• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Chromecast with Google TV

Search This thread

Note10.1Dude

Dec 17, 2013
California
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3
Hi forum mates,
I don't see a specific sub-thread for the new Chromecast yet, so I'm going to ask here figuring somebody has one and has been playing with it.

I noticed the remote has a power and input button. I have a 2019 Samsung TV with an awful interface that is mostly an ad-server (I don't even have it network connected) that I use 90% for my laptop. I would like to use it with the chromecast and figure it I can turn it off and on and change the input back and forth between different HDMI ports, I can throw out the Samsung remote. Anyone try this?

Thanks in advance,
The Dude abides.

Reactions: cutederf

techsican

Oct 7, 2010
DFW Area
I just got one and I set it up on a crappy Dynex TV that's next to my work desk at home. It does have the ability to power on and off the TV and input. Unfortunately the input option doesn't work from my TV but it is available. Of course, it also has volume controls. Not that I got it all setup, I'm going move to my LG TV. Switching TV controls is pretty easy and the name brands appear first before you have to search for all the off-brands. LG, Sony, Samsung, etc all appear on the initial list of TV's available, so I'm pretty sure they're supported.

binglejellsx2

Dec 29, 2009
In my experience, the input button doesn't switch through the different TV inputs. It only works when your TV isn't on the correct inputs that the Chromecast is using.

ie Chromecast is on TV input 1 and soundbar input 3, but you're currently on a gaming console that's TV input 2 and soundbar input 2. The CC remote input button will change the TV to input 1 and soundbar input 3 when pressed.

Reactions: portzblitz

vyze

Jan 2, 2012
Cape Cod
I got one yesterday. Volume and Power button work with 43" Toshiba Cast TV (43L621U).

When setting up the remote it took just the second pass on the volume and power button setups. The input button causes the input menu to jump around but nothing changes. The process was pretty easy. I named it Sabrina and moved it into the "living room" in the Home app. Voice commands like, "Ok Google, Play Mr Deeds on Netflix on Sabrina" and "Hey Google, turn on Sabrina" work but need to press the remote's power button to turn off the tv. I can live with that.

ckilps

Jul 3, 2012
Has anyone found a case/jacket for the remote it is o small? I have hisense 2018 tv, power and volume work but not input and telling google assistant to turn off tv, just turn off chromecast.

drchip42

Dec 12, 2014
have mine, works fine on my old sony TV and JML sound bar , only question is OTG , 1.3 GB of space is crazy.. so I tried to add some more via a OTG breakout box... with HDMI ( Non powered ) USB etc... it works with my phone ( Sam A71) but not the CC google TV. Does any have any good ideas for an OTG cable that works with the CC G TV ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi forum mates,
    I don't see a specific sub-thread for the new Chromecast yet, so I'm going to ask here figuring somebody has one and has been playing with it.

I noticed the remote has a power and input button. I have a 2019 Samsung TV with an awful interface that is mostly an ad-server (I don't even have it network connected) that I use 90% for my laptop. I would like to use it with the chromecast and figure it I can turn it off and on and change the input back and forth between different HDMI ports, I can throw out the Samsung remote. Anyone try this?

Thanks in advance,
    The Dude abides.
    In my experience, the input button doesn't switch through the different TV inputs. It only works when your TV isn't on the correct inputs that the Chromecast is using.

ie Chromecast is on TV input 1 and soundbar input 3, but you're currently on a gaming console that's TV input 2 and soundbar input 2. The CC remote input button will change the TV to input 1 and soundbar input 3 when pressed.
    Thanks, I'm still using the native Android on my 900E, but my Chromecast is definitely faster and more responsive and I may add one to the Sony too. I'll keep the Harmony remote for that setup.
    I don't have this issue, it work well on my TV