Chuwi hi9 Pro unlock, root, TWRP, etc.

Search This thread

nikaiako

Sep 3, 2018
Москва
Ok, one issue i have found - bluetooth doesn't work.
Battery also is drained more than on stock rom.
From Chuwi hi9 air forum: For the bluetooth to work on GSI AOSP 9.0 (v.123) one has to enable a workaround, that is to open phh treble settings > misc features > bluetooth workarounds > mediatek. Then reboot.
Please, check it and tell us if it is true.

asche81

Dec 28, 2012
From Chuwi hi9 air forum: For the bluetooth to work on GSI AOSP 9.0 (v.123) one has to enable a workaround, that is to open phh treble settings > misc features > bluetooth workarounds > mediatek. Then reboot.
Please, check it and tell us if it is true.

Yes, it works now. Thank you a lot!

Reactions: nikaiako

NikosD

Dec 29, 2012
Athens- Greece
The last few weeks, I got two or three times a weird behavior of Hi9 pro.

When I wake up in the morning, I see a message on screen saying "To start Android, enter your password" or something like that.
The message actually is in my native language, so I just try to translate it in English.

My password is not working and I don't remember putting a PIN or pattern on the device.

Also, I haven't set Android to ask for password before it starts.

Fortunately, I just power off the tablet and then power it on and it doesn't ask anything, so it boots normally.

Two questions:

1) Why and how is that happening, rarely, but always during night/ sleeping time ?

2) What could be the password ?

I'm thinking next time to try "default_password" or the pin/patterns I used to put, before putting a password that I have now.

Thanks!

It happened again this morning.

I tried "default_password" and yes it worked!

NikosD

Dec 29, 2012
Athens- Greece
Greetings everyone.

It's apparently my last post here as of today I killed my Hi9 Pro and buried it in a safe place (its box) just before it commits suicide (!)

I got my hands on Hi9 Pro at September 2018 and after around 18 months the battery started having problems with charging, specifically with its capacity.

Unfortunately today, after around 21 months, my tablet switched off in less than 1% percentage drop in literally a few seconds after I pull it from charger.
So, I took my final backup of my files and formatted + download last firmware for the last time before putting it in its box.

It was a great time here, I learned many things for Android in general and especially MediaTek devices.

I have already ordered my new Teclast tablet since May, but due to the COVID issue it will come approximately at the end of the month (hopefully)
I hope this time the battery will last longer!

Thanks everybody!
Take care!

chicagonyc

May 10, 2015
Just unearthed this from my cabinet. It's running stock Android 8.0. What's the newest and best ROM that can be installed? I'm not super familiar with GSI ROMS, by the way, just LineageOS official ROMS and their nice install guides.

Also, the TWRP on the guide is no longer available for download. Where should I go for this?

Last edited:

chicagonyc

May 10, 2015
I install phh release 123 (9.0) with the FASTBOOT method since a previous post mentioned success. It did install, however, I don't see any of the hardware buttons! I can't go home or go back. Swiping down from the top does work to bring up the settings screen.

Help!

Last edited:

nikaiako

Sep 3, 2018
Москва
I install phh release 123 (9.0) with the FASTBOOT method since a previous post mentioned success. It did install, however, I don't see any of the hardware buttons! I can't go home or go back. Swiping down from the top does work to bring up the settings screen.Help!
Hi!
Phh's release (9.0) that you've installed is eating battery on our tablet, not to speak of other glitches like yours.
The phh's release that fits best for Chuwi Hi9pro is AOSP 8.1 v32 (arm64-aonly). To install it, turn off your device and flash your regular firmware with SP Flash Tool. The next step is to flash the "system-arm64-aonly-vanilla-nosu.img" (or the variant with gapps) on top of your regular stock firmware.
You can do it also with SP Flash Tool. Put a tick against the "system" option in the SP Flash Tool menu, and then put the path to your respective "system.img" (i.e. AOSP 8.1.) file in the location column.
Leave all other options unchecked. Then flash the system.img in the "download only" mode.
When you are done, turn on your tablet and make a factory reset. You finished.
If something goes wrong, just turn off the tablet and flash it again with your regular stock firmware.

Last edited:

Przemo1995

Feb 8, 2021
Hi!
Phh's release (9.0) that you've installed is eating battery on our tablet, not to speak of other glitches like yours.
The phh's release that fits best for Chuwi Hi9pro is AOSP 8.1 v32 (arm64-aonly). To install it, turn off your device and flash your regular firmware with SP Flash Tool. The next step is to flash the "system-arm64-aonly-vanilla-nosu.img" (or the variant with gapps) on top of your regular stock firmware.
You can do it also with SP Flash Tool. Put a tick against the "system" option in the SP Flash Tool menu, and then put the path to your respective "system.img" (i.e. AOSP 8.1.) file in the location column.
Leave all other options unchecked. Then flash the system.img in the "download only" mode.
When you are done, turn on your tablet and make a factory reset. You finished.
If something goes wrong, just turn off the tablet and flash it again with your regular stock firmware.

Do i need root device to do this?i have stock rom 20181226 never rooted,this aosp is better than stock rom?

nikaiako

Sep 3, 2018
Москва
Do i need root device to do this?i have stock rom 20181226 never rooted,this aosp is better than stock rom?
Nope.
You do not need root to flash AOSP. All you need is a PC with SP Flash Tool installed (plus Chuwi drivers).

In turn, to get your Chuwi rooted you just need to flash a patched boot.img also via SPFT (before that you have to patch your stock boot.img with Magisk).

A stable stock 20181226 ROM is slightly better than AOSP.

However, in order to reduce energy consumption significantly you may want to flash vanilla aosp (the one without gapps).

UPD: Chuwi drivers are missing on their web site, so you can use, for example, Universal ADB Drivers instead.

Last edited:

Przemo1995

Feb 8, 2021
Nope.
You do not need root to do this. All you need is a PC with SP Flash Tool installed (plus Chuwi drivers).
To get your Chuwi rooted you just need to flash a patched boot.img also via SPFT (before that you have to patch your stock boot.img with Magisk).
A stable stock 20181226 ROM is slightly better than AOSP.
However, in order to reduce energy consumption significantly you may want to flash vanilla aosp (the one without gapps).

UPD: Chuwi drivers are missing on their web site, so you can use, for example, Universal ADB Drivers instead.

Hi i do root just like you said the root its work but battery drain 5 percent on 1 minute.you know how im gonna wrong?im still using 20181226 ROM i root boot.img and patchedbiit.img using ADB fastboot im unlock bootloader and flash patchedboot.img after that tablet run like first using im must config everything like in the new device after that everythink work but battery fast drain.im using magiskmanager

nikaiako

Sep 3, 2018
Москва
Hi i do root just like you said the root its work but battery drain 5 percent on 1 minute.you know how im gonna wrong?im still using 20181226 ROM i root boot.img and patchedbiit.img using ADB fastboot im unlock bootloader and flash patchedboot.img after that tablet run like first using im must config everything like in the new device after that everythink work but battery fast drain.im using magiskmanager
Hi.
I have no idea why there's a problem with the battery on your device after you rooted it. Probably smth went wrong in the process. What you observe is not normal. I haven't experienced battery drain after rooting of the stock ROM.

Sorry, I'd rather start from the very beginning then.

This is absolutely normal that your device got the factory reset effect after you flashed the boot.img. It is always like that.

In a case this is the first time you do modding, then thoroughly read Page 1 of this thread, please.

There are three ways to get root access on Chuwi Hi9Pro. All three assume that you enabled OEM unlocking in the Developer options menu.

1. You install TWRP and then flash magisk.zip with it.

>>>The latest version of Magisk (v22.0) has just an apk.file, and I know nothing yet about how it works.
And I recommend that you use a magisk version not higher than 21.3 on a stock ROM.<<<
--------------------------------

The next two methods of getting root access assume that you take a boot.img from your stock firmware and patch it with a respective Magisk manager on your own tablet. Use a magisk manager version not higher than 8.0.4 or 8.0.5 to avoid glitches.

--------------------------------------
2. You get root access via ADB Fastboot.

Here you flash the patched.boot.img in the following order:

a) Connect the tablet to the computer, take the file "patched_boot.img" and paste it into the computer inside the folder "ADB + Fastboot" that we have in the Drive C:\.
b) Switch off the tablet
c) Press and hold Power and Vol +
d) When some small letters appear on the screen, release the buttons and then select Fastboot Mode. To do this, move along the list with the key Vol + and confirm with Vol -
e) Connect the tablet to the computer
f) In the folder "ADB + Fastboot" that is on the Drive C:\ run run-adb.exe
g) When the command window opens, type these commands:

adb devices

fastboot devices

fastboot oem unlock

(Here we will see a message on the screen of the tablet where we'll have to confirm if we are sure to unblock the bootloader. Here with the key "Vol +" we confirm the Yes)

fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img

h) Finally we type this command to restart the tablet:

fastboot reboot
----------------------------------------------

3. You get root access via SP Flash Tool.

Put a tick against the "boot" option in the SP Flash Tool menu, and then put the path to your respective "patched.boot.img" file in the location column.
Leave all other options unchecked. Then flash the patched.boot.img in the "download only" mode.
(After that I'd better make a factory reset once again).
--------------------
UPD: As you see, I didn't mention that you have to unlock bootloader before you flash patched.boot.img with SP Flash Tool. It is right. This method works on my tablet (CWI548) on both original 20180801 and the hybrid 20181226 (i.e.with 20180801 boot.img) ROMs. May be, the battery drain on your device after this method of rooting has smth to do with the fact that you (probably) have the CWI532 model?

Last edited:

amg314

Feb 7, 2017
Kharkov
The trivial cause of a 5%/min battery leak is bad battery and / or bad charge controller. In this case, contact the service department.

In case of software problems, you can test the system using special apps.

If there is a large drain in a stand-by mode, use BetterBatteryStats app.
In operation mode analyze battery leak with the GSam Battery app.

Przemo1995

Feb 8, 2021
Hi.
I have no idea why there's a problem with the battery on your device after you rooted it. Probably smth went wrong in the process. What you observe is not normal. I haven't experienced battery drain after rooting of the stock ROM.

Sorry, I'd rather start from the very beginning then.

This is absolutely normal that your device got the factory reset effect after you flashed the boot.img. It is always like that.

In a case this is the first time you do modding, then thoroughly read Page 1 of this thread, please.

There are three ways to get root access on Chuwi Hi9Pro. All three assume that you enabled OEM unlocking in the Developer options menu.

1. You install TWRP and then flash magisk.zip with it.

>>>The latest version of Magisk (v22.0) has just an apk.file, and I know nothing yet about how it works.
And I recommend that you use a magisk version not higher than 21.3 on a stock ROM.<<<
--------------------------------

The next two methods of getting root access assume that you take a boot.img from your stock firmware and patch it with a respective Magisk manager on your own tablet. Use a magisk manager version not higher than 8.0.4 or 8.0.5 to avoid glitches.

--------------------------------------
2. You get root access via ADB Fastboot.

Here you flash the patched.boot.img in the following order:

a) Connect the tablet to the computer, take the file "patched_boot.img" and paste it into the computer inside the folder "ADB + Fastboot" that we have in the Drive C:\.
b) Switch off the tablet
c) Press and hold Power and Vol +
d) When some small letters appear on the screen, release the buttons and then select Fastboot Mode. To do this, move along the list with the key Vol + and confirm with Vol -
e) Connect the tablet to the computer
f) In the folder "ADB + Fastboot" that is on the Drive C:\ run run-adb.exe
g) When the command window opens, type these commands:

adb devices

fastboot devices

fastboot oem unlock

(Here we will see a message on the screen of the tablet where we'll have to confirm if we are sure to unblock the bootloader. Here with the key "Vol +" we confirm the Yes)

fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img

h) Finally we type this command to restart the tablet:

fastboot reboot
----------------------------------------------

3. You get root access via SP Flash Tool.

Put a tick against the "boot" option in the SP Flash Tool menu, and then put the path to your respective "patched.boot.img" file in the location column.
Leave all other options unchecked. Then flash the patched.boot.img in the "download only" mode.
(After that I'd better make a factory reset once again).
--------------------
UPD: As you see, I didn't mention that you have to unlock bootloader before you flash patched.boot.img with SP Flash Tool. It is right. This method works on my tablet (CWI548) on both original 20180801 and the hybrid 20181226 (i.e.with 20180801 boot.img) ROMs. May be, the battery drain on your device after this method of rooting has smth to do with the fact that you (probably) have the CWI532 model?

Ok thanks the problem gone after charge the tablet, weird.i have last question is any way to get netflix in hd, i try old betflix HD APP mod ITS work but the old version dont have 10 second movie scrolling option, i also try patch netflix 7.44 in lucky patcher and ITS not work i also try to install magisk DRM disable module but it bootloop tablet.

nikaiako

Sep 3, 2018
Москва
Ok thanks the problem gone after charge the tablet, weird.i have last question is any way to get netflix in hd, i try old betflix HD APP mod ITS work but the old version dont have 10 second movie scrolling option, i also try patch netflix 7.44 in lucky patcher and ITS not work i also try to install magisk DRM disable module but it bootloop tablet.
To my regret, i do not use netflix at all. Can't help you, sorry.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you dont have full ROM backup from your device or official ROM, dont do anything in terms of modding but to install vcom drivers (in my case they wont work without Virtual Serial Port Drivers) for bootloader, and adb/fastboot drivers, make sure theyre working, install Miracle Box / SPFlashTool (or similar ?) to be able to backup/flash your ROM/partitions from/to your device.
    Check if it works for you (ie backup your ROM and try to flash something (cache) back.

Now when people are scared enough I want to tell you that it is almost impossible to kill (brick) your MTK phone, it happens mostly when people flash something that is not suppoused to be flashed (something from another device), the worst case if you flash wrong preloader or erase preloader but even after this there is a chance for resurrection. it takes time and efforts though.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    This is TWRP 3.2.2.0 recovery for Chuwi hi9 Pro.
    Partitions available for backup:
    boot, recovery, system, vendor, data (not incl. data/media = internal sd), cache and "para" (if you have got "recovery loop" - flash "para")
    .img flashable - boot, recovery

look for detailed instructions for coomon things in other treads, like
    - how to install bootloader vcom drivers and adb / fastboot drivers
    - How to work with adb / fastboot command from your computer cmd window.
    - how to use Miracle Box / SPFlashToll
    This is detailed instruction how to make SPFlash backup out of your phone though Miracle Box does it in one click (well, almost)
    - how to unlock bootloader (fastboot mode)
    - how to use toilet paper (manual mode)
    - how to install twrp recovery
    - how to root
    Unlock, Install, Root in one post
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    So, main point of this thread is TWRP, youll need:
    - roll of toilet paper
    - spflashtool backup (just in case)
    - backup of your data (if you care) - your data will be erased during the process.
    - unlocked bootloader
    - twrp image

If something went wrong (highly unlikely), but "if".
    Worst case scenerio: your phone will not boot into system / recovery
    Solution: reflash (fastboot or flash tool): boot / recovery / system
    Worst case scenerio: flash factory ROM (SPFlashTool)

Steps to do when you have all knowledge and all files ready.
    IN YOUR CURRENT SYSTEM
    In settings->System->About tablet -> click several times "build number" untill you see message "now you are developer"
    In settings->System->Developer options: Enable USB debugging and OEM Unlock, connect cable
    REBOOT INTO FASTBOOT
    Power off, Power on holding "vol+"
    Youll see black screen with 3 strings of menu (very small font):
    - recovery
    - fastboot
    - system
    use "vol+" for navigation, use "vol-" to confirm your choice (fastboot)
    OR from your pc cmd window (shift+right click on adb folder -> choose "open command window here") type: adb reboot bootloader
    press Enter
    UNLOCK BOOTLOADER
    on your pc (if cmd window is not ooened yet: shift+right click on adb folder -> choose "open command window here") type: fastboot oem unlock
    press Enter
    watch your phone and pc screen for messages
    if you have vision problems, make sure you have a magnifying glass.
    INSTALL TWRP
    download hi9pro_twrp.img to your /adb folder
    from the same cmd window type:
    fastboot flash recovery hi9pro_twrp.img
    Reboot into twrp and flash Magisk
    Basically this is it
    There is no command from fastboot to reboot into recovery (correct me)
    You can power of, power on holding "vol+", choose "recovery" from menu
    command to reboot into system: fastboot reboot
    +++++++++++++++
    * NEW *
    Infect_Ed has posted TWRP recovery that he has compiled from source. DOWNLOAD FROM HERE
    We don't know how to make twrp recovery work with encrypted data partition.
    Read next paragraph if you are OK to trade security (encripred userdata) for functionality.
    ++++++++++
    ==========
    In case you want to have your userdata decrypted (and full functional twrp), use following steps:
    *** Please, note all userdata AND internal SD will be wiped during the process***
    If you care
    Save Internal SD card content to your ext.SD or computer
    Make a Titanium backup of user apps (check Enable external data backup in Titanium settings)
    If Titanium fails to write to your ext.SD than change Titanium backup folder location to int.SD
    and after backup is done copy Titanium backup folder to ext.SD or PC.
    Disable any passwords/pins from Settings->Security & Locations
    (I know they are stored in /data/.. and will be erased anyway but just in case)
    - Reboot into TWRP
    - ftom TWRP -> Wipe ->Format userdata -> Confirm with "yes"
    do not reboot into system
    - flash encryption_prevener_hi9pro.zip to prevent system automatically encrypt userdata (it is used to insert modified fstab.mt6797 into vendor/etc)
    - reboot system
    - restore your int.SD content and apps
    ============

Link to official ROM/Firnware

*** Read this if you have Recovery Loop - no matter how you boot (buttons, from twrp recovery or from adb/fastboot shell) your device you always end up in TWRP recovery ***
    - download 2018-09-29--para.zip
    - unzip it - there is a folder 2018-09-29--para with 3 files inside
    - connect your phone in twrp recovery mode to your computer
    (you may need to turm "enable mtp" option in TWRP->mount)
    - copy that folder into your sd card, the path is : TWRP/Backups/Hi9Pro
    - click "Restore" (on the next screen make sure ExtSD is chosen as backup path)
    - check checkbox "para", run restore, reboot
    explanation: para is a partition contains last issued kernel reboot flag(command), like "reboot to recovery, reboot to system, etc." I think there is one flag that tells to kernel something like "reboot to recovery, do something untill its done", since this "something" never done, device reboots into recovery over and over again. This happend to me when I tried "factory reset" command from android settings, so android have sent my device into recovery mode where that "factory reset" command had to be performed but never done because its now not stock recovery but twrp.
    **** If you have following problems:
    Unknown Baseband -> Unknown IMEI -> NO sim card -> NO cell network
    Look here first
    ***** If you came here from there.*****
    and you are following their instructions, please, note, step 7. Unlock bootloader : DO NOT DO command "fastboot flashing unlock", just skip it.
    Also, try to avoid "fastboot boot recovery.img" command to reboot into recovery (just use physical buttons for reboot). I'm not sure but something caused "recovery loop" in one case at least.
    ****** back-to-encr.zip if you want to encrypt your decrypted userdata (original fstab.mt6797 will be flashed, no data loss, you will not be able to mount userdata in TWRP, first boot may take long time due to encryption process - 10-60 min- depends how much data do you have)
    ******* twrp_recovery_chuwi-hi9pro_infectEd-XL is same Infect_Ed recovery adopted for our screen.
    let see tomorrow again, i will help you more if you need.. now i need to go to sleep..

Yeah you're going to have to use spflash and restore that way. I was there at one point.

---------- Post added at 07:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

Here's my latest TWRP build from source if anyone would like to try.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EvPdYfMgdVVLnmpxPNWIGLyEc4Wd6wWV
    Edited because I tagged the wrong person ??
    @zelipukin
    I have started my base tree and have boot on TWRP, built from source. Touch axis is jacked up right now. I'll have it fixed up soon. Once I get that solid, I'll start working on getting a solid device tree going to get this thing booting on Pie. This is not a pic of your ported TWRP from hi9 air. This was built by me last night.

https://github.com/chuwi-hi9/android_device_chuwi_hi9pro
    ouch, look flashing magisk 18+ is not rooting anymore, I have to switch back to 17.1 and refuse the uoadte of magisk manager, since if you uodate, magisk mangaer 7 won't allow you to update the magisk but just to patch the boot.img.
    Doease someone as already the 18+ magisk patched boot .ini to flash with twrp?
    Thank you ;)
    Try using TWRP to flash Magisk.
    It worked for me using Magisk 18 and Magisk Manager v6.1.0
    Haven't tried yet newer versions.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

I tested several Pie GSI. They all started and worked on my Chuwi with minor issues.

However, the speed of my tablet has slightly decreased, and all the GSI has been adapted for phones small displays.
    I have not found any advantages with Treble GSI.
    Therefore, I returned to the Oreo stock firmware (Magisk, microG, Xposed, etc.)
    Yes of course Hi9 Pro is a Treble supported device.

But personally I think I'm going to wait for Chuwi releasing stock Android 9 for our device in summer, unless we are lucky enough and a developer catches Android Pie first.
    Hi Guys we have the proper rom from official source.

https://forum.chuwi.com/thread-6438-1-1.html
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone