Class Action Lawsuit Against LG over Bootloop Manufacturing Defect

Search This thread

ashokabs

Mar 9, 2011
New Delhi
How long is that extended warranty good for? I got mine replaced and it's bootlooping too.

Strange indeed. I got my phone through Google Store. On contacting them I was asked to contact LG to whom they had sent an email. I went to LG Service Center in Delhi, India and got my motherboard replaced free of cost by LG. When I asked what would happen if it went into bootloop again. I was told that some improvements were made so it should not happen again. I am inclined not to believe that statement. It's been 3 months and my phone is still working.

merothh

Sep 6, 2014
Strange indeed. I got my phone through Google Store. On contacting them I was asked to contact LG to whom they had sent an email. I went to LG Service Center in Delhi, India and got my motherboard replaced free of cost by LG. When I asked what would happen if it went into bootloop again. I was told that some improvements were made so it should not happen again. I am inclined not to believe that statement. It's been 3 months and my phone is still working.

I just took apart my phone to hair dry and try to unlock the bootloader so that I could use the 4 core fix. Should I look into sending my phone to LG service ? It hasn't been bought from Google Store and is out of the 1 Year warranty.

DCnovicky

Jun 13, 2010
I just took apart my phone to hair dry and try to unlock the bootloader so that I could use the 4 core fix. Should I look into sending my phone to LG service ? It hasn't been bought from Google Store and is out of the 1 Year warranty.
Yes you should! I bought my phone off ebay and was past the one year warranty and they didn't care. Didn't want a pic of the receipt just a pic of the imei number. Just go on LG site and speak to a rep any tell them your phone went into a boot loop after receiving the most recent update.

merothh

Sep 6, 2014
Yes you should! I bought my phone off ebay and was past the one year warranty and they didn't care. Didn't want a pic of the receipt just a pic of the imei number. Just go on LG site and speak to a rep any tell them your phone went into a boot loop after receiving the most recent update.

I'm from India. Where are you from ?

ashokabs

Mar 9, 2011
New Delhi
No harm in trying

I was not sure LG would react favourably even after the Google email to them. No harm in trying.

ljold

Dec 7, 2017
I have also experienced the Bootloader issue with my Nexus 5X. I contacted Google, who told me that I am out of warranty, and I should contact LG. I am based in Canada, so I contacted LG Canada, and they say that cannot repair the phone as it isn't a 'Canadian' Nexus 5X, it is 'US' Nexus 5X, with a US IMEI. They advised me to contact LG US. LG US will not ship to Canada, and advised me to speak to Google about the incorrect IMEI number.

I contact Google Support again, who admit that they should have sent me a Canadian Nexus-5X, and will 'negotiate' with LG Canada to resolve the situation.

Over 10 cumulative hours on the phone, and 15 days later with no resolve, or time frame for a resolve. Only an email from Google Customer Support Team saying that they are still figuring out the situation and to 'be patient' for longer. Completely unacceptable customer service!

I was also informed that there are other customers in this situation.

At this point, the Google Support Team are not resolving their mistake promptly, and I'm left with no other option but to file a consumer complaint with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Service.

I hope everyone is having more luck with Google Support Team than I am!

Reactions: poondog

pdolo5784

Jul 24, 2010
I had the booting error. I bought my phone a year and a half ago. LG states that if it is the hardware issues causing the booting problems, they extend that warranty for 22 months. I sent it in last month and they fixed it for free. Took 1 and a half weeks from shipping it out and receiving it back. Major props to LG for fixing it for me

Reactions: poondog

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
I had the booting error. I bought my phone a year and a half ago. LG states that if it is the hardware issues causing the booting problems, they extend that warranty for 22 months. I sent it in last month and they fixed it for free. Took 1 and a half weeks from shipping it out and receiving it back. Major props to LG for fixing it for me

Hey mate, where are you from? I just sent mine through the retailer I bought it from here in Australia
Sent it to LG who said they'd honor the warranty. Poor guy behind me was just buying a LG V30+ for $1199.. hopefully LG have ironed out their issues

TheeWolf

Oct 8, 2011
I have also experienced the Bootloader issue with my Nexus 5X. I contacted Google, who told me that I am out of warranty, and I should contact LG. I am based in Canada, so I contacted LG Canada, and they say that cannot repair the phone as it isn't a 'Canadian' Nexus 5X, it is 'US' Nexus 5X, with a US IMEI. They advised me to contact LG US. LG US will not ship to Canada, and advised me to speak to Google about the incorrect IMEI number.

I contact Google Support again, who admit that they should have sent me a Canadian Nexus-5X, and will 'negotiate' with LG Canada to resolve the situation.

Over 10 cumulative hours on the phone, and 15 days later with no resolve, or time frame for a resolve. Only an email from Google Customer Support Team saying that they are still figuring out the situation and to 'be patient' for longer. Completely unacceptable customer service!

At this point, the Google Support Team are not resolving their mistake promptly, and I'm left with no other option but to file a consumer complaint with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Service.

There are companies who keep storage room in the US (and give you a US address), so that you can ship stuff you buy to where you live. I found this one for you:
http://myusaddress.ca/shipping-storage/what-can-be-shipped/

Hope it helps....

curiousbeing

Nov 14, 2017
Both Google and LG should be sued or they should take back or refund all Nexus 5X boot-looping devices for releasing untested and unqualified software and hardware. I wish someday a court would rule justice for the customers and who ever the culprit is should never do it again!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally we are also covered by the lawsuit: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...expands-to-cover-g5-v20-and-nexus-5x-devices/

Given the absolutely horrendous treatment by both Google and LG (both claiming that it's not their problem), we got nothing out of either for my wife's bootlooping phone.
    Phone was 21 days out of warranty. Uncaring and heartless bastards. Already canceled Google Fi and in the process of moving emails from gmail to outlook.com.
    Finally we are also covered by the lawsuit: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...expands-to-cover-g5-v20-and-nexus-5x-devices/

Given the absolutely horrendous treatment by both Google and LG (both claiming that it's not their problem), we got nothing out of either for my wife's bootlooping phone.
    Phone was 21 days out of warranty. Uncaring and heartless bastards. Already canceled Google Fi and in the process of moving emails from gmail to outlook.com.

I don't know about you, but Google just replaced my phone ,out of warranty, for free. Great customer service, in my opinion.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone