• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Class Action Lawsuit against OnePlus launched

Search This thread

goodburner

Dec 6, 2012
More details about lawsuit here - http://www.bursor.com/legal-action-against-one-plus/

If you purchased a OnePlus 9 or OnePlus 9 Pro smartphone at any point, we would like to hear from you about your experiences.

On July 6th, AnandTech reported that the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro smartphones were throttling popular apps, resulting in “inexplicable” slowdown. AnandTech further reported that “OnePlus is blacklisting popular applications away from its fastest cores [in the Snapdragon 888 processor], causing slow down in typical workloads such as web browsing.” AnandTech found that this throttling causes “most of the top popular [user] apps [to] get notably reduced performance” in the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Pro smartphones.

awsan

Apr 22, 2015
This must be the biggest tech joke ever.

So users didn't know the phone was throttling as there were no issues in the apps it was throttled in and now after discovering it, its a problem??

This is the "If I paid for the whole speedometer I'm gonna use the whole speedometer" mentality that made humans lose a few years of advancement

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017

So users didn't know the phone was throttling as there were no issues in the apps it was throttled in and now after discovering it, its a problem??

This is the "If I paid for the whole speedometer I'm gonna use the whole speedometer" mentality that made humans lose a few years of advancement
Wolkswagen cheating on emission tests wasn't an issue either, people didn't notice it was polluting way more than they said it was, so when they got caught they got fined hard but by your logic if people won't notice it's fine?

Apple was too caught throttling but most people didn't notice so it's also fine?

MOD EDIT: please re-phrase your comments and be civil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bunecarera

Mar 4, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Try to keep it civilised...

The argument about VW doesn't make sense.
VW got fined because they polluted more then they were allowed.
And so breaking the emission rules.
There are no rules regarding smartphone speed...
Also, the cars used more fuel then VW made people believe. Because they cheated the tests...
So if you bought a car thinking it would use X amount of fuel, in reality it used waaay more.
So more expensive as a consumer.

You do not need to charge your phone more because of this. Rather the contrary.

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017
Try to keep it civilised...

The argument about VW doesn't make sense.
VW got fined because they polluted more then they were allowed.
And so breaking the emission rules.
There are no rules regarding smartphone speed...
Also, the cars used more fuel then VW made people believe. Because they cheated the tests...
So if you bought a car thinking it would use X amount of fuel, in reality it used waaay more.
So more expensive as a consumer.

You do not need to charge your phone more because of this. Rather the contrary.
There are no rules regarding phone speed or how much it produces CO2 sure, but it's still deceitful towards customers and that's illegal in most countries, advertising something that's not true.

Fikul

Mar 25, 2011
Mysłowice
OnePlus 9 Pro
Wolkswagen cheating on emission tests wasn't an issue either, people didn't notice it was polluting way more than they said it was, so when they got caught they got fined hard but by your logic if people won't notice it's fine?

Apple was too caught throttling but most people didn't notice so it's also fine?

Your argument is garbage and it's honestly a shame to see people like you on an enthusiast forum. Maybe if you had more braincells you would've actually noticed that the performance when browsing wasn't quite there.

People like you are the reason why companies can keep exploiting customers with false promises and get away with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fikul

Mar 25, 2011
Mysłowice
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thank them? Are you mentally sane? Samsung has the same chip without this throttling and has better battery life lol. And why would I wait for their slow ass developers to create the toggle when I have been running without TPD/OPPerf for weeks now and it's completely fine? This phone gets hot even with that throttling enabled. This phone has deficient thermal design and battery life and all this software does is try to somewhat hide it lmao.
I switched from Samsung S21+ to OP9 pro and i see no difference in battery life, both phones have thermal issues because it's more Snap888 thing.
So all actions made to get better battery life without causing any slowdowns are welcome.

Stop crying and thank them that phone has better battery and generates less heat in these apps.
And if your cry will not stop, wait for Android 12, you will be able yo turn it off and fry an egg on the back of the phone if you want.

Would you still buy a 256GB upgrade knowing that the added 128GB is locked off to allow the phone to appear less full? I completely agree with setting parameters that cause a restriction, but not package names.

aNGERY

Aug 6, 2017
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 9 Pro
I switched from Samsung S21+ to OP9 pro and i see no difference in battery life, both phones have thermal issues because it's more Snap888 thing.
So all actions made to get better battery life without causing any slowdowns are welcome.

there's a world of difference in performance with the OPPerf module flashed. I paid for a phone with X specs. I got a phone that isn't any better (and sometimes worse) in real world usage than my 7 Pro was.

aNGERY

Aug 6, 2017
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 9 Pro
I really don't understand why people are simping over OnePlus. They're still good phones and a pretty good company, but they boned 9 owners with this throttling.

"Let's limit the performance and hope they don't notice!".

They made a mistake, they got caught, let's see how they fix it.

There should be an option to enable or disable throttling based on user preference. Not just a blanket throttling.

Burt Squirtz

Feb 11, 2018
Thank them? Are you mentally sane? Samsung has the same chip without this throttling and has better battery life lol. And why would I wait for their slow ass developers to create the toggle when I have been running without TPD/OPPerf for weeks now and it's completely fine? This phone gets hot even with that throttling enabled. This phone has deficient thermal design and battery life and all this software does is try to somewhat hide it lmao.
This is exactly right.

Reactions: thirtythr33

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
"Thank you Sir! May I have another!"
This is messed up and sounds like it's not correctable... insufficient heat sinking.
The cover up is always worse then the initial crime🤣

awsan

Apr 22, 2015

Your argument is garbage and it's honestly a shame to see people like you on an enthusiast forum. Maybe if you had more braincells you would've actually noticed that the performance when browsing wasn't quite there.

People like you are the reason why companies can keep exploiting customers with false promises and get away with it.
This is the most ironic answer I have ever seen, Like holly shhhh it my dude

Did you read what you wrote for a second.

I would recommend taking a little more Iodine as the lack of Iodine responsible for the lack of logic.

I have had the 7pro(7 months),7t(3 months),8(1 month),8pro(6 months) and the 9pro(almost 4 months)

I have a minimum of 70+ apps installed at all time, I have never faced any slowdowns or lag on the phone.

You want me to sue them for limiting the performance of the CPU on apps that wont take use of it? why not OC the CPU to run the calculator?

When ever the app needs performance its there when ever it doesn't need it, its not there.

That is basic logic, I work within the laptops industry, I have good understanding of how PowerLimits, TDPs and wattages should be monitored on a mobile device this happens all the time, a customer wants to whole wattage and performance and the engineer knows its impossible to keep the device cool enough to preform reasonably.

its whole rabbit hole that I cant even convey properly, you getting angry because they did this proves you dont understand the logic behind it.

Go do your thing and cry for something stupid that will divert their focus from something important to deal with this.

Last edited:

fdgfgd

Nov 22, 2017

I would recommend taking a little more Iodine as the lack of Iodine responsible for the lack of logic.

I have had the 7pro(7 months),7t(3 months),8(1 month),8pro(6 months) and the 9pro(almost 4 months)

I have a minimum of 70+ apps installed at all time, I have never faced any slowdowns or lag on the phone.

You want me to sue them for limiting the performance of the CPU on apps that wont take use of it? why not OC the CPU to run the calculator?

When ever the app needs performance its there when ever it doesn't need it, its not there.

That is basic logic, I work within the laptops industry, I have good understanding of how PowerLimits, TDPs and wattages should be monitored on a mobile device this happens all the time, a customer wants to whole wattage and performance and the engineer knows its impossible to keep the device cool enough to preform reasonably.

its whole rabbit hole that I cant even convey properly, you getting angry because they did this proves you dont understand the logic behind it.

Go do your thing and cry for something stupid that will divert their focus from something important to deal with this.
How is the amount of apps installed on your phone relevant here? It's not going to affect CPU thread management or clocks, we're not talking about storage speed here lol.

Limiting CPU on apps that wont make use of it? Are you serious, haha, you do know how sophisticated browsers are and that you can run complex software in them that can and will use up all the CPU power a machine has. You can run games in the browser, run multi threaded background tasks in Web Workers, build complex Javascript applications in it that can do any kind of graphical or not calculations. It's not the 90's anymore bro, the browser isn't a simple program to view HTML files anymore. Chrome is basically an OS at this point hence why ChromeOS exists. And it's clearly evident that you nor OnePlus realizes that.

If you work in the laptop industry then you should know that not a single manufacturer is doing blacklist/whitelist based CPU limiting and the CPU is only throttled when you run into thermal limits or you THE USER choose to use a power saving which usually slightly throttles GPU/CPU.

The 888 chip was designed so that the X1 Prime core is used for short lived intensive tasks when for example opening a new website and the Javascript needs to be parsed and executed, but OnePlus decided that they don't like it and disable or throttle it heavily going against Qualcomm's design.

Why even put the 888 in the phone if you're going to throttle it so it wouldn't be ever used in it's full potential, just for marketing and then hope clueless people like you eat it up?

Fikul

Mar 25, 2011
Mysłowice
OnePlus 9 Pro
How is the amount of apps installed on your phone relevant here? It's not going to affect CPU thread management or clocks, we're not talking about storage speed here lol.

Limiting CPU on apps that wont make use of it? Are you serious, haha, you do know how sophisticated browsers are and that you can run complex software in them that can and will use up all the CPU power a machine has. You can run games in the browser, run multi threaded background tasks in Web Workers, build complex Javascript applications in it that can do any kind of graphical or not calculations. It's not the 90's anymore bro, the browser isn't a simple program to view HTML files anymore. Chrome is basically an OS at this point hence why ChromeOS exists. And it's clearly evident that you nor OnePlus realizes that.

If you work in the laptop industry then you should know that not a single manufacturer is doing blacklist/whitelist based CPU limiting and the CPU is only throttled when you run into thermal limits or you THE USER choose to use a power saving which usually slightly throttles GPU/CPU.
And your using smartphone for all of this stuff ? Impressive ;)
I'm not saying that they did it correctly, throttling is not an issue but the fact that they didn't inform customers about it was a mistake.
Anyway Spap 888 didn't give us only performance, there is also video and photo processing, modems and other advantages of having it, so don't tell me that they could use for example Snap 865 in OP9 Pro.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello,
    Some of you may notice I edited some posts above, because I believe users can find better words to express their opinions than previous ones. So I give you guys a puzzle to solve: discuss hot topics without killing each other. :)

Please do remember our rules and be civil to each other during the journey to solve the puzzle. :p

And a reminder, if you did not solve the puzzle and continue speaking disrespectfully, then I will start killing everyone on this thread. :cool:

Jerry
    Forum Moderator

The 888 chip was designed so that the X1 Prime core is used for short lived intensive tasks when for example opening a new website and the Javascript needs to be parsed and executed, but OnePlus decided that they don't like it and disable or throttle it heavily going against Qualcomm's design.

Why even put the 888 in the phone if you're going to throttle it so it wouldn't be ever used in it's full potential, just for marketing and then hope clueless people like you eat it up?