Cleaning HTC One

Search This thread

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
Hi guys,
I couldn`t find a topic about cleaning our phones, so here it goes.
I`m scared of using any kind of chemical before someone actually posts a good result after trying it :)
I assume that different parts of the phone must be cleaned differently:
1. White plastic around the phone - micro fiber towel alone doesn`t do the trick. I`ve heard that Mr. Clean Magic Erase cleans it well, but there is nothing like it that sells in my country. I would like to know if water or alcohol can be used without any harm to the plastic.
2. Aluminium parts - any kind of chemical that can clean it well ? The beats logo is awful looking after several days of use. I`ve heard that it can be removed completely with a nail polish removal . Also scared about trying it lol !
3. Speaker grills - toothbrush can do the trick, but does it work alone without any water, alcohol or something like that ?

Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks !

altimax98

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
I've used the eraser on the white but for the back all I use is a semi damp paper towel or towel. No chemicals. It wipes off the scuffs and the marks easily and safely

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
I've used the eraser on the white but for the back all I use is a semi damp paper towel or towel. No chemicals. It wipes off the scuffs and the marks easily and safely

What about the beats audio logo ? How can we remove it ? And anything else that works well except the eraser on the plastic ?

altimax98

Nov 7, 2008
Florida
any rubber eraser?

I meant 'the' eraser as in the Magic eraser.. being the plastic doesn't appear to be smooth a normal eraser would be a horrible idea lol

Personally I don't know how bad your phones are but a damp cloth works for me every time. Maybe try a tip of rubbing alcohol on a cloth and wiping down the plastic... as always start in a hidden area like maybe around the USB port

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Beirut
twitter.com
I meant 'the' eraser as in the Magic eraser.. being the plastic doesn't appear to be smooth a normal eraser would be a horrible idea lol

Personally I don't know how bad your phones are but a damp cloth works for me every time. Maybe try a tip of rubbing alcohol on a cloth and wiping down the plastic... as always start in a hidden area like maybe around the USB port

i switched my out of box phone with my cousin's one month used phone, so the whites are a little yellowed hence the question

damp cloth didn't do much, ill try to hunt down the eraser

Last edited:

schn1tt3r

May 11, 2013
Let me know how that Magic Eraser works. I am on vacations where they do sell it, but live in a place that doesn't so I'd take some with me if it works.

theotrman

May 29, 2011
EVERYWHERE!
Hi guys,
I`m scared of using any kind of chemical before someone actually posts a good result after trying it :)
1. White plastic around the phone - micro fiber towel alone doesn`t do the trick. I`ve heard that Mr. Clean Magic Erase cleans it well, but there is nothing like it that sells in my country. I would like to know if water or alcohol can be used without any harm to the plastic.
2. Aluminium parts - any kind of chemical that can clean it well ? The beats logo is awful looking after several days of use. I`ve heard that it can be removed completely with a nail polish removal . Also scared about trying it lol !
3. Speaker grills - toothbrush can do the trick, but does it work alone without any water, alcohol or something like that ?

I clean my phone often flipping between bare back and different cases.

I only use Eye Sunglass cleaner w/ a soft microfiber towel. Applying to the towel.

To clean the speakers, I use tape.

sent from my unrooted, uneventful, HTC ONE that I still love using Tapatalk! :D

Reactions: tomoffel

jags_the1

Aug 26, 2010
Hi guys,

I just take it to a swim once in a while. Works wonders. Highly recommended

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
I just take it to a swim once in a while. Works wonders. Highly recommended

lol

About the logo ... yeah ... mine is awful atm after just one week of use, but I don`t care about it that much, cause I don`t like it !

ECEXCURSION

Aug 20, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
www.lego.com
Nailpolish remover makes it super easy to remove the beats logo. I've used it to remove all the logos on my aluminum stereo equipment. I think beats is a joke and it looks better without it.

I also clean the back of my phone with spit and whatever shirt I'm wearing at the time... The front I clean with a microfiber cloth from an eye glass cleaning kit.

Sent from my HTC One

Xerro-Five

Apr 16, 2013
Vancouver
From my experiences, never use anything but a damp (water) microfiber cloth to clean the screen. Any chemicals (including various percentages of alcohol) will strip off the chemical coating on the glass that makes it so smooth to slide across and sheds finger oils. As for the back, a damp (again water) paper towel etc. Has always taken everything off of aluminum very easily for me. For plastics like the sides, a 5% isopropyl alcohol solution works well in most cases. Ethanol and other cleaners can react with the plastic depending on the type and turn it yellow. I don't know what the plastic here is, but why risk it? Also mine is still fine with that. This is also what most quality lcd cleaning solutions are if you don't want to mix it yourself.
The magic eraser is pretty awesome for removing really stubborn material though. And that includes the beats logo of you are so inclined :D but that's because it's abrasive so it will leave a dull patch on the plastic or aluminum if you use it too often. I can confirm though that one mild use on the aluminum won't leave a dull patch. Be especially careful around the shiny champfers.
For the yellow plastic is try the isopropyl alcohol first. Good luck :)

Reactions: hamdir

jmitr

May 18, 2008
Castlegar
I have a product called Endust Electronic, in a spray. I spray a hit onto a microfiber cloth and have used that to clean the white plastic.....works great. I use the same for the metal back, I NEVER use chemicals on the screen......very slightly damp microfiber, nothing more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I use lens cleaner for cameras and a lens cloth. Works awesome.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium
    Hi guys,

I clean my phone often flipping between bare back and different cases.

I only use Eye Sunglass cleaner w/ a soft microfiber towel. Applying to the towel.

To clean the speakers, I use tape.

sent from my unrooted, uneventful, HTC ONE that I still love using Tapatalk! :D
    From my experiences, never use anything but a damp (water) microfiber cloth to clean the screen. Any chemicals (including various percentages of alcohol) will strip off the chemical coating on the glass that makes it so smooth to slide across and sheds finger oils. As for the back, a damp (again water) paper towel etc. Has always taken everything off of aluminum very easily for me. For plastics like the sides, a 5% isopropyl alcohol solution works well in most cases. Ethanol and other cleaners can react with the plastic depending on the type and turn it yellow. I don't know what the plastic here is, but why risk it? Also mine is still fine with that. This is also what most quality lcd cleaning solutions are if you don't want to mix it yourself.
    The magic eraser is pretty awesome for removing really stubborn material though. And that includes the beats logo of you are so inclined :D but that's because it's abrasive so it will leave a dull patch on the plastic or aluminum if you use it too often. I can confirm though that one mild use on the aluminum won't leave a dull patch. Be especially careful around the shiny champfers.
    For the yellow plastic is try the isopropyl alcohol first. Good luck :)

I use ipa (iso propyl alcohol) impregnated wipe on screen and back and sides, works well, and after two months of daily cleaning I haven't noticed any deterioration in screen function or smoothness.

Personally I don't have any concerns about any screen coatings.
    If anyone can post links to sites that reliably evidenced that Corning Gorilla glass 2 is harmed by alcohol I would be interested

Well it seems I'm going to have to refute my own claim... After a bit of research (that I should have done in the beginning instead of just assuming OEM suggestions against using chemicals were right) according to this it looks like alcohol may be ok to use without a notable degradation of the coating. If you follow the link below it will take you to Corning's website. Go to the "innovating" tab, then click the link for "literature" and then "easy to clean coating". It will bring up a research paper on the durability of the coating. Specifically if you look at table 3 you'll see how it holds up to solvents (higher numbers are better here because the number before exposure is 111 apparently - lower means loss of coating). So both ethanol and isopropyl alcohol look like they're fine to use. Keep in mind though, these tests were done by just dipping the glass in solvent for 24hrs. If you were to wipe with the solvent it MAY cause damage, I don't know.
    All that being said, I'll probably still avoid it in case wiping does cause damage (which the post above me indicates that it does!) and because a cloth has almost always been good enough anyway :)

http://m.corninggorillaglass.com/smartphone/#_InnovatingWithGorilla

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone