• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Clockworkmod for the Mesmerize WORKING!

Search This thread

thescorpion420

Aug 21, 2010
Runnells
With the help of jt1134, we managed to get clockworkmod installed and functional on a Samsung Mesmerize. This will assume you have the android SDK installed and some knowledge of how to use adb.

First off you need to have your phone rooted. This can be done with SuperOneClick. You will also need a couple of files, recovery.bin and redbend_ua, both of which are attached to this post.

You will need to install redbend_ua first extract the zip file then;
Code:
adb push path/to/redbend_ua /sdcard/redbend_ua

then you need to make it executable
Code:
adb shell
su
chmod 777 /sdcard/redbend_ua

Now you need to move it to the /system/xbin
Code:
adb shell
su
mv /sdcard/redbend_ua /system/xbin/redbend_ua

Extract the recovery.zip and then we push the recovery.bin to the sd card.

Code:
adb push path/to/recovery.bin /sdcard/recovery.bin

Finally we need to flash the recovery.bin

Code:
redbend_ua restore /sdcard/recovery.bin /dev/block/bml8

After this the only thing left to do is download Rom Manager from the market and install the clockworkmod for the Fascinate. This is working on my Mesmerize. Please leave feedback!

Attachments

• redbend_ua.zip
    167.1 KB · Views: 1,559
  • recovery.zip
    5 MB · Views: 1,904
Last edited:

palisoulja1

May 20, 2009
hey guys this worked great for me! thanks. I ran into a problem though when trying to make the redbend_ua file executable while it was on my sdcard so i moved it to the root of my phone memory using root explorer, than I ran the command
adb shell
su
chmod 777 /redbend_ua

than to move the file I used the command

adb shell
su
mv /redbend_ua /system/xbin/redbend_ua

and than follow the remaining steps that thescorpion420 has posted up, it shouldnt take more than 5 minutes for the process, I am flashing a rom to my USCC mesmerize as we speak and I will report back!
Enjoy guys
And thanks to the devs for figuring this out.

palisoulja1

May 20, 2009
rom

ok so i was able to install a rom and not get an error, however I am stuck on the samsung screen when the phone boots up, it makes the power on noise, however it wont start up. any suggestions?

I tried to reflash the phone with a different rom and here is what happens when I go to install the rom
Finding update package
opening update package
installing update
deleting files
formatting system
copying files
deleting files
deleting files
deleting files
deleting files
deleting files
deleting files
deleting files
deleting files
deleting files
deleting files
installation complete
install from sdcard complete
Any ideas??

Last edited:

palisoulja1

May 20, 2009
working

hey guys, I freaked out and didnt think I had made a successful backup of my rom before messing with it but I found it and I got the phone to go back to stock. So now I'm going to try a few things to see if I can get some roms to install on this thing.

ganzhimself

Nov 23, 2010
Wow... Awesome news. Subbed for updates. Now to read some tutorials on how to get through the whole process... Won't be doing any flashing until I see someone confirm they got it up and running.

Reactions: cloudstrife7

mesmerbelly

Nov 25, 2010
okc
more help lol

now i get permission denied on the last step any hints as to what the heck im missing her sorry ima noob

palisoulja1

May 20, 2009
hey guys, so after trying different roms by different devs none of them are working with my mesmerize, I keep having to revert back to the original rom on the phone. Does anyone have any idea whats going on? I hate the stock rom and I want to change it.

mesmerbelly

Nov 25, 2010
okc

Ill start flashing roms as soon as I get this recovery installed I need help with it in okc anyone need some extra cash in okc help me out ill pay

palisoulja1

May 20, 2009
ok, so Im able to recover my phone back to stock all the time so what I'm looking for is someone who has a custom rom installed and has done a backup with clockworkmod and if they can upload the backup they made, I think this is going to be the easiest way to install roms on the mesmerize for now.
Thanks

dcow90

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 21, 2009
San Francisco
dcow.me
Originally Posted by mesmerbelly:
now i get permission denied on the last step any hints as to what the heck im missing her sorry ima noob

make sure you're using the root prompt # rather than the standard prompt $. This is why you're getting permission denied.

OKAY. So I have clockworkmod installed but when I try to backup my ROM it reboots into the recovery thing and then fails to update using the update.zip that clockwork downloaded. What should I do?

Last edited:

phidelt82

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 30, 2008
Just because you can get Clockwork Recovery for the Fascinate working with Rom Manager does not mean that you can start flashing Fascinate specific ROMs and/or kernels to your Mesmerize. You still have a Mesmerize and until the ROMs are made for the Mezmerize, or at least compatible, you can't use them. This is a great first step, though.

People are already pulling ROMs apart to make some of them compatible so it won't be too much longer.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With the help of jt1134, we managed to get clockworkmod installed and functional on a Samsung Mesmerize. This will assume you have the android SDK installed and some knowledge of how to use adb.

First off you need to have your phone rooted. This can be done with SuperOneClick. You will also need a couple of files, recovery.bin and redbend_ua, both of which are attached to this post.

You will need to install redbend_ua first extract the zip file then;
    Code:
    adb push path/to/redbend_ua /sdcard/redbend_ua

then you need to make it executable
    Code:
    adb shell
    su

Now you need to move it to the /system/xbin
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mv /sdcard/redbend_ua /system/xbin/redbend_ua

Extract the recovery.zip and then we push the recovery.bin to the sd card.

Code:

Finally we need to flash the recovery.bin

Code:

After this the only thing left to do is download Rom Manager from the market and install the clockworkmod for the Fascinate. This is working on my Mesmerize. Please leave feedback!
    My Method was to

Root (I used z4root)

Installed Root Explorer, Rom Manager, Better Terminal Emulater and Superuser.

Manually copied Both files to sdcard through USB using mass storage mode.

Used Root Explorer to copy redbend_ua to /system/xbin/redbend_ua

Used Root Explorer to change permissions *press and hold on file for menu* on both files to full permissions for all options.

then in Terminal Emulator

su *enter* to change prompt to Superuser

cd /system/xbin *enter* to change directory

redbend_ua restore /sdcard/recovery.bin /dev/block/bml8 *enter* FTW !!

*note spaces above are spaces and the bml8 is a L not a 1*

Then on to ROM Manager using Fascinate option and followed its prompts to flash. (I did the Super Clean for now and then the Voodoo kernel)

My experience at writing instructions sucks so anyone out there please feel free to copy and edit.

*EDIT* It worked that way for me however I have heard that one must copy BOTH files to

/system/xbin. Change permissions there and then copy the redbend_ua back to SD then run the command ..

Not sure why but was told that somehow permissions were defaulting but if done from phones system they will stick..

BTW.. All is working fantastically and could not be happier. Well almost, LOL.. I am probably gonna go with the Pick and Pack option soon as the ADW Launcher is not to my tastes. So probably will go to the Launcher Pro or just hang with the TW.
    I kept having problems with my SuperOneClick rooted Mesmerize. What I had to do was remove the SuperOneClick root and install z4root from the Market and use the Permanent Root. It takes a minute or two, then the system asks for permissions to allow Super User access. The SuperOneClick root might be the problem, as I was able to use my limited knowledge of the linux command shell to navigate the file system to the proper places on the phone to change permissions and execute the script. I outlined my process below to the best of my memory. You might have to tweak a few things, and to make things easier I had recovery.bin and redbend_ua in the same folder as adb.

I believe the steps I had to do to get this to work on my Mesmerize are as follows:

Copy redbend_ua to the SD card

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mv redbend_ua /sdcard/redbend_ua
    exit
    exit

Change permissions on redbend_ua
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    exit
    exit

Move redbend_ua to /system/xbin -> I still received the cross-device link error, so I tried using the cat command.

Code:
    cat /sdcard/redbend_ua > /system/xbin/redbend_ua

So... The commands are:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cat /sdcard/redbend_ua > /system/xbin/redbend_ua
    exit
    exit

Push recovery.bin to SD card
    Code:

Then, I attempted to run this command:
    Code:

Received a permissions error... So...

Change permissions on redbend_ua in the /system/xbin/redbend_ua folder
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cd /system/xbin
    chmod 777 redbend_ua
    exit
    exit

Flash the recovery.bin file.
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cd /system/xbin

That will flash the recovery.bin file and it will reboot your phone. Then you can install ROM Manager from the Market.

redbend_ua then ran and the console spit out:
    Code:
    RedBend Update Agent 6,1,14,1

FOTA : Make Block Device Nodes
    lcd_init(498): start!
    lcd_init(507): fb0 open success
    lcd_init(514): width = 480, height = 800
    page_msize: 4096, phy_unit_size: 262144
    src: /sdcard/recovery.bin
    dst: /dev/block/bml8 partition size: 0x780000
    part_size: 0x780000
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 262144 bytes
    read 221432 bytes
    read finished

After that finished, the phone restarted, and I was able to install Rom Manager. You can probably run the whole set of commands within the same adb session instead of exiting and starting a new session for each command. Now I'm just waiting on a good ROM. Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to get the Mesmerize this far.
    Wow... Awesome news. Subbed for updates. Now to read some tutorials on how to get through the whole process... Won't be doing any flashing until I see someone confirm they got it up and running.
    The posted kernel is *not* overclocked, that would require a complete recompile or someone whipping up a kernel module to adjust the cpu frequencies/voltages.

The kernel is the same as the ones I have been sharing for the fascinate. It is highly optimized for speed, undervolted to conserve on battery life, includes supercurio's voodoo colorfix and neldar's backlight notification mod. The backlight hack requires the use of neldar's BLN control app, which is available on the market.