• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Closed] Android 12 Update and Root ***Obsolete***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL

Attachments

• MagiskSettings.png
    MagiskSettings.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 28
  • MagiskHome.png
    MagiskHome.png
    281.2 KB · Views: 28

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211114-213900_Magisk.png
    Screenshot_20211114-213900_Magisk.png
    120 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Homeboy76

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
"Thanks for responding.

I'm on Android 12 with Magisk Canary 23001, the update is Magisk Canary 23014.

You are using Magisk Stable 23.0 it has no updates.
Very welcome,
Wish I was more helpful.

It says 23014 is installed..

From this post by @V0latyle is why I bring up 23001,
"I am able to get SafetyNet to pass on my P5 with Magisk 23001 and Universal Safetynet Fix 2.1.1"

But he will be of more help when he see's this, I'm sure. :)

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Very welcome,
Wish I was more helpful.

It says 23014 is installed..

From this post by @V0latyle is why I bring up 23001,
"I am able to get SafetyNet to pass on my P5 with Magisk 23001 and Universal Safetynet Fix 2.1.1"

But he will be of more help when he see's this, I'm sure. :)
Thanks, I saw his post. I hope you're right about him being more help. I know he's more knowledge than I on the subject. :)

I think where it has Magisk is the version of Magisk, and where it has App is the version of the Magisk App that is installed.

o_O What is weird is I never updated Canary to 23014, so is the app installed?

Last edited:

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Thanks, I saw his post. I hope you're right about him being more help. I know he's more knowledge than I on the subject. :)

I think where it has MAGISK is the version of Magisk, and where it has APP is the version of the Magisk App that is installed.

o_O What is weird is I never updated Canary to 23014, so how did the app installed?
Well Magisk Manager and Magisk combined into 1 app not long ago (I'm sure you know, but for those reading that don't..),
and I've never installed a canary version, but you're probably correct.

And you have it set to canary in your settings, so it may of auto updated? I know I've had it happen before to me, and caused me a bootloop, so not I revoke the magisk permissions for installing applications.

I'd personally just try to uninstall the Magisk App in settings > apps (not Magisk entirely, just the App), and install 23001.

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Well Magisk Manager and Magisk combined into 1 app not long ago (I'm sure you know, but for those reading that don't..),
and I've never installed a canary version, but you're probably correct.

And you have it set to canary in your settings, so it may of auto updated? I know I've had it happen before to me, and caused me a bootloop, so not I revoke the magisk permissions for installing applications.

I'd personally just try to uninstall the Magisk App in settings > apps (not Magisk entirely, just the App), and install 23001.
I don't think it auto updates. It just notifies when an update is available.

AFAIK, the only way to tell which version of Magisk App is installed has already been covered.

Magisk log:
...---Magisk Logs---
f822ca5b (23001)

01-18 19:30:46.743 802 802 I : Magisk f822ca5b(23001) daemon started...

Last edited:

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I don't think it auto updates. It just notifies when an update is available.

AFAIK, the only way to tell which version of Magisk App is installed has already been covered.
Your phone.. You asked the question..
I'm just trying to help, my friend.

To me it's rather obvious which version is installed.. as it says. But you can simply go into App Info, as I earlier suggested.
And since you mention it. Unless others are using your device, you updated to 23014.. unintentionally, I suppose, but you do have it set to canary, so.
To me the issue lays within the for testing purposes canary version, and again suggest to roll back to 23001. As it's been mentioned that it's working on that version. I suggest this because from my limited understanding, most the changes are to the app, at the moment (removing Magisk hide, removing modules repo, etc).
Also the answer probably already lies within the dedicated Magisk thread.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211114-232843963.jpg
    Screenshot_20211114-232843963.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Your phone..
You asked the question..
Just trying to help.
To the best of my knowledge.
Which is my understanding of what XDA is about.
To me it's rather obvious which version is installed.. as it says. But you can simply go into App Info, as I suggested.
And since you mention it. Unless others are using your device, you updated to 23014..
To me the issue lays within the for testing purposes canary version, and again suggest to roll back to 23001. As it's been mentioned that it's working on that version.

Good luck.
First, I do understand you are trying to help and I am truly appreciative of your help. My responses are feedback only.

Second the Magisk log shows I have Magisk Canary 23001 installed (see edited post above).

I missed the suggested App Info information. I'll check it and report back.

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
First, I do understand you are trying to help and I am truly appreciative of your help. My responses are feedback only.

Second the Magisk log shows I have Magisk Canary 23001 installed (see edited post above).

I missed the suggested App Info information. I'll check it and report back.
I misread sorry, I edited my post.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, just trying to help, and I'm sure this question and the answer will ultimately help another. :)

You do in-fact have MAGISK 23001 installed, the APP however is v23014, so v23.14?
And You can simply uninstall the APP, which doesn't remove Msgisk, and then install v23.1 (23001)

This is just my understanding of the situation/and my suggestion. :cool:

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
@andybones, you the man! :)
I checked App Info and you were right: version 7e9d4512 (Magisk 23014).

This is the first time my dumb a$$ ever checked it for Magisk. :( I just assumed, wrongly, that when I patched the boot image with Magisk Canary 23001 it would install the Magisk Canary 23001 App.

Thanks for being patient with me.

Will removing/uninstalling the Magisk App unroot my phone?

How can I install Magisk Canary Manager/app?

Last edited:
Reactions: andybones

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, just trying to help, and I'm sure this question and the answer will ultimately help another. :)

You do in-fact have MAGISK 23001 installed, the APP however is v23014, so v23.14?
And You can simply uninstall the APP, which doesn't remove Msgisk, and then install v23.1 (23001)

Yes. Can't use Magisk 23010+ with USNF and MagiskHide as are currently available; Magisk 23010 introduced Zygisk, thereby rendering Riru nonfunctional, and by extension all modules that depend on it.

@homeboy76 said:
@andybones, you the man! :)
I checked App Info and you were right: version 7e9d4512 (Magisk 23014).

This is the first time my dumb a$$ ever checked it for Magisk. :( I just assumed, wrongly, that the when I patched the boot image with Magisk Canary 23001 it would install the Magisk Canary 23001 App.

Thanks for being patient with me.

Will removing/uninstalling the Magisk App unroot my phone?

How can I install Magisk Canary Manager/app?

Root is in the boot image. The manager is separate. You can have a rooted device without a manager app, or a manager app with no root. Removing Magisk as we usually do does not remove root; to unroot, use "Complete Uninstall" within the app.

You have two options here:
1. Go back to Magisk 23001, install Riru and USNF 2.1.1, configure MagiskHide on the 2 apps I mentioned (Play Services, Play Store) as well as any others that might be security/DRM sensitive
2. Update the patch on your kernel to 23014, and support @kdrag0n via Patreon for beta access to USNF 2.2.0; no Riru required, and configure DenyList same as above.

I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality; since pre-Zygisk works fine on our devices, I don't see the need to update until USNF 2.2.0 is public. Be glad you don't have a Pixel 6...Magisk pre-23010 won't even patch the boot image.

If you wish to downgrade, I would suggest using Complete Removal, followed by a reboot. Then, install Magisk 23001, and start over with rooting.

Last edited:

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL

No problem, I've misread on several occasions.

You're good, you answered my questions before I asked them.

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Yes. Can't use Magisk 23010+ with USNF and MagiskHide as are currently available; Magisk 23010 introduced Zygisk, thereby rendering Riru nonfunctional, and by extension all modules that depend on it.

Root is in the boot image. The manager is separate. You can have a rooted device without a manager app, or a manager app with no root. Removing Magisk as we usually do does not remove root; to unroot, use "Complete Uninstall" within the app.

You have two options here:
1. Go back to Magisk 23001, install Riru and USNF 2.1.1, configure MagiskHide on the 2 apps I mentioned (Play Services, Play Store) as well as any others that might be security/DRM sensitive
2. Update the patch on your kernel to 23014, and support @kdrag0n via Patreon for beta access to USNF 2.2.0; no Riru required, and configure DenyList same as above.

I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality; since pre-Zygisk works fine on our devices, I don't see the need to update until USNF 2.2.0 is public. Be glad you don't have a Pixel 6...Magisk pre-23010 won't even patch the boot image.

If you wish to downgrade, I would suggest using Complete Removal, followed by a reboot. Then, install Magisk 23001, and start over with rooting.
Ok, now I'm confused. o_O According the the Magisk Log I have Magisk 23001. @andybones suggest I remove the Magisk Canary 23014 Manager/app in settings and install the Magisk Canary 23001 Manager/app.

I do not know how the Magisk Canary 23014 Manager/App got installed. I installed the Magisk Canary 23001 Manager/App, patched the boot.img and flashed it:fastboot flash boot magisk_patched...img

You are suggesting I do a complete uninstall, reboot, install Magisk Canary, and reboot.

Does that mean andybones suggestion will not work?

AFAIK, your method requires a wipe. Correct?

Last edited:

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Ok, now I'm confused. o_O According the the Magisk Log I have Magisk 23001. @andybones suggest I remove the Magisk Canary 23014 Manager/app in settings and install the Magisk Canary 23001 Manager/app.
Your kernel is patched with Magisk 23001. But, you have the 23014 app installed.
I do not know how the Magisk Manager/App got installed. I installed the Magisk Canary app, patched the boot.img and flashed it:fastboot flash boot magisk_patched...img
The app is the Canary app is the Manager app. As I explained previously, the boot image patch and the app are separate. For the sake of simplicity, let's refer to the boot image patch as "Magisk root" and the app as "Magisk app. When you installed the Canary app, that IS Magisk Manager. Way back when, we used to have to flash a separate zip in recovery to patch the boot image.
You are suggesting I do a complete uninstall, reboot, install Magisk Canary, and reboot.

Does that mean andybones suggestion will not work?
No....you can certainly try uninstalling the 23014 app and installing 23001. However, the last time I tried to downgrade, I lost root when I installed the older version of Magsik - and Magisk has to have root privileges in order to clean everything up for a complete removal. I'm just suggesting this to be safe. Uninstalling Magisk through Android app manager doesn't clean everything up so there can sometimes be issues when you install a different version of Magisk, to where it won't see the kernel root.
AFAIK, your method requires a wipe. Correct?
Incorrect. I didn't say anything about a wipe. Just use Complete Uninstall within the app, then downgrade. You'll be fine. In case my instructions weren't clear:
  1. Open Magisk. Tap "Uninstall", then "Restore Images". Once complete, tap "Complete Uninstall". Your device will reboot without root or the Magisk app.
  2. Install Magisk 23001. Re patch the boot image the same way you did on initial root. Copy boot image back to PC and reboot to bootloader.
  3. Flash patched boot image, and reboot device. Magisk app should show root.
Point of note: If you DON'T use Complete Uninstall, and you lose root when you reinstall Magisk, you will have to wipe data to get root back.

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012
Google Pixel XL
Your kernel is patched with Magisk 23001. But, you have the 23014 app installed.

The app is the Canary app is the Manager app. As I explained previously, the boot image patch and the app are separate. For the sake of simplicity, let's refer to the boot image patch as "Magisk root" and the app as "Magisk app. When you installed the Canary app, that IS Magisk Manager. Way back when, we used to have to flash a separate zip in recovery to patch the boot image.

No....you can certainly try uninstalling the 23014 app and installing 23001. However, the last time I tried to downgrade, I lost root when I installed the older version of Magsik - and Magisk has to have root privileges in order to clean everything up for a complete removal. I'm just suggesting this to be safe. Uninstalling Magisk through Android app manager doesn't clean everything up so there can sometimes be issues when you install a different version of Magisk, to where it won't see the kernel root.

Incorrect. I didn't say anything about a wipe. Just use Complete Uninstall within the app, then downgrade. You'll be fine. In case my instructions weren't clear:
  1. Open Magisk. Tap "Uninstall", then "Restore Images". Once complete, tap "Complete Uninstall". Your device will reboot without root or the Magisk app.
  2. Install Magisk 23001. Re patch the boot image the same way you did on initial root. Copy boot image back to PC and reboot to bootloader.
  3. Flash patched boot image, and reboot device. Magisk app should show root.
Point of note: If you DON'T use Complete Uninstall, and you lose root when you reinstall Magisk, you will have to wipe data to get root ba

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Please don't uninstall. Did you read my post, Sir?
I even mention to NOT.

You uninstall the Magisk app like any other App in App info..
Then, just install 23001 like normal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211115-014413700 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-014413700 (1).jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 12-16: I am closing this thread as it is no longer relevant. Please refer to this guide.
    Magisk Canary was updated to 23016 last night. This includes a fix for the vbmeta header issue, meaning that disabling verity/verification should no longer be required, and we should be able to root as we did before. This needs testing, make sure you back up your data and photos before you try this!

Q: "If verity/verification are disabled, do I need to enable them now?"
    A: No. The only thing you have to do is update to Magisk 23016.
    Q: "Will enabling verity/verification wipe my data?"
    A: No.

I will be updating the OP to reflect this.
    Who is calling you stupid?!?! It's an American expression: for example, your costume is ruined by rain, so, you say: it's the weather stupid.

Anyway, I am trying to help, so, there is no reason to seek insults where there isn't one.
    It's just the way you worded it is all. I am born in America, and actually thought the same thing when I read it.
    It's confusing to me though..

I would say, not "it's the weather, stupid"
    but rather
    "it's the stupid weather"

so reading "It's the bootloader stupid"
    I feel should be,
    "it the stupid bootloader"

but thank you for clearing up that you aren't passing insults.
    And it's hard to tell through text whose being argumentative, and whose being helpful.
    Glad you're the latter.
    Or he/you could add this to it when flashing factory image via ADB only. Why? Because it works on the pixel 4a 5(G) and may work on the Pixel 5. It would not confuse anyone, just provide another less complicated option for upgrading/updating those phones. Seems pretty black and white to me.
    Agreed.

The confusion arises from this:
    PS :
    Pixel 4a 5(G) phone owners need to know for the initial upgrade (Android 11 to Android 12), they do not need the fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification --slot-all vbmeta vbmeta.img step in this case
    This implies that verity and verification need not be disabled when upgrading from Android 11...which if you want permanent root, is not true. This can be omitted if one flashes the factory image, as they can incorporate the flags into the command:
    Code:
    fastboot update -w --disable-verity --disable-verification image-device-buildnumber.zip
    However, if the update is performed via the OTA, then vbmeta must be specifically disabled.

If you understand what he is saying, why not add the Pixel 4a 5(G) note to the Reminders?
    This is true across ALL affected devices - Pixels on the SD765G and Tensor. It is not specific to one device.

Still, I will update the notes for the sake of clarity.
    Who is calling you stupid?!?! It's an American expression: for example, your costume is ruined by rain, so, you say: it's the weather stupid.

Anyway, I am trying to help, so, there is no reason to seek insults where there isn't one.
    I didn't seek one, I guess I misunderstood. I have never heard of that expression before, at least not in that context. I'm American too, and I've generally heard it like this:

"Hey, what's making that howling noise?"
    "It's the wind, stupid!"

I digress.

I'll have to pick this up later; it's late, my wife is demanding....attention, and I want to enjoy the weekend.