[Closed] Android 12 Update and Root ***Obsolete***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Shoot sorry man, was late last night for me, didn't catch that you suggested that before I had posted.
If someone has patched their kernel with 23014, then rolls back to 23001, they'll lose root and won't be able to get it back without a wipe. Reflashing the original boot image doesn't fix it. It has something to do with signature keys used by Magisk; if you lose root, you have no way of cleaning up so you can start over. That's not the case here, obviously, but I'm just sharing what I've learned the hard way.

Reactions: andybones

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
If someone has patched their kernel with 23014, then rolls back to 23001, they'll lose root and won't be able to get it back without a wipe. Reflashing the original boot image doesn't fix it. It has something to do with signature keys used by Magisk; if you lose root, you have no way of cleaning up so you can start over. That's not the case here, obviously, but I'm just sharing what I've learned the hard way.
Definitely appreciate you sharing this man, would hate to send someone off with the wrong info, and stuck needing to wipe, as I know how rough it is. Thanks again man

Rumsfield

Apr 3, 2015
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Agreed

Best way to update to the latest firmware is to use the factory image, so as to avoid reflashing anything

1. Compare bootloader version. If different, flash new bootloader image.
2. Compare radio version. If different, flash new radio image.
3. Flash system image:
Code:
fastboot update image-redfin-buildnumber.zip --disable-verity --disable-verification
4. Allow update to complete, device will reboot into system.
5. Patch and flash boot image.

I recommend allowing the system a clean boot on the stock boot image before you flash a patched boot image.
Worked perfectly, no more having to wipe hopefully for the next year.

hssxda

Jul 13, 2015
I just rooted my Pixel 5 Android 12 and am failing safetynet. Is there a guide / tutorial on here for fixing this?

I found this guide here is it accurate?
I followed that tutorial and installed universal safety net 2.1.2 with riru and now I pass safetynet in magisk but Google pay still doesn't work? Can I hide root from Google pay somehow?

Edit: Got it working by going to "Hide the Magisk App" in the settings menu and renaming the app

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I followed that tutorial and installed universal safety net 2.1.2 with riru and now I pass safetynet in magisk but Google pay still doesn't work? Can I hide root from Google pay somehow?

Edit: Got it working by going to "Hide the Magisk App" in the settings menu and renaming the app
This is what I did to get Google Pay workingwith Magisk 23001 and USNF 2.1.1:
- Installed Riru and USNF 2.1.1.
- Enabled MagiskHide on all components of Google Play Services, Play Store, and GPay
Rebooted, everything works great.

When USNF 2.2.0 was released to public, I upgraded to Magisk 23014, enabled Zygisk, enabled DenyLIst on the same apps (all subcomponents), and installed Universal SafetyNet 2.2.0.

vaibhav palande

Jan 27, 2012
Pune
Agreed

Best way to update to the latest firmware is to use the factory image, so as to avoid reflashing anything

1. Compare bootloader version. If different, flash new bootloader image.
2. Compare radio version. If different, flash new radio image.
3. Flash system image:
Code:
fastboot update image-redfin-buildnumber.zip --disable-verity --disable-verification
4. Allow update to complete, device will reboot into system.
5. Patch and flash boot image.

I recommend allowing the system a clean boot on the stock boot image before you flash a patched boot image.
Hi,

I have a rooted (using this guide) Pixel 5 on Android 12 with,
Unlocked bootloader​
SP1A.211105.002.A1​
Magisk canary 23015 and USF 2.2.0​

I am looking to follow steps in the post above to install December security update SQ1A.211205.008 without having to wipe.

I have some questions:
  1. Bootloader and radio image zip files are NOT the downloaded factory zip. These are inside the downloaded factory zip. Correct?
  2. To check if I need bootloader and radio update, can I just compare the names of the files for bootloader and radio in the two factory zip files (current vs new) ?
    If yes, I think I need to update both.
    Current (SQ1A.211205.008)New (SP1A.211105.002.A1)
    bootloader-redfin-r3-0.4-7758093
    radio-redfin-g7250-00161-211008-b-7807492
    bootloader-redfin-r3-0.4-7617468
    radio-redfin-g7250-00147-210830-b-7686829
  3. I have a unlocked bootloader. If I update bootloader using following, will I have to unlock the bootloader again? What will it do to my root?
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader [bootloader image]
  4. First post in this thread says,
If necessary, update the bootloader: WARNING: IF DONE INCORRECTLY THIS WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!
What precaution do I have to take to avoid bricking my device?
Thanks in advance

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I have a rooted (using this guide) Pixel 5 on Android 12 with,
Unlocked bootloader​
SP1A.211105.002.A1​
Magisk canary 23015 and USF 2.2.0​

I am looking to follow steps in the post above to install December security update SQ1A.211205.008 without having to wipe.

I have some questions:
  1. Bootloader and radio image zip files are NOT the downloaded factory zip. These are inside the downloaded factory zip. Correct?
Correct - inside the factory zip you will see radio-number.img (the radio/modem image) and bootloader-number.img (the bootloader image).
  1. To check if I need bootloader and radio update, can I just compare the names of the files for bootloader and radio in the two factory zip files (current vs new) ?
Yes.

1. If yes, I think I need to update both.
    Current (SQ1A.211205.008)New (SP1A.211105.002.A1)
    bootloader-redfin-r3-0.4-7758093
    radio-redfin-g7250-00161-211008-b-7807492
    bootloader-redfin-r3-0.4-7617468
    radio-redfin-g7250-00147-210830-b-7686829
You're on the right track.
  1. I have a unlocked bootloader. If I update bootloader using following, will I have to unlock the bootloader again? What will it do to my root?
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader [bootloader image]
Updating or downgrading the bootloader does not affect bootloader lock.
  1. First post in this thread says,

What precaution do I have to take to avoid bricking my device?
Make sure that you only flash the bootloader with the bootloader image - do not accidentally use any other image.

The safest and most foolproof way to update is via the Android Flash Tool - it automatically updates your bootloader and radio if necessary. However, you will still need to download the factory zip and manually patch the boot image.

f8lxninja

Jan 18, 2020
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 5
I tried following the guide, but when I flash the patched magisk boot image it gets stuck at the G logo with the loading bar and refuses to continue. If I reflash the stock boot image it works just fine. Is it because I didn't uninstall magisk before performing the OTA update manually?

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I tried following the guide, but when I flash the patched magisk boot image it gets stuck at the G logo with the loading bar and refuses to continue. If I reflash the stock boot image it works just fine. Is it because I didn't uninstall magisk before performing the OTA update manually?
I updated without removing Magisk or any modules. I'm running Magisk Canary 23015, with MagiskHide Props Config v6.1.2, Systemless Hosts v1.0, and Universal SafetyNet Fix v2.2.0.

Here is exactly how I updated:

1. Download factory zip
  2. Extract boot.img from update image, copy boot.img to phone
  3. Patch boot.img in Magisk
  4. Copy patched boot image back to PC
  5. Reboot to bootloader
  6. Update bootloader:
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader.img>
  7. Update radio:
    Code:
    fastboot flash radio --slot=all <radio.img>
  8. Reboot to bootloader:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot bootloader
  9. Apply update:
    Code:
    fastboot update --disable-verification --disable-verity  --skip-reboot <image-redfin-buildnumber.zip>
  10. When update completes, reboot to bootloader:
    Code:
  11. Boot patched boot image:
    Code:
    fastboot boot <patched boot.img>
  12. Allow system to boot, open Magisk and use Direct Install to patch the boot image
  13. Reboot, all is well.

Reactions: Nando14sunny

f8lxninja

Jan 18, 2020
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 5
I updated without removing Magisk or any modules. I'm running Magisk Canary 23015, with MagiskHide Props Config v6.1.2, Systemless Hosts v1.0, and Universal SafetyNet Fix v2.2.0.

Here is exactly how I updated:

1. Download factory zip
  2. Extract boot.img from update image, copy boot.img to phone
  3. Patch boot.img in Magisk
  4. Copy patched boot image back to PC
  5. Reboot to bootloader
  6. Update bootloader:
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader.img>
  7. Update radio:
    Code:
    fastboot flash radio --slot=all <radio.img>
  8. Reboot to bootloader:
    Code:
  9. Apply update:
    Code:
    fastboot update --disable-verification --disable-verity  --skip-reboot <image-redfin-buildnumber.zip>
  10. When update completes, reboot to bootloader:
    Code:
  11. Boot patched boot image:
    Code:
    fastboot boot <patched boot.img>
  12. Allow system to boot, open Magisk and use Direct Install to patch the boot image
  13. Reboot, all is well.
Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. It is still getting stuck at the G logo with the loading bar and does not progress any further. I can use ADB on it if that is of any use.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. It is still getting stuck at the G logo with the loading bar and does not progress any further. I can use ADB on it if that is of any use.
Do you still have the stock boot image flashed? Try re-patching the boot image from the update zip. Make sure it's the right one.

You can also try booting the image instead of flashing it. If it boots successfully, just use Direct Install in Magisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 12-16: I am closing this thread as it is no longer relevant. Please refer to this guide.
    Magisk Canary was updated to 23016 last night. This includes a fix for the vbmeta header issue, meaning that disabling verity/verification should no longer be required, and we should be able to root as we did before. This needs testing, make sure you back up your data and photos before you try this!

Q: "If verity/verification are disabled, do I need to enable them now?"
    A: No. The only thing you have to do is update to Magisk 23016.
    Q: "Will enabling verity/verification wipe my data?"
    A: No.

I will be updating the OP to reflect this.
    Who is calling you stupid?!?! It's an American expression: for example, your costume is ruined by rain, so, you say: it's the weather stupid.

Anyway, I am trying to help, so, there is no reason to seek insults where there isn't one.
    It's just the way you worded it is all. I am born in America, and actually thought the same thing when I read it.
    It's confusing to me though..

I would say, not "it's the weather, stupid"
    but rather
    "it's the stupid weather"

so reading "It's the bootloader stupid"
    I feel should be,
    "it the stupid bootloader"

but thank you for clearing up that you aren't passing insults.
    And it's hard to tell through text whose being argumentative, and whose being helpful.
    Glad you're the latter.
    Or he/you could add this to it when flashing factory image via ADB only. Why? Because it works on the pixel 4a 5(G) and may work on the Pixel 5. It would not confuse anyone, just provide another less complicated option for upgrading/updating those phones. Seems pretty black and white to me.
    Agreed.

The confusion arises from this:
    PS :
    Pixel 4a 5(G) phone owners need to know for the initial upgrade (Android 11 to Android 12), they do not need the fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification --slot-all vbmeta vbmeta.img step in this case
    This implies that verity and verification need not be disabled when upgrading from Android 11...which if you want permanent root, is not true. This can be omitted if one flashes the factory image, as they can incorporate the flags into the command:
    Code:
    fastboot update -w --disable-verity --disable-verification image-device-buildnumber.zip
    However, if the update is performed via the OTA, then vbmeta must be specifically disabled.

If you understand what he is saying, why not add the Pixel 4a 5(G) note to the Reminders?
    This is true across ALL affected devices - Pixels on the SD765G and Tensor. It is not specific to one device.

Still, I will update the notes for the sake of clarity.
    Who is calling you stupid?!?! It's an American expression: for example, your costume is ruined by rain, so, you say: it's the weather stupid.

Anyway, I am trying to help, so, there is no reason to seek insults where there isn't one.
    I didn't seek one, I guess I misunderstood. I have never heard of that expression before, at least not in that context. I'm American too, and I've generally heard it like this:

"Hey, what's making that howling noise?"
    "It's the wind, stupid!"

I digress.

I'll have to pick this up later; it's late, my wife is demanding....attention, and I want to enjoy the weekend.