[Closed] Android 12 Update and Root ***Obsolete***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Latest canary, I do have the one from November but it is for version 23000.
Hmm. What Magisk modules do you have installed? I don't think this would be the problem, but just for the sake of curiosity...

I assume you updated Magisk before you updated Android? Did you update the boot patch too?

See if you can boot the patched November image, check Magisk to see if you still have root.

f8lxninja

Jan 18, 2020
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 5
Hmm. What Magisk modules do you have installed? I don't think this would be the problem, but just for the sake of curiosity...

I assume you updated Magisk before you updated Android? Did you update the boot patch too?

See if you can boot the patched November image, check Magisk to see if you still have root.
The one I do remember was the Addon Features for Pixel module, but I tried uninstalling them while I was at the G logo using the magisk remove-modules command. All it did was reboot and end up at the same spot. When I update I re-patch the boot img so it usually is fine, but in this case it is not.

Edit: Booting from November caused a bootloop, told me my data was corrupt (but it is in fact not).

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
The one I do remember was the Addon Features for Pixel module, but I tried uninstalling them while I was at the G logo using the magisk remove-modules command. All it did was reboot and end up at the same spot. When I update I re-patch the boot img so it usually is fine, but in this case it is not.
So to make sure I understand correctly, you can boot OK with the unpatched boot image, but the patched image doesn't complete boot? How long have you waited on the G logo to see if it's successful? Give it 5-10 minutes and see what happens.

The only other thing I can think of is removing Magisk and starting over, but doing so requires root (do NOT try to remove Magisk simply by uninstalling the app).

f8lxninja

Jan 18, 2020
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 5
So to make sure I understand correctly, you can boot OK with the unpatched boot image, but the patched image doesn't complete boot? How long have you waited on the G logo to see if it's successful? Give it 5-10 minutes and see what happens.

The only other thing I can think of is removing Magisk and starting over, but doing so requires root (do NOT try to remove Magisk simply by uninstalling the app).
Yep, stock boot image works just fine but if I try to boot from the magisk one it gets suck at the G logo. I've waited probably 2-3 minutes for it to think about it but I guess I can try for longer.

Edit: I tried again but waited for much longer (its been about 7 minutes) and it is stuck at the logo still.

Last edited:

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Yep, stock boot image works just fine but if I try to boot from the magisk one it gets suck at the G logo. I've waited probably 2-3 minutes for it to think about it but I guess I can try for longer.

Edit: I tried again but waited for much longer (its been about 7 minutes) and it is stuck at the logo still.
What happens when you try to boot the patched November image?

BTW, when I say "boot" I mean using fastboot boot <patched boot image>, not fastboot flash

The first temporarily boots the image via ADB, the second actually flashes it to the boot partition

f8lxninja

Jan 18, 2020
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 5
What happens when you try to boot the patched November image?

BTW, when I say "boot" I mean using fastboot boot <patched boot image>, not fastboot flash

The first temporarily boots the image via ADB, the second actually flashes it to the boot partition
Right, I understood what you meant.

It boot loops, doesn't get past the word Google before it gives me a menu saying that my phone data is corrupt. It could be that my patched img is from an earlier attempt that failed when on the November update.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Right, I understood what you meant.

It boot loops, doesn't get past the word Google before it gives me a menu saying that my phone data is corrupt. It could be that my patched img is from an earlier attempt that failed when on the November update.
Well...the only thing I can think of is try to dirty flash the November update again and use the November patched image.

Failing that, I think you're going to have to wipe /data and start over.

f8lxninja

Jan 18, 2020
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 5
Well...the only thing I can think of is try to dirty flash the November update again and use the November patched image.

Failing that, I think you're going to have to wipe /data and start over.
I was hoping there would still be a way, but oh well. I might wipe it but today is not that day.

Edit: November update doesn't work either it seems. I don't know what I did wrong but I guess I have to start over if I want root.

Last edited:
Reactions: V0latyle

Darkeligos

Jul 22, 2010
I just picked up the Pixel 6 with Android 12 installed. Do I just need to follow the Patch Boot Image steps? Or are there other steps I should take from a previous Android 11 root thread? Thanks

Reactions: Singha0016_

Regys

Sep 10, 2012
From the original post in this thread:

The OTA does not have a way to set the disable flags for vbmeta, so if you update via OTA, you will have to reflash vbmeta with the disable flags every time you update.
Just check only in Android Flash Tool, "Disable Verity" and "Disable Verification"

No need to uninstall Magisk or make a wipe ?

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Just check only in Android Flash Tool, "Disable Verity" and "Disable Verification"

No need to uninstall Magisk or make a wipe ?
No. Simply dirty flash the update, making sure you disable verity and verification; once the update is complete, patch and flash the new boot image.
I haven't used the flash tool so I'm not sure, since I sideload the OTA.
If you're rooted, I don't recommend using OTA sideload, simply because of the additional steps and files you'd need to download. The best way is to download and dirty flash the factory image.

Reactions: Regys and elong7681

kfhughes

Jun 8, 2011
Stockton, CA
Google Pixel 5
No. Simply dirty flash the update, making sure you disable verity and verification; once the update is complete, patch and flash the new boot image.

If you're rooted, I don't recommend using OTA sideload, simply because of the additional steps and files you'd need to download. The best way is to download and dirty flash the factory image.
It's been a while since I use the factory image method. After "fastboot update image-xxxxx.zip", does the phone automatically reboot or does it stay in fastboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 12-16: I am closing this thread as it is no longer relevant. Please refer to this guide.
    Magisk Canary was updated to 23016 last night. This includes a fix for the vbmeta header issue, meaning that disabling verity/verification should no longer be required, and we should be able to root as we did before. This needs testing, make sure you back up your data and photos before you try this!

Q: "If verity/verification are disabled, do I need to enable them now?"
    A: No. The only thing you have to do is update to Magisk 23016.
    Q: "Will enabling verity/verification wipe my data?"
    A: No.

I will be updating the OP to reflect this.
    Who is calling you stupid?!?! It's an American expression: for example, your costume is ruined by rain, so, you say: it's the weather stupid.

Anyway, I am trying to help, so, there is no reason to seek insults where there isn't one.
    It's just the way you worded it is all. I am born in America, and actually thought the same thing when I read it.
    It's confusing to me though..

I would say, not "it's the weather, stupid"
    but rather
    "it's the stupid weather"

so reading "It's the bootloader stupid"
    I feel should be,
    "it the stupid bootloader"

but thank you for clearing up that you aren't passing insults.
    And it's hard to tell through text whose being argumentative, and whose being helpful.
    Glad you're the latter.
    Or he/you could add this to it when flashing factory image via ADB only. Why? Because it works on the pixel 4a 5(G) and may work on the Pixel 5. It would not confuse anyone, just provide another less complicated option for upgrading/updating those phones. Seems pretty black and white to me.
    Agreed.

The confusion arises from this:
    PS :
    Pixel 4a 5(G) phone owners need to know for the initial upgrade (Android 11 to Android 12), they do not need the fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification --slot-all vbmeta vbmeta.img step in this case
    This implies that verity and verification need not be disabled when upgrading from Android 11...which if you want permanent root, is not true. This can be omitted if one flashes the factory image, as they can incorporate the flags into the command:
    Code:
    fastboot update -w --disable-verity --disable-verification image-device-buildnumber.zip
    However, if the update is performed via the OTA, then vbmeta must be specifically disabled.

If you understand what he is saying, why not add the Pixel 4a 5(G) note to the Reminders?
    This is true across ALL affected devices - Pixels on the SD765G and Tensor. It is not specific to one device.

Still, I will update the notes for the sake of clarity.
    Who is calling you stupid?!?! It's an American expression: for example, your costume is ruined by rain, so, you say: it's the weather stupid.

Anyway, I am trying to help, so, there is no reason to seek insults where there isn't one.
    I didn't seek one, I guess I misunderstood. I have never heard of that expression before, at least not in that context. I'm American too, and I've generally heard it like this:

"Hey, what's making that howling noise?"
    "It's the wind, stupid!"

I digress.

I'll have to pick this up later; it's late, my wife is demanding....attention, and I want to enjoy the weekend.