• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Closed] Android 12 Update and Root ***Obsolete***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Rumsfield

Apr 3, 2015
That's a good question? I took the update because I had lost root and was trying to get it back. I can't even fastboot boot magiskpatched.img anymore.
Well noone as far as I know was able to flash a magisk boot image to a pixel 5 that had A11 and upgraded to A12 without doing a wipe. This excludes Pixel 3's and older obviously. I have two pixel 3's and they dirty-flashed fine and kept root with the original magisk method. If you have a Pixel 4 or newer the only way right now to re-gain permanent root is to do a complete wipe and a fresh install of the A12 image for your device with the fastboot commands stated in the first post of this thread. Back up your phone's pictures and data with Google1 or whatever backup service you use, then re-flash the stock image with a wipe as stated in the first post. Then restore data,etc. Its a pain but I do not know of another way right now as there is conflicting info from a bunch of people on here.

1. Backup your phone.
2. Download the factory image to your computer and connect your device via USB, with USB debugging enabled.
3. Extract the contents of the factory ZIP
4. Reboot to bootloader:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification -w update [factory image zip] (not the entire downloaded zip file, the inside zip file with images) If you try to flash the entire zip it will give an error, so don't try that.
DATA WIPE IS REQUIRED when updating from an older version of Android.
5. Let the update complete
6. Setup the phone from scratch and whatnot and install Magisk again
7. Continue to Patch Boot Image as usual. Root will work now.
8. Restore data.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorga and killchain

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Well noone as far as I know was able to flash a magisk boot image to a pixel 5 that had A11 and upgraded to A12 without doing a wipe.
@HumorBaby apparently figured out that sideloading the OTA, then going straight into fastboot (not bootloader) without a reboot to flash /vbmeta and /boot seems to work.

Reactions: ipdev and Rumsfield

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Both upgrade paths are welcome here, I just ask that we all be very clear on what state we started in and the process used, so as to avoid any confusion to other members who may want to follow the same paths.

@HumorBaby I'm going to link your guide in the OP of this thread for those who are upgrading from the beta.

I'm honestly curious if it would work coming from Android 11. Like you, I had wiped /data when upgrading from 11 to 12 Beta 5, but I don't see why the same process wouldn't work for Android 11...although I think it would be advisable for someone to update their bootloader and radio first.

I'm hoping we can narrow down on exactly what is causing this data corruption issue, although I suspect it's going to take someone with better knowledge of Android in general and some good hex editing skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: ipdev and HumorBaby

HumorBaby

Oct 22, 2021
Google Pixel 5

I'm honestly curious if it would work coming from Android 11. Like you, I had wiped /data when upgrading from 11 to 12 Beta 5, but I don't see why the same process wouldn't work for Android 11...although I think it would be advisable for someone to update their bootloader and radio first.

I'll bite the bullet and do some [painful] tests… Here goes nothing…

My plan is to:

First, drop back to clean stock 11 with factory image for 11 (redfin-rq3a.211001.001). This should leave me with 11's bootloader too, and effectively drop me into a state which most people who are trying to avoid wipes are in.

Then, flash Magisk (23001 for now, since I assume if this one works, then 23010 will also) patched boot.img only (not vbmeta, since you didn't need to flash it before a patched boot in 11). Confirm that I have root.

Then, I will
(1) sideload stable 12 OTA, and drop to fastboot WITHOUT A REBOOT!
(2) flash Magisk patched boot.img (without vbmeta, and thus without --disable-verity and --disable-verification)
(3) see what happens…

I will share my findings soon.

Reactions: ipdev and V0latyle

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I really need to read and quote in one post instead of posting individual responses...

It's Monday, I haven't had enough coffee, and I stayed up too late playing AC Odyssey. At least I got Poseidon's Trident.

Hmm what was the update for 🤔
I originally updated to 12 stable from 12 beta 5 this way. I got an update notification too, and I believe it was a similar size. 1.88GB seems like a lot but it's pretty heavily compressed - the factory zip is 2.17GB, 6.73GB extracted.

mistermojorizin

Dec 21, 2011
Google Pixel 5
So just to clarify, so far we can go

1) A11->12 beta --> **WIPE** to get root -->12 stable OR
2) A11->12 stable --> **WIPE** to get root OR
3) A11-->12 beta-->12 stable --> **WIPE** to get root

No one's figured out a way to get permanent root without a wipe at some point in the upgrade path?

rbouza1

May 16, 2013
midland
Google Pixel 6

No one's figured out a way to get permanent root without a wipe at some point in the upgrade path?
I took ota and just boot maigisk patch boot and don't restart for root until I wanna wipe

Reactions: Jiggs82

rester555

Oct 27, 2010

To add, A12 magisk 23001 to 23010 no wipe required.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member

Humorbaby was able to upgrade from 12 Beta to 12 Stable without a wipe, but he had wiped when upgrading from A11 to 12 Beta.

If you have not yet upgraded and are willing to give it a try, with the understanding that you may have to wipe data and start over anyway, you can try to use his method to upgrade. Just make sure you update bootloader and radio before you sideload the OTA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 12-16: I am closing this thread as it is no longer relevant. Please refer to this guide.
    Magisk Canary was updated to 23016 last night. This includes a fix for the vbmeta header issue, meaning that disabling verity/verification should no longer be required, and we should be able to root as we did before. This needs testing, make sure you back up your data and photos before you try this!

Q: "If verity/verification are disabled, do I need to enable them now?"
    A: No. The only thing you have to do is update to Magisk 23016.
    Q: "Will enabling verity/verification wipe my data?"
    A: No.

I will be updating the OP to reflect this.
    Who is calling you stupid?!?! It's an American expression: for example, your costume is ruined by rain, so, you say: it's the weather stupid.

Anyway, I am trying to help, so, there is no reason to seek insults where there isn't one.
    It's just the way you worded it is all. I am born in America, and actually thought the same thing when I read it.
    It's confusing to me though..

I would say, not "it's the weather, stupid"
    but rather
    "it's the stupid weather"

so reading "It's the bootloader stupid"
    I feel should be,
    "it the stupid bootloader"

but thank you for clearing up that you aren't passing insults.
    And it's hard to tell through text whose being argumentative, and whose being helpful.
    Glad you're the latter.
    Or he/you could add this to it when flashing factory image via ADB only. Why? Because it works on the pixel 4a 5(G) and may work on the Pixel 5. It would not confuse anyone, just provide another less complicated option for upgrading/updating those phones. Seems pretty black and white to me.
    Agreed.

The confusion arises from this:
    PS :
    Pixel 4a 5(G) phone owners need to know for the initial upgrade (Android 11 to Android 12), they do not need the fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification --slot-all vbmeta vbmeta.img step in this case
    This implies that verity and verification need not be disabled when upgrading from Android 11...which if you want permanent root, is not true. This can be omitted if one flashes the factory image, as they can incorporate the flags into the command:
    Code:
    fastboot update -w --disable-verity --disable-verification image-device-buildnumber.zip
    However, if the update is performed via the OTA, then vbmeta must be specifically disabled.

If you understand what he is saying, why not add the Pixel 4a 5(G) note to the Reminders?
    This is true across ALL affected devices - Pixels on the SD765G and Tensor. It is not specific to one device.

Still, I will update the notes for the sake of clarity.
    Who is calling you stupid?!?! It's an American expression: for example, your costume is ruined by rain, so, you say: it's the weather stupid.

Anyway, I am trying to help, so, there is no reason to seek insults where there isn't one.
    I didn't seek one, I guess I misunderstood. I have never heard of that expression before, at least not in that context. I'm American too, and I've generally heard it like this:

"Hey, what's making that howling noise?"
    "It's the wind, stupid!"

I digress.

I'll have to pick this up later; it's late, my wife is demanding....attention, and I want to enjoy the weekend.