[CLOSED] Android 12 Upgrade Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
No, I tried a direct install from within Magisk Manager (having live booted the previously patched image).
Try this:
Patch the image file using 23010
Reflash vbmeta, disable verity and verification
Flash the patched file, see if it boots

If it doesn't, you should be able to just reflash vbmeta and stock boot image to recover.

pgcranie

Oct 26, 2021
So Magisk Canary was released yesterday:

Magisk 23010

Someone who is temp rooting want to patch their boot image with this and see what happens?

Also, Magisk Hide is no longer, so here's what you have to do to pass Safetynet (the check is no longer in Magisk so you'll have to use an external app)

In Magisk:
Remove Universal Safetynet Fix and Riru, if you have them installed, Reboot.
Launch Magisk again
Settings > Magisk:
Enable Zygisk
Enable Enforce Denylist
Enable for Google Play Services components: (I just enabled for all subcomponents)
com.google.android.gms
com.google.android.gms.unstable

That should be enough to pass Safetynet. Don't forget to hide other apps such as banking, GPay, DRM (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc)
So I thought i followed these steps but my safetynet check failed still.

I used this app to test it.

Im not sure if it will matter, all my apps seem to function fine but any help with fixing this would be appreciated.
I attached a pic of the test results

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-135550[1].png
    Screenshot_20211026-135550[1].png
    185.5 KB · Views: 18

thiago_oliv

Apr 14, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Is this thread only about rooting? My phone is refusing wireless charging after Android 12. It begins charging than it drops, like a failsafe or a problem. Is it the same with you guys? Tried in 3 different chargers (none is Google recommended, but of good brands)

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
So I thought i followed these steps but my safetynet check failed still.

I used this app to test it.

Im not sure if it will matter, all my apps seem to function fine but any help with fixing this would be appreciated.
I attached a pic of the test results
Universal Safetynet Fix helps fix that; unfortunately it has not yet been updated for Magisk 23010, and also depends on Riru, which is not compatible with the new version. If you want to use the newest version of Magisk, you'll have to use the older version of USNF (1.2.0) that doesn't use Riru, then you'll have to use MagiskHIde Props Config to fix CTS.

I didn't want to go through all that, so I just downgraded back to 23001 and used MagiskHide + Riru + Universal Safetynet Fix, and I'm passing Safetynet including CTS.
Is this thread only about rooting? My phone is refusing wireless charging after Android 12. It begins charging than it drops, like a failsafe or a problem. Is it the same with you guys? Tried in 3 different chargers (none is Google recommended, but of good brands)
This thread is intended for discussion of how users upgraded to Android 12, as we are currently looking for a solution that does not require a data wipe.

If you have a question or are looking for support, please feel free to post your question in the Questions and Answers subforum; don't hijack other threads for support with an unrelated problem.

Reactions: thiago_oliv

dlb134

Oct 19, 2014
Gdamn, I really want to run lawnchair but rooting android is such a pain in the butt these days.

Also, I kinda like my gpay - wish I had sideloaded the OTA rather than clean flashed :/

Hopefully you guys can figure something out, watching this thread anxiously

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Gdamn, I really want to run lawnchair but rooting android is such a pain in the butt these days.

Also, I kinda like my gpay - wish I had sideloaded the OTA rather than clean flashed :/

Well, wiping /data isn't the end of the world, considering how much of our data is backed up in the cloud. You'll lose anything you downloaded, but your apps and texts should all be synced with Google Drive. The biggest PITA is just having to set everything back up again.

I hope we are able to figure out the problem too. We are running out of ideas, and I think what we really need is someone much more experienced to take a look at what changed so we can figure out a workaround, or at least figure out if we are doing something wrong.

warrencoakley

May 1, 2014
Dublin
With the announcement of Magiskhide been removed it's looking bleak. Had mine up and running perfectly until the latest Canary update triggered all the apps I was hiding including safetynet. I'll wait until the November update but if it's a pain like it was this time I reckon it's time to lock the bootloader

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
With the announcement of Magiskhide been removed it's looking bleak. Had mine up and running perfectly until the latest Canary update triggered all the apps I was hiding including safetynet. I'll wait until the November update but if it's a pain like it was this time I reckon it's time to lock the bootloader
No, just downgrade back to Magisk 23001 and you'll be fine. There's no reason why you absolutely have to use Magisk 23010 yet. I upgraded to 23010, discovered that SafetyNet no longer passes due to CTS profile mismatch, so I downgraded back to 23001, and using Magisk Hide + Riru + Universal SafetyNet Fix, I have SafetyNet pass.
Here's the link for the actual APK from Github.

When you uninstall Magisk from within the app, it restores the boot images for you; you don't have to do that manually.

You need to be familiar with Android Platform Tools (adb and fastboot), as well as where to get the factory image for your device, how to extract files, and how to copy them to/from your phone.
Here's some more detailed instructions:

1. Launch Magisk. Tap Uninstall, then Restore Images. Once it finishes, go back to Uninstall, then Complete Uninstall. Let it reboot your phone.
  2. You will boot into unrooted Android without Magisk. Install 23001.
  3. If you haven't already, download the Android 12 factory zip. Extract boot.img and copy it to your phone.
  4. Launch Magisk, then tap Install, then Select and Patch a File. Patch the boot.img you just copied to your phone. Copy the magsik_patched-23001_xxxxx.img back to your computer.
  5. Reboot to bootloader (I use ADB to do this:)
    [code[adb reboot bootloader[/code]
  6. Flash the patched boot image:
    Code:
    fastboot flash --slot=all boot magisk_patched-23001_xxxxx.img
    ***OR***
    Boot the patched image: (I like to do it this way)
    Code:
    fastboot boot magisk_patched-23001_xxxxx.img
  7. If you flashed the patched image, you're done.
  8. If you booted the patched image, launch Magisk, then tap Install, then Direct Install.

A significant thought that could use some testing:

An excellent point that was brought up from a Pixel 6 user:

Data wipe is required for permanent root after upgrading to Android 12. That much we know.

But what about a device that had an original clean install of Android 12?

Who here wiped when upgrading to Android 12, and did not reflash vbmeta until AFTER you set up your device?
Basically, we need to determine if it matters when you flash vbmeta. Here's what needs to be tested:
- Factory flash Android 12 with a wipe; do NOT disable verity and verification
- Set up and use your device
- After everything is set up (download all your apps) attempt to reflash vbmeta with verity and verification disabled, as well as a patched boot image.

If this is successful, this means we shouldn't have to wipe every time we take a monthly update.

Neuken6969

Sep 25, 2018
Hello all, I'm running A11 rooted. I REALLY don't want to wipe my phone, can I flash all without the -w and upgrade to A12 u rooted???

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hello all, I'm running A11 rooted. I REALLY don't want to wipe my phone, can I flash all without the -w and upgrade to A12 u rooted???
If you want to upgrade and keep your data, I would recommend using the OTA.

@HumorBaby has a guide on upgrading from the 12 Beta to 12 Stable without wiping data, but he did wipe when he installed the 12 Beta. You can use the OTA to upgrade from Android 11; just be aware that so far we have not found a way to upgrade AND keep data AND root.

If you choose to try this and are able to root without wiping /data, please post your results here.

Neuken6969

Sep 25, 2018
Right now, don't care about root. I would flash the OTA? Confused how to the OTA when rooted in A11

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Right now, don't care about root. I would flash the OTA? Confused how to the OTA when rooted in A11
Download the OTA from Google and sideload it via ADB.

To everyone else:

I have bad news.

Flashed /vbmeta and /boot back to stock. Booted fine.
Flashed patched boot image. "failed to load/verify boot images" as expected.
Flashed /vbmeta with disable flags. "Cannot load Android system. Your data may be corrupt."

Uh oh...

Flashed /vbmeta and /boot back to stock, booted patched image.

Folks...I hate to say it, but unless we find a way around this, we are going to have to wipe every time we reflash /vbmeta.

TBH I kinda want to go back to the 12 Beta just because we didn't have to deal with this sh!t.

Tried dirty flashing 12 Beta. Corruption error.

OTA'd the stable and flashed vbmeta/boot in fastboot. At least I'm running again, but I've lost root, although I suspect this to be a Magisk issue. I'm pretty sure I used 23010 to patch the boot image, but even with 23010 installed, no root, so I can't clean out Magisk and start over.

Why is this such a pain in the ass? If it ain't broke don't fix it, but they had to go and make things harder for us.

Last edited:

Spookymyo

Dec 12, 2007
Morristown, TN
Google Pixel 4
Well, it looks like I'm definitely not immune.

Started from 12b5 (clean flash coming from Android 11), rooted.

Took the OTA today, rebooted, no root as expected.

Got home, flashed vbmeta to both slots with boot verification disabled.

Attempted to live boot my patched boot image from the 12 Beta, got boot.img missing cmdline or OS version

Bootlooped twice, got the "data may be corrupt" error in recovery

Reflashed vbmeta to both slots without disable flags, same result.

Dirty flashed factory image via ADB without disable flags, same result.

Dirty flashed factory image via Android Flash Tool without disable flags, same result.

Dirty flashed Beta 5 factory image via ADB, same result.

Tried to reflash vbmeta, vbmeta_system, and boot. Same result.

Now doing a CLEAN flash of the 210812.015 factory image with disable flags set. Booted and going through setup.

Patched boot image. Able to live boot patched image. Performed Magisk "direct install", about to reboot.

It worked! Now rooted on 12 Final, but had to wipe data.

Working on Safetynet now.

So to recap:

Nothing worked until I clean flashed the factory image with verity and verification disabled. I was then able to successfully root, and did not have to reflash anything. Unfortunately, it did require a data wipe.
How did you disable verity and certification? I've tried using the flash tool and it always fails.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
How did you disable verity and certification? I've tried using the flash tool and it always fails.
I've done it manually as well as by using the flash tool.

Manually, you just add
--disable-verity --disable-verification
when flashing vbmeta.

So like this:
fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img

Via Android Flash Tool, you just check the boxes.

I assume your bootloader is unlocked?

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I would like to recognize @ipdev for finding this:
To add to V0latyle's post.

Pixel 4a [sunfish] has no issue updating and installing Magisk on Android 12.

The issue starts with Pixel 4a (5G) [bramble].
This is also the first Pixel using Boot Header v3.​
Boot image header, version 3 - source.android - Link
Vendor boot header - source.android - Link

The 3, 3a, and 4 series along with 4a are using header v2.

4a (5G), 5 and 5a are using header v3.

Just downloaded and checked.
6 and 6 Pro are using header v4.

I am not sure if that is the problem but, it is quite a distinguishing line between Pixels that have this issue with Magisk and those that do not on Android 12. 🙃

After a little more testing on my 5 [redfin], I will open an issue on GitHub.
Magisk - GitHub - Issues - Link

Cheers all. :cowboy:
We still don't know if this has something to do with our issue, but there's a huge chance it does.

Neuken6969

Sep 25, 2018
If you want to upgrade and keep your data, I would recommend using the OTA.

@HumorBaby has a guide on upgrading from the 12 Beta to 12 Stable without wiping data, but he did wipe when he installed the 12 Beta. You can use the OTA to upgrade from Android 11; just be aware that so far we have not found a way to upgrade AND keep data AND root.

If you choose to try this and are able to root without wiping /data, please post your results here.
Ok .... Well I did not apply the OTA, for weeks my phone has an Android 12 update and always failed because I'm rooted. Well it took the update and I'm A12 not rooted. Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a pixel 5, was running Android 11 with oct. 5 security update.
    1. I flashed the non verizon factory image from the google factory image repository.
    2. then patched my boot image
    3. then tried to flash magisk patched boot
    4. it kept going to bootloader saying error from @V0latyle where the boot image did not match because I didn't disable the flag.
    5. I reflashed the non verizon factory image for pixel 5.
    6. I went through the initial google setup and then adb back into bootloader.
    7. I tried using the disable flags command in the flash-all.bat file from the factory image. It failed and went to recovery and said I had a corrupt system image in recovery mode.
    8. I factory reset and reflashed factory image without flags in the flash-all.bat file
    9. Went through google initial setup
    10. adb back into fastboot.
    11. pushed the disable flag commaned with --slot=all
    12. patched magisk image
    13. booted into A12 with root.
    14. So far root has taken for everything and no issues.
    1635805647408.png

We finally figured it out.

Turns out that once dm-verity and vbmeta verification are disabled, you CANNOT let the system boot with them enabled. If /vbmeta gets flashed, such as during an OTA or a factory image, and you let it boot into system, disabling verity/verification is going to require a wipe.

Unfortunately, for those of you upgrading from Android 11, there is simply no way around this - for permanent root, verity/verification must be disabled, and to disable verity/verification, /data must be clean.

I will be updating my guides shortly.

I am closing this thread as it is no longer relevant. For rooting instructions or further discussion, please go here.

Current status as of October 21: Data wipe required for permanent root. Patched boot image can be live booted after upgrade for temporary root.

Update 10-29: I have posted a thread over in the Android Development forum so that developers can hopefully take a look at what might be causing our boot issues. Please don't post there but feel free to check for updates.

Since some of us are running into issues with root after upgrading to Android 12, I'd like to invite everyone to share their results here.

Please be as descriptive as possible, and include at the very least the following information:
    * What software you were running before the update
    * What method you used to update:
    - Automatic OTA
    - Manual OTA
    - Android Flash Tool
    - Manual factory image
    * Whether or not you wiped /data or did a factory reset
    * Any issues you ran into during the process
    * Your current state (bootloop, bootloader error, recovery error, system with or without root)

Hopefully this will help us narrow down on exactly what is causing some of the problems.
    I am closing this thread as it is no longer relevant. For rooting instructions or further discussion, please go here.