• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[CLOSED] Android 12 Upgrade Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi ! I'm on A12 november clean install & disable verity & verification Root magisk canary.
But after flash a mod I loose the root 😔

For Root magisk again I do flash before the original boot image and restart to remove correctly the root.
But do flash disable verity & verification vmbeta before ?

And after restart install manager flash boot img. And on fastboot flash vmbeta disable verity & verification and flash boot img modified it's right ?
Thanks
There is a known issue where Magisk may "disconnect" from root in the kernel due to a signature mismatch; the way to avoid this is to perform "Complete Uninstall" within Magisk itself.

If root is lost because of a module or some other problem, there's no way to really clean up the Magisk installation so that root will work again, unless you perform a factory reset.

You do not have to reflash vbmeta if you're restoring the factory boot image. Vbmeta only needs to be flashed if you are updating.

Reactions: ggkameleon
There is a known issue where Magisk may "disconnect" from root in the kernel due to a signature mismatch; the way to avoid this is to perform "Complete Uninstall" within Magisk itself.

If root is lost because of a module or some other problem, there's no way to really clean up the Magisk installation so that root will work again, unless you perform a factory reset.

You do not have to reflash vbmeta if you're restoring the factory boot image. Vbmeta only needs to be flashed if you are updating.
Thanks for awnser.

Krsmqn

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 5
Is anybody else getting prompts to update to Android 12 after they've already updated to Android 12?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211110-110114.png
    Screenshot_20211110-110114.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20211110-110158.png
    Screenshot_20211110-110158.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: V0latyle

eecummings

Aug 25, 2013
During the 11-->12 OTA, I managed to keep root by:
flash boot patched_image, reboot (FAIL)
boot patched_image, reboot (FAIL)
flash boot stock_image, reboot (OK, no root)
boot patched_image, reboot (ok, have root).
Following these steps with the Nov. OTA, the final step seems to silently fail and boot with the stock image (no root).
Is this the expected behavior and I'll have to gain root the hard way?
[ Pixel 5a ]

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
During the 11-->12 OTA, I managed to keep root by:
flash boot patched_image, reboot (FAIL)
boot patched_image, reboot (FAIL)
flash boot stock_image, reboot (OK, no root)
boot patched_image, reboot (ok, have root).
Following these steps with the Nov. OTA, the final step seems to silently fail and boot with the stock image (no root).
Is this the expected behavior and I'll have to gain root the hard way?
[ Pixel 5a ]
Yes. There is currently no way to be able to keep your data AND root after upgrading to Android 12....with the exception of booting the patched image for temporary root.

Reactions: ipdev

hssxda

Jul 13, 2015
Hello All -

Thank you @V0latyle for all your hard work for the community here. I have been running A11 rooted and had been pushing off upgrading to A12 for weeks / months (not sure) until last night I decided what the heck let me try to upgrade. BIG MISTAKE!

I spent hours last night trying to get A12 rooted on my device without a full wipe (which now I know from this thread isn't possible). I sideloaded the A12 OTA with platform tools and I mostly followed the instructions here to try to root it. I spent 3 hours got every error possible from corrupted, no boot image, to endless bootloop all to no avail. I tried patching with both Canary versions and stable versions of Magisk and even tried to do the temp boot into the Magisk patched which didn't work either. Thankfully I was able to rescue my device by using the flashall.bat without -w in an elevated command prompt (must "run as administrator" or doesn't work properly)

Currently I am on A12 without root and I don't want to hassle with clean wipe right now (no time or patience) and not so enthralled with the new look of A12 especially the quicksettings huge tiles.

My question now is what is the best and safest way to "downgrade" back to A11 and then re-root like I had before? I am thinking to just sideload the A11 OTA but figured I would post and ask here first.

Thanks!

hssxda

Jul 13, 2015
Hello All -

Thank you @V0latyle for all your hard work for the community here. I have been running A11 rooted and had been pushing off upgrading to A12 for weeks / months (not sure) until last night I decided what the heck let me try to upgrade. BIG MISTAKE!

I spent hours last night trying to get A12 rooted on my device without a full wipe (which now I know from this thread isn't possible). I sideloaded the A12 OTA with platform tools and I mostly followed the instructions here to try to root it. I spent 3 hours got every error possible from corrupted, no boot image, to endless bootloop all to no avail. I tried patching with both Canary versions and stable versions of Magisk and even tried to do the temp boot into the Magisk patched which didn't work either. Thankfully I was able to rescue my device by using the flashall.bat without -w in an elevated command prompt (must "run as administrator" or doesn't work properly)

Currently I am on A12 without root and I don't want to hassle with clean wipe right now (no time or patience) and not so enthralled with the new look of A12 especially the quicksettings huge tiles.

My question now is what is the best and safest way to "downgrade" back to A11 and then re-root like I had before? I am thinking to just sideload the A11 OTA but figured I would post and ask here first.

Thanks!
and @V0latyle I am willing to try any other "tricks" or ideas you may have...

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hello All -

Thanks!
The most foolproof way to downgrade would be with the Android Flash Tool. However, downgrading generally requires a wipe. You can try dirty flashing, but again, it's likely you're going to have to wipe your data anyway.

and @V0latyle I am willing to try any other "tricks" or ideas you may have...
The ideas I had were mainly for upgrading to Android 12 to see if there might be a way for someone to go from A11 > A12 > root without wiping data. So far nothing has worked though.

hssxda

Jul 13, 2015
The most foolproof way to downgrade would be with the Android Flash Tool. However, downgrading generally requires a wipe. You can try dirty flashing, but again, it's likely you're going to have to wipe your data anyway.
What do you recommend trying for dirty flashing? Sideload A11 OTA? or flash the full factory A11 image with flashall.bat and remove -w?

hssxda

Jul 13, 2015
Thanks @V0latyle for all your sage advice. I was forced to do a full wipe to either get root working on Android 12 or to downgrade to Android 11. I went ahead and did a full backup and then wiped and used the Android flash tool to install Android 12 again. Now I have Android 12 with root. However, my safety net doesn't pass. I am going to have to search through the threads to see what I need to do about that... Any links handy?

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
What do you recommend trying for dirty flashing? Sideload A11 OTA? or flash the full factory A11 image with flashall.bat and remove -w?
Again, I recommend you use the Android Flash Tool.

Do not sideload the OTA to downgrade.

Thanks @V0latyle for all your sage advice. I was forced to do a full wipe to either get root working on Android 12 or to downgrade to Android 11. I went ahead and did a full backup and then wiped and used the Android flash tool to install Android 12 again. Now I have Android 12 with root. However, my safety net doesn't pass. I am going to have to search through the threads to see what I need to do about that... Any links handy?
Latest Magisk Canary + Universal SafetyNet 2.2.0. It's working for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a pixel 5, was running Android 11 with oct. 5 security update.
    1. I flashed the non verizon factory image from the google factory image repository.
    2. then patched my boot image
    3. then tried to flash magisk patched boot
    4. it kept going to bootloader saying error from @V0latyle where the boot image did not match because I didn't disable the flag.
    5. I reflashed the non verizon factory image for pixel 5.
    6. I went through the initial google setup and then adb back into bootloader.
    7. I tried using the disable flags command in the flash-all.bat file from the factory image. It failed and went to recovery and said I had a corrupt system image in recovery mode.
    8. I factory reset and reflashed factory image without flags in the flash-all.bat file
    9. Went through google initial setup
    10. adb back into fastboot.
    11. pushed the disable flag commaned with --slot=all
    12. patched magisk image
    13. booted into A12 with root.
    14. So far root has taken for everything and no issues.
    1635805647408.png

We finally figured it out.

Turns out that once dm-verity and vbmeta verification are disabled, you CANNOT let the system boot with them enabled. If /vbmeta gets flashed, such as during an OTA or a factory image, and you let it boot into system, disabling verity/verification is going to require a wipe.

Unfortunately, for those of you upgrading from Android 11, there is simply no way around this - for permanent root, verity/verification must be disabled, and to disable verity/verification, /data must be clean.

I will be updating my guides shortly.
    Gdamn, I really want to run lawnchair but rooting android is such a pain in the butt these days.

Also, I kinda like my gpay - wish I had sideloaded the OTA rather than clean flashed :/

Hopefully you guys can figure something out, watching this thread anxiously
    I am closing this thread as it is no longer relevant. For rooting instructions or further discussion, please go here.

Current status as of October 21: Data wipe required for permanent root. Patched boot image can be live booted after upgrade for temporary root.

Update 10-29: I have posted a thread over in the Android Development forum so that developers can hopefully take a look at what might be causing our boot issues. Please don't post there but feel free to check for updates.

Since some of us are running into issues with root after upgrading to Android 12, I'd like to invite everyone to share their results here.

Please be as descriptive as possible, and include at the very least the following information:
    * What software you were running before the update
    * What method you used to update:
    - Automatic OTA
    - Manual OTA
    - Android Flash Tool
    - Manual factory image
    * Whether or not you wiped /data or did a factory reset
    * Any issues you ran into during the process
    * Your current state (bootloop, bootloader error, recovery error, system with or without root)

Hopefully this will help us narrow down on exactly what is causing some of the problems.
    I am closing this thread as it is no longer relevant. For rooting instructions or further discussion, please go here.