[CLOSED] Android 12 Upgrade Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Ok .... Well I did not apply the OTA, for weeks my phone has an Android 12 update and always failed because I'm rooted. Well it took the update and I'm A12 not rooted. Weird
That's because we have systemless root; root is patched into the boot image. When you take an update, /boot is overwritten with the new image, which is why you lose root.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
1635805647408.png

We finally figured it out.

Turns out that once dm-verity and vbmeta verification are disabled, you CANNOT let the system boot with them enabled. If /vbmeta gets flashed, such as during an OTA or a factory image, and you let it boot into system, disabling verity/verification is going to require a wipe.

Unfortunately, for those of you upgrading from Android 11, there is simply no way around this - for permanent root, verity/verification must be disabled, and to disable verity/verification, /data must be clean.

I will be updating my guides shortly.

Reactions: ipdev and andybones

kroogar

Jun 1, 2010
edit:
And of course I found the setting moments after asking this... It's the Accessibility Menu... sorry for the inconvenience :-(

Sorry if this has been answered... I just don't know what to search for...

After the upgrade to Android 12 on my Pixed 5, I have this little annoying green button with three dots on my home screen. I can move it around but I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn it off... It's some sort of "quick access" to settings.

Anyone?

Last edited:

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Do you mean having vbmeta disabled previously on A11, then flashing the factory image and disabling vbmeta before booting? That works.
That's exactly what I mean. The question in my mind is whether disabling vbmeta would require a wipe on Android 11. It wasn't necessary to run a patched boot image, so if it doesn't require a data wipe, it may just be the ticket for those who want to upgrade from 11 to 12 and root without wiping data.

Anonshe

Aug 11, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
That's exactly what I mean. The question in my mind is whether disabling vbmeta would require a wipe on Android 11.
I should've tested this but I'm 90% sure, it didn't need a wipe as encryption was not tied to verified boot on Pixels till A12.
It wasn't necessary to run a patched boot image, so if it doesn't require a data wipe, it may just be the ticket for those who want to upgrade from 11 to 12 and root without wiping data.
This can be tested, I'd suggest having backups though as jumping Android versions always have the possibility of a race condition appearing.

Spookymyo

I've done it manually as well as by using the flash tool.

Manually, you just add
--disable-verity --disable-verification
when flashing vbmeta.

So like this:
fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img

Via Android Flash Tool, you just check the boxes.

I assume your bootloader is unlocked?
Thanks. I tried that. Not sure how to verify but I didn't get an error. And yes my bootloader is unlocked.

Reactions: andybones
Hi ! I'm on A12 november clean install & disable verity & verification Root magisk canary.
But after flash a mod I loose the root 😔

For Root magisk again I do flash before the original boot image and restart to remove correctly the root.
But do flash disable verity & verification vmbeta before ?

And after restart install manager flash boot img. And on fastboot flash vmbeta disable verity & verification and flash boot img modified it's right ?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211109-143155.png
    Screenshot_20211109-143155.png
    155.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20211109-143149.png
    Screenshot_20211109-143149.png
    468 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a pixel 5, was running Android 11 with oct. 5 security update.
    1. I flashed the non verizon factory image from the google factory image repository.
    2. then patched my boot image
    3. then tried to flash magisk patched boot
    4. it kept going to bootloader saying error from @V0latyle where the boot image did not match because I didn't disable the flag.
    5. I reflashed the non verizon factory image for pixel 5.
    6. I went through the initial google setup and then adb back into bootloader.
    7. I tried using the disable flags command in the flash-all.bat file from the factory image. It failed and went to recovery and said I had a corrupt system image in recovery mode.
    8. I factory reset and reflashed factory image without flags in the flash-all.bat file
    9. Went through google initial setup
    10. adb back into fastboot.
    11. pushed the disable flag commaned with --slot=all
    12. patched magisk image
    13. booted into A12 with root.
    14. So far root has taken for everything and no issues.
    1635805647408.png

We finally figured it out.

Turns out that once dm-verity and vbmeta verification are disabled, you CANNOT let the system boot with them enabled. If /vbmeta gets flashed, such as during an OTA or a factory image, and you let it boot into system, disabling verity/verification is going to require a wipe.

Unfortunately, for those of you upgrading from Android 11, there is simply no way around this - for permanent root, verity/verification must be disabled, and to disable verity/verification, /data must be clean.

I will be updating my guides shortly.
    Gdamn, I really want to run lawnchair but rooting android is such a pain in the butt these days.

Also, I kinda like my gpay - wish I had sideloaded the OTA rather than clean flashed :/

Hopefully you guys can figure something out, watching this thread anxiously
    I am closing this thread as it is no longer relevant. For rooting instructions or further discussion, please go here.

Current status as of October 21: Data wipe required for permanent root. Patched boot image can be live booted after upgrade for temporary root.

Update 10-29: I have posted a thread over in the Android Development forum so that developers can hopefully take a look at what might be causing our boot issues. Please don't post there but feel free to check for updates.

Since some of us are running into issues with root after upgrading to Android 12, I'd like to invite everyone to share their results here.

Please be as descriptive as possible, and include at the very least the following information:
    * What software you were running before the update
    * What method you used to update:
    - Automatic OTA
    - Manual OTA
    - Android Flash Tool
    - Manual factory image
    * Whether or not you wiped /data or did a factory reset
    * Any issues you ran into during the process
    * Your current state (bootloop, bootloader error, recovery error, system with or without root)

Hopefully this will help us narrow down on exactly what is causing some of the problems.
    I am closing this thread as it is no longer relevant. For rooting instructions or further discussion, please go here.