• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[CLOSED][APP][MOD] Cerberus 2.3 Hidden from Play Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

inh

Jan 15, 2011
The hidden 'system framework' version (cerberus_disguised) is an awesome idea, unfortunately if a thief were to look at your installed apps in the play store, Cerberus would be right there in front of him. Another issue is if anyone looks in your /system/app/ directory, there is a big fat Cerberus.apk right there. Now, I know most people that steal/find phones aren't going to look this far in to it, but what if you get someone that does...

I decided to modify the package name of the installed app so it would not show up as installed in the play store. At the same time I took the liberty of naming it SystemFramework.apk to better go along with the naming of the disguised version of the app. This was the last step needed to be taken in order to really stealth install Cerberus on your phone. Since I know that I personally don't feel that great about installing modified apps from other people I decided to outline how I did it so that if you're like me, you can do it yourself :) If you want to cut to the chase, I've included modified versions of the standard Cerberus app, the hidden one that shows up on your device as 'System Framework', and a flashable zip to install the hidden version to /system/app/SystemFramework.apk. It doesn't get much more hidden than that!

Read on to do it yoruself. Note that you will need the android development installed.

The first step is to download the app: https://www.cerberusapp.com/download.php
I'll be working with Cerberus_disguised.apk as that is the most hidden version provided. Once it's done you can make a flashable zip of it to install it to /system so it will be harder to remove.

The first step is to decompile the app with apktool. Get that here: http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/
Then run it:
Code:
apktool d Cerberus_disguised.apk

Now create a new project in eclipse and choose 'android project from existing code' under 'android' adn select the folder that apktool created with the decompiled app as the root directory. Just accept all the default options for everything else. Once the project is loaded and you are back in eclipse, right click on the project on the left, go down to android tools, and select 'rename application package'
I changed mine to com.notlsdroid.cerberus and then accept all the changes.

Back to the command line to recompile the apk:
Code:
apktool d Cerberus_disguised/ new_cerberus_disguised.apk

Now you need to sign it. To make things simple we will sign it with a test key so android will allow us to install it. You can not install un-signed apps. First we will need the singing tools file which I found from http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Signing -- Get just the file here: http://goo.im/devs/drmacinyasha/wiki/signing-tools.zip

Now do the actual signing with the files from that zip:
Code:
java -Xmx1024m -jar signapk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 new_cerberus_disguised.apk new_cerberus_disguised.apk-signed.apk

You can of course use whatever .apk names you want. Now take new_cerberus_disguised.apk-signed.apk and install it. I named mine SystemFramework.apk and modified the provided Cerberus_disguised-ICS.zip file as a base to make a flashable zip. I tweaked the updater script to both remove old versions of SystemFramework.apk (in case I'm doing an update) and the stock cerberus app since I assume most people will be flashing over it. my updater-script looks like this:

Code:
show_progress(1.000000, 0);

ui_print("Mounting /system");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
set_progress(0.125000);

ui_print("Mounting /data");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/data");
set_progress(0.250000);

ui_print("Deleting old APK from /system");
delete("/system/app/SystemFramework.apk");
delete("/system/app/Cerberus.apk");
delete("/system/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus.apk");
delete("/system/app/com.notlsdroid.cerberus.apk");
set_progress(0.375000);

ui_print("Deleting old APK from /data");
delete("/data/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus.apk");
delete("/data/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus-1.apk");
delete("/data/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus-2.apk");
delete("/data/app/com.notlsdroid.cerberus.apk");
delete("/data/app/com.notlsdroid.cerberus-1.apk");
delete("/data/app/com.notlsdroid.cerberus-2.apk");
set_progress(0.500000);

ui_print("Extracting files to /system");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
set_progress(0.625000);

ui_print("Unmounting /data");
unmount("/data");
set_progress(0.750000);

ui_print("Unmounting /system");
unmount("/system");
set_progress(0.875000);

ui_print("Installation complete!");
set_progress(1.000000);

Just replace the file names accordingly. Unzip one of the flashable zip files from the Cerberus website to your computer, replace the .apk in the system/app/ folder, and re-zip it. You can then sign it using the same procedure above but instead of specifying the input and output .apk names you specify the zip file.

Last edited by a moderator:

WattB006

Sep 24, 2011
Nebraska
Great thinking about this. I am going to go ahead and try this once I get home. Thanks for sharing this. I will let you know if I run into any issues.

inh

Jan 15, 2011
Cool, thank you. I tested it out and so far I haven't had any issues on my Nexus 4.

tristaoeast

Jul 16, 2011
Lisboa
I've flashed your SystemFramework.apk to my N7 with CM10.1-Nightly-24032013 and it works great!! But then I tried to flash it to my Samsung Galaxy Mini (running CM10.1 also) with CWM 6.0.2.7 and I get this error:
Code:
Installing update...
E:ERROR in /sdcard/Download/SystemFrameworkAPK.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

Don't have the minimum clue about what's causing this... Does any1 have any idea?

thatlonedude

Dec 24, 2010
I've flashed your SystemFramework.apk to my N7 with CM10.1-Nightly-24032013 and it works great!! But then I tried to flash it to my Samsung Galaxy Mini (running CM10.1 also) with CWM 6.0.2.7 and I get this error:
Code:
Installing update...
E:ERROR in /sdcard/Download/SystemFrameworkAPK.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted.

Don't have the minimum clue about what's causing this... Does any1 have any idea?

I could be wrong but I think that means you have to redownload it

engel666sk

Mar 15, 2012
Cannot live without cerberus on my devices

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

koubi

Sep 5, 2005
it always update the Play. I have hidden version 2.3. This is not good when the update comes PlayStore

Koubi

Vortex853

May 16, 2012
rat application

Is it possible to take advantage of this application and turn it into a rat application *to spy on certain victims

The idea*
By making the application is installed hidden and inject a user name and password in this application is to communicate with the victim :cool:

azrash

Sep 18, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for this! Perhaps Cerberus should done this by default for their disguised version.

Will drop them an email

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

WasSpiedon333

Dec 22, 2018
Yes it would seem so. Of course it can be used to track down a thief. But have no doubts about it. People will use this for other wishes, spy girl friend.. spy on your boss. Of course they won't be very tech savvy but majority of people are not tech savvy.. And the ways this app hides is almost down Right scary..

dan60

Jun 14, 2016
Thief developer! I've bought Cerberus lifetime licence, much before it's monthly payments plan, but the developer, DESPITE HAVING SENT ME AN EMAIL SAYING HE'D RESPECT OUR OLD CONTRACT, canceled my access and forced me to buy his monthly plan. Of course I didn't. 😠😠😠😠

Reactions: all43 and spart0n

ainidmor

Jun 19, 2006
Thief developer! I've bought Cerberus lifetime licence, much before it's monthly payments plan, but the developer, DESPITE HAVING SENT ME AN EMAIL SAYING HE'D RESPECT OUR OLD CONTRACT, canceled my access and forced me to buy his monthly plan. Of course I didn't. 😠😠😠😠
+1. If he had made an offer with a special price for those of us who had a lifetime license, maybe I would understand; but he has simply decided to cancel the licenses. I will not pay one euro more for this product, even if I like it.

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
@inh

Thread closed as paid apps are not accepted.
https://www.cerberusapp.com/pricing

XDA Forum Rules (excerpt):
11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.

• Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and to offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar / substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
  • Do not post press releases, announcements, links to trial software or commercial services, unless you’re posting an exclusive release for XDA-Developers.com.
  • Encouraging members to participate in forum activities on other phone related sites is prohibited.
  • Off-site downloads are permitted if the site is non-commercial and does not require registration.
  • Off-site downloads from sites requiring registration are NOT encouraged but may be permitted if both of the following conditions are met:
    A) The site belongs to a member of XDA-Developers with at least 1500 posts and 2 years membership, who actively maintains an XDA-Developers support thread(s) / posts, related to the download.
    B) The site is a relatively small, personal website without commercial advertising / links (i.e. not a competitor forum-based site with purposes and aims similar to those of XDA-Developers.com.)
Please advise the moderators team to re-open the thread when ready to provide a completely free version to the XDA members.

Respectfully
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The hidden 'system framework' version (cerberus_disguised) is an awesome idea, unfortunately if a thief were to look at your installed apps in the play store, Cerberus would be right there in front of him. Another issue is if anyone looks in your /system/app/ directory, there is a big fat Cerberus.apk right there. Now, I know most people that steal/find phones aren't going to look this far in to it, but what if you get someone that does...

I decided to modify the package name of the installed app so it would not show up as installed in the play store. At the same time I took the liberty of naming it SystemFramework.apk to better go along with the naming of the disguised version of the app. This was the last step needed to be taken in order to really stealth install Cerberus on your phone. Since I know that I personally don't feel that great about installing modified apps from other people I decided to outline how I did it so that if you're like me, you can do it yourself :) If you want to cut to the chase, I've included modified versions of the standard Cerberus app, the hidden one that shows up on your device as 'System Framework', and a flashable zip to install the hidden version to /system/app/SystemFramework.apk. It doesn't get much more hidden than that!

Read on to do it yoruself. Note that you will need the android development installed.

The first step is to download the app: https://www.cerberusapp.com/download.php
    I'll be working with Cerberus_disguised.apk as that is the most hidden version provided. Once it's done you can make a flashable zip of it to install it to /system so it will be harder to remove.

The first step is to decompile the app with apktool. Get that here: http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/
    Then run it:
    Code:
    apktool d Cerberus_disguised.apk

Now create a new project in eclipse and choose 'android project from existing code' under 'android' adn select the folder that apktool created with the decompiled app as the root directory. Just accept all the default options for everything else. Once the project is loaded and you are back in eclipse, right click on the project on the left, go down to android tools, and select 'rename application package'
    I changed mine to com.notlsdroid.cerberus and then accept all the changes.

Back to the command line to recompile the apk:
    Code:
    apktool d Cerberus_disguised/ new_cerberus_disguised.apk

Now you need to sign it. To make things simple we will sign it with a test key so android will allow us to install it. You can not install un-signed apps. First we will need the singing tools file which I found from http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Signing -- Get just the file here: http://goo.im/devs/drmacinyasha/wiki/signing-tools.zip

Now do the actual signing with the files from that zip:
    Code:
    java -Xmx1024m -jar signapk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 new_cerberus_disguised.apk new_cerberus_disguised.apk-signed.apk

You can of course use whatever .apk names you want. Now take new_cerberus_disguised.apk-signed.apk and install it. I named mine SystemFramework.apk and modified the provided Cerberus_disguised-ICS.zip file as a base to make a flashable zip. I tweaked the updater script to both remove old versions of SystemFramework.apk (in case I'm doing an update) and the stock cerberus app since I assume most people will be flashing over it. my updater-script looks like this:

Code:
    show_progress(1.000000, 0);

ui_print("Mounting /system");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
    set_progress(0.125000);

ui_print("Mounting /data");
    run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/data");
    set_progress(0.250000);

ui_print("Deleting old APK from /system");
    delete("/system/app/SystemFramework.apk");
    delete("/system/app/Cerberus.apk");
    delete("/system/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus.apk");
    delete("/system/app/com.notlsdroid.cerberus.apk");
    set_progress(0.375000);

ui_print("Deleting old APK from /data");
    delete("/data/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus.apk");
    delete("/data/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus-1.apk");
    delete("/data/app/com.lsdroid.cerberus-2.apk");
    delete("/data/app/com.notlsdroid.cerberus.apk");
    delete("/data/app/com.notlsdroid.cerberus-1.apk");
    delete("/data/app/com.notlsdroid.cerberus-2.apk");
    set_progress(0.500000);

ui_print("Extracting files to /system");
    package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
    set_progress(0.625000);

ui_print("Unmounting /data");
    unmount("/data");
    set_progress(0.750000);

ui_print("Unmounting /system");
    unmount("/system");
    set_progress(0.875000);

ui_print("Installation complete!");
    set_progress(1.000000);

Just replace the file names accordingly. Unzip one of the flashable zip files from the Cerberus website to your computer, replace the .apk in the system/app/ folder, and re-zip it. You can then sign it using the same procedure above but instead of specifying the input and output .apk names you specify the zip file.