[CLOSED][APP][XPOSED][6.0+] XPrivacyLua - Android privacy manager [UNSUPPORTED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I personally block analytics, tracking and identifiers for the apps you have listed. I also use all of the Fif hooks in the pro app. I block everything in the myverizon app and disable it, as it grabs all sorts of data. I just log into the website for account management.
Thank you so much for the reply. Do you use Android messages and its chat feature?? Have you noticed any lost functionality because you have restricted those items. Anytime I block anything in the carrier or Google play services chat fails after an hour or so and I can only use SMS and MMS.

Can you provide me a link to those FIF hooks? I have been reading about hooks and the private companion app, but I don't have that app personally yet. With the discontinuation of support for the time being, I am less driven to get it now too. I am reading about this, but I am not a developer so learning is slow. Examples and help are much appreciated.

Edit: is there a reason you're not spoofing the telephony data? Isn't that where the fake IMEI, device model, and other data is spoofed? Does enabling this give u issues with these services?

Last edited:

backlitpetals

Nov 28, 2022
Got tired of clicking through LSPosed every time I install something new, so I set up Automate do to the clicking for me once XprivacyLua's "Review privacy settings" notification is clicked.

UI automation is brittle (subject to failure on upgrade), and this implementation is entirely slap dash (at one point it's pressing the tab key to select the right UI element), but its been working reliably for me for the last couple weeks. I've learned a bit more xpath since I first created it so it will probably be get cleaned up in a later version. That will happen latest when an LSPosed upgrade breaks it, which as stated is likely to occur. The brittleness of this thing is exacerbated by the fact that most element identifiers in LSPosed's UI are obfuscated.

This automation is probably not suitable for many folks who use XPrivacy because it requires trusting a separate closed source app with root (to whack LSPosed so I know its UI state when it comes up - probably could drop that requirement but it made things easy for v1) as well as accessibility-level interface access in order to perform the actual UI inputs.

Reactions: ajolly and heinhuiz

Amd4life

Dec 30, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Vivo X Fold
Thank you so much for the reply. Do you use Android messages and its chat feature?? Have you noticed any lost functionality because you have restricted those items. Anytime I block anything in the carrier or Google play services chat fails after an hour or so and I can only use SMS and MMS.

Can you provide me a link to those FIF hooks? I have been reading about hooks and the private companion app, but I don't have that app personally yet. With the discontinuation of support for the time being, I am less driven to get it now too. I am reading about this, but I am not a developer so learning is slow. Examples and help are much appreciated.

Edit: is there a reason you're not spoofing the telephony data? Isn't that where the fake IMEI, device model, and other data is spoofed? Does enabling this give u issues with these services?
I don't use the chat feature, so I can't speak to that. I use Signal for the most part.

The Fif hooks are available in the pro app. So if inclined I would recommend supporting the developer and buying a license. Although I not sure he still accepts payments on his site, and "maybe" the prob companion app is now "unsupported", ie. free???

Some of the system apps don't work well if you block/limit telephony data. Each device is different, and different OS builds have all sorts of app connections. You will have to try and figure out what works best for YOUR device and environment.

Read the entire thread, as almost every question has been answered by the developer, and others, multiple times. Hope that helps and good luck.

backlitpetals

Nov 28, 2022
Got tired of clicking through LSPosed every time I install something new, so I set up Automate do to the clicking for me once XprivacyLua's "Review privacy settings" notification is clicked.

UI automation is brittle (subject to failure on upgrade), and this implementation is entirely slap dash (at one point it's pressing the tab key to select the right UI element), but its been working reliably for me for the last couple weeks. I've learned a bit more xpath since I first created it so it will probably be get cleaned up in a later version. That will happen latest when an LSPosed upgrade breaks it, which as stated is likely to occur. The brittleness of this thing is exacerbated by the fact that most element identifiers in LSPosed's UI are obfuscated.

This automation is probably not suitable for many folks who use XPrivacy because it requires trusting a separate closed source app with root (to whack LSPosed so I know its UI state when it comes up - probably could drop that requirement but it made things easy for v1) as well as accessibility-level interface access in order to perform the actual UI inputs.

Should Have Searched (r).

Prior UI automation art ala tasker:
* https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...acy-manager-unsupported.3730663/post-84525681

... and via editing of the backend lsposed database:
* with tasker: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...acy-manager-unsupported.3730663/post-87021467
* with automate: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-0-simple-magisk-module.4228973/post-85827845

Also somewhat off-topic, so I'll rest my case.

Reactions: verspax

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
yujincheng08 commented there to go to libxposed/XposedService#1 (https://github.com/libxposed/XposedService/issues/1) to discuss it. When you go there it looks like there's an open issue and a discussion of a handful of comments about it. Is this where I should leave the comment asking for the developers to develop an API to manage scopes?
I think you should leave your comment in the first discussion, because that thread is on the LSposed github page. The other thread is merely a generic proposal for an API, which might or might not be implemented to solve the LSposed issue.

linuxdep

May 22, 2013
Black Friday for privacy...R.I.P
It has been with me for years, just reinstalled on a Pixel 6 A13 and now this message. Data protection has in no way moved into the OS... why should all APPs be able to collect all the data on the device? Then I'll have to see how long it's going to be the way it is.

Can you actually register other devices for the Pro version or is that no longer possible?

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I think you should leave your comment in the first discussion, because that thread is on the LSposed github page. The other thread is merely a generic proposal for an API, which might or might not be implemented to solve the LSposed issue.

A "mywalkb" reply to the LS posed thread on GitHub after I replied to it with a comment. Here is what the response was

"You can wait the issue #9 or use my mod mywalkb/LSPosed_mod"

Does that mod help @M66B?

• Love
Reactions: kaefers

ajolly

Aug 24, 2006
OnePlus 9 Pro
I am considering to terminate support on January 5th 2023 because:
  • Not many people use the module anymore
  • The support of the project is pretty limited
  • Android has become more privacy-friendly over time
  • The LSposed developers do not support the module (*)
  • The module is too often misused, for example to cheat in games, etc.
  • I have received enough hate mail
(*) They refuse to add an API to access scopes, resulting a too many questions and also loosing users.

This means that XPrivacyLua has been supported for exactly 5 years. XPrivacy was first released on June 12, 2013, so that's in total about 10 years of XPrivacy(Lua). I think that is a pretty long time.
I understand your decision but I’m definitely bummed out about it.

I just found this application, and started using it to write modules to hook on and modify various parts of the OS. It’s definitely been the most user-friendly way I found to do so.

I have used it to change the limits on notifications in android, and was writing more hook definitions to Modify the text of notifications, unbundle them, and even fix androids broken notification module where if you hit the notification limit it prevents any new notifications from coming in, instead of replacing the oldest.

Anyways thanks for all your work, and I’ll keep trying to figure out other ways to modify android under the hood.

Reactions: kaefers

ajolly

Aug 24, 2006
OnePlus 9 Pro
Few open questions:

1) Does anyone know how one might go about converting some of the existing hook definitions to a stand alone xsposed/magisk module?

I had searched for years unsuccessfully to find an xposed module to a) ungroup notifications, b) expand notifications. There's a number of old xposed modules (ex. XNotifications)that had this feature that no longer work in modern android.
Specifically looking at FIF Group Notifications and Intika SystemUI Mods, unexpand all notifs.

2) Is there a way for a hook module to know which application/module is calling the function we are hooking? Unsure if there's a stack or way for me to get that info.

3) If we want to replace part of a function via XPrivacy, that would require us to rewrite the existing java code into lua, correct?

4) Can someone explain the constructor part of the docs for me? It seems to be saying that if we wanted to modify a constant it may not work because the compiler might statically inline the variable?

5) Is there a better way to modify a static variable? I've done it before, but with a lot of manual work.
I'm trying to modify MAX_PACKAGE_NOTIFICATIONS, TOAST_RATE_LIMITS DEFAULT_MAX_NOTIFICATION_ENQUEUE_RATE, and a few others in https://android.googlesource.com/pl.../notification/NotificationManagerService.java

I've in the past been able to accomplish this goals by
1) exporting the services.jar file,
2) disassembling/decompiling the NotificationManager service
3) Modifying the smali bytecode
4) repacking it into a xposed module that replaces the services.jar

1) "bin\adb.exe" pull "/system/framework/services.jar" "adb/services.jar"
2) java-Xmx256m -jar .\apktool.jar d -o .\services.jar-decompiled .\adb\services.jar
2) Can also use JDKGui to view the java source
4) Pack/Create XPosedModule via SmaliPatcher

ps: If it helps anyone, small hook to change how many notifications android will bundle together in the notification area.
JSON:
{
  "script": [
    {
      "name": "Jolly.Notification Bundling Count",
      "code": "function after(hook, param)\r\n\tlocal result = param:getResult()\r\n\tif result == nil then\r\n\t\treturn false\r\n\tend\r\n\n\nlocal maxChildren = param:getSetting(\"Max Children For Grouping\")\n\r\n\tparam:setResult(maxChildren)\r\n\treturn true\r\nend\r\n"
    }
  ],
  "definition": [
    {
      "builtin": false,
      "collection": "Jolly",
      "group": "ShowMoreChildren",
      "name": "Notification Bundling Count",
      "author": "Jolly",
      "version": 0,
      "description": "Changes the number of notifications android bundles together in the notification area",
      "className": "com.android.systemui.statusbar.notification.stack.NotificationChildrenContainer",
      "methodName": "getMaxAllowedVisibleChildren",
      "parameterTypes": [
        "boolean"
      ],
      "returnType": "int",
      "minSdk": 1,
      "maxSdk": 319,
      "minApk": 0,
      "maxApk": 2147483647,
      "enabled": true,
      "optional": false,
      "usage": true,
      "notify": false,
      "luaScript": "@Jolly.Notification Bundling Count",
      "settings": [
        "Max Children For Grouping"
      ]
    }
  ]
}

Schroeder09

Nov 6, 2017
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I personally block analytics, tracking and identifiers for the apps you have listed. I also use all of the Fif hooks in the pro app. I block everything in the myverizon app and disable it, as it grabs all sorts of data. I just log into the website for account management.

I tried again to block simple tracking and analytics in the Google play services. It isn't instant. Sometimes it takes hours, but eventually the chat features stop working in Android messages. Will the fif hooks change this? I've read how restricting these things should just give garbage data. Idk why it isn't working. Is Google somehow determining that the data is garbage and this is causing me issue?

Amd4life

Dec 30, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Vivo X Fold
I tried again to block simple tracking and analytics in the Google play services. It isn't instant. Sometimes it takes hours, but eventually the chat features stop working in Android messages. Will the fif hooks change this? I've read how restricting these things should just give garbage data. Idk why it isn't working. Is Google somehow determining that the data is garbage and this is causing me issue?
Sorry I can't help with this, I use Signal for the most part.

nw8man

Apr 16, 2011
I've been using xprivacylua pro for past few years and very upset to see it's no longer active. Even the downloading of hooks has gone, I use them all the time. Ever so sad that a very useful product is no longer active, there are no good alternatives out there either. Real Privacy has truly died along with freedom of speech. I know my phone will no longer be safe.

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
I've been using xprivacylua pro for past few years and very upset to see it's no longer active. Even the downloading of hooks has gone, I use them all the time. Ever so sad that a very useful product is no longer active, there are no good alternatives out there either. Real Privacy has truly died along with freedom of speech. I know my phone will no longer be safe.

I have moved over the hook definitions repository to GitHub, so it won't be lost:

https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/tree/master/repo

There is a new version of the pro companion app available, which will download from this static repository now.

Can somebody double-check if listing and downloading hook definitions still works with version 0.82 of the pro companion app?

Just download the latest version to find the relocated hook definitions.

Conan179

Apr 28, 2010
It's a pity that it is no longer developed, I really liked using it under android12, among other things, to use my phototan, unfortunately I can't get it to run under Android13.

Conan179

Apr 28, 2010
I tried it with version 1.35 and 1.34, but you're right, it's not because of Android 13 and it's also not because of XPrivacyLua, the app that allows you to change the location doesn't work, it always takes the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XPrivacyLua

banner_play_store.png

Really simple to use privacy manager for Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later (successor of XPrivacy).

Revoking Android permissions from apps often let apps crash or malfunction. XPrivacyLua solves this by feeding apps fake data instead of real data.

Features:

• Simple to use
    • Manage any user or system app
    • Extensible
    • Multi-user support
    • Free and open source

See here for all details, including installation instructions and download link.

Please read the frequently asked questions before asking a question.

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of XPrivacyLua. Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to XPrivacyLua and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread, but anything not related to privacy is not allowed.

If XPrivacyLua doesn't work and/or when "module not running or updated" is shown, this is almost always caused by an Xposed problem.

Discussions about purchases are not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XPrivacyLua is being maintained and community supported, but new features won't be added anymore.

Custom hook definitions will always be part of XPrivacyLua, but there will be community support only. This means that I won't respond to questions about defining custom hooks anymore. See this thread for the reasons.

If you value your privacy, please consider to support this project with a donation or by purchasing pro features.

XPrivacyLua is not a permission manager, but a privacy manager. XPrivacyLua doesn't block things and doesn't revoke permissions, but does replace real data by fake data. This means you can grant Android permissions to an app and still let XPrivacyLua prevent the app from seeing privacy sensitive data. Revoking permissions can result in an app refusing to work and/or to crash. However, replacing real by fake data generally doesn't let an app crash.

Currently restrictions are quite crude because they mostly replace real data by no data. For example restricting the contacts app from getting contacts will result in an empty contact list. In the near future it might be made possible to select the data an app may see, for example just one group of contacts.

About feature requests and bug reports:

The goal is to have a tool that can properly protect the privacy of many in the near future. However, it isn't paid work, so I do whatever I like whenever I like it.

You can request features in this XDA forum. I will read them, but I will not respond to them and they might or might not be implemented. If I know for sure something will not be implemented, I will let you know.

You can report any problem you have here. There will be no issue tracker on GitHub.

For now I have decided to not implement restrictions that are useful to prevent tracking only. There are simply too many data items that can be used for tracking and it would take too much time to develop restrictions for all these data items.

The basic idea is to restrict only things that 'define' you, so which contacts you have, where you are, which apps you use, etc.

Maybe we can widen the definition of things that the core of XPL covers to "What defines you, and what can be used to spie on you"? This would include camera/audio, but not tracking.

XPrivacyLua is pretty feature complete and will be maintained and supported and when there is a need new hook definitions will be added to better protect your privacy. For the rest this FAQ applies:

https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/blob/master/FAQ.md#FAQ4

As said before, development will also depend on Xposed development, which is just minimal unfortunately.

XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.

XPrivacyLua is supported with Xposed only. There is no support for VirtualXposed and TaiChi.
    I have just released beta version 0.5 in the Xposed repository.

The XPrivacyLua framework and user interface seems to be stable enough to call this a beta release.

Besides several bug fixes and improvements two new restrictions were added:
    • Read account name, which mostly holds your e-mail address and will be replace by '[email protected]' when restricted
    • Read clipboard, which will be replaced by the text 'Private' when restricted

Furthermore the ability to restrict Android system (be careful!) and to restrict system apps was added. It is possible to restrict all of these individually (XPrivacy could not do that).

Be sure to take a look at the help page in the app again (use the ?-icon), since there were some useful hints added.

If you appreciate what I am building here, please let me know by means of an XDA thanks and/or a donation, so that I don't get the feeling 'What am I doing this for?'.
    I have just released alpha version 0.12 in the Xposed repository.

This version has been redesigned for Android Oreo compatibility. The user interface and the restrictions work properly for me, but be aware that a lot has been changed on the inside ("it is bigger on the inside", lol), also for earlier Android versions. There is one thing I know of that needs improving and that is that the user interface might be updated too often with a lot of restrictions, which might cause delays and hangs. I will look into this tomorrow.

This change was necessary, but it was a lot of work, so XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.
    I have just released beta version 0.25 in the Xposed repository.

Changelog:

With this release XPrivacyLua restriction's can be compared with XPrivacy's. There are now over 100 restriction definitions!

XDA thanks and donations are appreciated.
    @CHEF-KOCH You have been given enough time to respond here. Now I just think it is pretty cowardly to write critical about XPrivacyLua, but not to tell what can actually be improved, especially because you were invited to do so.

I still like to hear how XPrivacyLua can be improved, but I don't want to hear what is wrong with XPrivacyLua. You'll need to keep the scope of XPrivacyLua in mind (in short: privacy, not security), see the opening post and previous discussions about this for more information.

Also, if you really know better, I like to see an original work from your hands to prove that. Actions speak louder than words.

As it is now, you are discouraging one of the few people in the world who really did something substantial to improve privacy on Android. And don't go talking about VPNs, TOR, etc because your private information, like your contacts, will still leak.

I also think you are pretty ungrateful for what I did so far.

To others: if you see someone reference one of his blogs, please reference this comment in response.

Edit: if you agree with this, please add an XDA thanks to this comment, so it will show up in the right column as a reference for others.