How To Guide [CLOSED] Bypass the region check in Lenovo p12 pro 12.6(CN version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Slimerang

Jun 2, 2011
Is there an explanation for what the system.img is doing that is bypassing region check? What did you figure out?

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
I'm really pleased and grateful the info has been shared but like you @Slimerang I still have a few questions.
Does the bootloader need unlocking to flash and then relocking afterwards?
Go you retain Widevine L1?
Does Netflix still see the tablet as a TB-Q706F?
Does this change the internal region. Will it solve the WiFi 5 frequency issue (Chinese) which is not compatible with our UK frequency bands?

Last edited:

whynot4444

May 27, 2012
Having had a long research after I bricked my lenovo p12 pro 12.6(the CN version) ,I thought I finally figured out what is happening when boot ROW firmware on my tablet and a method to bypass such region check. Here is detail procedure:
First of all ,you DO NOT need to return your bricked tablet back to the seller or manufactures, any of which costs time and patience.
1、Download the super partition image file Mod edit: links removed ,and extract super.img from it using 7z x ... command.
2、You can choose to use my bash shell script (flash_stock_firmware.sh)or your manual instructions: to flash the stock firmware
Bash:
bash 'flash_stock_firmware.sh'  'PATH/TO/THE/STOCK/FIRMWARE/FOLDER'
,it takes about 5 minutes to end.

View attachment 5505629
After it booted to framework ,the init process will play a bootanimation ,in my case it shows :
View attachment 5505637
This is exactly what we should to remove.And now you could reboot the tablet into fastboot mode
Code:
fastboot flash super PATH/TO/EXTRACTED/SUPER/IMAGE
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase metadata
fastboot reboot

In my case ,my tablet successfully launches the SetupWizard for registering device to google:
View attachment 5505641
View attachment 5505649
you have super.img for pad plus ?

Last edited by a moderator:

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
Having had a long research after I bricked my lenovo p12 pro 12.6(the CN version) ,I thought I finally figured out what is happening when boot ROW firmware on my tablet and a method to bypass such region check. Here is detail procedure:
First of all ,you DO NOT need to return your bricked tablet back to the seller or manufactures, any of which costs time and patience.
1、Download the super partition image file Mod edit: Links removed ,and extract super.img from it using 7z x ... command.
2、You can choose to use my bash shell script (flash_stock_firmware.sh)or your manual instructions: to flash the stock firmware
Bash:

View attachment 5505629
After it booted to framework ,the init process will play a bootanimation ,in my case it shows :
View attachment 5505637
This is exactly what we should to remove.And now you could reboot the tablet into fastboot mode
Code:
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase metadata
fastboot reboot

In my case ,my tablet successfully launches the SetupWizard for registering device to google:
View attachment 5505641
View attachment 5505649
Hi couple of questions.
Does the Tablet need to be rooted to perform this?
Does the Tablet retain Widevine L1

Slimerang

Jun 2, 2011
I tried what @ZTE AXON 7 posted first in this thread and everything went as expected EXCEPT that now my wi-fi does not work once it boots up. I can't turn it on. I tried TB-Q706F_S212017_211231_ROW and when the wi-fi was broken I tried TB-Q706F_S211043_211130_ROW. Obviously, that is a deal breaker. The wi-fi toggle will move but then it never becomes active. Bluetooth sees devices out there. I power cycled a couple of times. I booted up into recovery and factory reset. Not an expert by any means on this. Time to go back to Pixel XP.

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
I tried what @ZTE AXON 7 posted first in this thread and everything went as expected EXCEPT that now my wi-fi does not work once it boots up. I can't turn it on. I tried TB-Q706F_S212017_211231_ROW and when the wi-fi was broken I tried TB-Q706F_S211043_211130_ROW. Obviously, that is a deal breaker. The wi-fi toggle will move but then it never becomes active. Bluetooth sees devices out there. I power cycled a couple of times. I booted up into recovery and factory reset. Not an expert by any means on this. Time to go back to Pixel XP.
Well thanks for trying. Fingers crossed he can fix the wifi. As you say massive deal breaker as no internet is a complete and utter no go.

What is odd though is that ZTE AXON said he was able to OTA no issue. OTA is over the air, so he must have had internet?

ZTE AXON 7

Feb 19, 2017
Well thanks for trying. Fingers crossed he can fix the wifi. As you say massive deal breaker as no internet is a complete and utter no go.

What is odd though is that ZTE AXON said he was able to OTA no issue. OTA is over the air, so he must have had internet?
Exactly, the first time I finished building my super image and flash it to my tablet,I also got a broken wifi function.But some changes to kernel module restore my wifi , bluetooth and sound.

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
Exactly, the first time I finished building my super image and flash it to my tablet,I also got a broken wifi function.But some changes to kernel module restore my wifi , bluetooth and sound.
Can you provide any assistance on how you did this? Is this something that can be included in the super image?

I take it you need root access to achieve this?

Thystle

Jan 17, 2017
1、Download the super partition image file Mod Edit: Links removed, and extract super.img from it using 7z x ... command.
Bash:

View attachment 5505629
Hi, sorry, there are a lot of steps I am not clear about.

I just tell what I encountered and please tell me the exact steps I need to do.

1. I have unlocked the bootloader of my CN version P12 Pro.

2. I have flash the "TB-Q706F_S210044_210927_ROW“, the global ROW on this device with QFIL.
QFIL said flashing successfully.

Then I got the same interface that says the firmware are not match the hardware like you.
版本不匹配.PNG

Then what should I do?

I try to follow your instructions,

I reboot the device into fastboot mode (is it correct step?

Then I try to flash the commend lines
(I am using Windows 10 and do not know bash, so I tried to flash manually.

Then I got a lot of errors, I do not know what to do and what step I should take

The "erase" commend seems not work and when comes to the "fastboot flash system system_2.img" or this kind of
flash img commend, the fastboot will come to an error.

fastboot出错.PNG

Please tell me what to do, thank you very much.

Slimerang

Jun 2, 2011
Hi, sorry, there are a lot of steps I am not clear about.

I just tell what I encountered and please tell me the exact steps I need to do.

1. I have unlocked the bootloader of my CN version P12 Pro.

2. I have flash the "TB-Q706F_S210044_210927_ROW“, the global ROW on this device with QFIL.
QFIL said flashing successfully.

Then I got the same interface that says the firmware are not match the hardware like you.
View attachment 5513621

Then what should I do?

I try to follow your instructions,

I reboot the device into fastboot mode (is it correct step?

Then I try to flash the commend lines
(I am using Windows 10 and do not know bash, so I tried to flash manually.

Then I got a lot of errors, I do not know what to do and what step I should take

The "erase" commend seems not work and when comes to the "fastboot flash system system_2.img" or this kind of
flash img commend, the fastboot will come to an error.

View attachment 5513625

Please tell me what to do, thank you very much.

It looks like you are doing the stock firmware flash twice. The QFIL was sufficient to put the 210927 ROW onto the device and get the incompatible message. After that you should only have to flash the super.img:

Code:
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase metadata
fastboot reboot

I'd suggest you go back and do the QFIL flash to get to stock. You probably want to use newer than 210927, just a suggestion. After that completes and gets the incompatible message, then do the commands to just flash the super that @ZTE AXON 7 provided as I copied above.

We still don't know all the details about what this super.img does. Also notice that the wi-fi doesn't work after this procedure and @ZTE AXON 7 wrote that there is more stuff that has to be done but he/she hasn't detailed that information as of yet.

Last edited:

zipper9

Apr 23, 2007
It looks like you are doing the stock firmware flash twice. The QFIL was sufficient to put the 210927 ROW onto the device and get the incompatible message. After that you should only have to flash the super.img:

Code:
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase metadata
fastboot reboot

I'd suggest you go back and do the QFIL flash to get to stock. You probably want to use newer than 210927, just a suggestion. After that completes and gets the incompatible message, then do the commands to just flash the super that @ZTE AXON 7 provided as I copied above.

We still don't know all the details about what this super.img does. Also notice that the wi-fi doesn't work after this procedure and @ZTE AXON 7 wrote that there is more stuff that has to be done but he/she hasn't detailed that information as of yet.
Hi,
I perform all the steps and now its stuck in a loop mode (warning of the boot loader being unlock, followed by the lenvo log -> repeat) any idea?

Slimerang

Jun 2, 2011
Hi,
I perform all the steps and now its stuck in a loop mode (warning of the boot loader being unlock, followed by the lenvo log -> repeat) any idea?
Seeing how Wi-Fi doesn't work once this procedure is completed, I would go to different image, like 12L or Pixel Experience.

I'm trying to remember how I got out of the boot loop. Did you try holding volume down and power for a while until it shuts down? Once there, you hold volume up and plug it into computer.

Kry9

May 26, 2010
Lenovo P11
How to properly boot into fastboot when tablet is in this state?

Seems like it always first shows warning that bootloader is unlocked, then system loads and then this incompatibile system pops up. doesnt matter if i hold volume up or down on poweron. i can even hold it for very long until it shuts down by itself, no effect

Actually i managed to do it by holding all buttons for long time but then booting to fastbootd won't work and incompatibile system won't show up anymore, even after power off/on. To restore it i have to flash with qfil again.

fastboot reboot fastboot
Rebooting into fastboot OKAY [ 0.003s]
< waiting for any device >
fastboot: error: Failed to boot into userspace fastboot; one or more components might be unbootable.

Okay, actually after i powered it off and waited a little, volume and power worked.
But i have same problem as above. Tablet is now stuck in fastboot, and fastbootd doesnt work.
so i tried to flash in fastboot

Code:
C:\Users\Krystian\Downloads\flash\rec>fastboot flash super super.img
Invalid sparse file format at header magic
Sending sparse 'super' 1/9 (786428 KB)             OKAY [ 18.111s]
Writing 'super'                                    OKAY [  0.000s]
Sending sparse 'super' 2/9 (786428 KB)             OKAY [ 18.421s]
Sending sparse 'super' 3/9 (785349 KB)             OKAY [ 18.301s]
Writing 'super'                                    OKAY [  0.001s]
Sending sparse 'super' 4/9 (748805 KB)             OKAY [ 17.591s]
Sending sparse 'super' 5/9 (786364 KB)             OKAY [ 18.410s]
Sending sparse 'super' 6/9 (786348 KB)             OKAY [ 18.451s]
Sending sparse 'super' 7/9 (771573 KB)             OKAY [ 18.201s]
Sending sparse 'super' 8/9 (786277 KB)             OKAY [ 18.542s]
Writing 'super'                                    OKAY [  0.001s]
Sending sparse 'super' 9/9 (102082 KB)             OKAY [107.082s]
Finished. Total time: 256.898s

C:\Users\Krystian\Downloads\flash\rec>fastboot erase userdata
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this f2fs partition?
Erasing 'userdata'                                 OKAY [  0.093s]
Finished. Total time: 0.101s

C:\Users\Krystian\Downloads\flash\rec>fastboot erase metadata
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this ext4 partition?
Erasing 'metadata'                                 OKAY [  0.110s]
Finished. Total time: 0.120s

C:\Users\Krystian\Downloads\flash\rec>fastboot reboot
Rebooting                                          OKAY [  0.001s]

But it doesn't work, after reboot there's still fastboot only.

Last edited:

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
Lenovo have done a fastic job of screwing customers who dared to try and flash a global rom to a chinese tablet. I had to send mine back to china.

Your options are GSI ROM or Return for repair.

zipper9

Apr 23, 2007
Lenovo have done a fastic job of screwing customers who dared to try and flash a global rom to a chinese tablet. I had to send mine back to china.

Your options are GSI ROM or Return for repair.
actually, i was able to fix mine (chinease) by trying couple of times to flash the rom and then, finally, using the lenovo rescue tool (which didnt work before)
{Mod edit: Link removed}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1、Download the super partition image file Mod edit: Links removed ,and extract super.img from it using 7z x ... command.
    Bash:

Screenshot from 2022-01-11 19-48-19.png

1.png

Code:
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase metadata
    fastboot reboot

1.png

3.jpg
    Moderator Announcement

Thread has been cleaned from links to easy-firmware.com and 66rom.com! Sites that require a registration or account for a download are not accepted as filehosts on XDA; links to paid software are not accepted, too. Please refer to rules no. 11 and no. 13 of the XDA Forum Rules. Even if you personally don't benefit, please refrain from sharing such links or references in future. Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Senior Moderator

CC: @DaReDeViL
    Hello, people!
    I think we can go ZUI <-> ROW through service firmware TB-Q706F_Rescue.zip. The service firmware doesn't look at the region code. Moreover, it should make NV_item (where this region code is written) inactive. The next firmware after it will write the code it needs.
    I had the experience of installing service firmware on TB-J706F and it was exactly like that.
    The service firmware may be here: {Mod edit: Link removed} I ask users from China to find it out and download it, if possible.
    And here you can download it for money: {Mod edit: Link removed} 17 USD
    If we'll have the firmware, I can try this method and write instructions. However, my tablet hasn't arrived from China yet.
    I would be happy to hear your suggestions.
    @ZTE AXON 7 : Please check your PM inbox
    Actually i just "fixed" it.
    After flashing thing from this post it wouldnt boot to system, so i flashed rescue tool again so at least fastboot works and then flashed android 12 preview and it booted up.
    i just modified the script a little

fastboot reboot fastboot && ^ fastboot flash boot boot.img && ^ fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img && ^ fastboot erase vendor && ^ fastboot flash vendor vendor.img && ^ fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img && ^ fastboot erase system && ^ fastboot delete-logical-partition product_a && ^ fastboot delete-logical-partition product_b && ^ fastboot flash system TB-Q706F-DPP_USR_S100102_2201242000_V4.5_DEV_system.img && ^ fastboot -w reboot

But now i'm back at same point as yesterday. First i flashed this preview, i realized 120hz doesn't work there and i really need it so i tried to flash pixel experience GSI and it went into bootloop...

Ok i figured it out, Information is already here on forum but i'm compiling it for noobs like me :)
    So once you have this regional lock:
    - install android 12 preview from lenovo https://dev.lenovo.com/
    - install official android 12 GSI(i used ARM64+GMS) https://developer.android.com/about/versions/12/gsi-release-notes#downloads
    - and then another GSI like pixel experience(i used PixelExperience_arm64-ab-12) https://github.com/ponces/treble_build_pe/releases

Instructions to install GSIs https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...xin-pad-pro-12-6.4369849/page-2#post-86240621

To turn tablet off when it is in bootloop: unplug usb( but not that necessary i think) hold all 3 buttons and release once it turns off.
    Then wait a moment and hold volume up(the one closer to the corner) and power buttons for few seconds until screen with "fastboot mode" appears. Then you can plug in usb and issue "fastboot reboot fastboot". Once tablet shows "fastbootd" its good for flashing.

Pixel experience has 120hz and there is switch in settings to enable root access, cpu and gpu performance in benchmarks is normal so i see no problems, at least for gaming ;) Just UI is worse than original lenovo

Also for me system won't boot if boot.img is patched with magisk so don't do it maybe heh. Maybe it's just me doing something wrong? Last time i rooted my new phone over a year ago :p