[CLOSED][DEPRECATED] SlimLP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

darksaber79

Mar 8, 2016
Sydney

Thank you for providing that. I have had a read through. Can you telling me if there is any problems with the below plan?

1) Factory reset the tab so it is relatively clean
2) use odin to install TWRP (I don't need to root as I am using odin)
3) use TWRP to backup the factory ICS (data, efs, system)
* will TWRP backup also backup the ICS bootloader? *
4) use odin to install the JB bootloader
* at this point I could contine to run stock ICS but with the JB bootloader?? *
5) I can now install a custom JB, KK, LP or M ROM?

Last edited:

billysam

Oct 3, 2014
Thank you for providing that. I have had a read through. Can you telling me if there is any problems with the below plan?

good, as long as you have the data backed up.

good and most probably the safest choice you would make.

the instinct process we all would do, so that we have a backup to restore in case anything goes wrong.

yes and no. twrp will backup system data, efs, and boot. the rest of the partition will be the same.

yes, you are right here as well.

I don't remember exactly, it might or might not cause some issues. I am not sure. some reported they had graphical issues.

exactly. you can, after following the OP instructions of course.

remember it is not advisable to downgrade the bootloader once you have upgraded it to JB, you shouldn't go back to ICS. still if you would like to go stock in future you can download the stock JB firmware from sammobile and flash it via odin.
there is also one issue that keeps me going back to stock ever again. the emmc trim bug that could harm your device.

Last edited:

darksaber79

Mar 8, 2016
Sydney
good, as long as you have the data backed up.

good and most probably the safest choice you would make.

the instinct process we all would do, so that we have a backup to restore in case anything goes wrong.

yes and no. twrp will backup system data, efs, and boot. the rest of the partition will be the same.

yes, you are right here as well.

I don't remember exactly, it might or might not cause some issues. I am not sure.

exactly. you can, after following the OP instructions of course.

remember it is not advisable to downgrade the bootloader once you have upgraded it to JB, you shouldn't go back to ICS. still if you would like to go stock in future you can download the stock JB firmware from sammobile and flash it via odin.
there is also one issue that keeps me going back to stock ever again. the emmc trim bug that could harm your device.

I worry about getting TWRP and backup done first.
Have already backed up what I need on the tab, so all ready to do a factory reset.
But from what you are saying, backup will be useless if a update to JB bootloader.

I have a N7100 Note 2 as well bought the same time as my P5110 Tab2.

Both of these devices, I now believe had the emmc bug.
Both were replaced under warranty.

My 'new' Note2 is all good, and I rooted it first and ran a emmc app to check and it was ok.
Obviously, haven't do then same with the tab2. Should I? Which would mean I will have to root first.

billysam

Oct 3, 2014
I worry about getting TWRP and backup done first.
Have already backed up what I need on the tab, so all ready to do a factory reset.
But from what you are saying, backup will be useless if a update to JB bootloader.

I have a N7100 Note 2 as well bought the same time as my P5110 Tab2.

Both of these devices, I now believe had the emmc bug.
Both were replaced under warranty.

My 'new' Note2 is all good, and I rooted it first and ran a emmc app to check and it was ok.
Obviously, haven't do then same with the tab2. Should I? Which would mean I will have to root first.

yes, from what I had said, the backup will be useless.

there had been numerous cases where users from the whole tab 2 community had faced the emmc bug, most of them were on stock and some on custom roms too.
you will find in the Q/A threads. it's upto you to decide if you want to be sure and check by rooting it first. but the problem is out there.
Most other Samsung tablets and handsets released in 2011
quoted from
https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/EMMC_Bugs

Last edited:

darksaber79

Mar 8, 2016
Sydney
yes, from what I had said, the backup will be useless.

there had been numerous cases where users from the whole tab 2 community had faced the emmc bug, most of them were on stock and some on custom roms too.
you will find in the Q/A threads. it's upto you to decide if you want to be sure and check by rooting it first. but the problem is out there.
Most other Samsung tablets and handsets released in 2011
quoted from
https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/EMMC_Bugs

Hmmmm.... really not sure now. It is my son's tablet, and if I kill it I will be in big trouble! :(

Does the emmc bug just surface or does it occur because of flashing your device?

Given the backup would be useless, would be better to go a different path such as:
- get official JB or KK ROM from sammobile
- flash this with odin
- then will be running on stock, and the bootloader updated too
- then if I choose can go custom and the backup that I then take will be useable

billysam

Oct 3, 2014
Hmmmm.... really not sure now. It is my son's tablet, and if I kill it I will be in big trouble! :(

Given the backup would be useless, would be better to go a different path such as:
- get official JB or KK ROM from sammobile
- flash this with odin
- then will be running on stock, and the bootloader updated too
- then if I choose can go custom and the backup that I then take will be useable

last update from samsung was JB that you can get from sammobile. official stopped after that for tab 2. yes, this step is better and more convenient.

I have been trying to figure out the pattern for the emmc bug, but its really so vast, it can't really be pinpointed exactly how, when or who will be affected by it.

an unsuspecting user who never rooted or knew anything about any custom ways, got struck by the bug, while some on stock are still running strong.

an experienced user who had considerable experience on flashing Roms, got hit with the bug too after a considerable run while many others like me on custom Rom from over last 2-3 years, are running the updated tab happily and never returned to stock. never got problems related to emmc.

devs here have done pretty much great job with the unofficial Roms.
some even got struck while they were upgrading the firmware using kies. odin is always preferred.

So
Does the emmc bug just surface or does it occur because of flashing your device?

Nobody can tell, but it's definitely NOT because of flashing the device correctly and staying updated is better than staying on stock since the trim bug has been solved with the CM builds since kitkat.

darksaber79

Mar 8, 2016
Sydney
last update from samsung was JB that you can get from sammobile. official stopped after that for tab 2. yes, this step is better and more convenient.
This sounds like a plan then. I really want to get the tab off ICS as I here it is very bloated on its own, let alone all the samsung apps on it!
BUT... I went to samsmobile, put in my tab details, and it only showed 4.1.2 for it. Came up with 2, one from Taiwan and the other region I can't remember.
What do I do now?

staying updated is better than staying on stock since the trim bug has been solved with the CM builds since kitkat.
Yes, I remember this when I was researched for my Note2, that the issue was fixed in Android in the later builds. Another reason I should continue to look at updating the tab.
The main reason I want to upgrade the Tab is get rid of the samsung bloatware on it. Same reason for the Note2 which is now running awesome on RR Marshmellow.
Looks like the tab will be a 2 pronged attack, get an official update first to 4.2.2 which will update bootloader, then update to custom ROM.

Again, really appreciate your help and advise!

billysam

Oct 3, 2014
This sounds like a plan then. I really want to get the tab off ICS as I here it is very bloated on its own, let alone all the samsung apps on it!
BUT... I went to samsmobile, put in my tab details, and it only showed 4.1.2 for it. Came up with 2, one from Taiwan and the other region I can't remember.
What do I do now?

Yes, I remember this when I was researched for my Note2, that the issue was fixed in Android in the later builds. Another reason I should continue to look at updating the tab.
The main reason I want to upgrade the Tab is get rid of the samsung bloatware on it. Same reason for the Note2 which is now running awesome on RR Marshmellow.
Looks like the tab will be a 2 pronged attack, get an official update first to 4.2.2 which will update bootloader, then update to custom ROM.

Again, really appreciate your help and advise!

when Samsung released JB they did for half of the region and left out others. there are many including me who had to flash other region firmwares. although It hardly had any side effects on my tab, I had been flashing other regions firmware most of the time except Chinese firmwares on all of my devices. you shouldn't worry more about it. you are more than prepared. next time use Q/A thread.
have a good day.

Last edited:

darksaber79

Mar 8, 2016
Sydney
when Samsung released JB they did for half of the region and left out others. there are many including me who had to flash other region firmwares. although It hardly had any side effects on my tab, I had been flashing other regions firmware most of the time except Chinese firmwares on all of my devices. you shouldn't worry more about it. you are more than prepared. next time use Q/A thread.
have a good day.

Thanks billysam. Can you point out the correct Q/A thread.

My tab has a build number or JZO54.P5110ZSDMH1
I have downloaded the 4.2.2 from samsmobile for Australia.
The file name is P5110XXDMH2_P5110XSADMH1_XSA.zip

I am guessing from you say that this is ok to write with odin.
Does it matter what version of odin?

Cheers

billysam

Oct 3, 2014
Seems like we go OT here to much... Maybe you can continue discussion Odin and Stock Rom in General section?

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

Pardon my over indulgence and absolutely bad habit of trying to get into these situations where I find myself wandering everywhere in the forum looking for whatsoever distress calls, I end up ruining the important dev section, which should be purely and entirely left for specific ROM related stuffs.
Please Except my apologies, and my daily limit of thanks. its all yours today. :good::silly:

although I do have a Complaint for you.

You have made all the Roms so near perfect, I can hardly point out any issues anymore.:D

Reactions: darksaber79

darksaber79

Mar 8, 2016
Sydney
Seems like we go OT here to much... Maybe you can continue discussion Odin and Stock Rom in General section?

Pardon my over indulgence and absolutely bad habit of trying to get into these situations where I find myself wandering everywhere in the forum looking for whatsoever distress calls, I end up ruining the important dev section, which should be purely and entirely left for specific ROM related stuffs.
Please Except my apologies, and my daily limit of thanks. its all yours today. :good::silly:

although I do have a Complaint for you.

You have made all the Roms so near perfect, I can hardly point out any issues anymore.:D

Sorry Guys, I'll move on..... thanks billy for all your help. Appreciate all the work the devs do!

Reactions: billysam

darksaber79

Mar 8, 2016
Sydney
Hi guys, I got this installed on my tab2. For the most part appears to be working good.

I have tried to customize the buttons, but everytime I do it says settings have crashed.

Can anyone help with this?

Am trying to find the task manager or ram manger to see how much free ram there is.
I heard that long press menu button. Will show task manager but have to change the button config.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dcfied

Nov 28, 2012
Quezon City
just got this p5100 from my brother. it's on this rom and philz recovery, can i flash the latest twrp from philz? i also want to politely ask for your opinionon the fastest rom for this device since i will be giving this to my daughter, and she will ask me everytime why the device is a bit laggy. thanks.

darksaber79

Mar 8, 2016
Sydney
just got this p5100 from my brother. it's on this rom and philz recovery, can i flash the latest twrp from philz? i also want to politely ask for your opinionon the fastest rom for this device since i will be giving this to my daughter, and she will ask me everytime why the device is a bit laggy. thanks.
Regarding recovery, you should download twrp from twrp website.

1. Download twrp for p5100
2. Place tab in download mode
3. Use Odin to flash twrp using the file you downloaded

I have slimlp on my son's p5100.
To me runs the same as samsung stock ICS but it appears to run everything my son throws as it. May appear laggy as maybe lollipop is a bit much for this aging device. Wont know until I try other Roms.

I plan on trying slimkk. It has been noted to have heaps of free ram when installed and running. I can't check this on slimkk as I cant get into the task manager.

If you try other Roms too, post your results.... id be interested to know.

darksaber79

Mar 8, 2016
Sydney
Here is some of my results so far.
I believe the main thing to be concerned about is the amount of free memory. This device has 800MB total.

On samsung stock 4.2.2 = 122MB free
SlimLP 5.1.1 = about 367MB free or 45 to 48% free
SlimKK 4.4.4 = approx. The same as SlimLP.

Interestingly, anti benchmark was very different.

SlimKK = 11,344 (shower 3D was not working or compatible though)
SlimLP = 16,817

I have put SlimLP on, although I may try some other ROMs later.

ballmead

This ROM is amazing, it's like I have a new device. Samsung really choked the Tab2 with Touchwiz.
Thanks Team Slim and Android-Andi for bringing it to us.

Sent from my HTC_X9u using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

better update the stock Rom to JB first, or update the jb bootloader.
this is a important step that many new users coming from stock don't know about.
I feel the devs should add this to their instructions as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong but 4.1.2 is Jellybean. It started at 4.1.
So he already has the correct bootloader.

Reactions: Android-Andi

billysam

Oct 3, 2014
This ROM is amazing, it's like I have a new device. Samsung really choked the Tab2 with Touchwiz.
Thanks Team Slim and Android-Andi for bringing it to us.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Correct me if I'm wrong but 4.1.2 is Jellybean. It started at 4.1.
So he already has the correct bootloader.

It might be for some device, but p5100 came out with 4.0 ice cream sandwich. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a thread for updating to the jb bootloader for all the tab 2 devices. :)

Reactions: ballmead

mentat

Feb 9, 2007
Global menu in unified build of SlimLP

Greetings Andi,

I just wanted to thank you for building (re-building) a "unified" version of the last SlimLP for our GT2 devices.

I have been using the P5110 (device specific) version of SlimLP on my P5113 (when not testing new "espressowifi" ROM builds) and look forward to leaving my "customized" version of TWRP 2.8.7.2 behind (and just keeping TWRP 3.0.2-2 in installed for all my flashing needs).

The Slim-espressowifi-5.1.1.beta.0.15-UNOFFICIAL-20160703-1802 build looks really good and performs well (even at default CPU/GPU settings).

I did notice one significant difference (as compared to the Slim-p5110-5.1.1.beta.0.15-UNOFFICIAL-20160220-1237 build) and that is the absence of the "Global menu" in Settings, Navigation (see attachments).

I thought that I should mention this here, just in case the omission was accidental (and not by design).

So thanks again for SlimLP (and all the many other ROMs that you are working on).

Thanks.

Attachments

• Slim-espressowifi-5.1.1.beta.0.15-UNOFFICIAL-20160703-1802.png
    Slim-espressowifi-5.1.1.beta.0.15-UNOFFICIAL-20160703-1802.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Slim-p5110-5.1.1.beta.0.15-UNOFFICIAL-20160220-1237.png
    Slim-p5110-5.1.1.beta.0.15-UNOFFICIAL-20160220-1237.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: Android-Andi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlimLP Android 5.x

A new "unified" Galaxy Tab 2 section was added to our forum because we don't make a difference between p31xx an p51xx specific roms.

Please use the Thread here for SlimLP related questions and feedback
    How do I donate US$10? It is the right way to say Thank You for your excellent work.

Hey and thanks!
    I don't have a donation address, but If you like to donate for my work, please directly donate to SlimRoms to keep this rom alive. SlimRoms needs some money each month to pay the webserver, jenkins server and buildsever for team member which isn't cheap.

Another way to make me happy would be to donate to an organization who cares about kids having cancer.
    I had blood cancer in 2001 (when i was 12/13 years old) and i am happy begin still alive :)

Send from OnePlus One using Tapatalk
    SlimRoms side 5.1 stopped, but not on my side :) new build next week ;)

Hey together!

New updates are available!

Thanks to @RobbieL811 for giving me access to his buildserver and hosting the new builds!
    Robbie and i worked on SlimCenter last night to use it for unofficial builds too!
    After updating on latest build you'll be able to use the OTA function from SlimCenter to check for updates!

Cristian Giordano did a great drawable to gett access to SlimCenter from Settings again (not merged official atm).
    I also added more QuickSettings (Thanks to Robbie again, not merged official atm).

New Download-Links:
    P5100
    http://209.95.39.164/SlimLP/p5100

P5110
    http://209.95.39.164/SlimLP/p5110
    New builds uploaded.

i think the lock screen bug got adressed already.

One thing i noticed:
    Screenshot was broken on different L roms for me (AOSP and Slim)
    Now i wiped cache,dalvic,system,data and internal storage from advanced wipe, after that i used the "wipe data" option (you need to confirm by typing "yes").
    Now screenshot seems to work again while it wasn't before (at least on slim).
    I am not sure what's the reason for this, if something went wrong on recovery side or if i only had been overworked - just in case someone faced same issue.

All kernel changes have been applied to latest build, no need to grap it from previous post.

I noticed some selinux denials i'll fixup later today.

Have a nice day!