[CLOSED][DEV] Magisk Canary Channel - Bleeding Edge Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Xiaomi Mi 11
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Did you patch after update magisk (not just the manager)?
I updated magisk manager 278 and then updated to latest magisk 72f6770d. Then I tried to patch.
I am guessing updating the magisk (not manager) caused my issue.
Update Manager, then patch Magisk by using that new Manager 278.
Again, bug was and now fix is in the Manager - guys, please distinguish MM (Magisk Manager) from Magisk, some say Magisk but obviously talking about MM (Manager).
Also, what would be the point of patching if you first already updated Magisk directly

EDIT: See screenshot, FIRST (to update Manager) and then, SECOND (to update Magisk)

Probably a suggestion to avoid confusion, to change the main screen in Manager, to show Manager on top and Magisk below (opposite from now)

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_195118.jpg
    IMG_20200315_195118.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
Update Manager, then patch Magisk by using that new Manager 278.
Again, bug was and now fix is in the Manager - guys, please distinguish MM (Magisk Manager) from Magisk, some say Magisk but obviously talking about MM (Manager).
Also, what would be the point of patching if you first already updated Magisk directly

EDIT: See screenshot, FIRST (to update Manager) and then, SECOND (to update Magisk)

Probably a suggestion to avoid confusion, to change the main screen in Manager, to show Manager on top and Magisk below (opposite from now)
I clearly made distinguish between magisk and magisk manager in my previous post. Magisk means magisk and magisk manager is magisk manager. There is no confusion from me. If you read as it is, definitely you won't be confused.
The point of patching: I want to patch a new boot image from new security updates because I want to update but didn't receive OTA notification. I will manually flash ota update and flash the patched boot image to regain root.
That's the point that there is a "Select and patch a file" option in magisk beside "Direct Install".

So you only updated magisk manager but not magisk. That is probably the issue.
You: update magisk manager, then patch and no problem.
Me: update magisk manager, update magisk in magisk manager, then patch. It fails and partially break magisk (removing modules).

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Xiaomi Mi 11
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
I clearly made distinguish between magisk and magisk manager in my previous post. Magisk means magisk and magisk manager is magisk manager. There is no confusion from me. If you read as it is, definitely you won't be confused.
The point of patching: I want to patch a new boot image from new security updates because I want to update but didn't receive OTA notification. I will manually flash ota update and flash the patched boot image to regain root.
That's the point that there is a "Select and patch a file" option in magisk beside "Direct Install".

So you only updated magisk manager but not magisk. That is probably the issue.
You: update magisk manager, then patch and no problem.
Me: update magisk manager, update magisk in magisk manager, then patch. It fails and partially break magisk (removing modules).
Not
- Of course that I update both Manager and then Magisk
- Of course that for patching you must use "select and patch" method

So responding third (and lreally ast) time:

1) Update first Magisk Manager (to 278).
It will download, install and restart into the new Manager 278.

2) Then update Magisk by "select and patch" to 20307.
Of course, you must reboot then to Fastboot or TWRP and to flash "patched_boot.img"

If something still not clear, please consult the Magisk Installation guide :)

Last edited:

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Actually just tried on mine also.
Pixel 3a XL

Same problem patching a boot image, just hangs..
Now to complicate matters, I have been running a hidden (renamed) Manager and I can patch the same boot image if I point Manager to a custom channel.

Hang on a moment..
Intermission
@zgfg are you patching with canary or canary (debug) ?
@googlephoneFKLenAsh I'm guessing you are using the debug channel.

Cheers all. :cowboy:

Reactions: starsfighter

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Xiaomi Mi 11
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Pixel 3a XL

Now to complicate matters, I have been running a hidden (renamed) Manager and I can patch the same boot image if I point Manager to a custom channel.

Hang on a moment..
Intermission

Im using Canary (release), not Canary debug channel

Reactions: ipdev
Pixel 3a XL

Hang on a moment..
Intermission

Canary channel. Not debug.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Not
- Of course that I update both Manager and then Magisk
- Of course that for patching you must use "select and patch" method

So responding third (and lreally ast) time:

1) Update first Magisk Manager (to 278).
It will download, install and restart into the new Manager 278.

2) Then update Magisk by "select and patch" to 20307.
Of course, you must reboot then to Fastboot or TWRP and to flash "patched_boot.img"

If something still not clear, please consult the Magisk Installation guide :)
So I am correct. You only updated magisk manager before patch. You then flashed patched boot image to update magisk.

People like me who updated magisk manager, and then updated magisk using "direct install" would have problems patching using "select and patch a file" which will just hang.

The workaround is to patch boot image using magisk manager 278 before updating magisk.

I am guessing if you try to patch a boot image again now it would hang too since you already manually updated magisk by flashing patched boot image now.

No, someone else who is not clear with what's happening needs to read and read the guide, not me.
When there is a bug, reading the guide million times won't do you any favor nor it would fix the bug magically. Also I think it's a little rude to ask someone to read the guide when the user clearly doesn't do anything incorrectly and there is just a bug in magisk.

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Xiaomi Mi 11
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Canary channel. Not debug.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

So I am correct. You only updated magisk manager before patch. You then flashed patched boot image to update magisk.

People like me who updated magisk manager, and then updated magisk using "direct install" would have problems patching using "select and patch a file" which will just hang.

I am guessing if you try to patch a boot image again now it would hang too since you manually updated magical by flashing patched boot image.

No, someone else who is not clear with what's happening needs to read and read the guide, not me.
Once I update Magisk by patching (select and patch, then flash it), then Magisk is already updated (upon flashing, reboot to system and check the version of Magisk)

Hence I don't 'update' once again, this time by Direct method - what would be the point of doing it?!
So i don't know would it hang then or not - Magisk was already updated, I save the patched image and I can always go back and forth through my collection of saved the patched images (of course, while staying on the same ROM)

Hence I never update Magisk by Direct method. I learnt that long ago by hard lesson: as a rookie, I tried to update a pre-rooted ROM by Direct method and got a bootloop and didn't have the original boot image, neither the whole ROM at my hand to easily fix it

Last edited:
Pixel 3a XL

Hang on a moment..
Intermission

I switched to stable channel in magisk manager settings (just change update channel to stable, not reinstall magisk) and it patched the same boot image without any problem. So the bug is related to 72f6770d (20307) magisk with canary channel.
Thanks.

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Xiaomi Mi 11
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
I switched to stable channel and it patched the same boot image without any problem. So the bug is related to 72f6770d (20307) magisk with canary channel.
Thanks.
Maybe, but in that case bug depends on device/firmware

I used Magisk Manager Canary 278 and without any problem updated my Magisk to 20307 by select and patch method

But for that it is crucial that you first update Manager (Canary) to 278 because Manager 277 did have exactly the bug you were describing (crash on patching the image) - scroll back in this thread and find reports when 277 was released

276 did not have that bug and 278 by Chsngelog (see attached screenshot) is fixed again

But maybe the fix in 278 is not good on your device and Manager 278 is still crashing when patching your image

And of course that there is no such bug in the stable. Stable is already out long ago and nobody reported such a bug for stable. And if there was such a serious bug in STABLE, stable would have already been stabilized by an updated fix

Attachments

• 463502376_571910.jpg
    463502376_571910.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,248
Maybe, but in that case bug depends on device/firmware

I used Magisk Manager Canary 278 and without any problem updated my Magisk to 20307 by select and patch method

But for that it is crucial that you first update Manager (Canary) to 278 because Manager 277 did have exactly the bug you were describing (crash on patching the image) - scroll back in this thread and find reports when 277 was released

276 did not have that bug and 278 by Chsngelog (see attached screenshot) is fixed again

But maybe the fix in 278 is not good on your device and Manager 278 is still crashing when patching your image

And of course that there is no such bug in the stable. Stable is already out long ago and nobody reported such a bug for stable. And if there was such a serious bug in STABLE, stable would have already been stabilized by an updated fix
You are not reading.
278 has different bug from 277.
In 277, magisk manager will just exit when patching for all devices.
In 278, magisk manager will hang at flashing when patching if magisk is also updated to the latest (at least for some devices like pixel 3a) and using canary channel. The bug can be worked around by change to stable channel in settings.
No one here updated magisk before updating magisk manager. So I don't know your point of emphasizing that million times.

Last edited:
Reactions: ngelee

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Thank you @zgfg and @googlephoneFKLenAsh for your response to my question.
It helps understand a little bit about the differences between users, setup/options and devices.

I don't think the version of Magisk vs. Manager matters.
I've run newer magisk versions with older managers versions before.
Actually I think I did the other week to get around the patching issue..

Regardless, for me (on Pixel 3a XL) something is borked when selecting the Beta or Canary (debug) update channel list.

Setting it as a custom channel, both patch a boot image just fine.
Canary Debug - Link
Magisk Beta - Link

Yes, I normally update Magisk via direct install on my 3a XL since it's currently my daily use.

I use the patch boot image option to patch a stock boot.img that way I have a magisk patched version on hand as part of my backups files.
If something goes wrong or I need to clean flash/install or for testing purposes.
No TWRP for Android 10, so using a magisk patched boot.img is the only way to initially root it.

Still trying to narrow things down. I did try on an older device (arm) that has been brought up to Android 10 (2SI) and I was able to patch a boot image regardless with update channel I selected.

Not sure if it's a layover from the original magisk(version) installed..
TWRP flash vs. using a patched boot.img..
Symptom of something else..

PS.
Nothing jumps out in logcat when magisk freezes patching a boot image.
Edit:
@googlephoneFKLenAsh
I just hit the same bug(s) you found.
I accidentally installed magisk (direct install) when I was trying to patch a boot.img file, now I get the same errors you did.
So apparently you can not reinstall magisk 20307 over magisk on 20307 ??)

Last edited:

bggold

Sep 13, 2013
Thank you @zgfg and @googlephoneFKLenAsh for your response to my question.
It helps understand a little bit about the differences between users, setup/options and devices.

I don't think the version of Magisk vs. Manager matters.
I've run newer magisk versions with older managers versions before.
Actually I think I did the other week to get around the patching issue..

Regardless, for me (on Pixel 3a XL) something is borked when selecting the Beta or Canary (debug) update channel list.

Setting it as a custom channel, both patch a boot image just fine.
Canary Debug - Link
Magisk Beta - Link

Yes, I normally update Magisk via direct install on my 3a XL since it's currently my daily use.

I use the patch boot image option to patch a stock boot.img that way I have a magisk patched version on hand as part of my backups files.
If something goes wrong or I need to clean flash/install or for testing purposes.
No TWRP for Android 10, so using a magisk patched boot.img is the only way to initially root it.

Still trying to narrow things down. I did try on an older device (arm) that has been brought up to Android 10 (2SI) and I was able to patch a boot image regardless with update channel I selected.

Not sure if it's a layover from the original magisk(version) installed..
TWRP flash vs. using a patched boot.img..
Symptom of something else..

PS.
Nothing jumps out in logcat when magisk freezes patching a boot image.
Edit:
@googlephoneFKLenAsh
I just hit the same bug(s) you found.
I accidentally installed magisk (direct install) when I was trying to patch a boot.img file, now I get the same errors you did.
So apparently you can not reinstall magisk 20307 over magisk on 20307 ??)
I had the same issue patching the boot.img after updating both today on the canary channel. I foreclosed magisk manager and then was able to patch it.

Pixel 4 xl march update.

I patched it to have a patched version on hand too.

Hope this helps. You would think a reboot would have cleared it all but maybe not.

mrmrkmail

Jan 21, 2018
thank you for the very well designed new magisk gui.
in my opinion there should also be redesigned the splash screen, to fit the overall design. i just send you some money, to honor your effort to bring us all a solution to root our phones. so long and keep up the good work :eek:

sylikc

Mar 20, 2012
City of Angels
I'm not really sure if you all are having the same issue I have... but I'm on the latest Canary build.

Magisk Manager version: 72f6770d (278)
Magisk version (it downloaded the latest by itself): 72f6770d (2307)

I'm on the Pixel 4, and I patch it via the boot.img file from the March 2020 update. I flashed using the procedures detailed in https://www.xda-developers.com/flash-monthly-security-update-google-pixel/ ... I've done this procedure for every update since the phone's release and it's worked flawlessly.

However, for the March 2020 update, after patching the boot.img, I flash it onto the boot, and then boot up the phone... I get a BLACK SCREEN. The phone is still on, and when I hold down the power button, I get a WHITE MENU which just says "Power Off" "Reboot" "Lockdown". The phone otherwise refuses to boot all the way up.

I can flash the original boot.img to restore my phone to a working state (without wiping), but that's about it.

Any ideas on what that BLACK SCREEN is? Or how I can go debugging it? Where and how do I post logs, etc?

EDIT: I tried doing the select and patch image using 20.3, and I also got the BLACK SCREEN.

I had also tried unsuccessfully yesterday to get into the recovery mode using the core only Magisk method https://www.**********.com/fix-pixel-4-xl-bootloop-magisk-module/ , and I got into some couldn't boot error in the console:

fastboot boot image-newpixel4.img
Sending 'boot.img' (31940 KB) OK [ 0.823s]
Booting FAILED (remote: 'Error verifying the received boot.img: Invalid Parameter')
fastboot: error: Command failed

I'm assuming that means it's an older boot.img ... I'm going to try the Tulsadiver direct editing method...

EDIT2: I did the Tulsadiver method and was able to get into coreonly mode
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-4/how-to/magisk-modules-disabler-booting-magisk-t3991739

I'm going to see what offending module is causing this problem. ...

Last edited:

mkdante381

Jul 29, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S9+
I have error1 on Magisk 20307 Canary when I will flash any magisk module in TWRP, via Magisk Manager is ok. All is good on 20306 version. My friend said help only flash again latest version. Pls fix this.

JudgeDread11

Aug 17, 2014
Ao Nang, Krabi
I have error1 on Magisk 20307 Canary when I will flash any magisk module in TWRP, via Magisk Manager is ok. All is good on 20306 version. My friend said help only flash again latest version. Pls fix this.
That sounds more like a twrp issue. Other flashable zips, not magisk modules, work ok?
Device and twrp version would be essential information for any more educated guess. For a solution logs would be helpful.
Also check the thread of your twrp.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Xiaomi Mi 11
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Strange experience with updating Viper4AndroidFX

I had V4AFX v2.7.1.0 and Magisk Manager (278) was showing the available update to v2.7.1.6

Instead of Install I chose Download.
Manager was still showing the installed V4AFX v2.7.1.0 but it stopped showing an available update.
Even upon restarting Manager, it was no more showing the update for V4A

Finally I installed V4AFX v2.7.1.6 but from Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Canary Magisk Manager: Link
    Canary Magisk Manager (Debug): Link
    Latest Release Notes: Link
    All Canary Files: Link

The Canary Builds are similar to Google Chrome's: bleeding edge of the source.
    Be warned: Canary can be unstable.
    The binaries from debug channel are built with debug flag ON

Install Canary Magisk Manager and go to Settings > Update Channel and switch to either Canary or Canary (Debug)
    If you need a clean start, download the Canary Uninstaller to uninstall any version of Magisk

How to Report:
    • Only report bugs/logs using the debug channel!!
    • Magisk installation failure:
      In TWRP: Upload the recovery logs (pull the file /tmp/recovery.log, or select "Advanced > Copy Log" and upload)
      In MagiskManager: Choose to save logs after installation and upload
    • Magisk bugs:
      Magisk logs are placed in /cache/magisk.log (For A/B devices, they are actually in /data/cache/magisk.log)
      If you cannot boot or stuck in bootloops, grab logcats (and kernel dmesg if possible) on boot
    • Magisk Manager bugs:
      Grab logcat (NOT magisk logs) when the crash occurs, upload the logs and report how to reproduce
    • SafetyNet / CTS / XXX app won't work after enabling MagiskHide:
      Ignored
    Android Q root baby
    New canary release is now live!
    Due to high demands I added a new canary channel with debug flags turned off, but remember only report bugs/logs when using debug builds!
    FYI, Canary Channels are now moved to a new URL. For existing Canary users, all you need to do is to update to the latest Canary Magisk Manager. Old links will be removed in a couple of days, so please upgrade when it still lasts ?
    Just pushed a new build to fix issues on some devices (known: HTC devices)
    Support for logical partitions will be postponed after the next release cycle, I'm wrapping up for a public release now.