• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[CLOSED][DEV] Magisk Canary Channel - Bleeding Edge Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DenyDarko

Jun 9, 2010
Athens
@topjohnwu your recent Canary release MM is crashing immediately on launch for me. Oneplus 6, android 9, OOS Beta 9:

FATAL EXCEPTION: main
Process: com.SegjHoyCHE.A.GUS, PID: 14771
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to create application a.q: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.String[] android.content.res.Resources.getStringArray(int)' on a null object reference
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleBindApplication(ActivityThread.java:6044)
at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1300(ActivityThread.java:207)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1748)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:193)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6863)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:537)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:858)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.String[] android.content.res.Resources.getStringArray(int)' on a null object reference
at android.content.res.ThemeController.checkOneplusApplication(ThemeController.java:79)
at android.content.res.ThemeController.<init>(ThemeController.java:37)
at android.content.res.ThemeController.getInstance(ThemeController.java:43)
at android.app.Application.onCreate(Application.java:129)
at com.topjohnwu.core.App.onCreate(App.java:36)
at android.app.Instrumentation.callApplicationOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1165)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleBindApplication(ActivityThread.java:6039)
... 8 more

------

⇢ saveAttachmentFiles(outState=Bundle[{android:style=2, android:theme=2131689670, draft_saved_state=FATAL EXCEPTION: main
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to create application a.q: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.String[] android.content.res.Resources.getStringArray(int)' on a null object reference
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:537)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.String[] android.content.res.Resources.getStringArray(int)' on a null object reference
at android.content.res.ThemeController.checkOneplusApplication(ThemeController.java:79)
at android.app.Instrumentation.callApplicationOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1165)
... 8 more, dialog_saved_state=false, android:savedDialogState=Bundle[{android:dialogHierarchy=Bundle[{android:views={[email protected]}, android:focusedViewId=2131296440}], android:dialogShowing=true}]}])

Last edited:

topjohnwu

Senior Recognized Developer / Recog. Contributor
Jan 31, 2012
Taipei
@topjohnwu your recent Canary release MM is crashing immediately on launch for me. Oneplus 6, android 9, OOS Beta 9:

FATAL EXCEPTION: main
... 8 more

------

⇢ saveAttachmentFiles(outState=Bundle[{android:style=2, android:theme=2131689670, draft_saved_state=FATAL EXCEPTION: main
... 8 more, dialog_saved_state=false, android:savedDialogState=Bundle[{android:dialogHierarchy=Bundle[{android:views={[email protected]}, android:focusedViewId=2131296440}], android:dialogShowing=true}]}])

OOS doing weird **** once again! A fix is published, please upgrade manually :)

peterlee928

Oct 16, 2014
and, actually, i am incorrect as i am still not passing after a day of testing. so it had nothing to do with the app.
after further testing, i have been passing consistently after hiding the following google apps. just fyi for those that are having issues with intermittent safetynet fails.

1) google phone app
2) phone and messaging storage
3) phone services

happy holidays all!

tech_head

Nov 22, 2007
California
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yeah, that doesn't work for me.
OnePlus 6T with 17,3, 18, 18.1 fails SafetyNet.
I've uninstalled, reinstalled, run without ElementalX and no matter what root is detected.

So something changed in either the latest 9.10 OS or Google. I don't know which, but applications like SAP Concur would work and don't now. Quite frustrating this cat and mouse game. I'll keep checking the latest builds to see if anything fixes it.

peterlee928

Oct 16, 2014
Yeah, that doesn't work for me.
OnePlus 6T with 17,3, 18, 18.1 fails SafetyNet.
I've uninstalled, reinstalled, run without ElementalX and no matter what root is detected.

So something changed in either the latest 9.10 OS or Google. I don't know which, but applications like SAP Concur would work and don't now. Quite frustrating this cat and mouse game. I'll keep checking the latest builds to see if anything fixes it.
yep false alarm. i give up lol.

lululala

Sep 12, 2009
New Canary builds with official EMUI 9.0 support are just released.
Simple instructions are added in release notes. If you can't figure it out, please don't bother me and just patiently wait for public release

got it to work ! Had to use official twrp.img instead of stock recovery. then boot into twrp and adb sideload magisk-release.zip.. Profit.

thanks John

Last edited:

jcmm11

Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Pixel 3 XL
Stock (December 5 patch)
Magisk-v18.1-b245931c(18002)

WiFi hotspot refuses to turn on (didn't try USB or Bluetooth)
Restore stock boot image it works fine. Flash Magisk it won't stay on. Appears to engage for a fraction of a second then turns itself off.

Attached zip contains Magisk log and logcat.

Edit: just a note to say that there was a reboot between the 2 logs. If you need the 2 logs to sync up let me know and I'll redo them.
This appears to be fixed with the latest update. Thank you.

麦麦观

Dec 10, 2017

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181226_175826.jpg
    Screenshot_20181226_175826.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:

hanneshoch3

Mar 22, 2011
same for me also on P20 pro (charlotte). Tried with stock recovery and twrp 3.2.3, same result. Boots recovery not ROM.

Had the same issue until I realized I hadn't changed the update channel in magisk to the Canary channel. Tried it again with the stock recovery ramdisk for my version (9.0.0.161) and it worked right away. Make sure magisk manager offers version 18003.
Hope this helps

rudolfm

Apr 11, 2014
I am new to Magisk. I tried stable, but i didn't work. I read that I should try Canary before I post on Support.
When I click the links on Post #1, i get a strange text instad of a downloan. So i copied and pasted urls, downloaden it and wasted lots of time as magisk manager doesn't tell me that it will install the zip I downloaded. Could you please:
Put a Link othetd can download with.
Explain that the Manager will use the downloaded debug zip, even though it says it will download something else. On the first post please, not somewhere in this thread.

It ist a bit frustrating when Magisk doesnt work. But if I try to adhere to the suggestions what I should do to get Support, and then I get strange riddles, then that is bad.

Last edited:

hanneshoch3

Mar 22, 2011
On newest Canary and emui 9 I cannot install/update modules at all. Creating or rather mounting the merge image in /data/ADB doesn't work. Existing modules from when I had magisk 18 running under emui 8 are still working just fine. Flashing in recovery is a no because on emui 9/canary recovery is used to boot up normally with magisk enabled.
Any ideas?

hanneshoch3

Mar 22, 2011
Please post the logs. Probably a tool needed to create/expand the image is missing on your device...

Sorry for missing the basics .. had a look into it, some wrong option appearently.

Edit : reading logs does help ...disabled BusyBox module and it works fine now. Thanks for pointing me to the logs though!

Attachments

• magisk_install_log_20181226_163729.log
    1.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Canary Magisk Manager: Link
    Canary Magisk Manager (Debug): Link
    Latest Release Notes: Link
    All Canary Files: Link

The Canary Builds are similar to Google Chrome's: bleeding edge of the source.
    Be warned: Canary can be unstable.
    The binaries from debug channel are built with debug flag ON

Install Canary Magisk Manager and go to Settings > Update Channel and switch to either Canary or Canary (Debug)
    If you need a clean start, download the Canary Uninstaller to uninstall any version of Magisk

How to Report:
    • Only report bugs/logs using the debug channel!!
    • Magisk installation failure:
      In TWRP: Upload the recovery logs (pull the file /tmp/recovery.log, or select "Advanced > Copy Log" and upload)
      In MagiskManager: Choose to save logs after installation and upload
    • Magisk bugs:
      Magisk logs are placed in /cache/magisk.log (For A/B devices, they are actually in /data/cache/magisk.log)
      If you cannot boot or stuck in bootloops, grab logcats (and kernel dmesg if possible) on boot
    • Magisk Manager bugs:
      Grab logcat (NOT magisk logs) when the crash occurs, upload the logs and report how to reproduce
    • SafetyNet / CTS / XXX app won't work after enabling MagiskHide:
      Ignored
    Android Q root baby
    New canary release is now live!
    Due to high demands I added a new canary channel with debug flags turned off, but remember only report bugs/logs when using debug builds!
    FYI, Canary Channels are now moved to a new URL. For existing Canary users, all you need to do is to update to the latest Canary Magisk Manager. Old links will be removed in a couple of days, so please upgrade when it still lasts ?
    Just pushed a new build to fix issues on some devices (known: HTC devices)
    Support for logical partitions will be postponed after the next release cycle, I'm wrapping up for a public release now.