• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[CLOSED][DEV] Magisk Canary Channel - Bleeding Edge Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

martyfender

Mar 9, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I am new to Magisk. I tried stable, but i didn't work. I read that I should try Canary before I post on Support.
When I click the links on Post #1, i get a strange text instad of a downloan. So i copied and pasted urls, downloaden it and wasted lots of time as magisk manager doesn't tell me that it will install the zip I downloaded. Could you please:
Put a Link othetd can download with.
Explain that the Manager will use the downloaded debug zip, even though it says it will download something else. On the first post please, not somewhere in this thread.

It ist a bit frustrating when Magisk doesnt work. But if I try to adhere to the suggestions what I should do to get Support, and then I get strange riddles, then that is bad.

The debug url in the OP needs to be copied and pasted into the Magisk Manager settings: update channel: custom field. Then go back to the MM start page and swipe down to refresh and the updates should show up there.
By default, the MM is set on the stable channel.

You can also download the files directly, here:

https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/tree/master/canary_builds

And you are correct, the OP does not state that you need to copy the linked url's into the MM settings custom field.

You can use either url, but the debug version will provide much better logs.

Last edited:

hanneshoch3

Mar 22, 2011
Sorry for missing the basics .. had a look into it, some wrong option appearently.

Edit : reading logs does help ...disabled BusyBox module and it works fine now. Thanks for pointing me to the logs though!

So you should post your issue to the support forum for busybox module: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2239421

Reinstalling the module fixed it again. Seems it just didn't survive the Android 8->9 update and broke something in-between .

josdehaes

Oct 25, 2009
Do EMUI devices still need to have an unlocked bootloader? If not then where do we get recovery_ramdisk.img from?
I think you can use whatever recovery ramdisk including twrp. It's just a trick to get a ramdisk to boot on system as root devices. I got the emui 9 stock recovery from the update using a Perl script to extract all partitions. Google for Perl update.app

martyfender

Mar 9, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
@topjohnwu Do you sometimes add silent updates to problems you don't list?
For some time recently, on both Canary and Unofficial builds, I have had one issue, I think possbily mentioned here and on the unofficial thread:

In my settings I have set: reauthenticate after upgrade set. When I updated an app, on first launch, there would be no root prompt, and I would see a toast that root was granted. On the second launch of the app, I did see the root prompt. That was pretty consistent on my 5 devices.

This appears to be fixed on the latest Canary and Unofficial builds.

Updated apps include Mixplorer and Lspeed.

Thanks

Last edited:

gloeyisk

Jun 17, 2017
Cimahi
Omg you do the wrong.

Use this link for accessing Canary builds.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/master/canary_builds/canary.json

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Just copy-paste the link and boooommm!!!
Enjoy Canary releases ;)

CaseyS

Reactions: gloeyisk

djclark25

Feb 15, 2011
Just installed Canary on my Mate 10 pro (BLA-09) running EMUI 9. I installed TWRP first then sideloaded the zip file. Upon reboot MM said Magsk wasnt installed so I clicked install and it said setup failed. Upon another reboot though MM now shows it is installed.

Installed Titanium Backup and root was granted :):):):)

Thanks for your hard work!

EDIT : Rebooted again and lost root.....

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
Lastest canary magisk can't patch with mate9 pro EMUI9 recovery ramdisk.

When I patch with mate9 pro stock emui9 recovery ramdisk, it go to the origin recvoery and didn't boot into system. After I choose reboot, it boots to system but magisk root is not
When I try flash the image patch by mate9 twrp or directly flash with pre patched p20 or mate20 image . They all go to the origin recvoery and didn't boot into system. After I choose reboot, it boots to system but magisk root is not available.
stock emui 9.0.1.126 recovery_ramdisk.img and patched boot is attached
https://we.tl/t-xSxkA7iR0X
Thanks irony_delerium shared the method https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/pull/928
https://we.tl/t-sTrdBoxc4i
This is fixed boot img it should work at all 960 devices.

Last edited:

hanneshoch3

Mar 22, 2011
Just installed Canary on my Mate 10 pro (BLA-09) running EMUI 9. I installed TWRP first then sideloaded the zip file. Upon reboot MM said Magsk wasnt installed so I clicked install and it said setup failed. Upon another reboot though MM now shows it is installed.

Installed Titanium Backup and root was granted :):):):)

Thanks for your hard work!

EDIT : Rebooted again and lost root.....

Did you boot into recovery to activate magisk? Actual recovery is lost and it boots straight into Android, hopefully with root.

josdehaes

Oct 25, 2009
Using magisk canary on p20 Pro with Los 16 on emui 9 firmware. Working fine, but somehow Kbc sign app is detecting root. Even with hidden manager and even with totally removed manager. This worked previously. Not sure if magisk problem or somehow they are detecting better. There hasn't been an update to the app in quite some time. Google pay works. Anything I can do to help troubleshoot?

Reactions: pijen

mohsyn

Sep 22, 2012
Sorry for my noob question
I'm on emui 9 with open bootloader and open frp
No root after upgrading to emui 9
If I put the URL in custom channel it asks me to update setup and fails after a while.

I read that we need to flash using fastboot but where are the img files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Canary Magisk Manager: Link
    Canary Magisk Manager (Debug): Link
    Latest Release Notes: Link
    All Canary Files: Link

The Canary Builds are similar to Google Chrome's: bleeding edge of the source.
    Be warned: Canary can be unstable.
    The binaries from debug channel are built with debug flag ON

Install Canary Magisk Manager and go to Settings > Update Channel and switch to either Canary or Canary (Debug)
    If you need a clean start, download the Canary Uninstaller to uninstall any version of Magisk

How to Report:
    • Only report bugs/logs using the debug channel!!
    • Magisk installation failure:
      In TWRP: Upload the recovery logs (pull the file /tmp/recovery.log, or select "Advanced > Copy Log" and upload)
      In MagiskManager: Choose to save logs after installation and upload
    • Magisk bugs:
      Magisk logs are placed in /cache/magisk.log (For A/B devices, they are actually in /data/cache/magisk.log)
      If you cannot boot or stuck in bootloops, grab logcats (and kernel dmesg if possible) on boot
    • Magisk Manager bugs:
      Grab logcat (NOT magisk logs) when the crash occurs, upload the logs and report how to reproduce
    • SafetyNet / CTS / XXX app won't work after enabling MagiskHide:
      Ignored
    Android Q root baby
    New canary release is now live!
    Due to high demands I added a new canary channel with debug flags turned off, but remember only report bugs/logs when using debug builds!
    FYI, Canary Channels are now moved to a new URL. For existing Canary users, all you need to do is to update to the latest Canary Magisk Manager. Old links will be removed in a couple of days, so please upgrade when it still lasts ?
    Just pushed a new build to fix issues on some devices (known: HTC devices)
    Support for logical partitions will be postponed after the next release cycle, I'm wrapping up for a public release now.