• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[CLOSED][DEV] Magisk Canary Channel - Bleeding Edge Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ridobe

Sorry for my noob question
I'm on emui 9 with open bootloader and open frp
No root after upgrading to emui 9
If I put the URL in custom channel it asks me to update setup and fails after a while.

I read that we need to flash using fastboot but where are the img files?
The only image file you'd need is TWRP. Once in, flash the magisk.zip. Then, you can set up the custom channel for updates.

Sent from my crosshatch using XDA Labs

mohsyn

Sep 22, 2012
The only image file you'd need is TWRP. Once in, flash the magisk.zip. Then, you can set up the custom channel for updates.

Yes but twrp shows data as encrypted.
I don't think it's a good idea to flash magisk while the entire disk is encrypted and showing junk file names everywhere or is it?

jcmm11

Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Google Pixel 4a 5G
No. He's on EMUI
Release Notes: Magisk (b245931c) (18002) said:
Support EMUI 9.0: patch `recovery_ramdisk.img` with Magisk Manager, and install with `fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk <patched image>`
In order to boot with Magisk, you have to always reboot to recovery (press volume up while booting)

I assume recovery_ramdisk.img is extracted from stock - but it may also be a TWRP image. I don't run EMUI devices so really not sure, but I do know topjohn just put EMUI stuff out there.

Last edited:

irony_delerium

Jan 13, 2013
Portland, OR
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
Magisk + EMUI 9 on hi3660 (Mate 9 and the like)

So, this also works, but not out of the box:

native/jni/misc/init.cpp checks for androidboot.hardware contains "kirin" (on the Mate 9 and other Kirin 960 devices, it doesn't - it instead contains "hi3660").

I've submitted a pull request with what should be the necessary change, hopefully this will make it in (instead of needing a binary patch to magiskinit).

Apr 21, 2018
So, this also works, but not out of the box:

native/jni/misc/init.cpp checks for androidboot.hardware contains "kirin" (on the Mate 9 and other Kirin 960 devices, it doesn't - it instead contains "hi3660").

I've submitted a pull request with what should be the necessary change, hopefully this will make it in (instead of needing a binary patch to magiskinit).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78534832&postcount=457
Hello, My device is mate9 pro, I have the same problem. Can you share how did you patch the recovery, or can you share the patched boot img? Thank you.

hanneshoch3

Mar 22, 2011
Sorry for my noob question
I'm on emui 9 with open bootloader and open frp
No root after upgrading to emui 9
If I put the URL in custom channel it asks me to update setup and fails after a while.

I read that we need to flash using fastboot but where are the img files?

This is for BLA-L29 c432, unpatched image. Use this img as the 'boot image' when updating using magisk manager. After it has been patched (in download folder) there is 'patched_boot.img'; transfer it to a PC with fastboot, boot into fastboot and in console on PC type 'fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk patched_boot.img' and then reboot with 'fastboot reboot'. You should have root. Apparently this whole process works with TWRP recovery img too, someone mentioned it a while back in this thread.

Remember: if you reboot, you have to reboot into recovery (which doesn't actually boot, it just boots normally but with root), otherwise you won't have root until you reboot into recovery. 'reboot' in magisk manager now defaults to recovery on emui 9.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aEUA2JIm616YdfEStCWcyJIHnC6BC6u3/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
Reactions: mohsyn

d3p

Dec 16, 2011
This is for BLA-L29 c432, unpatched image. Use this img as the 'boot image' when updating using magisk manager. After it has been patched (in download folder) there is 'patched_boot.img'; transfer it to a PC with fastboot, boot into fastboot and in console on PC type 'fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk patched_boot.img' and then reboot with 'fastboot reboot'. You should have root. Apparently this whole process works with TWRP recovery img too, someone mentioned it a while back in this thread.

Remember: if you reboot, you have to reboot into recovery (which doesn't actually boot, it just boots normally but with root), otherwise you won't have root until you reboot into recovery. 'reboot' in magisk manager now defaults to recovery on emui 9.

Im my mate 10 pro (BLA-L29 c432) patched-img works and grant root (booting with volume up), but the phone has no mobile signal (no service) and, after a little while (1 - 2 minutes), it reboots by itself......this time with no root.

hanneshoch3

Mar 22, 2011
Im my mate 10 pro (BLA-L29 c432) patched-img works and grant root (booting with volume up), but the phone has no mobile signal (no service) and, after a little while (1 - 2 minutes), it reboots by itself......this time with no root.

Haven't had this issue at all, same hardware. Maybe a factory reset helps? Try disabling all magisk modules and reboot to recovery, if 2 minutes is enough for that. Also, I guess without logs the devs can't help.

d3p

Dec 16, 2011
Haven't had this issue at all, same hardware. Maybe a factory reset helps? Try disabling all magisk modules and reboot to recovery, if 2 minutes is enough for that. Also, I guess without logs the devs can't help.

Thanks for the tip. I disabled all the magisk modules that were active (Air Audio, MidnightCore:Twilight Edition and Pix3lify) and upon a reboot now I have mobile signal and root.

gerardo96

Sep 24, 2010
Hello People,
Will Magisc help me to lock my boot loader? I got a Honor 10 with latest stock firmware and every time I try to lock the boot loader via FLASHBOOT i got the error message "FAILED (remote: root type is risk)
finished. total time: 0.016s"

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

martyfender

Mar 9, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Hello People,
Will Magisc help me to lock my boot loader? I got a Honor 10 with latest stock firmware and every time I try to lock the boot loader via FLASHBOOT i got the error message "FAILED (remote: root type is risk)
finished. total time: 0.016s"

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Why do you want to relock the bootloader? I don't think it is possible on a rooted device and trying to do so is just asking for trouble. If Magisk and Magisk Hide are working correctly, I believe it hides the fact that the bootloader is unlocked.

I think the only way to do that is to return completely to stock?
I'm not sure if that is true for all devices, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Didgeridoohan

ahamling27

Jun 26, 2014
Lincoln
www.curseforge.com
OOS doing weird **** once again! A fix is published, please upgrade manually :)
Just FYI, I got magisk v18 working on OS 9.0.3 for op6 by flashing magisk uninstall, then flashing magisk 17.3 and it successfully booted. From there I installed magisk manager and installed v18 just fine. Got all my modules installed again and everything seems to be working fine again. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Didgeridoohan

gerardo96

Sep 24, 2010
Why do you want to relock the bootloader? I don't think it is possible on a rooted device and trying to do so is just asking for trouble. If Magisk and Magisk Hide are working correctly, I believe it hides the fact that the bootloader is unlocked.

I think the only way to do that is to return completely to stock?
I'm not sure if that is true for all devices, though.

Hello Marty,
Thanks for your reply.

See the problem is that I got a honor 10 with EMUI 8.1 but then I have flashed the EMUI 9. I had to unlock the bootloader. Now that I have EMUI 9 I cannot lock again the bootloader. I have hear that for security reasons is best to have it locked.
I use this command in fastboot: fastboot oem relock "******"

but in return I get the folowing error:

FAILED (remote: root type is risk)
finished. total time: 0.016s

I would like to lock the bootloader for peace of mind.:)

ridobe

Hello Marty,
Thanks for your reply.

See the problem is that I got a honor 10 with EMUI 8.1 but then I have flashed the EMUI 9. I had to unlock the bootloader. Now that I have EMUI 9 I cannot lock again the bootloader. I have hear that for security reasons is best to have it locked.

As @martyfender has stated, you're asking for trouble. Modern phones are all but unbrickable but locking a bootloader while not being 100% stock is asking for it.

Sent from my crosshatch using XDA Labs

jcmm11

Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Hello Marty,
Thanks for your reply.

Just to add my voice to what @martyfender and @ridobe said. If you're not running stock (and I assume you're now rooted) you do NOT want to lock the bootloader. If something happens you're screwed.

If you lock it and you need to use adb/fastboot for any reason that means you'd have to unlock it again - which means you'd wipe the entire phone again.

People will also tell you that for security reasons you shouldn't root your phone. (I happen to disagree with that statement but that's a different discussion, and does depend on the individual to at least some extent)

So if you really want to lock the phone go back to totally stock first. Otherwise just leave the bootloader unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Canary Magisk Manager: Link
    Canary Magisk Manager (Debug): Link
    Latest Release Notes: Link
    All Canary Files: Link

The Canary Builds are similar to Google Chrome's: bleeding edge of the source.
    Be warned: Canary can be unstable.
    The binaries from debug channel are built with debug flag ON

Install Canary Magisk Manager and go to Settings > Update Channel and switch to either Canary or Canary (Debug)
    If you need a clean start, download the Canary Uninstaller to uninstall any version of Magisk

How to Report:
    • Only report bugs/logs using the debug channel!!
    • Magisk installation failure:
      In TWRP: Upload the recovery logs (pull the file /tmp/recovery.log, or select "Advanced > Copy Log" and upload)
      In MagiskManager: Choose to save logs after installation and upload
    • Magisk bugs:
      Magisk logs are placed in /cache/magisk.log (For A/B devices, they are actually in /data/cache/magisk.log)
      If you cannot boot or stuck in bootloops, grab logcats (and kernel dmesg if possible) on boot
    • Magisk Manager bugs:
      Grab logcat (NOT magisk logs) when the crash occurs, upload the logs and report how to reproduce
    • SafetyNet / CTS / XXX app won't work after enabling MagiskHide:
      Ignored
    Android Q root baby
    New canary release is now live!
    Due to high demands I added a new canary channel with debug flags turned off, but remember only report bugs/logs when using debug builds!
    FYI, Canary Channels are now moved to a new URL. For existing Canary users, all you need to do is to update to the latest Canary Magisk Manager. Old links will be removed in a couple of days, so please upgrade when it still lasts ?
    Just pushed a new build to fix issues on some devices (known: HTC devices)
    Support for logical partitions will be postponed after the next release cycle, I'm wrapping up for a public release now.