[CLOSED][DEV] Magisk Canary Channel - Bleeding Edge Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Tatsun0x0

Apr 8, 2015
Issue on N935F (android pie)

Hi Sir,

I'm currently having an issue trying to disable the core only mode of Magisk. I tried disabling via app and TWRP through magisk manager script but it yields no effect at all on reboot. I'm currently using this rom. Please see attachment for the logcat.

blacknikname

Feb 26, 2013
Chișinău
Yes. Got the latest canary, put a copy of the boot.img on the phone, told Magisk to patch it, copied the patched img back to the computer and then flashed it. Went just fine, zero issues.

No TWRP yet I don't think, so the above is the way to go.
Relax, twrp work. even with not latest canary

Trimis de pe al meu Pixel folosind Tapatalk

Last edited:

mk262

Aug 17, 2010
Daytona Beach FL
Yes. Got the latest canary, put a copy of the boot.img on the phone, told Magisk to patch it, copied the patched img back to the computer and then flashed it. Went just fine, zero issues.

No TWRP yet I don't think, so the above is the way to go.

I've never used the boot.img method, only flashing via TWRP. Guess I gotta figure out how that works. lol

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
I'm taking 10 final now, an am using https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/tutorials.html#ota-installation to do it (this time I'm not pulling a rookie move and rebooting in the middle).

Will report if I have any issues.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

I performed the steps exactly as listed, but when I come back to Magisk Manager, it states that Magisk is up to date, instead of showing as uninstalled (when I ran uninstall --> restore images, I got a popup stating that restoration was done).

I swapped to stable, including wiping cache, and it does the same thing. :S

This has never happened before. Meanwhile, the Android System says it's ready to reboot....but MM isn't giving me the ability to patch the inactive slot.

laupuy

Jul 26, 2015
dans tes 22
Google Pixel 3
I'm taking 10 final now, an am using https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/tutorials.html#ota-installation to do it (this time I'm not pulling a rookie move and rebooting in the middle).

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

I performed the steps exactly as listed, but when I come back to Magisk Manager, it states that Magisk is up to date, instead of showing as uninstalled (when I ran uninstall --> restore images, I got a popup stating that restoration was done).

This has never happened before. Meanwhile, the Android System says it's ready to reboot....but MM isn't giving me the ability to patch the inactive slot.

Hmm, something wrong on your side, because it works ;)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using XDA Labs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190903-210331.png
    Screenshot_20190903-210331.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,759
  • Screenshot_20190903-214429.png
    Screenshot_20190903-214429.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,753
  • Screenshot_20190903-214357.png
    Screenshot_20190903-214357.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,753

Nephiel

Dec 5, 2014

FWIW I just tried it on a 3a XL. On Android 9, Magisk Manager Stable channel. Magisk uninstall OK, but still showed up to date.

I went ahead and finished system update, avoided rebooting there and back to MM instead, which let me patch the inactive slot and rebooted to 10, apparently fine. Only problem is MM says Magisk is not installed.

I am now downloading stock image, to grab the boot.img and try to install.

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
Interesting. This thing has not allowed me to use FP for granting su privileges for a couple of months. And now, on a Pixel 2 XL, aka my Taimen, this is the first time I've actually encountered an issue that I didn't create on my own (by rebooting before the process was complete).

Oh well, looks like I'll take the OTA, be rootless for a while, then do clean install (April Pie) and OTA (10) and root again.

Thanks for the confirmation that it worked, @laupuy- I'll just continue with the install.

Nephiel

Dec 5, 2014
FWIW I just tried it on a 3a XL. On Android 9, Magisk Manager Stable channel. Magisk uninstall OK, but still showed up to date.

I went ahead and finished system update, avoided rebooting there and back to MM instead, which let me patch the inactive slot and rebooted to 10, apparently fine. Only problem is MM says Magisk is not installed.

I am now downloading stock image, to grab the boot.img and try to install.

Bad news: even after installing (by patching a stock boot.img and flashing it via fastboot) Magisk Manager still says Magisk is not installed.
I don't know what else to try at this point.

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
Q installed fine - but I'm making a full backup of all data and then wiping and installing Pie April, verifying TWRP decryption works, flashing Magisk, then I'll run through the entire process OTA again, see if it works this time.

Nephiel

Dec 5, 2014
Bad news: even after installing (by patching a stock boot.img and flashing it via fastboot) Magisk Manager still says Magisk is not installed.
I don't know what else to try at this point.
I updated Magisk Manager to Canary and reinstalled Magisk, without success (MM still said not installed).

So I went back to stock by doing this:
  • Flashed factory boot.img
  • Uninstalled Magisk Manager
  • Booted TWRP (with fastboot boot, without flashing it) and attempted to run Magisk Canary Uninstaller (which did nothing, because TWRP couldn't decrypt data)
And then attempted to root again by doing this:
  • Dirty-flashed full factory image by running flash-all script with the -w flag removed
  • Installed Magisk Manager Canary
  • Installed Magisk by img patch and fastboot flash. I noticed this time MM downloaded 19.4-736729f5 (19307)
That did the trick. I am now on 10, rooted, and still have all my data.

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I updated Magisk Manager to Canary and reinstalled Magisk, without success (MM still said not installed).

• Booted TWRP (with fastboot boot, without flashing it) and attempted to run Magisk Canary Uninstaller (which did nothing, because TWRP couldn't decrypt data)
  • Dirty-flashed full factory image by running flash-all script with the -w flag removed
  • Installed Magisk by img patch and fastboot flash. I noticed this time MM downloaded 19.4-736729f5 (19307)

What phone did you follow these steps with?

The second set of steps worked perfectly for my Pixel XL. I can wait for custom kernels, but i simply cannot have no anti adware, so root is a must for me. Thanks!
The only extra step i did as overkill, is to dirty flash both slots (a&b) manually.

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
Q installed fine - but I'm making a full backup of all data and then wiping and installing Pie April, verifying TWRP decryption works, flashing Magisk, then I'll run through the entire process OTA again, see if it works this time.

So, clean flashed April Pie, set up my accounts, rooted via booting TWRP and flashing Magisk Canary (non-debug).

After booting back into Pie, used MM to unisntall (restore images). Again, no change in the icons, still shows that it is installed. However, upon pressing the install link to the right of Magisk, I this time got the correct options to install in various methods, including inactive slot. I've got screenshots to show where MM thinks everything is still installed when you just look at the main page.

I've now taken the Q10 OTA and have flashed inactive slot - about to reboot.

Artim_96

Feb 15, 2013
So, clean flashed April Pie, set up my accounts, rooted via booting TWRP and flashing Magisk Canary (non-debug).

After booting back into Pie, used MM to unisntall (restore images). Again, no change in the icons, still shows that it is installed. However, upon pressing the install link to the right of Magisk, I this time got the correct options to install in various methods, including inactive slot. I've got screenshots to show where MM thinks everything is still installed when you just look at the main page.

I've now taken the Q10 OTA and have flashed inactive slot - about to reboot.

... That's exactly what's supposed to happen

kcxda78

Nov 16, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Got a Rooted Pixel 3XL with TWRP on Pie.
Ive updated Magisk to canary build 19.4.
Can i flash the factory image for android 10 (crosshatch-qp1a.190711.020-factory-2eae0727) in TWRP?

Masta_mind257

Jun 28, 2010
Tried flashing Canary Magisk on Pixel 3. Patched boot.img and then flashed using fastboot. Get stuck in a bootloop for some odd reason, had to flash regular boot.img to get out of it.

This is with Android 10 boot.img

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Canary Magisk Manager: Link
    Canary Magisk Manager (Debug): Link
    Latest Release Notes: Link
    All Canary Files: Link

The Canary Builds are similar to Google Chrome's: bleeding edge of the source.
    Be warned: Canary can be unstable.
    The binaries from debug channel are built with debug flag ON

Install Canary Magisk Manager and go to Settings > Update Channel and switch to either Canary or Canary (Debug)
    If you need a clean start, download the Canary Uninstaller to uninstall any version of Magisk

How to Report:
    • Only report bugs/logs using the debug channel!!
    • Magisk installation failure:
      In TWRP: Upload the recovery logs (pull the file /tmp/recovery.log, or select "Advanced > Copy Log" and upload)
      In MagiskManager: Choose to save logs after installation and upload
    • Magisk bugs:
      Magisk logs are placed in /cache/magisk.log (For A/B devices, they are actually in /data/cache/magisk.log)
      If you cannot boot or stuck in bootloops, grab logcats (and kernel dmesg if possible) on boot
    • Magisk Manager bugs:
      Grab logcat (NOT magisk logs) when the crash occurs, upload the logs and report how to reproduce
    • SafetyNet / CTS / XXX app won't work after enabling MagiskHide:
      Ignored
    Android Q root baby
    New canary release is now live!
    Due to high demands I added a new canary channel with debug flags turned off, but remember only report bugs/logs when using debug builds!
    FYI, Canary Channels are now moved to a new URL. For existing Canary users, all you need to do is to update to the latest Canary Magisk Manager. Old links will be removed in a couple of days, so please upgrade when it still lasts ?
    Just pushed a new build to fix issues on some devices (known: HTC devices)
    Support for logical partitions will be postponed after the next release cycle, I'm wrapping up for a public release now.