[CLOSED] EOL [ROM][Unofficial][10.0.0][microG][signed]LineageOS 17.1 for Motorola G3 (osprey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Tiki Thorsen

Jan 27, 2017
Argentina
Samsung Galaxy J4+
Moto G7 Plus
I did a clean of your latest build and now for some reason, the memory usage now is 872mb with the only apps I added are Whatsapp (I cannot get away with from it, sadly) and Magisk.

As a side note, Whatsapp behaviour is "normal", text messaging works fine, including emotes but voice messages are blocked, also voice calls work too.

Reactions: TheLabCoat
LineageOS 16.0 - 1st test build
Hi all, here is the 1st 16.0 test build, as announced - I have started patching the kernel, but still some way to go.
Nevertheless - for those willing to test and give feedback, here we go - November patch level 2021-11-05, but as indicated, kernel will still receive further patches.
You need to clean flash, no downgrade from this 17.1 build possible (but if you're on 16.0, you could dirty-flash), so make a backup in TWRP:

Tiki Thorsen

Jan 27, 2017
Argentina
Samsung Galaxy J4+
Moto G7 Plus
Hi all, here is the 1st 16.0 test build, as announced - I have started patching the kernel, but still some way to go.
Nevertheless - for those willing to test and give feedback, here we go - November patch level 2021-11-05, but as indicated, kernel will still receive further patches.
You need to clean flash, no downgrade from this 17.1 build possible (but if you're on 16.0, you could dirty-flash), so make a backup in TWRP:
I installed it this morning and been using through the day (it is my main device/daily driver) and I am surprised how much lower the battery consumption is (on my device at least).

Reactions: MSe1969

samuells

Jul 26, 2018
So I managed to install it last weekend and have been using it this week, and boy oh boy, it's been amazing the battery consumption (using GSam), I only charged twice this week (first one 100%, second 80%), it's been even better than 14.1 I'm getting 0.4%/h sometimes 0.3%/h on IDLE state. And very very fluid, I'm not getting lag at all, even with 3-4 tabs opened on VIA web browser. I only experienced glitches on the wizard setup screen, after the clean install, but managed to pass by, clicking multiple times on the return button.
Screenshot_20211128-165107_GSam_Battery_Monitor.png
Screenshot_20211128-165119_GSam_Battery_Monitor.png

Here two samples what I'm getting from battery consumption this week and IDLE state, and I think I would have at least one more day before charge the battery.

Tiki Thorsen

Jan 27, 2017
Argentina
Samsung Galaxy J4+
Moto G7 Plus
I tested Substratum with DarkCroc and it works like your Lineage 14.1 ROM. Sadly, is not as good as the native dark mode in Android 10, but is usable.
What I sorely miss from Android 10 is under Settings>Accessibility, is the slider for the balance of the left and right audio channels.
Finding a bloatware/free Music Player that has an internal equalizer with left and right balance was a failure.
This is a feature I need because my hearing on my right lower than the left. In general, I need +3 on the right channel.

Also, the stock music player works, but I tried "Auxio" and "Music Player GO" from F-Droid and it gives me an error:
Media player error -38.

Reactions: MSe1969

TheLabCoat

Jun 16, 2021
Moto G 2015
My battery on my actual rom can live until 75% or 65% and on 64 or 60 dies... however i can't buy a new battery. ON my actual rom havoc os from chill the rom has so much futures that drains my battery so gonna try this one and hope i help testing thanks so much for this downgrade i really needed.

New build with December 2021 sec. patches available - FINAL build

Hi all,
a new build is available and will soon be offered as OTA update through the Updater app:
  • ASB Security String 2021-12-05
  • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 96.0.4664.54
  • microG 0.22.214516-21
As announced before, I will switch back to LineageOS 16.0 due to better overall performance. So looks like this is the final 17.1 build for this device. I will soon publish another test build here and reopen (if possible, otherwise new thread) my previous 16.0 thread. (I am right now a bit short on time, but I hope that I'll have more time soon.)

Happy flashing - regards, M.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiki Thorsen
What I sorely miss from Android 10 is under Settings>Accessibility, is the slider for the balance of the left and right audio channels.
Finding a bloatware/free Music Player that has an internal equalizer with left and right balance was a failure.
This is a feature I need because my hearing on my right lower than the left. In general, I need +3 on the right channel.
No promises - but once I find the time (difficult right now, tbh), I may check the feasibility to backport that feature from 17.1...

Also, the stock music player works, but I tried "Auxio" and "Music Player GO" from F-Droid and it gives me an error:
Media player error -38.
Another item to look at, when I find the time...

Hi all,
I have now re-activated my LineageOS 16.0 Osprey thread and published a microG build for 16.0.
You can download it from here.

To switch over, you need to do a clean-flash. In the updated / reworked OP of that thread, you will find more information.

Please continue here to give feedback and/or discuss the 17.1 build of this thread and ask questions in regards to switching over to 16.0.

For anything else, I am looking forward to seeing you in my re-opened 16.0 thread.

Cheers, M.

Last edited:
Heading towards EOL
Happy New Year to all of you! As explained before, I have now switched back to LineageOS 16.0 builds here (see previous post and the discussions about the overall performance etc.).

So this thread will soon come to an end. For the time being, please feel free to ask any questions in regards to switching over here or discuss about this 17.1 build.

Otherwise, many thanks for your interest and looking forward to seeing you in my re-activated 16.0 thread.

Cheers, M.

Reactions: Tiki Thorsen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is discontinued - LineageOS 17.1 (Android 10) definitely has reached the boundary, of what an old medium range device can handle. Therefore, I have decided to go back to LineageOS 16.0 (see below - I have re-opened the linked LineageOS 16.0 thread).

This thread is dedicated to provide hardened Lineage-OS 17.1 builds with microG included for the Motorola Moto G 2015 (Osprey) with current security patches.

You can consider this thread as a successor of my LineageOS 16.0 Osprey thread
    Different from my 16.0 thread, I do not offer a "standard variant", as there is an official LineageOS 17.1 version available for the Osprey device.

Security hardened microG build
    Download here
    • Build is signed
    • Pre-installed microG and F-Droid like the LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • Bromite as default browser
    • eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking (Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Optional disable captive portal detection or choose from various providers (default is GrapheneOS and not Google; Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Firewall UI (under Trust)
    • Increased max. password length of 64
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView
    • Extra control of sensor access for additionally installed user apps (Special access under app permissions)
    • Constified JNI method tables

Current release levels
    Security string: 2021-12-05
    AOSP tag: 10.0.0_r41
    Bromite Webview: M96

Source-code and build instructions
    Kernel: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_motorola_msm8916/tree/lineage-17.1 (official LineageOS)
    Build manifest: https://github.com/lin17-microG/local_manifests/tree/lin-17.1-microG

Installation Instructions

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE SOLELY YOURSELF FOR ANY ACTIONS YOU DO WITH YOUR DEVICE !!!

Please note - I won't explain any single aspect (e.g. how to install 'fastboot' on your PC or troubleshoot USB connectivity issues under Windows). Search the net and consult the search engine of your choice or look here in XDA, there is plenty information available.

Pre-Requisites
    • Get familiar with the hardware keys of the Motorola Moto G 2015 (osprey) device, especially how to enter fastboot mode (switch phone off hold power + volume down together for about 3 seconds) and recovery mode (in fastboot mode, switch with volume key to the reboot recovery option and select with power key)
    • Activate the Developer options (Settings, about phone: tap 7 times on the build number), get into the new menu Developer options and activate, if available, the option "OEM unlocking")
    • Have fastboot and adb installed on your PC and make sure, you can connect via USB to your device in fastboot mode and via adb
    • Download the most current .ZIP file of this ROM and place it to your phone's internal memory or SD card
    • An unlocked bootloader (read the warnings carefully and backup your data!)

Install TWRP recovery
    If you come from stock ROM and have just unlocked your boot loader, this is the next thing to do. If you have already a working custom recovery on your device, there is no necessity to replace it. However - I recommend to use the official TWRP recovery from the TWRP site. The following instructions are based on TWRP.
    To install TWRP, download the TWRP.img file (Note: replace "TWRP.img" in the following instructions with the real file name) from this section to your PC, connect the phone via USB to your PC, get it into 'fastboot mode' and enter the following command on your PC:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
    Afterwards, directly boot into 'recovery mode' (enter fastboot reboot on your PC and use the right hardware keys to get into recovery mode) - I recommend not to boot the phone's Android system after having flashed TWRP. Once TWRP has been launched, you may decide to reboot your phone and install the ROM at any time later. But the first boot after flashing TWRP should be TWRP in recovery mode.

Advanced Wipe
    ONLY perform the steps described here, if you come from Stock ROM or a different Custom ROM!

Boot into recovery mode. In TWRP, choose "Wipe", "Advanced" and spefify "Dalvik", "System", "Cache" and "Data" to be wiped. Make sure NOT to wipe "Internal memory" or "SD Card". Swipe to confirm the deletion and get back into the main menu.

NO GApps!
    DO NOT attempt to flash GApps on this build! This build is "Google-free" comes with pre-installed AuroraStore and microG.
    If you absolutely want Gapps, download and flash the official LineageOS build for this device instead.

Install the ROM
    In the TWRP main menu, choose "Install". A file manager appears to let you navigate to your internal memory (path /sdcard) or your SD card (path /external_sd). Choose the .ZIP file of the ROM and swipe to flash. If you update from a previous version of the ROM, you don't need to perform a wipe. If you come from a different ROM (or stock firmware), make sure that you have performed the Wipe steps above. When finished flashing, return to the main menu, choose "Reboot" and then "System", which will cause your phone to boot into our Lineage OS 17.1 - be patient, the first boot after flashing a new ROM takes quite long!

microG
    After the first installation of this ROM, you need to setup microG.
    Please read the instructions given on the LineageOS for microG site, section "Post Install - UnifiedNlp"

Dealing with signed builds
    Please note, that my build is signed with an own key. When you come from a different build, you cannot directly "dirty-flash" this build. You have to perform a "clean flash".

Bug reports:
    If you have a problem please create a post with these information:
    Original Kernel shipped with this rom:
    Build Date:
    And try to get log as described here

Credits
    Android Open Source project (AOSP)
    LineageOS project
    althafvly
    chil360
    microG project
    csagan5 (Bromite)
    Whyorean (AuroraStore)
    Change log

2021-12-18

• ASB Security String 2021-12-01
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 96.0.4664.54
    • microG 0.22.214516-21

2021-11-13
    • ASB Security string 2021-11-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 94.0.4606.109

2021-10-11
    • ASB Security string 2021-10-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 93.0.4577.83

2021-09-12
    • ASB Security string 2021-09-05
    • microG 0.2.22.212658-2

2021-08-07
    • ASB Security string 2021-08-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 92.0.4515.134
    • F-Droid updated to 1.13
    • Fix in WiFi randomization

2021-07-10
    • ASB Security string 2021-07-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 91.0.4472.146
    • microG 0.2.21.212158-2
    • AuroraStore 4.0.7

2021-06-14
    • ASB Security string 2021-06-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 91.0.4472.102
    • microG 0.2.19211515-9

2021-05-11
    • ASB Security string 2021-05-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 90.0.4430.204
    • microG upstreamed (no version upgrade)
    • Update: AuroraServices 1.1.1

2021-04-13
    • ASB Security string 2021-04-01
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 90.0.4430.59
    • F-Droid updated to 1.12
    • Update: AuroraStore 4.0.4 with AuroraServices 1.1.0

2021-03-08
    • Security string 2021-03-05
    • Bromite System webview updated to 88.0.4324.207
    • Bromite Browser updated to 88.0.4324.207
    • F-Droid 1.11
    • microG 0.2.18.204714

2021-02-15
    • Security string 2021-02-05
    • Bromite System webview updated to 88.0.4324.141
    • Bromite Browser updated to 88.0.4324.141
    • F-Droid 1.10-alpha-234
    • microG 0.2.17.204714-5

2021-01-15 - Initial build
    • Pre-installed microG (0.2.16.204713-10) and F-Droid like the LineageOS for microG project (own fork)
    • Pre-installed AuroraStore
    • Bromite as default browser (87.0.4280.131)
    • eSpeak TTS engine (FOSS TTS solution)
    • Additional security hardening features listed below
    • Cloudflare as default DNS (instead of Google)
    • Privacy-preferred default settings
    • Optional blocking of Facebook- and Google-Tracking (Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Optional disable captive portal detection or choose from various providers (default is GrapheneOS and not Google; Settings - Network & Internet)
    • Firewall UI (under Trust)
    • Increased max. password length of 64
    • No submission of IMSI/phone number to Google when GPS is in use
    • Default hosts file with many blocked ad/tracking sites
    • Privacy-enhanced Bromite SystemWebView (87.0.4280.131)
    • Extra control of sensor access for additionally installed user apps (Special access under app permissions)
    • Constified JNI method tables
    Hi all,
    I have now re-activated my LineageOS 16.0 Osprey thread and published a microG build for 16.0.
    You can download it from here.

To switch over, you need to do a clean-flash. In the updated / reworked OP of that thread, you will find more information.

Please continue here to give feedback and/or discuss the 17.1 build of this thread and ask questions in regards to switching over to 16.0.

For anything else, I am looking forward to seeing you in my re-opened 16.0 thread.

Cheers, M.
    New build with April 2021 sec. patches available

Hi all, a new build is available and already offered as OTA update through the Updater app:
    • ASB Security string 2021-04-05
    • Bromite System Webview and Browser updated to 90.0.4430.59
    • F-Droid updated to 1.12
    • Update: AuroraStore 4.0.4 with AuroraServices 1.1.0

Regarding AuroraStore:
    This is a major update, in case of weird havior of Aurora, go to Settings - apps, pick the AuroraStore app and delete memory and cache.

Happy flashing, regards - M.