How To Guide [CLOSED] Firmware is out! Get your root on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
What is the difference between 12.0.0 (SQ1D.211205.016.A1, Dec 2021) and 12.0.0 (SQ1D.211205.017, Dec 2021, US carriers).

My phone is bootloader unlocked. I was planning to flash 12.0.0 (SQ1D.211205.016.A1, Dec 2021), but maybe I should use the other version.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on which source to use with a Bootloader unlocked phone on Verizon?
According to this Telegram post I found in the P6 group

1639430389440-png.5481565

the .016.A1 version is for Canada, so the .017 US version should be the one you need.

MArtyChubbs

What is the difference between 12.0.0 (SQ1D.211205.016.A1, Dec 2021) and 12.0.0 (SQ1D.211205.017, Dec 2021, US carriers).

My phone is bootloader unlocked. I was planning to flash 12.0.0 (SQ1D.211205.016.A1, Dec 2021), but maybe I should use the other version.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on which source to use with a Bootloader unlocked phone on Verizon?
They make is super easy.... See US carriers listed for .017? Verizon is a US carrier. Bingo!

MArtyChubbs

Can't even wait a day for the devs to figure out ro
I haven't flashed yet as I was waiting on confirmation of which variant to use for an unlocked phone bought directly from Google.

If root is not working now with Dec patch, then I guess I won't be updating and will have to likely sell the phone.
I haven't flashed yet as I was waiting on confirmation of which variant to use for an unlocked phone bought directly from Google.

If root is not working now with Dec patch, then I guess I won't be updating and will have to likely sell the phone.
Don't sell it for less, get you money back from Google. Please don't wait any longer!! Please follow up with Google they said they would refund your purchase, right? Take the deal, I would if I were you. Get rid of that trash phone... Don't miss the opportunity!! I'm saying this because I care...

Reactions: mmarcz

Starzboy77

Jun 30, 2010
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Don't sell it for less, get you money back from Google. Please don't wait any longer!! Please follow up with Google they said they would refund your purchase, right? Take the deal, I would if I were you. Get rid of that trash phone... Don't miss the opportunity!! I'm saying this because I care...
I sense a lot of sarcasm and that's fine. I'll do what I need to do when ready.

cd993

May 8, 2009
London
OnePlus 12
Yes, those are the steps that are in the first post. There's probably been a change to the boot scripts.

Ah sorry, I should have been clearer. I mean to say I've been using the same magisk version for a while now and have always disregarded the option to update the app via the inbuilt Magisk option.

But indeed, I just did and tried patching it with the latest, still no root....

I'm sure it won't be long for the devs to sort it :)

Reactions: Jiggs82

dilligaf56

Feb 22, 2011
SoCal, USA
Finally got off the waitlist and ordered my phone today....won't be here for 6 weeks :-(
Will be following this and the SafetyNet thread - hope it's still rootable by then.
Coming from a rooted LG V20 (with working Google Pay) - it's been a few years since I've had to root. It looks like the Pixel devices are easier but there may be some obstacles?
Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

banshee28

Aug 31, 2010
So about to get started here, T mobile phone. Since the Dec update is not yet holding root, I think the Nov update would be where I should start. Is this correct:?
12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.037, Nov 2021)

Nergal di Cuthah

Sep 20, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So about to get started here, T mobile phone. Since the Dec update is not yet holding root, I think the Nov update would be where I should start. Is this correct:?
12.0.0 (SD1A.210817.037, Nov 2021)
There is a working debug version of magisk that works, but yeah if you want to play it safe for a day or so while we await the final comit to the next canary build do november's 37 as you say

Reactions: banshee28

banshee28

Aug 31, 2010
Nice! So I think this worked perfectly so far. No issues. I do however notice a message when the bootloader boots that its unlocked, but it still proceeds to boot. I have Magisk installed and superuser access seems to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 12/15/21: Magisk 23016 incorporates fixes for vbmeta header patching; disabling verity/verification is no longer necessary. Update and root should work as it always has - simply patch and flash the boot image.

Any update method can be used. If you've already disabled verity/verification, simply don't worry about it at next update; no need to re-enable.

I am closing this thread.

On Android 12, boot verification must be disabled in order to run a patched boot image. Unfortunately, if you have never disabled it before, it will require you to wipe data. To be clear:
    PERMANENT ROOT CURRENTLY REQUIRES A DATA WIPE.
    However, if you don't want to lose your data, you can "live boot" the patched image as long as /vbmeta and /boot are stock. This will allow you to use temporary root. DO NOT attempt to Direct Install Magisk to the boot image.

For subsequent updates, it is imperative that you do not allow the device to boot into system before you have disabled Verified Boot.

What this means: If you sideload the OTA, IMMEDIATELY reboot to bootloader and reflash /vbmeta with --disable-verity and --disable-verification. If you dirty flash the factory image, make sure you add these two switches to the command.

If you fail to do this, and allow the device to boot into system, you WILL have to wipe data to disable it again.

IF YOU ARE ROOTED, DO NOT USE AUTOMATIC UPDATES AS THIS WILL REFLASH /VBMETA WITHOUT DISABLING BOOT VERIFICATION!

Factory Images

OTA Images

Latest Magisk Canary

1. On your device, enable Developer Options (tap build number 8 times), and enable the OEM Unlocking toggle. Reboot to bootloader:
    2. Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
    3. Unlock bootloader:
      Code:
      fastboot flashing unlock
    4. Download the latest factory image and extract it. Inside, you will find the bootloader image, the radio image, and the image-device-buildnumber.zip. Extract boot.img and vbmeta.img from this zip.
    5. Flash vbmeta:
      Code:
      fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification <drag and drop vbmeta.img>
    6. Allow the device to boot into Android. Once you have Magisk installed, copy the boot.img and patch it in Magisk, then copy it back to your PC.
    7. Reboot to bootloader.
    8. Flash patched boot image:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot <drag and drop magisk_patched-23xxx_xxxxx.img>
    9. Reboot into system.

1. Download the latest factory image and extract it. Inside, you will find the bootloader image, the radio image, and the image-device-buildnumber.zip. Extract boot.img from this zip.
    2. Reboot to bootloader.
    3. Update bootloader and radio if they are out of date. BE CAREFUL, A MISTAKE CAN BRICK YOUR DEVICE! If you update the bootloader, remember to reboot back to bootloader so that the update reads the correct bootloader version.
    4. Update system:
      Code:
      fastboot update --disable-verity --disable-verification <drag and drop image-device-buildnumber.zip here>
      Note: If you get an error for bootloader/radio version, this means you need to update bootloader and/or radio; go back to step 3.
    5. Allow the device to boot into Android. Copy the boot.img and patch it in Magisk, then copy it back to your PC.
    6. Reboot to bootloader.
    7. Flash patched boot image:
      Code:
      fastboot flash boot <drag and drop magisk_patched-23xxx_xxxxx.img>
    8. Reboot into system.

I personally do not recommend updating via OTA Sideload, as you would have to download and extract the factory zip anyway. AUTOMATIC OTA WILL LOSE ROOT AND REQUIRE A WIPE TO ROOT AGAIN.
    1. Sideload the OTA. When complete, IMMEDIATELY reboot to bootloader.
    2. Reflash vbmeta:
      Code:
      fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification <vbmeta.img>
    3. Boot to system and allow the update to complete.
    4. Patch and flash the boot image.

Note: If you run into a bootloader message
    failed to load/verify boot images
    this means you forgot to disable verity and verification. Reflash vbmeta with the --disable options.

If you run into this recovery message
    1636658711744.png

This means that verity and verification were not disabled before, and a wipe is required to proceed.
    So, what exactly are then the steps to flash the OTA without losing root and without wiping everything again? :D
    Currently I'm with Magisk Alpha (Safetynet passed) on .015 firmware.
    1. Download both the OTA AND the factory zips.
    2. Extract boot.img and vbmeta.img from the factory zip.
    3. Patch the new boot.img in Magisk and copy it back to your PC.
    4. Reboot into recovery and sideload the OTA
    Code:
    adb reboot sideload
    adb sideload ota.zip
    5. When the update completes, you'll still be in recovery. DO NOT REBOOT. Select "Enter fastboot"
    6. In fastboot, flash vbmeta:
    Code:
    fastboot flash vbmeta --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta.img
    7. Now flash boot:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched-23xxx_xxxxx.img
    8. Reboot, you should come into the new update with root.

Remember: You get ONE CHANCE, and ONE CHANCE ONLY to flash /vbmeta while in fastboot. If you do something wrong, you will either have to wipe data, or go without root.
    015 rooted to 036 no wipe update
    1. Download the factory image.
    2. Copy boot.img to your phone. Patch with Magisk.
    3. Edit Flash-all.bat
      remove -w and add --disable
      fastboot update --disable-verity --disable-verification image-raven-sd1a.210817.036.zip
    4. Run Flash-all.bat
    5. Boot (don't flash) patched image
      fastboot boot magisk_patched-xxxxx.img
    6. Launch Magisk and tap Install, then Direct Install.
    I think you made the same mistake as me, you extracted the factory image archive, and tried to patch the resulting bootloader-raven-slider-XXXXX.img directly thinking it was the file to patch as it began by "boot" and had the ".img" extension.
    If that's the case, from the factory archive extraction you have to then extract the image-raven-XXXXXXX.zip archive, containing the final "boot.img" file to patch.

@V0latyle you may want to develop a little bit this part in the OT tutorial, as we might won't be the only ones making this mistake ;)
    In all fairness, this is exactly what my instructions are:
    1. Download the factory image. Extract it, then extract the raven-image.zip inside it
    2. Copy boot.img to your phone. Patch with Magisk, then copy patched image back to PC.

I'm not really trying to make something idiot proof, there's a certain point where limited knowledge and experience is a good reason to NOT try something. If you're unlocking your phone and messing with software, you SHOULD know what you're doing, and at the very least how to fix it if something goes wrong. This forum is not official support, no one here bears any liability whatsoever, and I don't want to give inexperienced and unfamiliar people the impression they can do something that's way outside of their realm of understanding - just like I wouldn't tell someone how to service their brakes if they don't know the difference between a jack and a jackstand.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you mistake the bootloader image for the boot image, you probably shouldn't be doing any modifications to your device.