Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DespairFactor

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Mission:
The purpose of this project is to increase efficiency of the Pixel 7 series devices by merging functional patches with minimal bloat.

If you submit bug reports without a log, you may be prosecuted...or executed.

Disclaimer:
If your device fails to comply with your standards of what you consider functioning, I am not liable. This is provided free of charge and does not come with a warranty. Although, if you provide a log, I can provide some sort of assurance that I will look into your issue.

You must have verity and verification disable to flash this for the time being!

To do so you will need to flash vbmeta.img using the command below followed by wiping the device.

fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img --disable-verity --disable-verification

Installation:

-Download ZIP for kernel and extract
-Use the below commands to flash from bootloader/fastboot

-fastboot reboot bootloader
-fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
-fastboot flash boot boot.img
-fastboot flash vendor_kernel_boot vendor__kernel_boot.img
-fastboot reboot fastboot
-fastboot flash vendor_dlkm vendor_dlkm.img
Links:

Downloads:
MOD EDIT: DOWNLOAD LINKS REMOVED

Source:

https://github.com/DespairFactor/pantah

Credits:
Google

Last edited by a moderator:
A question, for curiosity sake...
*because it is coming from a very ignorant, noob place

With the change of Magisk now needing to patch the boot_init instead of the usual boot.img, would your kernel need to make the same adjustments? I was just looking at your directions and saw the command line for fastboot flashing boot, and I've been obsessively on the How To guide and there is a certain need of a sensitivity to flashing to the boot instead of the boot_init right now while the initial word gets out of the change...
I also mention this because it seems that this was developed under the Pixel 6 and all your documentation still seem to point to that device still....so....

i have absolutely no experience in kernel building and only dabbled in employing using custom kernels in the past, so I may have no idea what I'm talking about....i was just wondering if it's a possibility or eventuality...

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
You're source is nill if you didn't notice. And just a bit of an edit needed dude.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221014-183311.png
    Screenshot_20221014-183311.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 474
  • Screenshot_20221014-183349.png
    Screenshot_20221014-183349.png
    267.7 KB · Views: 473

DespairFactor

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
A question, for curiosity sake...
*because it is coming from a very ignorant, noob place

With the change of Magisk now needing to patch the boot_init instead of the usual boot.img, would your kernel need to make the same adjustments? I was just looking at your directions and saw the command line for fastboot flashing boot, and I've been obsessively on the How To guide and there is a certain need of a sensitivity to flashing to the boot instead of the boot_init right now while the initial word gets out of the change...
I also mention this because it seems that this was developed under the Pixel 6 and all your documentation still seem to point to that device still....so....

i have absolutely no experience in kernel building and only dabbled in employing using custom kernels in the past, so I may have no idea what I'm talking about....i was just wondering if it's a possibility or eventuality...
the init_boot is not touched with this so that magisk image that you flashed is untouched! I am hoping to get AnyKernel working soon enough or maybe another dev will hop on it and beat me to it. There is a bit of a problem with how our images are made for this device and how AnyKernel works from the stuff I have tested today.

capntrips

Aug 29, 2020
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6
I am hoping to get AnyKernel working soon enough or maybe another dev will hop on it and beat me to it. There is a bit of a problem with how our images are made for this device and how AnyKernel works from the stuff I have tested today.
Would you mind elaborating on that? I'm working on an update to Kernel Flasher, and I'm considering taking a stab at wrapping this kernel in AK3 for testing purposes.

I suppose with init_boot being untouched, one obvious change would be preventing it from patching boot. Would that and adding vendor_kernel_boot into the mix be enough, you think?

Edit: I managed to get it to flash and work with AK3 with verity disabled, but simply patching the hashtree descriptor for vendor_dlkm in vbmeta wasn't enough to get it to work with verity enabled.

Last edited:

cultofluna

Nov 25, 2015
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 7
Would you mind elaborating on that? I'm working on an update to Kernel Flasher, and I'm considering taking a stab at wrapping this kernel in AK3 for testing purposes.

I suppose with init_boot being untouched, one obvious change would be preventing it from patching boot. Would that and adding vendor_kernel_boot into the mix be enough, you think?

Edit: I managed to get it to flash and work with AK3 with verity disabled, but simply patching the hashtree descriptor for vendor_dlkm in vbmeta wasn't enough to get it to work with verity enabled.
So you've packed this kernel on AK3 , flashed through your flasher app and it boots?..( i have also verity disabled )

DespairFactor

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

init_boot and vendor_boot go untouched, think of vendor_kernel_boot as more or less the replacement for vendor_boot. How did you manage to get this to work? I think AVB is now tied to init_boot and vendor_boot only for now based on what I saw in the fstab.

Gordietm

Sep 11, 2012
Toronto
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Just uploaded a 1.02 build to fix a couple issues. This is using the manual flashing method until I can get confirmation on what is needed for AK3 to work. After I have this information I will make it into an AK3 zip.
Will we always have to disable verity on this phone for custom kernels to work or will you eventually figure out a way around it?
I really don't feel like wiping my phone. 🙂

Reactions: swieder711

DespairFactor

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Will we always have to disable verity on this phone for custom kernels to work or will you eventually figure out a way around it?
I really don't feel like wiping my phone. 🙂
There may be a way around it, we rely on capntrips to help us on this journey. He helped us do it on the Pixel 6 devices. For now, I will keep mine disabled and probably will going forward to avoid any issues.

swieder711

It's great to see a custom kernel for the P7P. Is there a description of the changes in the kernel? I'm coming from the P6P and the Kiri kernel.

After spending 2 days setting up my device, I'm hesitant about wiping. Hopefully there will be a way to flash this kernel with out changing verification.

DespairFactor

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
It's great to see a custom kernel for the P7P. Is there a description of the changes in the kernel? I'm coming from the P6P and the Kiri kernel.

After spending 2 days setting up my device, I'm hesitant about wiping. Hopefully there will be a way to flash this kernel with out changing verification.
They are on GitHub, it's pretty close to the stuff I added on my 6 kernels. I have added SSG IOSCHED as well. I cannot list all the changes at the moment. Feel free to check GitHub commit history for the time being.

EDIT: One thing to note, because of the complaints of display being heavy on battery usage, I undervolted the display a little bit, we will have to see how this fares for battery usage. I didn't go crazy with it because we need to maintain stability of the device especially when there can be different binnings.
Does it still hold true that a wipe isn't needed when disabling only verity? I think capntrips mentioned only disabling verity and not verification as well.

Regardless, I disabled both of them on my 1st flash when getting this phone and will keep them that way going forward like I did with Raven, because things ... :)
I had to disable verification cause I manually flashed. We would need him to confirm or have someone with that setup test.

Last edited:

DespairFactor

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
thanks for the quick release!
I did not disable verity when I did my bootloader unlock and root and dont feel like starting from scatch again so will wait to see if it gets fixed with AK3. if not then will wait until I have time to do a full wipe
I think capntrips will be looking into this over the coming week. You can disable Verity without wiping, but not verification. If he managed to get it to work with just Verity disabled that is good enough for me as it's rather simple to disable even if you forget to after an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mission:
    The purpose of this project is to increase efficiency of the Pixel 7 series devices by merging functional patches with minimal bloat.

If you submit bug reports without a log, you may be prosecuted...or executed.

Disclaimer:
    If your device fails to comply with your standards of what you consider functioning, I am not liable. This is provided free of charge and does not come with a warranty. Although, if you provide a log, I can provide some sort of assurance that I will look into your issue.

You must have verity and verification disable to flash this for the time being!

To do so you will need to flash vbmeta.img using the command below followed by wiping the device.

fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img --disable-verity --disable-verification

Installation:

-Download ZIP for kernel and extract
    -Use the below commands to flash from bootloader/fastboot

-fastboot reboot bootloader
    -fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
    -fastboot flash boot boot.img
    -fastboot flash vendor_kernel_boot vendor__kernel_boot.img
    -fastboot reboot fastboot
    -fastboot flash vendor_dlkm vendor_dlkm.img
    Links:

Downloads:
    MOD EDIT: DOWNLOAD LINKS REMOVED

Source:

https://github.com/DespairFactor/pantah

Credits:
    Google
    The kernel flashed just fine through EXKM and even Franco (which is even more dated).
    Hey now, EXKM is not dated, it's had like ten updates this year

Anyway, I've made the flasher tool in a way that can handle almost anything. Usually only the AK3 zip needs to be updated for new devices
    I have rebased the kernel, lowered the voltage a bit more.

Release is 1.06
    Instead of factory reset I rebooted into bootloader and simply reflashed the magisk'd init_boot and bam back up and running 🤘
    Just uploaded a 1.02 build to fix a couple issues. This is using the manual flashing method until I can get confirmation on what is needed for AK3 to work. After I have this information I will make it into an AK3 zip.