• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[CLOSED] LTE/Volte fix for Verizon or other Carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bobo31

Oct 20, 2011
I'm sorry, I have long since moved on from this phone. I could never find a way to simplify the method, and I do not have the time to guide or troubleshoot at this time.

The only advice I can give is to find the modem iso image from the US XZ2C (I don't remember the location of this file). You then mount the image and find the folder that holds the Mbn files. You will have to compare both the XZ2P Mbn files to know the file structure that they must go in. You need the text file that has the mapping as well as the group of folders associated with Verizon. Then, the phone will recognize Verizon and no further work is needed.

Root is required as well. I could only place the files using a root explorer after flashing the normal firmware for the XZ2P. Or this could be done is TWRP.

Again, I do not work on this phone anymore and cannot offer further guidance.

I will request that this thread be closed.
Thank you !!! I really appreciate you getting back to me I do have my bootloader unlocked and I am rooted through magisk, I was looking through the files that you were talking about and I was playing around with them last night I have LTE 4G connectivity with a full Verizon card at this moment but talk and text don't work I can send picture messages in that weird well thank you for your time I guess some I'll try to figure out something but if you happen to think of anything please drop them PM me whatever I'm not trying to make a big thing for you to wear people are asking you a bunch of questions or anything like that I appreciate you and the work that you do

bobo31

Oct 20, 2011
Thank you !!! I really appreciate you getting back to me I do have my bootloader unlocked and I am rooted through magisk, I was looking through the files that you were talking about and I was playing around with them last night I have LTE 4G connectivity with a full Verizon card at this moment but talk and text don't work I can send picture messages in that weird well thank you for your time I guess some I'll try to figure out something but if you happen to think of anything please drop them PM me whatever I'm not trying to make a big thing for you to wear people are asking you a bunch of questions or anything like that I appreciate you and the work that you do
But I'll tell you this if you give me any instructions I can follow them I bought the phone for $150 $175 second hand so it does it mean much to me I can follow directions if you happen to just find 20 minutes to just relay them to me and I am responsible for whatever happens to the phone literally seriously completely just asking

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+
But I'll tell you this if you give me any instructions I can follow them I bought the phone for $150 $175 second hand so it does it mean much to me I can follow directions if you happen to just find 20 minutes to just relay them to me and I am responsible for whatever happens to the phone literally seriously completely just asking

The only way is to extract those string of folders from the XZ2C (and mapping.txt) and place them in the same place that the XZ2P stores them. I believe it may be in vendor after you are in root explorer. You must mount the image from the XZ2c to get them though. No Verizon files exist for the XZ2P in any of it's firmware. The MBN for Verizon only is in the XZ2C's firmware.

That's all I remember though. I recently had my first child, so I just haven't had much time to tinker on these things. I really am sorry for all of those that were waiting on me. Maybe that guidance will help someone more capable than me to make a guide.

bobo31

Oct 20, 2011
The only way is to extract those string of folders from the XZ2C (and mapping.txt) and place them in the same place that the XZ2P stores them. I believe it may be in vendor after you are in root explorer. You must mount the image from the XZ2c to get them though. No Verizon files exist for the XZ2P in any of it's firmware. The MBN for Verizon only is in the XZ2C's firmware.

That's all I remember though. I recently had my first child, so I just haven't had much time to tinker on these things. I really am sorry for all of those that were waiting on me. Maybe that guidance will help someone more capable than me to make a guide.
Thank you so much You're more help than you know and congratulations on the little one I've got four girls and one boy and the oldest is 18 well thank you so much I believe I found the file that you're talking about and vendor like I said again thank you so much!!! And if you live here in the United States or even if you don't if you need help with anything please let me know. Just being concerned father and friend that's all!!!😠

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Thank you so much You're more help than you know and congratulations on the little one I've got four girls and one boy and the oldest is 18 well thank you so much I believe I found the file that you're talking about and vendor like I said again thank you so much!!! And if you live here in the United States or even if you don't if you need help with anything please let me know. Just being concerned father and friend that's all!!!😠
Awesome man, I'm glad you were able to locate it. Thank you as well. Congratulations to yourself also, that's a nice family you have. Maybe you can get everything figured out though. Take care.

Reactions: bobo31

bobo31

Oct 20, 2011
I'll let you know how it goes if you don't mind thanks again you don't have to reply

bobo31

Oct 20, 2011
I'll let you know how it goes if you don't mind thanks again you don't have to reply
Hey I did some playing around they just made my phone going to a boothoo so I'm downloading the firmware again the original and downloading the US version of the XZ2 compact and I'm going to try to again I was using another firmware US firmware didn't quite make it so I'm going to try this and see what it does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MBN file location in Android 10 for Pixel 2:
    Code:
    /vendor/mbn/mcfg/configs/mcfg_sw/generic/EU/Vodafone/VoLTE/Germany/mcfg_sw.mbn

Something interesting that I have found is that the mbn files are indeed stored in the modem. After opening the modem.img, the path to Verizon's mbn is:
    mcfg_sw/generic/row/verizon/vl/us/mcfg_sw.mbn

While having the original modem with the US firmware for the Dual Sim XZ2 Premium, the file is missing in the image. However, I did just flash the modem from the XZ2 Compact, and I found the mapping in a text file located in: /data/vendor/modem_config/mcfg_sw.txt. Inside the modem_config folder along with the mcfg_sw.txt are two other files: mapping.txt and mbn_sw.dig. I am unsure of the purpose of these two files.

So I feel that I am a step farther than I was. I just need to figure out how the system tells the phone to use that mapping. On the dual sim phones there are no modem_config folder in the OEM partition. Does anyone know how the system decides what mbn to use?

*Edit* I actually found the mbn. It is located in /data/vendor/modem_config/mcfg_sw/generic/row/verizon/vl/us/mcfg_sw.mbn. I guess the mapping is there to decide what to use. In my mind I just want to copy the mcfg_sw.mbm to every single extension to make sure it takes, but I'm sure that wouldn't work.
    *Solved*
    Okay, I managed to get the XZ2 Premium working 100% with Verizon now. I will place a guide when I have a little more time. It requires the bootloader to be unlocked as well as root. I have Volte, MMS, IMS provisioning, as well as LTE. The process is very easy despite it taking me days and hours figuring it out. Thank you for those who answered all of my questions and replying to PMs.
    I am curious if it is possible to allow for Verizon to be provisioned on the XZ2 Premium. I know that it is possible on the XZ2 (regular model) on older firmware by flashing the OEM.sin partition from the XZ2 Compact as it is certified by Verizon. I believe that this was done on older firmware however, due to the files being placed differently on Android 10. The XZ2 family all have the same source code and same file structure it seems. So maybe this would be possible.

Things I have tried:

Following this thread I followed the instructions provided on older firmware getting T-mobile volte support for the XZ1 devices.

-I tried flashing the OEM.sin partition from the certified XZ2 compact without any success.

-I temp rooted my device and tried placing the files manually as well in the modem folder. However on previous builds such as in the thread linked above, the .mbn files looked to be labeled differently. I do not have the files in front of me at the moment, but I will insert them here when I can later tonight possibly.

-The mbn files look to be structured in a file format such as general/row/verizon....mbn

-I de-compiled the modem.img in the modem of the XZ2 compact and it did seem to be the same file extension listed in the OEM/modem section (General/row/***). I found Verizon listed in the XZ2 compact's modem but did not see it in any of the modems of the XZ2 Premium. I'm not sure if this is going to be a major issue on getting it provisioned or not.

-I did also attempt to flash the modem as well as OEM from the XZ2 Compact on the XZ2 Premium with newflasher, but in the software it only showed "Unknown" for the modem information in the dialer code.

I will admit that I am not knowledgeable when it comes to Sony devices as this is the first one I have owned. I am unlocking my bootloader tonight, so I will have access to any file system in the phone for reference. I think that this could essentially help other carriers with provisioning as well if someone can assist in figuring out how to get it working. Thank you for anyone who tries to help.
    @SGH-i200
    I do have my TA partition backed up, but there currently is no way to restore it on the XZ2. There was an advisory on the temp root thread by the maintainer/create there that created the restore function for the previous devices. The thread is located here.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/xp...-xz2c-xz2p-xz3-temp-root-exploit-via-t4099131
    I am planning on unlocking it anyways though as the camera seems to be functional on Android 10 with the bootloader unlocked.

Concerning the modem files, I actually tried flashing the XZ2 Compacts modem image itself as they have basically the same file structure. I flashed with newflasher without any errors (as I planned on unlocking the bootloader anyways if it went bad). It booted fine, but maybe the mismatched file system didn't allow for it to work properly. Also yes, it stated unknown in the Current modem config area in the Sony Service menu.

Regarding the Modem config needed, I can post the exact information tonight when I get home. Or I may need to go to the XZ2 Compact section and ask a Verizon user what is being shown in that menu.

From what I can tell, the file structure when selecting modem mdn files are way different than Oreo and Nougat. Instead of just having an Mdn like "tmobile_us_ims" in the modem folder in the OEM folder, there is a generic looking file with a mdn extention. When you open the mdn, there is a file system written in like "generic/row/verizon/....". At the end of the string of folders there is a single "modem.mdn" file in the last folder. Again, I can post the specifics tonight on the exact location and file structure of everything.

Is there anything that I can pull from the phone to be helpful in this process?

Also, I possibly should have posted this thread in the XZ2 forum. There is no talk of Verizon being able to be provisioned on the XZ2 using the compact files, but I have spoken with a couple of people that did it on an earlier android using the method posted in the Tmobile Lte/Volte thread substituting the xz2 Compact oem.sin. This may help them as well.
    Thread closed on request of OP @jal3223 who doesn't own the device anymore.