[CLOSED][RECOVERY] TWRP for Galaxy S8 (Exynos)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mwilky

Recognized Developer
Feb 21, 2011
Manchester
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
All work belongs to @jesec - original thread here

All i have done is repacked with the required files for the G950.

@Jesec original OP is below.

Thread under construction.
Team Win Recovery Project 3.1.0-r1

Confirmed working on Korean and International variant. Should also work on other Exynos variants.
NOTE: YOU MUST ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options) BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

As kernel source is not released, some features such as MTP are not available for now.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Download: (Flash via Odin)
dreamlteks (Korean version - SM-G950N) (compatiable with International version - SM-G950F/FD):

HOW-TO ROOT AND/OR DISABLE ENCRYPTION/DM-CRYPT:
I noticed that it could be really difficult to operate when /data partition is encrypted (can't view your internal storage from TWRP) and MTP/ADB is unavailable (can't transfer files from computer to phone).
So I included 2 flashable zips in recovery image itself.
They are located in /twres/flashables/.

To disable encryption/dm-crypt, just simply flash "no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip". It will disable dm-crypt and make /data encryption optional. Then you can go to Wipe menu to wipe your /data partition to finally disable encryption.

To root, just simply flash "Magisk-v12.0-arm64.zip". It will install Magisk on your phone.

XDA:DevDB Information
[RECOVERY] TWRP for Galaxy S8 (Exynos), Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
mwilky, jesec

Version Information

Created 2017-04-23
Last Updated 2017-04-23

Kevin_R

Sep 6, 2008
As mentioned in the S8+ thread, I'm using the G950F and can get into TWRP fine. But once there, the touch-screen doesn't respond.

JHalliday0

Dec 5, 2009
Thank you for your quick work.

I can't flash anything because my phone can't mount /data in recovery. I don't know why tried various methodes

EDIT: a full wipe made the job, working perfectly! Thank you

Last edited:

adz3d

Apr 9, 2011
Anyone tried Android Pay with Magisk to confirm it works?

Aside from that awesome work!

ISF

Apr 6, 2012
București
www.youtube.com
@mwilky I made a detailed tutorial on how to install TWRP and ROOT the Galaxy S8 on YouTube. It would be great if you could put it in the first post so people can easily see how to flash and root their device. Thanks a lot for your implication, I got my device 5 days ago and now it's completely ROOTED. Long live XDA Developers!

Kevin_R

Sep 6, 2008
Used the updated link and now it's working perfectly. Can even use my banking apps which used to always manage to detect root! Thanks for getting us root so quickly!

nerddd

Jul 4, 2014
You can backup apps with data with Helium before wiping, saving some hours of manual restoration of app settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All work belongs to @jesec - original thread here

All i have done is repacked with the required files for the G950.

@Jesec original OP is below.

Thread under construction.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.1.0-r1

Confirmed working on Korean and International variant. Should also work on other Exynos variants.
    NOTE: YOU MUST ENABLE "OEM UNLOCK" (located in Developers options) BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

As kernel source is not released, some features such as MTP are not available for now.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Download: (Flash via Odin)
    dreamlteks (Korean version - SM-G950N) (compatiable with International version - SM-G950F/FD):

HOW-TO ROOT AND/OR DISABLE ENCRYPTION/DM-CRYPT:
    I noticed that it could be really difficult to operate when /data partition is encrypted (can't view your internal storage from TWRP) and MTP/ADB is unavailable (can't transfer files from computer to phone).
    So I included 2 flashable zips in recovery image itself.
    They are located in /twres/flashables/.

To disable encryption/dm-crypt, just simply flash "no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip". It will disable dm-crypt and make /data encryption optional. Then you can go to Wipe menu to wipe your /data partition to finally disable encryption.

To root, just simply flash "Magisk-v12.0-arm64.zip". It will install Magisk on your phone.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [RECOVERY] TWRP for Galaxy S8 (Exynos), Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S8

Contributors
    mwilky, jesec

Version Information

Created 2017-04-23
    Last Updated 2017-04-23
    @mwilky I made a detailed tutorial on how to install TWRP and ROOT the Galaxy S8 on YouTube. It would be great if you could put it in the first post so people can easily see how to flash and root their device. Thanks a lot for your implication, I got my device 5 days ago and now it's completely ROOTED. Long live XDA Developers!

So how do you get into Download mode or Recovery mode in the S8 with no hard home button? Haven't seen that definitively answered anywhere.

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/youtube-guide-how-to-enter-exit-t3594947