Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I don't care but not enough to skip voting

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

krazykrivda

Sep 2, 2009
Philidelphia
***UPDATE (8/25/11): This donation thread/link is now to help get the device for DJRBliss. If he is able to achieve root, he plans on keeping the device, so no funds will be returned. However, he has agreed to resell, and return money based on the percentage of the original donation- IF someone else achieves root in an unrelated effort.

Please donate with the expectation to NOT get any money back, and get ROOT instead! Again, nothing can be promised!

www.KrazyKrivda.com - Donate link and our root attempts.***

I am starting to consider taking a few extra risks and try to get this phone rooted, but since I need a reliable device for work Im considering an extra phone to work on.

I may pu up a link and ask for a "temporary donation." I would use the money to purchase a new phone to work with. Once the phone is rooted, whether by me or someone else, I will resell the device on ebay, or through the community and return money to those who originally donated.

I will only be able to return money based on percentage. Ex. If you donate 100 for a 500 device (20%), and I resell device for only 300, you will only get 60 back. *I do not ask that anyone give 100, just as a for example.*

I think it best to do it this way because I cannot promise that your donation or contribution will lead to me rooting the D3.

Feedback welcome.

-KrazyKrivda

A sidenote - #KrazyK irc is now registered, and I advise anyone with knowhow, decent ideas, and the ability to assist the droid 3 root cause to join and discuss. Please, do not join merely for updates, general gossip and such, as they will still be posted in the threads here. I would like to keep the discussion as on topic and on task as possible to expedite the possibility of root.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

Last edited:

jweber228

Aug 1, 2011
I would be willing to throw some money in on this. I've also seen several people on droidforums that would probably donate also. A lot of people want root really really bad (me included).

krazykrivda

Sep 2, 2009
Philidelphia
How and where to donate?

I will wait a few days to see if it is worth asking for donations. I'm more than willing to throw some of my own $$ in. Hopefully we get root in a few days and this is unnecessary.

If not, and we have positive response for this, I will post a link midweek.

**NOTE: I still am in NO way guaranteeing I can root this device. Just hoping to improve the chances.

toaday

Jul 15, 2010
Seattle
According to your post history, you seem to know your stuff, and I'd be glad to throw a couple bills your way, but have you contributed to the rooting of any other devices? Please forgive my ignorance on the matter.

krazykrivda

Sep 2, 2009
Philidelphia
According to your post history, you seem to know your stuff, and I'd be glad to throw a couple bills your way, but have you contributed to the rooting of any other devices? Please forgive my ignorance on the matter.

I have rooted other devices however I am in no way responsible for the method of rooting them. In terms of contribution to the android community thus far I have worked on and created a few themes, as well as some small modifications to the cm source code when I was using my original droid.

I openly admit I am not as skilled as many other developers out there however I am probably 1 of the most persistent 1s and tend not be able to drop something until what I want is accomplished. Feel free to ask anyone in the irc/forums.. I know I tend to get annoying ;-).

saintlikesniper

Nov 11, 2010
Well krazykrivda I commend you and sincerely hope you get this phone rooted. And im sure some other devs could help if you ask enough. Lol I hope you get this donate link up. Every one is willing to support you it doesn't matter if you succeed or not as long as you have the same want we do.

toaday

Jul 15, 2010
Seattle
Well, I can contribute $200, because root for this device is very important to me. If the value of the phone goes beyond where it is right now due to the phone being rooted, you could totally keep the difference. However, if it gets bricked, well... it gets bricked. I understand that that's a possibility.

Out of curiosity... have you ever bricked a phone before?

krazykrivda

Sep 2, 2009
Philidelphia

Ha, no I have not, but I've always had recovery or an sbf in worst case scenarios.

To truly brick a phone is quite difficult, and once an sbf, root, or other means are out... chances are most "bricked" devices would be fully recoverable.

And assuming I do get a test phone.. I will keep it in box as long as possible, taking chances on current device. This way I may be able to return/or sell NIB decreasing chances of losing value.

This is not for me to make $$ off of... now if I do achieve root I doubt I would turn down monetary thank yous? ;-) *wishful thinking*

Reactions: toaday

superkeest

Mar 28, 2010
I have rooted other devices however I am in no way responsible for the method of rooting them. In terms of contribution to the android community thus far I have worked on and created a few themes, as well as some small modifications to the cm source code when I was using my original droid.

I openly admit I am not as skilled as many other developers out there however I am probably 1 of the most persistent 1s and tend not be able to drop something until what I want is accomplished. Feel free to ask anyone in the irc/forums.. I know I tend to get annoying ;-).

I can vouch for Krazy, not that it means much coming from me. But he knows what hes talking about and is the only guy ive seen actually actively trying to root this for everybody. Ive also used many of his themes on my droid . Good stuff.

edgan

Apr 13, 2011
I have an dev Atrix, and I can tell you a dev Droid 3 is most likely not going to help. What will work on the dev phone won't work on a retail phone. It mostly comes down to the boot process, and the signatures used to control things.

I can't say it is useless, but it will only really be useful in someone with deep knowledge of the ARM architecture, and who can disassemble code. Even then they would have to get pretty lucky.

Overall, only expect it to help after you have phone the right person, or group of people who can really dig deep, and are willing to put the time into it.

krazykrivda

Sep 2, 2009
Philidelphia
Edgan:

I am not looking into getting an actual unlocked dev phone, but a phone for me to test/develop on.

I do agree that the more that work on this, and the deeper we dig the greater are chances. I have heard good things about you and hope you can assist.

If I find someone that I feel will have better luck than me, and equal motivation.. AND willingness to the same terms I set fourth (temporary donation, and returning funds once root is achieved based on phones resale) I'd be delighted to pass this potential extra D3 into their hands (assuming the donators agree as well).

ALL:

This is a 0 profit venture for me, and a way I figure can reduce chance of bad investment for all those who DO donate. As soon as the D3 is rooted, it's resale will begin.

To reiterate, I am NOT the most skilled skilled, and I am not trying to trick anyone into give me ther money. I merely have the time, motivation, and dedication that will hopefully lead to this devices root status.

nerdslogic

Nov 13, 2010
Oregon
Edgan:

I am not looking into getting an actual unlocked dev phone, but a phone for me to test/develop on.

I do agree that the more that work on this, and the deeper we dig the greater are chances. I have heard good things about you and hope you can assist.

If I find someone that I feel will have better luck than me, and equal motivation.. AND willingness to the same terms I set fourth (temporary donation, and returning funds once root is achieved based on phones resale) I'd be delighted to pass this potential extra D3 into their hands (assuming the donators agree as well).

ALL:

This is a 0 profit venture for me, and a way I figure can reduce chance of bad investment for all those who DO donate. As soon as the D3 is rooted, it's resale will begin.

To reiterate, I am NOT the most skilled skilled, and I am not trying to trick anyone into give me ther money. I merely have the time, motivation, and dedication that will hopefully lead to this devices root status.

Too bad this isn't the X2 we are talking about. I am currently setting up my spare X2 as a gaming \ entertainment device for the household (meaning 2 year old and 1 year old). Seems like a waste of a "new" phone.

If I get a spare D3 than I would be more than happy to donate.

PS....didn't P3Droid get a D3?

rynosaur

Nov 29, 2008
Dekalb
**OP UPDATED.. see the bottom of first post for "EDIT"**

and in reference to:

... yes, he did, but he has been a busy guy! :)

I would be willing to send my D3 to a developer for vivisection IF (!!!) I was guaranteed that he/she could make the potential brick look good for Asurion.

PM me if you want to make preliminary arrangements.

toaday

Jul 15, 2010
Seattle
I just sent $400 with WePay to get KrazyKrivda a D3. I found one on eBay for 379.99. The goal on the WePay site is $500.

$100 to go people! Come on, let's make it happen :)

Reactions: somemadcaaant

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ha, no I have not, but I've always had recovery or an sbf in worst case scenarios.

To truly brick a phone is quite difficult, and once an sbf, root, or other means are out... chances are most "bricked" devices would be fully recoverable.

And assuming I do get a test phone.. I will keep it in box as long as possible, taking chances on current device. This way I may be able to return/or sell NIB decreasing chances of losing value.

This is not for me to make $$ off of... now if I do achieve root I doubt I would turn down monetary thank yous? ;-) *wishful thinking*

I just sent $400 with WePay to get KrazyKrivda a D3. I found one on eBay for 379.99. The goal on the WePay site is $500.

$100 to go people! Come on, let's make it happen :)
    Oh, I am well aware that this may not get the result I am hoping for. Hell, I know it may produce a (recoverable) brick. I'm ok with that. I trust KrazyKrivda. He has an honest looking twitter avatar.

Sent from the future using XDA Premium App