[CLOSED][ROM][8.1][A5 2017][Unofficial] LineageOS for microG - 15.1 alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

~babel

Jul 28, 2011
Brussels
[Discontinued][Unofficial] LineageOS for microG - 15.1 - Galaxy A5 2017

Check https://download.lineage.microg.org/a5y17lte/ for official pie port !

screen_logo.jpg

Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

Disclaimer

This thread deals with a LineageOS unofficial fork with built-in microG gapps implementation, as described here.
It should not be used with Google apps.

Supported variants
Galaxy A5 (2017) SM-A520F

How to install
  1. Make sure you have Samsung's Oreo firmware bootloader and modem before installing this
  2. Make sure you are using the latest official TWRP version.
  3. Download the lineage for microG build
  4. Copy them to the phone
  5. In TWRP wipe dalvik/cache/system/data
  6. Flash LineageOS
  7. Optional: Flash root package
  8. Reboot

Downloads

Version Information
  • OS Version: 8.1 Oreo
  • Kernel: Linux 3.18.x
  • Android patch level: may 2019
  • Firmware Required: Samsung Oreo firmware
  • Created 2019-04-30
  • Last update 2019-07-09

Credits
RaymanFX, forkbomb444, Corsanicu, Option58, LineageOS team, microG team

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][8.1][A5 2017] LineageOS 15.1 alpha, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy A Series 2017

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190504-125148_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20190504-125148_Settings.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,785
  • Screenshot_20190504-125608_microG_Services_Core.png
    Screenshot_20190504-125608_microG_Services_Core.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,776
  • Screenshot_20190504-125617_microG_Services_Core.png
    Screenshot_20190504-125617_microG_Services_Core.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,752
  • Screenshot_20190508-211645_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20190508-211645_Settings.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 1,541
Last edited:

~babel

Jul 28, 2011
Brussels
Hi, battery life is significantly better than last 15.1 build from Option58, at least when idle ; most of the "to-be-improved" consumption is related to BT.
Cameras flows are the one already reported for all LOS based rom (nothing less, nothing more) : quality seems sub-optimal, 16:9 needs to be selected in settings and from times to times crashes may happen.

Aquib132

Apr 13, 2016
Gorakhpur
Sir, wonderful rom indeed.
The only thing I want for my A5 2017 is a custom kernel for AOSP based roms. I know it is stupid to ask something like this. But please get us a kernel. This will improve battery using profiles, support for overclocking/underclocking, and just usual Basics. On the other hand this rom is fabulous, and would love to see it growing more.

shiftyHungary

Sep 29, 2011
Budapest
Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Okay, after a day of usage, I've occured some problems.

Aforemention that I've done a clean install:

- GPS not working - High accuracy is on, yet neither GMaps, neither Waze can locate, saying that no GPS signal is available. I don't know if this is correlated with microG, if it's caused by some Google framework is missing - since that should be the point of microG, but it's definitely a problem.

- Login with Google is not working - I assume this is a problem rooting from microG, and my misunderstanding, but it would be nice to make this available somehow.

Apart from that, it seems to be a nicely functioning ROM, which is nice to see on LOS.

Not to only mentio negativities, here's something on the pro side: I'm using an Amazfit BIP, which requires constant BT connection to the phone. However, I haven't occured any unreasonable battery consumption caused by BT.

Last edited:

moozer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 5, 2014
North West England
OPPO Reno 10x Zoom
Have you tested NFC? Is it working properly?

Okay, after a day of usage, I've occured some problems.

Aforemention that I've done a clean install:

- GPS not working - High accuracy is on, yet neither GMaps, neither Waze can locate, saying that no GPS signal is available. I don't know if this is correlated with microG, if it's caused by some Google framework is missing - since that should be the point of microG, but it's definitely a problem.

- Login with Google is not working - I assume this is a problem rooting from microG, and my misunderstanding, but it would be nice to make this available somehow.

Apart from that, it seems to be a nicely functioning ROM, which is nice to see on LOS.

Not to only mentio negativities, here's something on the pro side: I'm using an Amazfit BIP, which requires constant BT connection to the phone. However, I haven't occured any unreasonable battery consumption caused by BT.

Why the names?

~babel

Jul 28, 2011
Brussels
Yes, GPS is indeed not working ; location service cannot be accessed as well. I need to figure out why.
Strangely, this was working perfectly fine with (older) LOS 15.1 builds without microG.

Regarding signing at google, I will not look at it, but you can go through the https://lineage.microg.org/ (where do I report a bug) logic to find out where the issue is.

Edit: I've just installed GPStest and selected the "device only" option (to use the GPS only) ; it is now working. what puzzles me is that whenever I'm trying to access the security/location settings page, it will crash. I guess there is something wrong in those bits, that will eventually be corrected upstream.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190508-210024_GPSTest.png
    Screenshot_20190508-210024_GPSTest.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Reactions: shiftyHungary

shiftyHungary

Sep 29, 2011
Budapest
Sony Xperia Tablet Z
The one with the dot is an accidental registration by signing in with Google. The other is the original which I use, yet sometimes I get signed out, and relogged in w/ the Google one. I'll contact MikeChannon to remove my alterego...

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Yes, GPS is indeed not working ; location service cannot be accessed as well. I need to figure out why.
Strangely, this was working perfectly fine with (older) LOS 15.1 builds without microG.

Regarding signing at google, I will not look at it, but you can go through the https://lineage.microg.org/ (where do I report a bug) logic to find out where the issue is.

Edit: I've just installed GPStest and selected the "device only" option (to use the GPS only) ; it is now working. what puzzles me is that whenever I'm trying to access the security/location settings page, it will crash. I guess there is something wrong in those bits, that will eventually be corrected upstream.

A possible answer could be that microG's network provided location is somehow not working, or not properly. If GPS in itself can locate, then the network based data should be corrupted or should cause some trouble, yet I lack the knowledge how to test it.

~babel

Jul 28, 2011
Brussels
are you able to see the security/location page, and configure the location details (with last build, it is working fine now) ?
microG needs some backends to be activated for proper wifi/gsm triangulation/localisation to work, did you configure them ?

shiftyHungary

Sep 29, 2011
Budapest
Sony Xperia Tablet Z
are you able to see the security/location page, and configure the location details (with last build, it is working fine now) ?
microG needs some backends to be activated for proper wifi/gsm triangulation/localisation to work, did you configure them ?

I had to revert to hadesStock, since this is my work phone also, so I'll only have a chance to test on the weekends and on office days.

Yet what I remember is that I had all possible configured in microG, nothing else in the setings apart from the basic modes.

Reactions: sheepkill15

kepler442b_

Jan 24, 2019
Wellingborough
Building without MicroG

Is there a way I can build this exact ROM without the MicroG implementation? It runs much smoother than my builds, I was wondering is it using a different device tree or is this just because of MicroG? Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Discontinued][Unofficial] LineageOS for microG - 15.1 - Galaxy A5 2017

Check https://download.lineage.microg.org/a5y17lte/ for official pie port !

screen_logo.jpg

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit Gerrit Code Review.

Disclaimer

This thread deals with a LineageOS unofficial fork with built-in microG gapps implementation, as described here.
    It should not be used with Google apps.

Supported variants
    Galaxy A5 (2017) SM-A520F

How to install
    1. Make sure you have Samsung's Oreo firmware bootloader and modem before installing this
    2. Make sure you are using the latest official TWRP version.
    3. Download the lineage for microG build
    4. Copy them to the phone
    5. In TWRP wipe dalvik/cache/system/data
    6. Flash LineageOS
    7. Optional: Flash root package
    8. Reboot

Downloads

Version Information
    • OS Version: 8.1 Oreo
    • Kernel: Linux 3.18.x
    • Android patch level: may 2019
    • Firmware Required: Samsung Oreo firmware
    • Created 2019-04-30
    • Last update 2019-07-09

Credits
    RaymanFX, forkbomb444, Corsanicu, Option58, LineageOS team, microG team

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][8.1][A5 2017] LineageOS 15.1 alpha, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy A Series 2017
    Thanks babel! I'll try this now!

Edit: Odin3 keeps freezing (not responding) on my PC when I try to flash a md5 file. :(
    You should try flashing an .mp3 file.
    I'm providing a clean LineageOs with microG build, i.e. no custom kernel.
    The basic idea of this thread is to offer an alternative to the Google-based ecosystem.
    For further updares, check the official pie port here : https://download.lineage.microg.org/a5y17lte/
    Building instructions
    https://github.com/lineageos4microg/docker-lineage-cicd

Known issues
    • (mostly comparable to any LOS based rom out there)
    • battery life could be better (compared to 14.1) I guess : idle consumption is low, BT on the contrary consumes a lot.
    • camera doesn't work flawlessly (same as other LOS based rom)