• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[CLOSED] Testing Complete for new Safestrap Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
I have been working on a new version of Safestrap. This aims to allow devices that aren't unlockable and running update-kindle-xx.4.5.2_user_452004120 to install HDX Nexus ROM v4.xx.

I am looking for a Thor and Apollo tester to confirm that they can indeed install Nexus ROM v4 with this.
I have confidence that this works, but if you agree to do this please understand as usual that you do so at your own risk.

So far the new version has been tested on unlocked devices to confirm compatibility and works fine.

The next stage is to test on locked devices, which as I have said have high confidence that it will work.

The prerequisites for test are:
- Must be running stock update-kindle-xx.4.5.2_user_452004120 firmware
- Must be rooted

Things to be aware of with the new version:
- Secondary slots boot, but the WiFi module does not load
- Since the secondary slots work but have no WiFi, you will need to flash Nexus v4 to the stock slot

Let me know if are interested in helping with this.

Last edited:

zamtang

Jun 6, 2015
I have been working on a new version of Safestrap. This aims to allow devices that aren't unlockable and running update-kindle-xx.4.5.2_user_452004120 to install HDX Nexus ROM v4.xx.

I am looking for a Thor and Apollo tester to confirm that they can indeed install Nexus ROM v4 with this.
I have confidence that this works, but if you agree to do this please understand as usual that you do so at your own risk.

So far the new version has been tested on unlocked devices to confirm compatibility and works fine.

The next stage is to test on locked devices, which as I have said have high confidence that it will work.

- Must be rooted

- Since the secondary slots work but have no WiFi, you will need to flash Nexus v4 to the stock slot

I'm interested in test. how can i apply for tester?

Reactions: ggow
I got brave

so yeah had the problem of being on nexus rom for SS but i had no backup of 3.2.8 to return to so i did the following and it worked
downloaded 3.2.8 rollback file
made a backup of Nexus rom system partition
wiped system, data, cache, dalvik
flashed 3.2.8 rollback after i renamed it to .zip from .bin
bit nail with butterflies
success
poweroff
power on tablet
amazon logo
fire logo
lockscreen
breathe out
im gonna update to 4.5.2 just gotta get rid of safestrap then Im in for testing. :)

Reactions: ggow

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
so yeah had the problem of being on nexus rom for SS but i had no backup of 3.2.8 to return to so i did the following and it worked
success
poweroff
power on tablet
amazon logo
fire logo
lockscreen
breathe out
im gonna update to 4.5.2 just gotta get rid of safestrap then Im in for testing. :)
Congrats!! Rolled the dice and won! :)

Be mighty careful around the 4.5.2 update. Those who received it via OTA (may have been 4.5.3/4.5.4) were treated to a hard brick with no known resolution. Best do the update manually using the procedure/files outlined in this thread. Stay off wifi until 4.5.2 upgrade is complete.

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
Thor Safestrap - Nexus ROM v4 working

@zamtang has confirmed Safestrap and Nexus ROM v4 is working.

Thank you zamtang for taking a leap of faith, it's not something I would ask without been confident and without serious consideration.

Attached is a screenshot provided by zamtang.

Attachments

• 20150618_084103.jpg
    20150618_084103.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 197
Well...

Congrats!! Rolled the dice and won! :)

Be mighty careful around the 4.5.2 update. Those who received it via OTA (may have been 4.5.3/4.5.4) were treated to a hard brick with no known resolution. Best do the update manually using the procedure/files outlined in this thread. Stay off wifi until 4.5.2 upgrade is complete.

my device had no safestrap but it was rooted decided to let it auto update so turned on wifi and checked for update. the update centre said no update found, so went and downloaded 4.5.2 from amazon that was taking a lot longer than it should. checked the update center again. a glitchy 4.1.1 was downloading with the download bar glitching from view. i then let it continue pausing 4.5.2 download it then promptly rebooted and attempted to install 4.1.1 the screen went black through the update. hard brick.. i have my warranty and i have another one coming.

here's a tip don't update to 4.1.1 if you are rooted.

hoping to get a kindle with <3.2.6 my first one was originally that <version

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014
Amazon Fire
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
my device had no safestrap but it was rooted decided to let it auto update so turned on wifi and checked for update. the update centre said no update found, so went and downloaded 4.5.2 from amazon that was taking a lot longer than it should. checked the update center again. a glitchy 4.1.1 was downloading with the download bar glitching from view. i then let it continue pausing 4.5.2 download it then promptly rebooted and attempted to install 4.1.1 the screen went black through the update. hard brick.. i have my warranty and i have another one coming.

Yeah I would say as a rule never let them auto-update.

Reactions: LittleGreenSony

DB126

Oct 15, 2013

For the benefit of others ...

NEVER take an OTA update on 3.2.8. Every reported incident has resulted in a hard brick. Keep WiFi off until OTA is blocked. The only effective method is via HDX toolkit. Renaming otacerts won't work on 3.2.8.

Reactions: LittleGreenSony
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- Must be rooted

- Must be rooted

I'm interested in test. how can i apply for tester?
    I got brave

success
    poweroff
    power on tablet
    amazon logo
    fire logo
    lockscreen
    breathe out

Yeah I would say as a rule never let them auto-update.

For the benefit of others ...

NEVER take an OTA update on 3.2.8. Every reported incident has resulted in a hard brick. Keep WiFi off until OTA is blocked. The only effective method is via HDX toolkit. Renaming otacerts won't work on 3.2.8.