Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
Google Pixel 7
Have you read the last few pages?
Doesn't support dual slot devices properly yet.

It's not the dual slot that breaks TWRP. Our phones had dual slots even under Android 9 and TWRP worked just fine. The Pixel 3a and 3a XL are also listed as supported on the TWRP website.

The issue is that the disk/file structure is vastly different between Android 9 and Android 10 phones. Originally TWRP only worked with Android 9 and it's disk/file structure. The TWRP team was able to work some magic and now TWRP 3.4 will work with Android 10 as long as the phone itself has the old disk/file structure from Android 9. A phone that was updated from Android 9 to Android 10 via an OTA update should retain the old disk/file structure and TWRP should work.

The "problem" is that only "enthusiasts" like us care about TWRP and it's likely that most enthusiasts have flashed a full factory image at least once since upgrading to Android 10. I am guessing that flashing a factory image changes the disk/file structure to the default Android 10 structure and this is why people cannot get TWRP to work on these phones. However someone that upgraded to Android 10 via the OTA image that hasn't subsequently flashed a full factory image may be able to get TWRP 3.4 to work with our phones.

Last edited:

41rw4lk

Dec 11, 2010
Springfield, MO
Google Pixel 3a XL
I think TWRP just has a hard time fitting in with A/B devices. It's not that TWRP can't handle it or do what it's supposed to, it more that it gets in the way when it comes to updates. The whole purpose of A?B devices is seamless updates where you don't have to hit recovery, it just updates in the background and when it's ready you reboot. If you had TWRP installed on stock and tried to OTA, it would fail during install because tge integrity check would see TWRP and halt. A lot of custom roms have their own recovery to handle seamless updates as well. Not to mention that once the new boot.img is flashed TWRP is gone and you have to reinstall. It's going to have to evolve if it wants to be a mainstay for A/B devices. An example is Lineage OS recovery... I'm not a fan, it's basic. Nothing against Lineage or any devs, just a preference. However their recovery got refined and was made to work with A/B devices and persist after an update.
I think if TWRP were revamped a little and added an updater feature it might be more viable than it is at the moment. I think we all recognize that TWRP is handy, it's just became a hassle to keep on your A/B device.

adm1jtg

Jul 26, 2010
Georgia
Google Pixel 3a XL
I think TWRP just has a hard time fitting in with A/B devices. It's not that TWRP can't handle it or do what it's supposed to, it more that it gets in the way when it comes to updates. The whole purpose of A?B devices is seamless updates where you don't have to hit recovery, it just updates in the background and when it's ready you reboot. If you had TWRP installed on stock and tried to OTA, it would fail during install because tge integrity check would see TWRP and halt. A lot of custom roms have their own recovery to handle seamless updates as well. Not to mention that once the new boot.img is flashed TWRP is gone and you have to reinstall. It's going to have to evolve if it wants to be a mainstay for A/B devices. An example is Lineage OS recovery... I'm not a fan, it's basic. Nothing against Lineage or any devs, just a preference. However their recovery got refined and was made to work with A/B devices and persist after an update.
I think if TWRP were revamped a little and added an updater feature it might be more viable than it is at the moment. I think we all recognize that TWRP is handy, it's just became a hassle to keep on your A/B device.

This is why i asked about the fastboot boot option. Still gives the ability for nandroid backups without the game of having to always re install twrp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or TWRP3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
    [I]#include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is not void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */[/I]

Note: Please be aware that you cannot install this without a kernel with LZMA compression support, I believe most ROMs have included my commit for this so you should be good for all custom ROMs and kernels. If not please file a request to the maintainer.

In addition, please be aware that TWRP is currently not compatible with Android 10. If you would like to use TWRP you will need to go back to Android 9. If you would like more information you can read at the link here.

Not a huge problem, stock users can just temporarily boot TWRP if you have access to a PC.
    Not compatible with Android Q.

Pixel devices have 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

Installation:

If you already have TWRP installed: Download the latest zip and install the zip using TWRP.

If you do not already have TWRP installed: Download both the img and the zip. You will need to have fastboot binaries and the correct drivers installed. Power off your device completely. Hold volume down and turn on the device. Your device should now be in the bootloader. Connect the device to your PC. Open a command window and run the following command from the proper location:

fastboot boot path/to/twrp.img

This will temporarily boot TWRP on your device. Use ADB or MTP to transfer the zip onto your device.

Go to install and browse to the zip and install the zip. The zip will install TWRP to both boot slots. Installing TWRP at this time will remove root if you are currently rooted.

If you accidently flash TWRP to your device using fastboot instead of temporarily booting the image, you will need to download the latest factory image for your device and reflash the boot image.

Changelog:
    [BETA]
    3.3.1-0: Initial release for Pixel 3A XL devices
    3.3.1-1: Fixed having to manually change slots before rebooting.
    3.3.1-2: Updated to July blobs!
    3.3.1-3: Can now install TWRP to boot image. ADB, MTP, LOGD, Repack Tools and Logcat have all been removed to save the necessary space for this to work. You can grab stuff while in the OS, then flash it in TWRP (Keep in mind I have only tested this on stock as of now, feel free to test it on whatever ROM you use. It should work, but let me know if it doesn't).
    3.3.1-4: Changed back to LZMA compression, also added back all the features besides ADB/Logcat. As long as your kernel supports LZMA you will be able to take advantage of installing it permanently without having to worry about space restrictions.
    3.3.1-5:
    Add persist entry to fstab
    * To allow TWRP to store a backup settings file on /persist
    and also to be used as QCOM time fix source during early boot.
    Revert "Don't include logcat."
    Revert "Don't include repack tools."
    3.3.1-6:
    Revert "Revert "Don't include repack tools.""
    Add haptics firmware.
    * This obviously on it's own isn't enough to get haptics working for the 3A in TWRP, but its a start.
    Don't include a precompiled update_engine_sideload
    * This should fix the issue of flashing officials for StatiXOS

[STABLE]
    3.3.1-0: Initial official release!

Download:
    https://twrp.me/google/googlepixel3axl.html

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP, Tool/Utility for the Google Pixel 3a XL

Contributors
    ZVNexus, janjan
    Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_google_bonito

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.3.1-0
    Stable Release Date: 2019-07-17
    Current Beta Version: 3.3.1-6
    Beta Release Date: 2019-06-27

Created 2019-06-27
    Last Updated 2019-11-15
    Just reuploaded 3.3.1-6 with one key fix, didn't feel like making a whole new version.

USB OTG now works :)
    Alright, reuploaded 3.3.1-1 with that oopsie fixed.
    3.3.1-3: Can now install TWRP to boot image. ADB, MTP, LOGD, Repack Tools and Logcat have all been removed to save the necessary space for this to work. You can grab stuff while in the OS, then flash it in TWRP (Keep in mind I have only tested this on stock as of now, feel free to test it on whatever ROM you use. It should work, but let me know if it doesn't).

3.3.1-4: Changed back to LZMA compression, also added back all the features besides ADB/Logcat. As long as your kernel supports LZMA you will be able to take advantage of installing it permanently without having to worry about space restrictions.

3.3.1-5:
    Add persist entry to fstab
    * To allow TWRP to store a backup settings file on /persist
    and also to be used as QCOM time fix source during early boot.
    Revert "Don't include logcat."
    Revert "Don't include repack tools."
    When twrp creators update their code to work on q with the new partition setup then we should get official q support, until then it's a waiting game.

Yep, I'm ready any time on my end.