CM 13.0 (Android M) - Nook tablet (acclaim)

Search This thread

chrmhoffmann

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 11, 2006
CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android M (Marshmallow), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 * Submitting bug reports on nightly builds is the leading 
 * cause of male impotence.
 */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed.

This rom is for both the Nook Tablet 512M/8GB and 1GB/16GB versions. The device code name is "acclaim".

Prerequisites:
A recovery. To install a recovery when coming from a stock device, you need to prepare a special SD card. Installation instructions can be found here on xda.

Installation:
Grab a new recovery (http://get.cm/?device=acclaim or TWRP) and flash it with fastboot.

If you have a CM installed, flash the new recovery and try the updater, otherwise download the zip from nightlies, boot to CM recovery or TWRP and flash it.

Once a version is installed (and all bugs fixed), you will be able to use CM Updater
Settings->About tablet->CyanogenMod updates->Refresh :D

THE NEW NIGHTLIES HAVE EMULATED STORAGE ENABLED. YOU LOOSE ALL YOUR DATA. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP!!!! THE INTERNAL EMMC 1GB PARTITION IS ALSO NOT ACCESSIBLE ANYMORE. COPY THE CONTENT. THE EXTERNAL SDCARD IS NOT USED ANYMORE AS PRIMARY STORAGE. ALL APP DATA ON THE SDCARD WILL BE LOST. I ALSO RECOMMEND TO WIPE.

BACKUP!

RE-PARTITIONING IS NOT MANDATORY. IF YOU WANT TO RECLAIM THE 1GB PARTITION (called media) YOU CAN TRY TO FOLLOW THE RE-PARTITION GUIDE:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wSAaAZfQcnvkiHKlbZ7_H1h67m2kx0mq-p3Wjgue3qA/edit?usp=sharing

PLEASE COMMENT ON THE DOCUMENT IF SOMETHING IS NOT CLEAR.

Building:
The CM wiki explains that here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Build_for_acclaim

Returning to stock BN firmware:
If you have installed above rom and the CWM recovery and you really hate it and want to go back to stock, you may wish to try to flash the original acclaim_update.zip from BN. You have to unzip that file and edit META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script. Drop the first two lines here:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "blaze" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "blaze");

Zip the package again. Then go to recovery, flash the zip, wipe, and reboot.

Support:
For any issues encountered, please post into this forum, but add steps to reproduce and dmesg, logcat and audit.log information. If you don't know what this is or how to get them, try to find that out first before posting here.

hashcode, ntemis, kuzma30, fattire, mik_os, and many others that contribute to cyanogenmod and especially this version.
kuzma30 - great kernel job
hashcode - we have reused lots of your work and effort for the various omap devices (esp kindle fire). It is thanks to you mainly that we are now official CM device. Also many thanks for the L bringup help.
mik_os - great touchscreen firmware flasher and other efforts
fattire - for helping us everywhere he can
ntemis - thanks for giving so much energy to this - esp for 4.4 and L I have copied lots of things from you :)
CM community (stargo, etc.) - thanks for replying to all my questions!

DISCLAIMER:
- update the CWM if you come from older versions - otherwise you'll see funny error messages when installing zip
- It is possible that you need to wipe your device. I did not do that, but...
- Also you must flash your own gapps. It can be found somewhere....
- The SELINUX policies are enforced now.

Known issues:
- system partition is too small for full gapps. use a mini gapp package.
- the touchscreen firmware flasher doesn't work on M. Use CM11 to flash it first.
- Currently the CM13 recovery does not flash the open gapps (due to move to toybox instead of busybox)
- CMUpdater (and adb reboot recovery) don't boot into recovery
- The system is altogether not really the fastest thing on earth :)

Recently fixed:
- M bringup

Get it from
http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=acclaim

Get ENG recovery from here. It allows to adb into recovery even when data is wiped.
File: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...cclaim-eng-recovery-UNOFFICIAL-20150606.0.img
md5sum: 6136fc49c5e9a32f115d40d762bb6f2d

Last edited:

srgibbs99

Dec 26, 2011
Need some help. I flashed the recovery from the CM site, and now it only boots to recovery, even after side-loading the CM13 zip for acclaim. Any ideas how to get out of recovery?!?!

Edit: I also tried to "adb sideload" a different recovery (CWM) but it fails to install, saying "E: footer is wrong, E: signature verification failed"
I can only get into adb sideload mode, as "adb devices" says my device is "UNAUTHORIZED", and can't boot to CM at all.

Edit #2: Anything (other than CM zip) I try to flash from ADB sideload within CM recovery fails due to signature verification. Seems like its checking for updates signed by CM. Ugh, not seeing a way out of this.

Last edited:

Juanito216

Jan 31, 2011
LG G5
OnePlus 6T
Thank you, it runs well in account to the specs and age of this old tablet. This experience is better than the CM12 experience, more stable.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

chrmhoffmann

Nov 11, 2006
Need some help. I flashed the recovery from the CM site, and now it only boots to recovery, even after side-loading the CM13 zip for acclaim. Any ideas how to get out of recovery?!?!

Edit: I also tried to "adb sideload" a different recovery (CWM) but it fails to install, saying "E: footer is wrong, E: signature verification failed"
I can only get into adb sideload mode, as "adb devices" says my device is "UNAUTHORIZED", and can't boot to CM at all.

Edit #2: Anything (other than CM zip) I try to flash from ADB sideload within CM recovery fails due to signature verification. Seems like its checking for updates signed by CM. Ugh, not seeing a way out of this.
Most likely the bootcounter reached max number of boots. So when booting, the bootloader sends you to recovery.

I'll try to see if the bootcounter reset doesn't work anymore in cm13 recovery.

Anyway, to get you out of this, can't you hold the nook key during boot to go in cyanoboot menu, start fastboot and flash twrp or old recovery with fastboot?

Chris

Reactions: srgibbs99

chrmhoffmann

Nov 11, 2006
Most likely the bootcounter reached max number of boots. So when booting, the bootloader sends you to recovery.

Anyway, to get you out of this, can't you hold the nook key during boot to go in cyanoboot menu, start fastboot and flash twrp or old recovery with fastboot?

Chris

The bootcounter reset indeed doesn't work anymore.

To get out of here:
- Let the device go to recovery
- adb to the device
- run the following commands:
mount /system
/sbin/clearbootdata.sh

Reboot

I'll try to fix this ASAP.

Chris

srgibbs99

Dec 26, 2011

Thanks for the reply Chris!

The boot counter does increment (top left corner of cyanoboot, goes from 0-9 then starts over) however no matter what I press on that screen it immediately loads recovery.

Also, I can't get shell access with ADB. When I do "adb devices" it says this device is "UNAUTHORIZED". I can, however, choose "Apply update via ADB" in recovery and it changes to "sideload" but it still won't give me shell access.

Without shell access, what are my options? Seems like i can only flash official CM builds. Will the next nightly help me if your fix is in it? Does it affect the boot.img or or does that only affect the recovery?

Zippy Dufus

Feb 12, 2011
First boot time? ... working now!

How long does the initial flash take to boot up for the first time?

I built this ROM (cm-13.0-20160116-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim.zip) and gave up after 45 minutes on the bootanimation.

Right now, I am flashing the cm-13.0-20150117-NIGHTLY-acclaim.zip and it is still booting after 30 minutes.

I flashed with TWRP 2.8.7. Is this OK?

BTW - great work on this ROM!

== // ==

Never mind. I built another (completely Linaro) ROM and it flashed and booted OK. The only thing that I did differently was that I did not flash SuperSu-v2.46 after I flashed the ROM.

Again, thanks for bringing Marshmallow to this device!

Last edited:

chrmhoffmann

Nov 11, 2006

The boot counter does increment (top left corner of cyanoboot, goes from 0-9 then starts over) however no matter what I press on that screen it immediately loads recovery.

Also, I can't get shell access with ADB. When I do "adb devices" it says this device is "UNAUTHORIZED". I can, however, choose "Apply update via ADB" in recovery and it changes to "sideload" but it still won't give me shell access.

Without shell access, what are my options? Seems like i can only flash official CM builds. Will the next nightly help me if your fix is in it? Does it affect the boot.img or or does that only affect the recovery?

I am afraid that you are now in trouble, but it is not fatal.

Options:
a) You can flash with "adb sideload" a zip that installs another recovery. I'll try to create that for CM13 now, as there's only some really old stuff available.
b) You can prepare a SDCARD that flashes recovery like if you would come from stock.

Hang on a bit until I provide a).

Chris

Last edited:

srgibbs99

Dec 26, 2011

Options:
a) You can flash with "adb sideload" a zip that installs another recovery. I'll try to create that for CM13 now, as there's only some really old stuff available.
b) You can prepare a SDCARD that flashes recovery like if you would come from stock.

Chris

Sounds good and thanks.

I actually tried dropping the TWRP recovery.img inside the official CM13 zip and flashing that, but again, it failed due to signature verification. I wonder if you could have access to add a build that includes TWRP (or a fixed recovery image) to the "experimental" channel for CM? Or maybe a boot.img that gives me a second or two to press N and load something other than EMMC recovery.

Maybe that way it would be signed by CM and the current recovery would accept it.

Last edited:

srgibbs99

Dec 26, 2011

Options:

Chris

I had some time today so I tried b) and it finally got some results. I was able to boot to another recovery and flash twrp. Installing CM13 now! I'll update once im done.

Reactions: chrmhoffmann

srgibbs99

Dec 26, 2011
I had some time today so I tried b) and it finally got some results. I was able to boot to another recovery and flash twrp. Installing CM13 now! I'll update once im done.

Finally got it up and running on CM13. Runs great, and as others have said its much more stable than CM12.

Also, based on my experience, I would advise against installing the CM custom recovery. Much safer to stick with TWRP.

Thanks for all your help Chris.

Reactions: chrmhoffmann

chrmhoffmann

Nov 11, 2006
The new nightlies should have the boot counter fixed, but it's true that cm recovery doesn't support open gapps flash right now as busy box support was dropped.
So it's maybe best to stick with twrp until further notice.

Chris

Sent from my wiko using Tapatalk

mikeataol

Nov 21, 2013
Updated to the latest nightly last night (20160119) and upon reboot got "Google Play Services has stopped", and a notification that Play services wont run until you update,.
am unable to go into apps setting to attempt to clear app storage . Crashes when trying the "manage space" option for Google Play Services

ignore , sorry I thought I was in the CM 12 thread duh...

Last edited:
G

GuestD2035

I never posted on this site but a google now card mentioned cm13 on the ole nook tablet so I gave it a whirl.

Clean flashed the 1/18 nightly the other night. Flashed the smallest gapps I could find because the other kept giving me error that not enough space. Was up and running and though bit slow all seemed well.

Tried running cm updater to get the 1/19 nightly but I got a md5 error. So I ended up downloading the nightly. Then I had to move it to the external sd card. Then I dirty flashed it. Everything still worked and no errors except there were no quick tiles when I pulled down from the top. This was fixed by holding the gear icon for a few seconds until it was spinning. After that there were several options that popped up and then the quick tiles were back.

Lastly and the main reason I am here. Is the home screen supposed to be stuck in landscape mode? The lock screen rotates but the home screen does not. Also the clock is not correct and I am unable to change it.

I use ClockWorkMod 6.0.4.5 to flash the roms btw if that matters.

G

GuestD2035

Auto rotate is on as is 0, 90, and 270 degrees. Also have rotate on lock screen on. Not sure if there is another rotate setting I am not seeing. I will clean flash the next update and see if this fixes it.

Edit: fixed. I did not know about the cm13 menu by holding the screen then swiping up. Rookie mistake.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android M (Marshmallow), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     * Submitting bug reports on nightly builds is the leading 
     * cause of male impotence.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed.

This rom is for both the Nook Tablet 512M/8GB and 1GB/16GB versions. The device code name is "acclaim".

Prerequisites:
    A recovery. To install a recovery when coming from a stock device, you need to prepare a special SD card. Installation instructions can be found here on xda.

Installation:
    Grab a new recovery (http://get.cm/?device=acclaim or TWRP) and flash it with fastboot.

If you have a CM installed, flash the new recovery and try the updater, otherwise download the zip from nightlies, boot to CM recovery or TWRP and flash it.

Once a version is installed (and all bugs fixed), you will be able to use CM Updater
    Settings->About tablet->CyanogenMod updates->Refresh :D

THE NEW NIGHTLIES HAVE EMULATED STORAGE ENABLED. YOU LOOSE ALL YOUR DATA. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP!!!! THE INTERNAL EMMC 1GB PARTITION IS ALSO NOT ACCESSIBLE ANYMORE. COPY THE CONTENT. THE EXTERNAL SDCARD IS NOT USED ANYMORE AS PRIMARY STORAGE. ALL APP DATA ON THE SDCARD WILL BE LOST. I ALSO RECOMMEND TO WIPE.

BACKUP!

RE-PARTITIONING IS NOT MANDATORY. IF YOU WANT TO RECLAIM THE 1GB PARTITION (called media) YOU CAN TRY TO FOLLOW THE RE-PARTITION GUIDE:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wSAaAZfQcnvkiHKlbZ7_H1h67m2kx0mq-p3Wjgue3qA/edit?usp=sharing

PLEASE COMMENT ON THE DOCUMENT IF SOMETHING IS NOT CLEAR.

Building:
    The CM wiki explains that here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Build_for_acclaim

Returning to stock BN firmware:
    If you have installed above rom and the CWM recovery and you really hate it and want to go back to stock, you may wish to try to flash the original acclaim_update.zip from BN. You have to unzip that file and edit META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script. Drop the first two lines here:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "blaze" ||
    getprop("ro.build.product") == "blaze");

Zip the package again. Then go to recovery, flash the zip, wipe, and reboot.

Support:
    For any issues encountered, please post into this forum, but add steps to reproduce and dmesg, logcat and audit.log information. If you don't know what this is or how to get them, try to find that out first before posting here.

hashcode, ntemis, kuzma30, fattire, mik_os, and many others that contribute to cyanogenmod and especially this version.
    kuzma30 - great kernel job
    hashcode - we have reused lots of your work and effort for the various omap devices (esp kindle fire). It is thanks to you mainly that we are now official CM device. Also many thanks for the L bringup help.
    mik_os - great touchscreen firmware flasher and other efforts
    fattire - for helping us everywhere he can
    ntemis - thanks for giving so much energy to this - esp for 4.4 and L I have copied lots of things from you :)
    CM community (stargo, etc.) - thanks for replying to all my questions!

DISCLAIMER:
    - update the CWM if you come from older versions - otherwise you'll see funny error messages when installing zip
    - It is possible that you need to wipe your device. I did not do that, but...
    - Also you must flash your own gapps. It can be found somewhere....
    - The SELINUX policies are enforced now.

Known issues:
    - system partition is too small for full gapps. use a mini gapp package.
    - the touchscreen firmware flasher doesn't work on M. Use CM11 to flash it first.
    - Currently the CM13 recovery does not flash the open gapps (due to move to toybox instead of busybox)
    - CMUpdater (and adb reboot recovery) don't boot into recovery
    - The system is altogether not really the fastest thing on earth :)

Recently fixed:
    - M bringup

Get it from
    http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=acclaim

Get ENG recovery from here. It allows to adb into recovery even when data is wiped.
    File: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...cclaim-eng-recovery-UNOFFICIAL-20150606.0.img
    md5sum: 6136fc49c5e9a32f115d40d762bb6f2d

Chris

To get out of here:
    - adb to the device
    mount /system
    /sbin/clearbootdata.sh

Reboot

Chris

To get out of here:
    - adb to the device
    mount /system
    /sbin/clearbootdata.sh

Reboot

Chris

Fixed:
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/128693/

Chris

Options:

Chris