CM S-pen writing hand

Search This thread

Tapemaster21

Sep 22, 2011
Godfrey IL
Holy cow. I was about to flash back to my GB rom because there was no lefty support and I use writing way too much. You saved a life here. Big thanks!

suxi

Feb 11, 2011
Perfect for Paranoid 2.22-Utacka. Thanks a lot for sharing this!

suxi

miko3d

Jun 17, 2006
guys
Is there a way to have correct landscape spen offset in cm10?
It seems that keeps the same as in portrait which is wrong.
Touchscreen Tune app doesn't seem to work in jb :(
Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

awe215

Jun 15, 2008
Philadelphia
For me, a lefty, the right-handed settings work well for the screen in landscape (rotated to the right).

Left handed portrait works perfect with the listed terminal settings.

Have your tried it on both landscape positions ? (Rotated right and left? )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

whitedavidp

Jul 31, 2012
I just stumbled into this thread and am pretty new to my rooted Note N7000. I find that the spen needs calibration regularly (the locations of the hover cursor and the actual pen point diverge by 1+mm). I have found that switching dominant hands (left->right->left) works to fix this on TouchWiz ICS 4.0.4 with HyraCore 4.3b. So I am looking to have a script that does this readily available and hoped the technique described here would do the trick in that script.

So after su in a terminal window, I execute the shown echo command (echo "1" > /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/epen_hand) to change from my normal left hand dominant to right hand dominant. I check the result code and it is 0. So seems like it completed ok. However, I check the pen settings in the UI and it still says left hand dominant. I see no change in the files' contents or modification dates. However, the target files appear to be entry points for device drivers. So maybe this is to be expected.

Should I expect the UI to reflect changes made this way? If the UI is not updated, is there some way to confirm that the change has occurred?

Thanks

Last edited:

finlaand

Jun 2, 2012
fun fun

Works for me after changes below, to prior instructions which failed :)

1 Copied file to /data/local not /data/system, so links back to scripts already by default in /ect/init.d area
2 Changed File Permissions to include execute
3 Reboot, ta da

Still not perfect as offset as Lefty settings was not perfect for me to start with, but closer.
- what I did notice was trying the *#0*# code from the phone app failed to bring up the calibration settings, but assuming that is a PA2.22 rom issue

.............N7000, ParanoidAndroid 2.22

whitedavidp

Jul 31, 2012
Many Thanks!

To the OP and responders for this posting. I had been dismayed by how my N7000's s-pen was regularly needing calibration. I discovered, with the help of another post somewhere - that by changing the pen's setting from one hand to another and back helps to rectify the situation. But doing this manually with any frequency is a PIA. So I went looking for a way to do this in an automated fashion. It was then that I found this thread and reached a suitable "fix" easily. I have no written a shell script that uses the command shown here to toggle the s-pen's dominant hand setting back and forth. I am running it on a regular schedule - perhaps more frequently than actually needed -- via the very fine SManager app (in the app store) which has a great little cron function that knows how to run the script as root (and at startup as well). It is still not clear to me why this recalibration needs to happen at all (or at least so frequently) but with this simple solution, I no longer really have to care. So THANKS!

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
Thanks a ton for this. I've been wanting this feature forever on my i717 and haven't seen any threads over there mentioning it. I'll definitely be adding this to my userinit.sh!

whitedavidp

Jul 31, 2012
I thought your app did only work with Touchwizz ROMs? :eek:
Actually testers have determined that it will work on some non-TouchWiz ROMs like Paranoid Android 2.57 that doesn't have a dominant hand setting. Despite this, the ROMs in question did provide the needed interface to the wacom device driver - a file at /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/epen_hand. If your ROM creates this, there is a very good chance my app will work.

afhum

Dec 16, 2008
Hi all,

I've been missing the s-pen writing hand setting since stock-samsung-gb-days...

I've finally found the setting for CM9 & 10 (possibly AOSP/AOKP/MIUI/..., this needs to be checked)

If some dev with far greater abilities than I could write an interface for it, possibly get it merged into gerrit in the cm9 galaxy note settings app :cowboy:

In terminal, as root, type:

echo "0" > /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/epen_hand (For lefthanded setting)

echo "1" > /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/epen_hand (For righthanded setting)

The change is effective instantly, and stays until next reboot;
I have added the command in a script (/data/local/userinit.sh), so the setting is set after each reboot.

Have fun :highfive:

this echo "0" > /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/epen_hand works on portrait mode but not landscape mode. any solution for landscape mode? :)

olliesshop

Dec 28, 2003
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
I've been running CyanomedMod version 10.1.0-RC2 quincy att and have been unable to find a setting, or way, to make the S-Pen, on my Galaxy Note i717, for lefty's. I tried the terminal method and couldn't get it to work. Does anyone have any suggestions? Other than that I'm really enjoying CM10.1 compared to the piece of junk JB ROM released by AT&T/Samsung recently (it had so many problems).

Thank you in advance for any help you can lend !!!

barrycurtiz

Sep 29, 2022
Managing a job and studies at the same time can be stressful. Now, you don’t need to worry about it we provide all in one solution for all the problems you may face in your <a href="https://onlinecourseexperts.com/take-my-nursing-class-for-me"/> Take my nursing course for me</a> course journey. We have been providing our services for the last five years. We provide services including nursing assignments, nursing dissertation writing, <a href="https://onlinecourseexperts.com/take-my-nursing-class-for-me"/> take my nursing course for me</a>, nursing case studies and much more.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I've been missing the s-pen writing hand setting since stock-samsung-gb-days...

I've finally found the setting for CM9 & 10 (possibly AOSP/AOKP/MIUI/..., this needs to be checked)

If some dev with far greater abilities than I could write an interface for it, possibly get it merged into gerrit in the cm9 galaxy note settings app :cowboy:

In terminal, as root, type:

echo "0" > /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/epen_hand (For lefthanded setting)

echo "1" > /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/epen_hand (For righthanded setting)

The change is effective instantly, and stays until next reboot;
    I have added the command in a script (/data/local/userinit.sh), so the setting is set after each reboot.

Have fun :highfive:
    60 views, and no replies... am I the only lefty on the forum? :p

Confirmed also for CM10!
    Works also on cm10 - P A 2.1.
    Attached userinit.sh file to copy to /data/local/
    Noooooo

Thank you so much for this! I have been waiting for a replacement for touchscreentune. Now PA is perfect. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

I was so happy to find this. I love CM but lack of calibration keeps me away. But, alas, I am running a att note and get an error, "no such file or directory"....

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

I was so happy to find this. I love CM but lack of calibration keeps me away. But, alas, I am running a att note and get an error, "no such file or directory"....

Scrap that, it woooooooooooorks. It woooooooooooooooooooooooorks.

I just can't believe it. CM9 with proper lefty support!

YES!
    Typical s-pen has offset prepared for right hand= you can't use it with left hand because o huge offset.
    When you type command from first post, offset will be mirrored, so it will be good for lefties :)