[CM9][APP]FloatNote - Simple note-taking app in a floating window for the Galaxy Note

Search This thread

nikad1970

Jan 10, 2011
London
I've been playing around with Mark Wei's splendid http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1688531StandOut library and thought I'd share one app I've been finding useful.
It's very basic and very beta.
FloatNote v1.0.4b

Edit:
Thought I better provide some info :)
This app is very simple. It floats on top of other windows and lets you scribble notes or little sketches.
I wrote it for me and my phone so I know it runs okay on a Galaxy Note under cm9.
It's written for the galaxy note stylus so pressure increases pen stroke width and the side button gives you the eraser.
Select ink colour by swiping your stylus along the rainbow thing on the titlebar (the title text shows the selected colour). Click the sidebutton when touching the rainbow to return to black.
It autosaves your note and autoloads it when the app opens again.
Resize the window with the triangle in the bottom right corner.
I'm using the android native API so it may work okay(ish) on other devices. If it does, let me know.
Enjoy...
Nikad

Latest Update:
Version 1.0.9b

Changelog:
Major rewrite - had to do away with Mark's standout library and reimplement some of its functionality.
Hide and restore from the notification bar
Share note with other apps, email, etc
Saves position, size and pen colour.
Lots of bug fixes and improvements in performance/reliability

Important:
This app requires API Level 14 or higher to detect the stylus so you need ICS.
There are known issues running under Touchwiz so stick with a CM9/CM10 variant.
Know to run okay on the Galaxy Note International, I717 and the HTC Flyer.
If anyone runs it on other devices I'd love to know!

Attachments

• FloatNote109b.apk
    57.6 KB · Views: 6,502
Last edited:

nikad1970

Jan 10, 2011
London
Nice but when erasing it takes screen shot as we press button of the pen

Oops! I guess you're running a samsung rom and touchwizz is getting in the way. Looks like I might have to install a stock rom and do a bit of debugging :)

Gr8 idea but how do open it when we need the app? Like I am checking email and want to make some quick note how do I bring it on screen ?

No quick launch yet, sorry :(
If you've ran the app already, you can launch it from your recent apps. But...

Improvements in mind include being able to hide the window and then show it when you click on the notification (I had this on an earlier alpha and just need to add it back in).
Multi-page note: support for more than one page.
Share note (with whatever).

I'm not going to go too heavy on functionality though. The idea was to be simple and uncluttered.

Thanks for you interest...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Vishal_Pratap singh

Vishal_Pratap singh

Jun 18, 2012
Gulbarga
Oops! I guess you're running a samsung rom and touchwizz is getting in the way. Looks like I might have to install a stock rom and do a bit of debugging :)

No quick launch yet, sorry :(
If you've ran the app already, you can launch it from your recent apps. But...

Improvements in mind include being able to hide the window and then show it when you click on the notification (I had this on an earlier alpha and just need to add it back in).
Multi-page note: support for more than one page.
Share note (with whatever).

I'm not going to go too heavy on functionality though. The idea was to be simple and uncluttered.

Thanks for you interest...

Yes its nice I have it and works fine on liquid black ROM . Just add that ability to launch any where over any app and you have almost a s memo killer!!! ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

nikad1970

Jan 10, 2011
London
New version on its way. Just going through last testing and tweaking so maybe tonight/tomorrow morning.
Ended up doing a major rewrite just to provide a small amount of additional functionality. But it's all good! It even ended up smaller.
We now have an app that will hide and restore from the notification bar, can share the image with other apps and loads of reliability improvements.
I haven't had a chance yet to run it on other devices or on stock roms so all I can say is it works on the Galaxy Note under CM9.

leojab

Dec 26, 2011
I have been refreshin this page for new version since your last post. The new version is smaller and works great. I like the export option and clear. I need a find a way to launch this app while I am on a call so i can take notes quickly..
Hey the side button erasor is really really greatr :)
Great work on this wonderful app

nikad1970

Jan 10, 2011
London
I have been refreshin this page for new version since your last post. The new version is smaller and works great. I like the export option and clear. I need a find a way to launch this app while I am on a call so i can take notes quickly..
Hey the side button erasor is really really greatr :)
Great work on this wonderful app

I'm glad you like it. Thanks.
If you're on a call, just pull down the status bar and click on the notification. It's a bit of an illusion that it's "hidden". Really the app is shut down and relaunched when you click the restore notification.
By the way, I see you running a stock rom. Does TouchWiz not cause problems with FloatNote?

Thanks again for your interest!

Reactions: leojab

leojab

Dec 26, 2011
Ok. That makes sense. I can restore it from the notification bar if it is hidden.. only thing the app must be up and running before that..
I do not use Touichwiz when there are great lauchers namely Nova these days.. It has been some time since I went back to TW

I use float to be called in one of the gesture of NOVA which is great. You would do a scrolling option on the screen if possible. That will help me add longer notes rather than extending the window,,

Thanks. :good:

Markuzy

Apr 21, 2012
Singapore
Having an issue parsing the package.
Will try again via desktop soon.

Good work!
I love such stuff

EDIT:
Sorry!
I was half asleep and didn't see that it is for CM9.
Please forgive me!
:silly:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been playing around with Mark Wei's splendid http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1688531StandOut library and thought I'd share one app I've been finding useful.
    It's very basic and very beta.
    FloatNote v1.0.4b

Edit:
    Thought I better provide some info :)
    This app is very simple. It floats on top of other windows and lets you scribble notes or little sketches.
    I wrote it for me and my phone so I know it runs okay on a Galaxy Note under cm9.
    It's written for the galaxy note stylus so pressure increases pen stroke width and the side button gives you the eraser.
    Select ink colour by swiping your stylus along the rainbow thing on the titlebar (the title text shows the selected colour). Click the sidebutton when touching the rainbow to return to black.
    It autosaves your note and autoloads it when the app opens again.
    Resize the window with the triangle in the bottom right corner.
    I'm using the android native API so it may work okay(ish) on other devices. If it does, let me know.
    Enjoy...
    Nikad

Latest Update:
    Version 1.0.9b

Changelog:
    Major rewrite - had to do away with Mark's standout library and reimplement some of its functionality.
    Hide and restore from the notification bar
    Share note with other apps, email, etc
    Saves position, size and pen colour.
    Lots of bug fixes and improvements in performance/reliability

Important:
    This app requires API Level 14 or higher to detect the stylus so you need ICS.
    There are known issues running under Touchwiz so stick with a CM9/CM10 variant.
    Know to run okay on the Galaxy Note International, I717 and the HTC Flyer.
    If anyone runs it on other devices I'd love to know!
    Sorry guys, I've been ridiculously busy the last month moving from London to Glastonbury so haven't been checking this thread let alone working on FloatNote. But things are calming down now and I might actually get to do some changes/additions soon :rolleyes:
    I've read your posts and appreciate your interest and support.
    Some things people want are already in the pipeline (embedded picture, multiple pages (not multiple windows) (but maybe split view),useable with a finger (for those stylus deficient) - aargh, too many brackets!)
    Thanks again to all who tried and liked, and sorry to all those who didn't.
    Enjoy,
    Nikad
    Updated OP with new version
    Enjoy!
    S Memo < S Note < FloatNote in terms of real world usability. Thanks. Have been using for a couple of days, done away with Samsung apps.

Btw, is it not on play store? And, how does the sliding to restore black ink works again? Could not get that part.

I'm glad you're finding it useful :)
    It may end up on play store, I haven't looked into the logistics of that yet. Plus, I still think it's beta quality. I want to smooth the pen stroke more and haven't found a way yet that doesn't really slow down drawing the strokes on the screen.

To get back to black ink, hold in the sidebutton and touch the colour picker.

Are you using it on a Galaxy Tab? Can I add that to the list of compatible devices?
    Thanks mate.:good:
    Tabs would be awesome, as would a way to convert back to black!

:beer: "We can't stop here, this is Bat Country!" :beer:
    Blog: http://ajizzzle.blogspot.ca/

you can revert to black by holding down the pen button and tapping the colour chooser
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone