Question CN/Global help (huawei user here)

Search This thread

blufreak

Jan 7, 2011
Hi guys. Looking at finally retiring my trusty and rather awesome P20. Sadly cant go p40 etc due to banking app issues (barclays) andd im really keen on the mi 11 (any users who had both,feedbak be great too)

Obviously the UK date seems to be better guarded secret than the queens PIN code. And i can only find one source for a claimed "mi 11 global version" (buycheapphones) however the site looks sketchy,whois lookup is private and very limited feedback available online. So, my question is, being the impatient sod i am, apart from masses of bloat which id be removing or disabling anyway, would i face any issues with a CN variant (eg from wonda) in the uk vs global? i CANT unlock bootloader and reboot with xiaomi.eu for the same above reason, Barclays are a royal pain with bootloaders and root etc. So i just want out of the box will work with all GAPPS (not fussed on google pay as never used it,this seems to be an issue for some)

Im able to sideload if some apps are missing from playstore as long as they function properly.

Or am i going to be better off sitting bored waiting for the UK release and coughing up the extra dough?

DDHBanger

Apr 24, 2015
For what it's worth. I bought mine 2 weeks ago from Giztop as I knew quite a few people who has done so and advised it was ok. . Paid for express shipping and it arrived within 7 days and no extra charges. I bought the special edition one
I've got all the GAPPs and google pay works netflix etc.

blufreak

Jan 7, 2011
I was just looking at giztop today and noticed they're offering the global version now for about 580. Was about to order and read at the bottom pre order but marked in stock so currently waiting for a response.

As I say, I'm not fussed on Google pay just full use without having to unlock/root and upset barclays app.

Just wondered if there are many drawbacks to the Chinese version eg future resell value, unwanted notifications or annoyances eg default apps, any features missing that global version has.

blufreak

Jan 7, 2011
I know myself well, the bee was officially in my bonnet.

Giz replied saying in stock and will despatch from Europe warehouse so no import duty (we shall see) but pulled the trigger on a global spec one 😁

Thankfully I'm use to Huawei so I'm prepared for settings fiddling to get things just right. Praying some power fiddling will get me some decent life out of it

Reactions: Asnamus

onslaught86

Jul 26, 2009
ASUS ROG Phone II
OPPO Find X2 Pro
Hopefully it's actually global mate! Would recommend doing further research into CN smartphones before buying one intended for the Mainland market. They can be tons of fun but worth knowing what you're getting into upfront.

Phones from the other side of the great firewall = No GApps, no safetynet, and your mileage may vary on whether there is a GMS stub in the filesystem that will allow the Play Store and Google services to work properly with system permissions. Your only options with a Xiaomi CN model are to unlock the bootloader and flash xiaomi.eu (which passes safetynet), or unlock the bootloader, install MIUI global/EEA, and use Magisk to hide root from your banking app. To be fair, both of those are debatably much easier than installing GMS on a P40.

The CN software is not really a good time for most global users. You can disable a variety of the preloaded apps and services, but there's a lot of bloat and many parts won't be relevant or translated. MIUI CN actually has more features than global. xiaomi.eu = CN software debloated and rebuilt with more languages and features for global use.

If it's actually a global Mi 11 you'll be good to go out of the box. It has just launched in HK this week so you may be in luck.

blufreak

Jan 7, 2011
Hopefully it's actually global mate! Would recommend doing further research into CN smartphones before buying one intended for the Mainland market. They can be tons of fun but worth knowing what you're getting into upfront.

Phones from the other side of the great firewall = No GApps, no safetynet, and your mileage may vary on whether there is a GMS stub in the filesystem that will allow the Play Store and Google services to work properly with system permissions. Your only options with a Xiaomi CN model are to unlock the bootloader and flash xiaomi.eu (which passes safetynet), or unlock the bootloader, install MIUI global/EEA, and use Magisk to hide root from your banking app. To be fair, both of those are debatably much easier than installing GMS on a P40.

The CN software is not really a good time for most global users. You can disable a variety of the preloaded apps and services, but there's a lot of bloat and many parts won't be relevant or translated. MIUI CN actually has more features than global. xiaomi.eu = CN software debloated and rebuilt with more languages and features for global use.

If it's actually a global Mi 11 you'll be good to go out of the box. It has just launched in HK this week so you may be in luck.

Only bought as they confirmed in writing its global and they're the second one to list it now so assume they are becoming available. I'm no stranger to rooting roms and general tinkering but quite happy just debloating and customising stock now to maintain functionality.

They also said it'll ship from EU not China and no import duty so if they keep to their word its cost me barely 600 so from what I can tell, at least £60+ saving.

Really fancied the 10 ultra but no band 20 put me off. Hadn't realised the proper pro was the same, the 10t models don't tickle me at all.

Hopefully it'll be here next few days and I an begin debloating, de-prc-ing and then get to using it 😁

blufreak

Jan 7, 2011
For what it's worth. I bought mine 2 weeks ago from Giztop as I knew quite a few people who has done so and advised it was ok. . Paid for express shipping and it arrived within 7 days and no extra charges. I bought the special edition one
I've got all the GAPPs and google pay works netflix etc.

Where are you based? I'm in UK, ordered Monday morning paid express delivery and it still shows as order processing today, no tracking or anything. Just sent them an email but it is slightly concerning as I've seen similar before used as a trick to disguise a product coming from China (appears quicker delivery time)

DDHBanger

Apr 24, 2015
Where are you based? I'm in UK, ordered Monday morning paid express delivery and it still shows as order processing today, no tracking or anything. Just sent them an email but it is slightly concerning as I've seen similar before used as a trick to disguise a product coming from China (appears quicker delivery time)
I'm in the uk. I had no I issues at all. Are you sure they had stock?

blufreak

Jan 7, 2011
Yeah I emailed before ordered. Accepted delivery from China as long as its within the agreed timescale, Promised it will be despatched immediately........ Still shows processing.

blufreak

Jan 7, 2011
Sorry that's happened to you. I see their website says now shipping mid March, so hopefully it will ship this week.
Still processing. It said mid March before I bought this is why I Contacted them but so far it's seeming more likely they were dishonest on the status of their stock aswell as country of origin. If I get the phone next week I'll be happy but still sour grapes. Even more so if I end up with £100 customs on top or it launches in UK before I get it haha

blufreak

Jan 7, 2011
So as a little update to the giztop saga

Confirmed in stock first

Ordered 8th march

Multiple emails later finay got a tracking number 15th march.. .. Thats a whole week

Tracking number wasn't even working until friday 19th which finally showed the phone was in Netherlands "waiting to be forwarded" so we are looking at 3 weeks (15 working days) for an express delivery that was quoted as 5-8 days. And that's just at a guess. All to possibly save £200 IF or doesn't get spotted checked at customs, as it launches in UK tomorrow 😂 typical

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know myself well, the bee was officially in my bonnet.

Giz replied saying in stock and will despatch from Europe warehouse so no import duty (we shall see) but pulled the trigger on a global spec one 😁

Thankfully I'm use to Huawei so I'm prepared for settings fiddling to get things just right. Praying some power fiddling will get me some decent life out of it
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone