Cold boot attacks in 2020

Search This thread

haggis88

Jul 8, 2012
Hi,

I'm interested in using a custom rom on either my Samsung S10 or A20 and have recently come across security issues with unlocked boot loaders, specifically cold boot attacks, even for encrypted devices.

I can't find many recent internet articles about the topic. The majority seem to be pre-2014 so was wondering if cold boot attacks aren't as much of an issue anymore, perhaps due to better Android security.

So I was hoping if anyone can confirm any of the following, assuming a person is using disk encryption.

1. How long data is supposed to persist in phone memory at room temperature (ie without cooling)? I've read that's is as little as a few seconds up to half a minute and as much as 90 minutes.

2. Do the latest versions of Android either encrypt ram itself or issue ram wipe commands on shut down and/or boot up?

3. Are there any other considerations about the ability to retrieve encryption key information that may be held in ram?

Thanks.

Tekodrink

Feb 16, 2015
Hi,

I'm interested in using a custom rom on either my Samsung S10 or A20 and have recently come across security issues with unlocked boot loaders, specifically cold boot attacks, even for encrypted devices.

I can't find many recent internet articles about the topic. The majority seem to be pre-2014 so was wondering if cold boot attacks aren't as much of an issue anymore, perhaps due to better Android security.

So I was hoping if anyone can confirm any of the following, assuming a person is using disk encryption.

1. How long data is supposed to persist in phone memory at room temperature (ie without cooling)? I've read that's is as little as a few seconds up to half a minute and as much as 90 minutes.

2. Do the latest versions of Android either encrypt ram itself or issue ram wipe commands on shut down and/or boot up?

3. Are there any other considerations about the ability to retrieve encryption key information that may be held in ram?

Thanks.

1. ram is magnetic . it would unload at no power../
drain it.!

2. Ram could not be encrypted if its not supported by the kernel. if it could u workin at ironsteel

3. there are.