Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Hi everybody!

Recently I've spoke with Cotulla and he agreed to try to hack Samsung handsets to create a custom ROM. I think it's a GREAT NEWS! The only one cons - Cotulla don't have any Samsung handset. So, I've decide to collect money to buy used Samsung handsets on ebay and send 'em to Cotulla.

I've checked price for used Samsung handsets on ebay and got about $160-180 for used Focus and $260-270 for Omnia (Cotulla asked for two different handsets - I beleive he knows what he needs!). EMS shipping will costs about $60.

The agenda is:
  • collect $550 using ChipIn service;
  • buy two Samsung's handets, Focus and Omnia;
  • send these phones to Cotulla via EMS or FedEx;
  • rest will be donated to Cotulla;

All money flow will be open and clear; I'll post a receipt scans and periodically will report progress (ChipIn service is already open and clear).

The backup plan (if we can't collect desired amount during month) is:
if we'll have money for one Focus, I'll send Focus only to Cotulla. If not, collected money will be donated to Cotulla.

I hope the xda already has at least 50-100 generous Samsung handsets owners who want to get a "ROM freedom", so

WBR, SeNS

P.S. Just tried to make a first donation by myself but I can't because ChipIn is wired to my PayPal account :( BTW, I'll donate anyway! :)

P.P.S. Project finished, will publish project's statement later.

*********************************************************************************************

P.P.P.S. Project's financial report:

HTML:
Total donated:        $161.00 (13 contributors)
Cash collected:       $151.19 ($10 - PayPal fees)

Samsung Focus:        $163.61 (bought on ebay, price with S&H + MA tax)
Shipping to Cotulla:  $ 11.39
Grand total:          $175.00

(my donation)         $ 23.81

Last edited:

kadajawi

Nov 3, 2009
Maybe I'm missing something, but why not ask the seller to send the phone directly to Cotulla? Oh, I see he is from Russia... maybe you can get someone to buy and send a phone from Germany to him? It's about 200 Euro in Germany, brand new. Maybe ebay.de will find you something cheaper even.

Cotulla

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2007
Yes, we talked in XDA PM with sensboston about ability for DFT team try to "unlock" Samsung devices for custom ROMs :)
Usually we working only with HTC devices, but why not try new?

Actually, We need few days to do static analysis on Samsung ROMs to finally confirm that DFT take this project. (Maybe Samsung devices are too strongly secured so it can become very hard work :) )

Aug 7, 2011
Yangzhou
something in case you didnt know yet.
just Omnia7 Sales are already above 5,000 at Taobao a month in China.
so large Samsung handsets owners...
Charging Paypal via Alipay we usually used is inconvenient.

ChipIn. More difficult ..for chinese . i think..

from wpxap.com

Attachments

• taobao.jpg
    taobao.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:

ByakuyaEXT

Jan 18, 2009
Recklinghausen
I will donate next month something.
Personally I own a Samsung Omnia 7 and its a pretty beautiful device, but what will happen with Custom Roms?
It would be simple fing awesome.

I owned the Xperia X1 with Custom Roms and the Samsung Omnia itself.

DFT you're making a awesome job for the community.
I'm looking forward for your Samsung roms.

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
I'd donate if they it was for CDMA based models (I dont have a Samsung phone a HTC but, a CDMA one). THey don't touch CDMA because they dont have phones and that's with HTC..

Verizon Trophy and the Sprint Arrive is what I am talking about...

Good luck on the quest...maybe someone will start one for us...

Edit: Maybe a few people have some used ones for sale, sending them 2 used ones over 1 new one would be more usefull on testing (incase they brick one in testing), Just a thought to help. As long as the phones work, are in good shape and are not blacklisted it should be fine for testing....Unless they said they only will take new ones for donation.

Just a thought....

Last edited:

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
I'm afraid we collect nothing at this rate :(

C'mon guys, don't be so cheap! I'm expecting xda members not a children/teens only with mom's birthday gift - fancy expensive handset...

As for adults - donating $5 - $10 is nothing, you've spent much more to pay your monthly bill or even usual tips to waiter in restaurant!

Lets appreciate Cotulla's hard work for community, don't be cheap!

Reactions: luckyyyyyy6

dstyl

Apr 24, 2010
Heilbronn
:D yeeah and after Samsung only LG is missing ,waiting for DFT LG roms ^^ Are there som plans or have LG users no Luck ?

And Cotulla/DFT you re bringing back the wm feeling with your roms ;)

In ebay germany there some used focus/omnia sold for under 200 Euros , maybe it helps ;)

Last edited:

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
BTW, do we have moderator here? I've asked ~~Tito~~ to pin this thread to the top but he didn't reply (probably, on vacation). We need to keep thread on top.

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Up again. Let's collect money at least for one Samsung Focus (will cost about $200 with shipping to Cotulla), developer can't do a hack without real hardware. Please, donate!

P.S. Sorry, guys, for reposting, but forum moderators are ignoring my requests to pin this topic to the top for a month :( Also it moved here, to "General" but seems like people here don't know Cotulla (and didn't appreciate his outstanding job!) and not interested in custom ROM's :( Most topics about how good/bad WP7 is, complete blah-blah-blah... But (I believe) with custom ROM's WP7 can beat Android/i-fancy-Phone etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some news:
    http://cotulla.pp.ru/leo/WP7S/IMAG0425.jpg

Installation procedure will consist from two phases:
    1)install MAGLDR via DMLI
    2)use MAGLDR and DWPI to flash custom ROMs (like on LEO)

This was done to provide custom rom flashing as safe as possible (to prevent bricks or minimize their count :D ).

The first release will contains support only for Focus 2K REV1.3.
    The next releases may add support for Focus 4K REV1.4 and Omnia 7 too.
    Hi everybody!

Recently I've spoke with Cotulla and he agreed to try to hack Samsung handsets to create a custom ROM. I think it's a GREAT NEWS! The only one cons - Cotulla don't have any Samsung handset. So, I've decide to collect money to buy used Samsung handsets on ebay and send 'em to Cotulla.

I've checked price for used Samsung handsets on ebay and got about $160-180 for used Focus and $260-270 for Omnia (Cotulla asked for two different handsets - I beleive he knows what he needs!). EMS shipping will costs about $60.

The agenda is:
    • collect $550 using ChipIn service;
    • buy two Samsung's handets, Focus and Omnia;
    • send these phones to Cotulla via EMS or FedEx;
    • rest will be donated to Cotulla;

All money flow will be open and clear; I'll post a receipt scans and periodically will report progress (ChipIn service is already open and clear).

The backup plan (if we can't collect desired amount during month) is:
    if we'll have money for one Focus, I'll send Focus only to Cotulla. If not, collected money will be donated to Cotulla.

I hope the xda already has at least 50-100 generous Samsung handsets owners who want to get a "ROM freedom", so

WBR, SeNS

P.S. Just tried to make a first donation by myself but I can't because ChipIn is wired to my PayPal account :( BTW, I'll donate anyway! :)

P.P.S. Project finished, will publish project's statement later.

*********************************************************************************************

P.P.P.S. Project's financial report:

HTML:
    Total donated:        $161.00 (13 contributors)
    Cash collected:       $151.19 ($10 - PayPal fees)

Samsung Focus:        $163.61 (bought on ebay, price with S&H + MA tax)
    Shipping to Cotulla:  $ 11.39
    Grand total:          $175.00

(my donation)         $ 23.81
    Any chance of a little insight into how you were able to do this? Is it based on an exploit in download mode or is it done via the OS? I'm assuming DMLI is the name of your tool.
    Phone must be in DLMODE during MAGLDR installation.
    You can enter MAGLDR by entering to "Clear storage" mode and then press back.

you know that I hate android but here's a noob q from me for all the android lovers.
    I see that you use a magldr on the samsung to , would it be possible to use the magldr for android flashing to ?
    Current version is seriously cutted, because there are not many free space for MAGLDR.
    Boths SD are not supported at the current moment.
    But in theory, if somebody will want to try/develop/etc, I can add support back.
    But remember android can be very hard task.
    Yes, I successfully got device via mail from sensboston.
    I already started to work.