Collection of Useful Guides and Files (Unlock Bootloader, Fix Softbrick, Update to EMUI 5, Update to EMUI 8, Upgrade to AOSP 10)

Search This thread

lmaohelp

Apr 14, 2021
Huawei P9
Honor 6X
Description
  • None of the work in this thread is actually made by me. Credit will be given where credit is due.
  • This is simply a collection of everything required so that it is easier for people to tinker with their Honor 6X, and be able to restore to a working phone quickly if something goes wrong.
  • All text placed in quotations are either adb or fastboot commands that are to be executed.
  • Your phone will be connected to the computer for most parts of the process, so unless the instructions specifically says to disconnect the cable, keep it connected.
  • The power button for my Honor 6X is broken, so some things I do in this guide might seem weird if you have a working one.
  • Leave any questions, concerns, or feedback below, and I might be able to help with them.
Credits
Prerequisites
  • Huawei Honor 6X (any model)
  • Windows Computer
  • USB to micro-b cable
  • Micro SD card (>4GB)
  • Micro SD card adapter
  • adb and fastboot
  • winrar or alternative archive manager
  • something to touch testpoints with (i.e. tweezers)
Unlocking Bootloader (REQUIRED FILES: PotatoNV-next-v2.1.0-x86.exe | 2.7MB)
We will be using PotatoNV to be able to unlock the bootloader and get the unlock code.
Full tutorial and troubleshooting can be found here if this explanation is not in depth enough.

1. Turn off the device. While touching the appropriate testpoints on the motherboard, connect the phone to your computer.
    • Location of testpoints are beside the fingerprint sensor connector, and can be found in detail here: Honor 6X Testpoints.png | 114 KB
    • I'm not exactly sure how these testpoints work, but the tutorial on GitHub says connecting point A to ground will put the phone into edl mode once you connect to a computer.
    • In a video I saw that they bridged the gap between point A and B with a tweezer, and this worked for me reliably so you should use this method if you can.
  2. Open PotatoNV.
  3. Verify that the target device is correct and that it is using COM3.
  4. Select "Kirin 65x (A)" in the bootloader dropdown.
  5. Click start, and the process should unlock the bootloader and output the new unlock code in the console on the right hand side.
  6. Create a text file and paste the code into it! Do not lose the code or you will have to repeat this process again.

Soft Bricked Device to EMUI 2 (REQUIRED FILES: Honor 6X BRICK to EMUI 2.rar | 564.3 MB)
This is an OS designed for testing purposes and is only used for updating to a newer OS in this guide.
  1. Extract [Honor 6X BRICK to EMUI 2.rar]
  2. Install drivers in [Handset ProductLine 2.01.02.00] by launching [DriverSetup.exe]
  3. Launch [idt.exe] in [IDT_V2.0.0.9]
  4. In the toolbar on the top of the screen, click the toolbox icon to the right of the stop icon.
  5. In the file selection prompt that comes up, select [HL2BLNTMBD001051_Download.xml] from [HL2BLNTMBD001051], and press OK.
  6. Turn off the device. While touching the same testpoints on the motherboard as before, connect the phone to your computer.
  7. In the toolbar at the top of the screen, click the play icon to start the flashing process.
  8. After flashing is done, you should be booted into an OS that only has a couple of testing applications.
EMUI 2 to EMUI 5 (REQUIRED FILES: Honor 6X EMUI 2 to EMUI 5.rar | 1.35GB)
You can stop after these steps if you are happy with using stock EMUI 5.
  1. Extract [Honor 6x EMUI 2 to EMUI 5.rar]
  2. "adb reboot bootloader" to reboot to fastboot mode.
  3. Pick any model from the [HonorOEMINFO] folder and move/copy the corresponding file to the adb root folder.
    • As an example, I used BLN-AL20C00 as it is the most similar to my original model BLN-AL10C00.
    • If you do not have a preference, you can just do exactly what I did for convenience.
  4. "fastboot flash oeminfo BLN-AL20C00"
    • Flashing oeminfo relocks the bootloader.
    • Even if it says your phone is unlocked in the fastboot mode, you are unable to flash images like TWRP.
    • To find out how to install TWRP on EMUI 5 you can read through the EMUI 5 to EMUI 8 section after.
  5. "fastboot reboot"
  6. Using a computer and an SD card adaptor, create a folder named [dload] in the root directory of the SD card, and move/copy the [update.app] file into this folder.
  7. Insert the SD card back into the phone, unlock the device, and click the software update icon on the home screen.
  8. Click "1. SD card upgrade", and confirm any prompts that pop up.
  9. Your phone should reboot, start the update process, and boot when its done.
    • The first boot may take a while (~5 min?) so be patient.
EMUI 5 to EMUI 8 (REQUIRED FILES: Honor 6X EMUI 5 to EMUI 8.rar | 1.86GB)
You can stop after these steps if you are happy with using stock EMUI 8.

1. "fastboot oem unlock code"
    • Replace code with the actual unlock code that you saved in the text file before.
    • Ex. "fastboot oem unlock code 71WTJ3N3Q425ASJ4"
  2. A prompt will pop up on your phone display, asking you to confirm if you want to unlock the bootloader. Use volume buttons to scroll to yes and press the power button to confirm.
  3. Your phone will restart and start factory resetting. The factory reset will fail, as expected, but it is fine, just click restart system. Again, this is the first boot and might take a while (~5 min?).
  4. Once your phone has booted up, "adb reboot bootloader"
  5. Move the file [twrp-3.1.1-0-berlin.img] to the [adb] folder.
  6. Once your phone enters fastboot mode, "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-berlin.img"
  7. "fastboot reboot", once your phone boots, "adb reboot recovery"
    • For some reason "fastboot reboot recovery" does not actually boot you into the recovery, so we will boot into the OS first.
  8. Move the [adb] folder to your C:/ drive, and put the [HWOTA_BLN_Eng] in the [adb] folder.
  9. Open the [HWOTA8_BLN] folder in the [HWOTA_BLN_Eng] folder. Execute [update_eng.bat] by clicking it.
  10. Enter 1 and press enter. (Repack)
  11. Once that is complete, "adb reboot bootloader"
    • The script wants to install TWRP, but the recovery that the script wants to install does not seem to work according to my testing.
    • This is fine because the process of flashing it will fail, as the script tries to execute "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk image" for some reason.
    • The recovery_ramdisk parition does not exist on EMUI 5.
  12. Just ignore the error it gives in the console, as we already have TWRP installed anyway, and press enter.
  13. "fastboot reboot", once your phone boots, "adb reboot recovery"
  14. Once your phone boots into TWRP, press enter.
  15. Enter 2 and press enter. (Using the Script)
  16. Enter 1 and press enter. (Change Firmware)
  17. Press enter to continue, and your phone will reboot to TWRP and start flashing the required files.
  18. Once the process is done, go to Reboot -> System, and you should be booting into EMUI 8 in some time.
EMUI 8 to AOSP 10 (REQUIRED FILES: Honor 6x EMUI 8 to AOSP 10.rar | 553.3MB)
  1. "adb reboot bootloader"
  2. Move all of the files in the [Honor 6X EMUI 8 to AOSP 10] folder to the [adb] folder.
  3. "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk RECOVERY-V2.img"
  4. "fastboot reboot", once your phone boots, "adb reboot recovery"
  5. "adb push -p system-quack-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img /sdcard/"
  6. After that is complete, click on install -> install image button on the bottom right -> click [system-quack-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img] -> choose system image -> swipe to flash.
  7. After the image finishes flashing, go to reboot -> fastboot
  8. "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk RECOVERY_RAMDIS.img"
    • We are flashing our stock recovery back in order to be able to reset our phone properly.
    • Do not factory reset using TWRP as it will softbrick your device, and you will have to start over again.
  9. "fastboot reboot", once your phone boots, "adb reboot recovery"
  10. In the eRecovery, click on clear cache partition, wait for it to complete, then go back and click on factory reset.
  11. The phone will then reboot and factory reset, which will fail, but it is fine, just click reboot and you should be booting into your new OS soon!

Venkata Lochan Nune

Apr 19, 2021
India
Lenovo A7000
Honor 6X
Description
  • None of the work in this thread is actually made by me. Credit will be given where credit is due.
  • This is simply a collection of everything required so that it is easier for people to tinker with their Honor 6X, and be able to restore to a working phone quickly if something goes wrong.
  • All text placed in quotations are either adb or fastboot commands that are to be executed.
  • Your phone will be connected to the computer for most parts of the process, so unless the instructions specifically says to disconnect the cable, keep it connected.
  • The power button for my Honor 6X is broken, so some things I do in this guide might seem weird if you have a working one.
  • Leave any questions, concerns, or feedback below, and I might be able to help with them.
Credits
Prerequisites
  • Windows Computer
  • USB to micro-b cable
  • Micro SD card (>4GB)
  • Micro SD card adapter
  • adb and fastboot
We will be using PotatoNV to be able to unlock the bootloader and get the unlock code.
Full tutorial and troubleshooting can be found here if this explanation is not in depth enough.

1. Turn off the device. While touching the appropriate testpoints on the motherboard, connect the phone to your computer.
    • Location of testpoints are beside the fingerprint sensor connector, and can be found in detail here: Honor 6X Testpoints.png | 114 KB
    • I'm not exactly sure how these testpoints work, but the tutorial on GitHub says connecting point A to ground will put the phone into edl mode once you connect to a computer.
    • In a video I saw that they bridged the gap between point A and B with a tweezer, and this worked for me reliably so you should use this method if you can.
  2. Open PotatoNV.
  5. Click start, and the process should unlock the bootloader and output the new unlock code in the console on the right hand side.
  6. Create a text file and paste the code into it! Do not lose the code or you will have to repeat this process again.

Soft Bricked Device to EMUI 2 (REQUIRED FILES: Honor 6X BRICK to EMUI 2.rar | 564.3 MB)
This is an OS designed for testing purposes and is only used for updating to a newer OS in this guide.
  2. Install drivers in [Handset ProductLine 2.01.02.00] by launching [DriverSetup.exe]
  4. In the toolbar on the top of the screen, click the toolbox icon to the right of the stop icon.
  5. In the file selection prompt that comes up, select [HL2BLNTMBD001051_Download.xml] from [HL2BLNTMBD001051], and press OK.
  6. Turn off the device. While touching the same testpoints on the motherboard as before, connect the phone to your computer.
  7. In the toolbar at the top of the screen, click the play icon to start the flashing process.
  8. After flashing is done, you should be booted into an OS that only has a couple of testing applications.
  3. Pick any model from the [HonorOEMINFO] folder and move/copy the corresponding file to the adb root folder.
    • As an example, I used BLN-AL20C00 as it is the most similar to my original model BLN-AL10C00.
    • If you do not have a preference, you can just do exactly what I did for convenience.
    • Even if it says your phone is unlocked in the fastboot mode, you are unable to flash images like TWRP.
    • To find out how to install TWRP on EMUI 5 you can read through the EMUI 5 to EMUI 8 section after.
  5. "fastboot reboot"
  6. Using a computer and an SD card adaptor, create a folder named [dload] in the root directory of the SD card, and move/copy the [update.app] file into this folder.
  7. Insert the SD card back into the phone, unlock the device, and click the software update icon on the home screen.

• Replace code with the actual unlock code that you saved in the text file before.
  2. A prompt will pop up on your phone display, asking you to confirm if you want to unlock the bootloader. Use volume buttons to scroll to yes and press the power button to confirm.
  3. Your phone will restart and start factory resetting. The factory reset will fail, as expected, but it is fine, just click restart system. Again, this is the first boot and might take a while (~5 min?).
  6. Once your phone enters fastboot mode, "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-berlin.img"
    • For some reason "fastboot reboot recovery" does not actually boot you into the recovery, so we will boot into the OS first.
  8. Move the [adb] folder to your C:/ drive, and put the [HWOTA_BLN_Eng] in the [adb] folder.
  9. Open the [HWOTA8_BLN] folder in the [HWOTA_BLN_Eng] folder. Execute [update_eng.bat] by clicking it.
    • The script wants to install TWRP, but the recovery that the script wants to install does not seem to work according to my testing.
    • This is fine because the process of flashing it will fail, as the script tries to execute "fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk image" for some reason.
  12. Just ignore the error it gives in the console, as we already have TWRP installed anyway, and press enter.
  17. Press enter to continue, and your phone will reboot to TWRP and start flashing the required files.
  18. Once the process is done, go to Reboot -> System, and you should be booting into EMUI 8 in some time.
  2. Move all of the files in the [Honor 6X EMUI 8 to AOSP 10] folder to the [adb] folder.
  6. After that is complete, click on install -> install image button on the bottom right -> click [system-quack-arm64-aonly-vanilla.img] -> choose system image -> swipe to flash.
    • We are flashing our stock recovery back in order to be able to reset our phone properly.
    • Do not factory reset using TWRP as it will softbrick your device, and you will have to start over again.
  10. In the eRecovery, click on clear cache partition, wait for it to complete, then go back and click on factory reset.
  11. The phone will then reboot and factory reset, which will fail, but it is fine, just click reboot and you should be booting into your new OS soon!
That's a really great post! Hats off to your effort...

Include a way to get back to emui 8 from custom ones too that will be quite helpful.

EDIT : I opened a new thread of getting back to EMUI 8 if someone needs.

Last edited:

jottect

Sep 1, 2015
Motorola Edge (2021)
Hi,
I'm failing @ this step (install Huawei USB COM 1.0 driver.
I tried checked every method shown on YT, and no help; I also tried on a different machine, same output :(

Attachments

• image_2021-06-14_134550.png
    image_2021-06-14_134550.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 121

VarianWrynn

Jun 21, 2021
Hello, I am on a model GR5 BLL-L22 EMUI5 and I want to go up to Emui 8. Is it necessary that I first go down to Emui 2 then Emui 5 or can I directly go to Emui 8?

VarianWrynn

Jun 21, 2021
Thanks for the reply, I'm trying it out now and I'm an ultra noob. I have not yet unlocked my bootloader because I am afraid of not being able to connect to the machine anymore because each time I enter bootloader mode with the "adb reboot bootloarder" function my phone disconnects and the functions " fastboot devices "and" adb devices "no longer see it. I am using minimal adb and fastboot app and have already enabled usb debugging in my phone. I do not know if it's normal

Venkata Lochan Nune

Apr 19, 2021
India
Lenovo A7000
Honor 6X
Thanks for the reply, I'm trying it out now and I'm an ultra noob. I have not yet unlocked my bootloader because I am afraid of not being able to connect to the machine anymore because each time I enter bootloader mode with the "adb reboot bootloarder" function my phone disconnects and the functions " fastboot devices "and" adb devices "no longer see it. I am using minimal adb and fastboot app and have already enabled usb debugging in my phone. I do not know if it's normal
Check the link in post 6. Install the drivers from attachments of that post.

That's because you don't have the right drivers(Huawei COM) installed.

VarianWrynn

Jun 21, 2021
I did it, it works now. I just watched the video to use Potatonv, I'm not able to open my phone now, there is not a method to get around that?

VarianWrynn

Jun 21, 2021
I unlock my bootloader but thé factory reset don't fail . can I still continue the procedure for emui8?

VarianWrynn

Jun 21, 2021
Now my phone is unauthorized in adb and fastboot minimal. When i enter adb reboot bootloader he say unauthorized and this adb serveurs $adb vendor keys is not set

Venkata Lochan Nune

Apr 19, 2021
India
Lenovo A7000
Honor 6X
Now my phone is unauthorized in adb and fastboot minimal. When i enter adb reboot bootloader he say unauthorized and this adb serveurs $adb vendor keys is not set
Are you still in EMUI 5?
I did not try using adb on EMUI 5 after unlocking bootloader. It worked perfectly for me on EMUI 8.

If you want to access bootloader or fastboot, turn off your device. Wait for some time. Press and hold Volume down button and plug in usb.
That will take you to fastboot mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description
    Credits
    Prerequisites
    • Windows Computer
    • USB to micro-b cable
    • Micro SD card (>4GB)
    • Micro SD card adapter
    • adb and fastboot

2. Open PotatoNV.

5. "fastboot reboot"

Ok i try fluid os, great thank again
    Hi and thanks for the great post!
    I have a BLN-L22C636 phone. Do I need to rebrand it to a BLN-L22C675 before going from EMUI 5 to EMUI 8?
    I dont think so... The common name of BLN-L22 is sufficient
    you are refering to https://t.me/hi6250group as huawei P8 Lite rom can be installed directly on honor 6X ?

Did you try last P8 Lite release on honor 6X. If so, open a thread heure on Honor 6x XDA forum.

Thanks
    Yeah all the roms I've tried worked on honor 6x..
    I wonder if I can install Android 13 on Honor 6X or Only Android 10 GSIs.