Color Nook or Dell Streak 7?

Search This thread

Drew66

Apr 29, 2011
Streak 7 is on-sale for $299 this weekend. It appears to be better hardware-wise but it does not seem to have as much developer support. Thoughts / advise?

Thanks!

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
Well, first you need to understand that the Streak is a tablet by design. The Nook, while making an awesome tablet, is a hacked eReader.

The Streak will work perfectly fine with the installed Froyo and your probably don't need to do much more than root the thing (which is also one of the reasons there probably are not a lot of developers behind it...not to mention that it was cost prohibitive before as well).

The Streak will give you cameras, microphone and GPS which you won't get with the Nook.

The Streak comes with Gorilla glass (which may or may not be a big deal to you).

Honestly, if I could get a Streak 7 or the Nook Color with the Streak only being $50 more, I would totally have tapped that.

On a side note, I don't see where it is listed at $299? Can you link it? I saw it for $399 when I went to the site.

Drew66

Apr 29, 2011
Well, first you need to understand that the Streak is a tablet by design. The Nook, while making an awesome tablet, is a hacked eReader.

The Streak will work perfectly fine with the installed Froyo and your probably don't need to do much more than root the thing (which is also one of the reasons there probably are not a lot of developers behind it...not to mention that it was cost prohibitive before as well).

The Streak will give you cameras, microphone and GPS which you won't get with the Nook.

The Streak comes with Gorilla glass (which may or may not be a big deal to you).

Honestly, if I could get a Streak 7 or the Nook Color with the Streak only being $50 more, I would totally have tapped that.

On a side note, I don't see where it is listed at $299? Can you link it? I saw it for $399 when I went to the site.

Staples: http://www.staples.com/Dell-Streak-7-Tablet/product_927827?cmArea=SEARCH

Yeah... I am going to have to look at them side by side. Thanks for your input.

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
Yeah, the resolution is 800x480 which is far from the 1024x600 of the Nook. However, that's not the biggest deal on a 7" screen. The reason the Nook has such a resolution is to make it easier on the eyes for reading eBooks.

I might get this for my wife though. She loves the Nook, but that girl seriously needs a GPS. She has lived here 6 years and still gets lost about 2 miles from our home. No idea which direction North is, etc. LOL But I love her...and she is hot as hell. Anyway, I digress...

Reactions: moSess

Drew66

Apr 29, 2011
I looked at them side by side and the resolution was a little better IMO on the Nook but the Streak was very nice. I am familiar with rooting, etc. so either will work. Maybe the Nook will be on sale somewhere this weekend to make it an easier decision.

LBN1

Feb 2, 2011
IMO, it's not just the resolution that is sub par. The Streak screen is just not that vivid and colors seem a little dull. The Nook has a very good screen, on par with the Galaxy Tab. I did a side by side with the Streak and the Galaxy Tab, looking at the same multiple sites and pictures side by side, and the Tab screen was a lot better.

Also, the Streak battery life has been reported as being quite poor, and much less than the Nook.

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
I know this is an old thread now, but the Streak just hit $199 at Staples with a coupon. See this thread on Slickdeals for a link to the coupon. That makes it $50 less than the Nook Color. I'm playing with both now, to see which one I want to keep.

The screen is the most important piece on any tablet. If the screen is ****, it could have an 8-core processor and it would still be a bad buy.

My 2 cents.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
The screen is the most important piece on any tablet. If the screen is ****, it could have an 8-core processor and it would still be a bad buy.

My 2 cents.

Well, that, and the fact that web browsing type usage the battery life is just over 3 hours, periodic use is 6 hours, and not using it at ALL is 12 hours.

And it's got a decent battery, 2800mAh, so possible it's a poorly designed ROM, but as is, yuck.

But yeah, screen res is low, probably bad viewing angles.. Someone in the office has one here but I haven't seen it yet, he's undecided given its battery life and screen res.

$200 for a 7" car nav that won't have any battery concerns, ASSUMING the backlight is bright enough for car use, isn't a bad idea though.

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
Well, that, and the fact that web browsing type usage the battery life is just over 3 hours, periodic use is 6 hours, and not using it at ALL is 12 hours.

And it's got a decent battery, 2800mAh, so possible it's a poorly designed ROM, but as is, yuck.

But yeah, screen res is low, probably bad viewing angles.. Someone in the office has one here but I haven't seen it yet, he's undecided given its battery life and screen res.

$200 for a 7" car nav that won't have any battery concerns, ASSUMING the backlight is bright enough for car use, isn't a bad idea though.

I guess. In addition to that, note that the display on the Nook Color is an IPS display by LG. And boy, does LG make lovely IPS displays. =)

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I've played with the Streak 7 now, and I gotta say it's very tempting... Microphone, stereo speakers that are louder than the NC's, GPS, bluetooth (that works >4"), haptics..

I compared screens, and obviously the NC is sharper, clearer. But ignoring direct comparisons, the Streak's screen ain't bad. The viewing angles are actually great, lay it down away from you and you can still read it, no posterization etc. I can see the pixels, and the text isn't super sharp, but I'm really used to my NC's screen.

I'm seriously thinking of grabbing one for $200 and giving it a run.

jacjar1

May 24, 2011
I've played with the Streak 7 now, and I gotta say it's very tempting... Microphone, stereo speakers that are louder than the NC's, GPS, bluetooth (that works >4"), haptics..

I compared screens, and obviously the NC is sharper, clearer. But ignoring direct comparisons, the Streak's screen ain't bad. The viewing angles are actually great, lay it down away from you and you can still read it, no posterization etc. I can see the pixels, and the text isn't super sharp, but I'm really used to my NC's screen.

I'm seriously thinking of grabbing one for $200 and giving it a run.
Same here.. $100 off of some of the other tablets is also tempting.

poofyhairguy

Feb 19, 2011
Yeah, the resolution is 800x480 which is far from the 1024x600 of the Nook. However, that's not the biggest deal on a 7" screen.

Huge deal.

Most webpages are made for 1024x768 (iPad resolution), which has been the case since the 90s. With a Nook Color you can see the full webpage across as the standard but you have to scroll down more. With a Streak you have to do a lot of back and forth scrolling and zooming to view webpages.

Hell, even high end Android phones are coming out qHD which at sizes like 4 inches is more resolution than a 7 inch Dell Streak.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah, the resolution is 800x480 which is far from the 1024x600 of the Nook. However, that's not the biggest deal on a 7" screen. The reason the Nook has such a resolution is to make it easier on the eyes for reading eBooks.

I might get this for my wife though. She loves the Nook, but that girl seriously needs a GPS. She has lived here 6 years and still gets lost about 2 miles from our home. No idea which direction North is, etc. LOL But I love her...and she is hot as hell. Anyway, I digress...