COLORFLY G708 Phone/ Tablet Review MTK6592, 7" Screen

Search This thread

Pesach85

Dec 20, 2010
Apricena
Hy everybody,

i just received my G708 from China.
The first thing it tryed was to root it.
I tried VRoot on pc (can install the demon but takes for ever to connect to it)
tried VRoot as an APP (fails with a chinese error message)
tried Kingo root on PC (connects and fetches some stuff and then waits for ever)

My ROM: G708_Oc_SV1.01_KV1.2_CAM_RD_20150528
Does i have a different revision? Non of the ROMs i have seen have CAM in there name...
Try king root app, it's able to restore root when it not went fine from pc usb applications.

Yes your software version is different observing from CAM and date of release.

Inviato dal mio G708_Oc utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: Mixermachine

Mixermachine

Jan 5, 2011
Munich
Try king root app, it's able to restore root when it not went fine from pc usb applications.

Yes your software version is different observing from CAM and date of release.

It finally worked with the Kingo App from http://www.kingoapp.com/

Is there a good custom ROM worth installing? Maybe CM11 :)))?
The tab works pretty well now. I made the hotplug governor a bit snappier and limited the max freq to 1,5 GHz.
I don't think there is a custom kernel which supports frequences under 728 MHz and more features, or is it?

Greetings from Germany

Pesach85

Dec 20, 2010
Apricena
It finally worked with the Kingo App from http://www.kingoapp.com/

Is there a good custom ROM worth installing? Maybe CM11 :)))?
The tab works pretty well now. I made the hotplug governor a bit snappier and limited the max freq to 1,5 GHz.
I don't think there is a custom kernel which supports frequences under 728 MHz and more features, or is it?

Greetings from Germany

Could you upload your firmware? I'd like to check it. You could do a backup with twrp then upload or try with mtkdroidtools but default.prop edits are needed.

garage battle

Jun 8, 2009
Hi all. Ive purchased one of these and I live in the United States. I updated to firmware 1.05 today, along with getting a SIM card today. I'm only able to get 2g/Edge speeds, even though I have AT&T.

Do I need a different ROM to have the correct bands? Like an EN version of the firmware?

Thanks!

The Jinx

Jan 4, 2013
Hi all. Ive purchased one of these and I live in the United States. I updated to firmware 1.05 today, along with getting a SIM card today. I'm only able to get 2g/Edge speeds, even though I have AT&T.

Do I need a different ROM to have the correct bands? Like an EN version of the firmware?

Thanks!
Yea this tablet only supports the 2100mhz wcdma frequency. This means you won't be able to get 3g speeds here in the US. Roms and radio flashes won't help because US carriers don't use the 2100 band. (Excluding AWS 1700/2100)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jimworm

Jul 19, 2010
MIUI6 on G708 OC

Guys, I have tried flashing MIUI6, its good but there are "minor-to-major" issues this ROM has to address.

First -MAJOR
No, OSD. Our back, home and recent apps button is missing so no chance for me to return to the previous menu unless I use the status bar notification panel for settings.

Second - Minor
Invalid IMEI. This can be resolved via Engineering mode through frequency setup.

Any takers and someone who tried this too?

BTW, swapped EBR is still working, no problem in shifting your main storage to SD storage as main. :good:

neconnn

Dec 1, 2014
I've manage to install 1.05 (from 1.02).
Before install i swap EBR for (6GB/300MB - its still amuse me why its trying to put data on 300MB partition if you don't swap cards) and boot image (for swap cards) in original ROM. Then flash.

After Flash all is OK. Now Internal Storage is 6GB, (Second) Internal Storage is 14GB (16GB sdcard class 10), and ExternalSD is 300MB.
Tablet is working OK, but was laggy and still laggy for that hardware. Still good hardware with bad software...

If someone can recommend CM or other android (from similar hardware)? My other Chinese tablet was rescued by Oma ROM - its just start flying from turtle speed, now i need to hold him with two hands ;) but for this one still cannot find suitable ROM.

povlhp

Mar 25, 2015
Is there anywhere we can find kernel sources ?
I need a CP210x driver, which does not seem to be included. "USB Device Info" will see the device in Linux, but not on the Android side, so probably a missing driver.

I can see that I should be able to create it without kernel sources though. Anybody has any recommendation ? Toolchain location, headers etc ?

Last edited:

Pesach85

Dec 20, 2010
Apricena
Is there anywhere we can find kernel sources ?
I need a CP210x driver, which does not seem to be included. "USB Device Info" will see the device in Linux, but not on the Android side, so probably a missing driver.

I can see that I should be able to create it without kernel sources though. Anybody has any recommendation ? Toolchain location, headers etc ?
Have you tried to ask to @ariafan @superdragonpt @hyperion70 ?

https://github.com/hyperion70/j608_fly_4511

Here there's complete mtk kernel sources for another mtk6592 device with lot of drivers, a lot for our device, but for lollipop.

Then try to go "cyanogenmod for mediatek device" thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2274332

Cyanogenmod for mediatek devices , there lot of hints and guides to complete manually the sources. Anyway fire855 and derteufel80 built a working cyanogenmod 12.1 for mtk 6592 devices.

I tried to do something at kernel level but I guess the hard part is to configure properly gpios, lcm tpg110 and codegen.dws since our devices has not so much similar other devices. We can try to share our researches and progresses. If you have a Github please share in private with me.

Last edited:

povlhp

Mar 25, 2015
What I hope to do, at least in the first ste, is to compile the CP210x module, that is part of kernel sources, and see if I can modprobe that. If that is possible, then other kernel modules can be compiles as well.
Next step would then be to unpack the initrd (boot.img), and put the driver there, and put it back.

Found an article here describing more or less the whole process (but for a different device) http://brady.thtech.net/tag/cp210x/

Will see when I can get time for this. Disappointed to see no FTDI drivers either. The USB tool sees them in Linux, but not in Android.

Reactions: Pesach85

isikmuhamm

Aug 10, 2014
İstanbul
Not lost

You might have lost your IMEI during the upgrade process. I have restored it using the MTKdroidtools application's feature.
Remember to activate root access in the application and use the IMEI number printed on the original cardboard box of the tablet to restore IMEI1 and reboot.
Good luck.

Hello, my imei is still here, it takes signals only higher places, it doesnot receive signals anywhere

Pesach85

Dec 20, 2010
Apricena
I found that our device is detected by some apps as okapia innova pro, a device sold in India. The specs are similar and maybe something is adaptable. But no luck searching for sourcecode.. Or can anyone share something?

General ID

Apr 21, 2015
Unable to install and run large HD games

After re-partitioning the internal memory using the changed EBR files, everything seems to be working just fine. The only problem I have seen is being unable to install and run applications that require a large external data file which downloads separately from the application itself, mainly HD games such as Real Racing 3 or GT Racing 2.
Anyone has a workaround?

neconnn

Dec 1, 2014
After re-partitioning the internal memory using the changed EBR files, everything seems to be working just fine. The only problem I have seen is being unable to install and run applications that require a large external data file which downloads separately from the application itself, mainly HD games such as Real Racing 3 or GT Racing 2.
Anyone has a workaround?

How your storage looks like:

Something like this will cause problems with additional files:
Internal storage - 4/6 GB
Internal storage 300MB (or 2GB) - problem (my OBB folder is there so additional files are too big for big games)
(your SD)External SD - something (8/10/12 GB)

Swapping sd card and nand (there was explanation in previous posts), will make things like:

Internal Starge - 4/6 GB
(your SD card) Internal storage - something (8/10/12 GB)
External SD - 300MB (or 2GB)

General ID

Apr 21, 2015
How your storage looks like:

Something like this will cause problems with additional files:
Internal storage - 4/6 GB
Internal storage 300MB (or 2GB) - problem (my OBB folder is there so additional files are too big for big games)
(your SD)External SD - something (8/10/12 GB)

Swapping sd card and nand (there was explanation in previous posts), will make things like:

Internal Starge - 4/6 GB
(your SD card) Internal storage - something (8/10/12 GB)
External SD - 300MB (or 2GB)

Thanks neconnn. You were right, and it now works with no further issues.
BTW, are there any apparent shortcomings for using the 300MB External SD partition as opposed to a 2GB partition?

neconnn

Dec 1, 2014
My main problem with all Chinese tablets is this 1GB application partition. I prefer as big as possible application partition cause i am using a lot of applications and games. But in this case there are two internal storages and they are not merged. Thats only reason to swap second one (300MB) with sdcard (2GB-64GB), its not very good,cause you are dependent from sdcard (dont unmount it ;) ).
I prefer one internal storage 6GB and external sd card as normal tablets ;) but ...

felix168

Aug 21, 2015
Hi, newbie here. Just got the new Extreme Edition of the G708, and I'm extremely disappointed. To start, this thing is no smoother than my other 1gb/8gb version when playing HD games and HD videos. If any, I didn't have any problem playing GT Racing with the lower spec tablet, and I've been experience hiccups playing Taichi Panda and GT Racing.
Anyway, to make matter worse, of the advertised 16gb of ROM, there was actually only 12gb-13gb, and only 1.17gb is available to download apps.
So my question is, will the repartition procedures on here work with the Extreme Edition? Thanks.

Last edited:

Pesach85

Dec 20, 2010
Apricena
Hi, newbie here. Just got the new Extreme Edition of the G708, and I'm extremely disappointed. To start, this thing is no smoother than my other 1gb/8gb version when playing HD games and HD videos. If any, I didn't have any problem playing GT Racing with the lower spec tablet, and I've been experience hiccups playing Taichi Panda and GT Racing.
Anyway, to make matter worse, of the advertised 16gb of ROM, there was actually only 12gb-13gb, and only 1.17gb is available to download apps.
So my question is, will the repartition procedures on here work with the Extreme Edition? Thanks.
Theorically it will work. There's not real difference between the two devices except the things you know.

Reactions: felix168

Pesach85

Dec 20, 2010
Apricena
I did some test with g708 extreme rom (just system. img) and then went back to stock v1.5. Well, this last one is very very faster on open apps and starting it. I suggest an attempt (after backup, especially the build.prop) of flash that version of system on extreme version too, maybe it will solve lags in games.

It seems the extreme rom is less optimized on this aspect.

Inviato dal mio G708 Oc utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: felix168

isikmuhamm

Aug 10, 2014
İstanbul
Hello dudes,
Past day I have cracked my tablets front glass w/ a sudden drop but i can still touch the screen and use the tablet, but today I pressed tablet by a mistake and the touch is useless now. I searched AliExpress and found "digitizer touch glass screen" for US $14.00 will it make my tablet usable again or what shall I buy and apply to my tablet to bring it usable again?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [/COLOR]
    1. Ok, because I tried a backup directly with Rashr and it errors out...maybe not enough memory...Need to look at TWRP, sorry if this sounds obvious but how does one install TWRP from Rashr

In Rashr go to Recovery from Storage and pick up your download Custom Recovery file and install .
    Here is Download link for Custom Recovery TWRP https://cloud.mail.ru/public/69118ce4be10/recovery-TWRP_v1.img

P. S. Dont forget to hit Thanks button if i Help you :)
    Anyway root and mtkdroidtools may not work properly due to some settings in default.prop file. I have done a modded boot.img to make all work as it should.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/js0dfph411guv57/boot-new.img?dl=0

ro.secure=0
    ro.allow.mock.location=1
    ro.debuggable=1
    ro.adb.secure=0

Adb insecure app from playstore is needed too.

Inviato dal mio G708 Oc utilizzando Tapatalk
    Ok you will say i take the flahpach from you in post #119, install the driver, usb debug on Tablett, and who can i find the 1.03 Firmware? Ok i found a 1.03 firmware in Post #103, is the right pack?

Greetz

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Free mobile app
    1. Make Full Backup of your apps, data, etc. if you dont want to lose them. For back up use TWRP recovery or what you want.
    2 .Install the MTK drivers
    3. Use This flash tool 3.1352.01 (5.1352.01) https://cloud.mail.ru/public/03d5ee5505eb/SP%20Flash%20Tool%203.1352.01%20(5.1352.01).rar
    4. Download 1.03 ROM https://cloud.mail.ru/public/699ab0bc31f0/G708%20Oc_SV1.03_KV1.0_20150207.zip
    5. Run flash Tool as Administrator (better close down everything else except flash tool )
    - In Flash Tool " Download agent " load MTK_AllInOne_DA.bin
    - In Flash Tool " Scatter Loading " load the " MT6592_Android_scatter " ( unzip the 1.03 ROM and choose scatter file inside the rom folder )
    6. Make sure that USB Debugging is checked on your G708 and turn off it.
    7. In flash tool in " Download " choose " Frimware Upgrade " from drop menu
    8. Press Download and after that connect the G708 to your PC with USB cable.
    9. And Just wait to finish the Procedure. If Everything is OK you will have New 1,03 ROM

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

So i flashed stock recovery and tried to install the OTA 1.0.3. That did not work also. Went back to TWRP and stay on 1.0.2
    If you want try to flash with Flash Tool. It seems that for now we dont have Solution about the OTA 1.03 . Or stay on 1.02 till we find Solution.
    For me is interesting now for little more than low cost the cube t7 which has 64 bit octa core CPU, 4g network and better camera.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Thank you and so will the Cube talk7x u51gt - c8
    ROM MIUI6 5.1.13 ( beta ) for Colorfly G708

Hello, i just saw that there is already MIUI6 5.1.13 ROM for our G708 tablet. :)
    Here is link ( use google translate )
    http://bbs.colorful.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=6488

Need someone that understand how to Upadte to that ROM

Thanks for Help