Comdirect photoTAN app detecting root [Fix found]

Search This thread

brabra

Feb 26, 2010
Update to latest v23
Install modules riru and riru unshare
Remove data from tan app
Go to magisk hide and tick all process to hide included the isolated
Start the tan app and do the activation again.

Problem you need wait 2 days to activate because comdirect use new activation process for photo tan app.
Just went through this process. For me it was sufficiant to update to magisk v23, rename magisk, install riru and riru unshare, hide all processes of phototan app in magisk hide and *clear cache* only for phototan app. This way I did not have to re-activate the phototan app (nor to wait 2 days) again.

Last edited:

Asellus

Sep 12, 2008
Aachen
Strange. I tested it on a tablet with a LineageOS 16 based rom and with renamed Magisk v23, riru and riru unshare. Unfortunately the camera is not working due to LineageOS, so that I cannot test with any photo tan.

I was able to hide Magisk to phototan v8.2.1.

Then I updated to 8.3.0. Before starting I removed Magisk hide from it, and restarted the tablet. Then I applied hide to the 3 processes of phototan 8.3.0 and cleared its cache.

8.3.0 keeps detecting root :-(

Perhaps the isolated process is not the only thing they have built in in 8.3.0

dennis3

Jun 30, 2014
Hey fellas I got it working and others apps detect magisk before.

Update to latest v23
Remove data from tan app

Problem you need wait 2 days to activate because comdirect use new activation process for photo tan app.

Working fine all version 8.3
Thank you (y). This seems to work.

I did an update to v23 for the app and Magisk itself. busybox and magisk hide props config are in latest version.
Riru v25.4.4 was installed through magisk store and riru unshare v2 from github.
My Magisk app is renamed and all processes are ticked in Magisk hide (had to check multiple times, because it unchecked before).
After that I removed cache from tan app and it started without new activation.

allrightlite

Oct 18, 2016
i'm having no luck with 8.3.0.. had to revert to 8.2.1 for now.
magisk v23, Riru v25.4.4 and Riru Unshare 2.0

anybody got any other ideas?
Can you help me how I can get working 8.2.1 by using a second phone (again) with the old photo tan app (or the reader) instead of the letter which I don't have? It's just because I like the push tan and the old app doesn't have this feature. Or can I use the visa card without push tan?

How I said, before it was possible to activate a second phone. Now on Comdirect page there isn't this option anymore sadly after this here.

Conan179

Apr 28, 2010
Can you help me how I can get working 8.2.1 by using a second phone with the old photo tan app (or the reader) instead of the letter which I don't have? It's just because I like the push tan and the old app doesn't have this feature. Or can I use the visa card without push tan?
Forget it, the only way is the letter, to aktivate the app. Call the Hotline and say, you need a letter to aktivate a photo tan app.

kilr00y

Sep 23, 2010
Bayreuth
OnePlus 6
Can you help me how I can get working 8.2.1 by using a second phone (again) with the old photo tan app (or the reader) instead of the letter which I don't have? It's just because I like the push tan and the old app doesn't have this feature. Or can I use the visa card without push tan?

How I said, before it was possible to activate a second phone. Now on Comdirect page there isn't this option anymore sadly after this here.
yeah.. what @Conan179 said.
I had to use the letter to re-register. I guess there's no way around that (any more)

tko

• Oct 23, 2005

Update to latest v23
    Remove data from tan app

thx, working for me too.

Marty4

Jan 8, 2013
    On my Android 11 device with Magisk 23.0, I followed the instructions by @pxrave (enabling all three photoTAN processes in MagiskHide) - but still it doesn't work and the app crashes!

(Disabling EdXposed doesn't make a difference...)

Any other ideas?

Reactions: planck0815

planck0815

Oct 6, 2014
    Samsung Galaxy S21
    Which Android version are you on? The testing I did was on 10, but not yet 11.
    I'm on Android 11 and the app still doesn't work with the procedure described.

I suspect that the app may also check other device properties. In another thread I found the app "Magisk Detector", which delivers the following result (app blacklisted with Magisk Hide):

1621246244939.png

Reactions: Marty4

tko

• Oct 23, 2005
    On my Android 11 device with Magisk 23.0, I followed the instructions by @pxrave (enabling all three photoTAN processes in MagiskHide) - but still it doesn't work and the app crashes!

(Disabling EdXposed doesn't make a difference...)

Any other ideas?
    i use the Canary version of magisk-app (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/topjohnwu/magisk-files/canary/app-debug.apk)
    - hide magisk app with name change.
    - installed the 2 Riru Modules (Riru v25.4.4 and Riru Unshare 2.0)
    - applied magiskhide on all 3 processes of the phototan-app

before all that i also tried my luck with EdXposed/LPosed,... with 0 success.

just to be clear. no "posed"module installed!

Last edited:

swour

Jan 22, 2012
    It has been several restarts and nearly 24 hours with the fix still holding up. Using LOS 17.1 on a SM-A520F. Maybe there is another mechanism involved that triggers detection on other device configurations.

Conan179

Apr 28, 2010
    I flashed magisk Canary
    2021-05-17 18.25.14 - Kopie.jpg
    fashed riru
    2021-05-17 18.25.06 - Kopie.jpg
    add all 3 poits
    2021-05-17 18.25.36 - Kopie.jpg
    After reboot, i can open phototan app one time witout root detetion, second (or more) time its cam the root decetion screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I managed to get it working (Magisk 23.0).

Using only riru unshare was not sufficient for me. A few root apps are installed on my phone, Magisk has been renamed. Still phototan crashed on startup. After trying many things, XPrivacyLua did the trick (-> disable XPosed Hide for phototan & restrict "Get applications" for phototan).

@RfBob AdAway is installed on my phone, I did not need to hide the process
      1. Make sure Magisk Manager is hidden and its app name is changed to something else
      2. Install Riru Core, Riru EdXposed and Riru Unshare, reboot
      3. Activate MagiskHide for all three phototan processes
      4. Open EdXposed Manager, install XPrivacyLua, reboot. If you use Xposed Hide, make sure phototan is not blacklisted
      5. Open XPrivacyLua, select phototan and tick "Get applications"
      6. phototan should work now

For many users, EdXposed & XPrivacyLua are not needed - in my case, phototan is crashing when not using them.
      I did not need to clear phototan app data, but if the app does not work yet you can try clearing phototan cache and if it still does not work, clear app data too. Beware: Should you clear app data you will need to go through the phototan activation process again.
      As my device is not passing either of the two SafetyNet checks, I don't think it they are necessary for phototan.
      Thanks, I did everything from number 2 till 6, but unfortunately it doesn't work, still detecting root (see attached screenshot)
      I can't do number 1, cause the hide function in Magisk app it is greyed out (see second attached screenshot).
      Does someone know why/ what I can do to hide the magisk app?

Btw: so silly, that they (comdirect and their programmers) are making such a trouble about root, I have root to be more (!) secure and privacy protective (AfWall+/firewall, Adaway, XPrivacyLua/Pro,....)
      @comdirect: if you read this, please stop and let us use the app with root. You should stop the app from running, if people use a total old Android without any recent security patches etc, there lies a risk, not with us up to date custom rom+root users!

--edit--
      I use latest Magisk (currently 23.0), Android 11 based custom rom, Android 11 Firmware, Rom is OSS based, no GApps

Using only riru unshare was not sufficient for me. A few root apps are installed on my phone, Magisk has been renamed. Still phototan crashed on startup. After trying many things, XPrivacyLua did the trick (-> disable XPosed Hide for phototan & restrict "Get applications" for phototan).

This also worked for me! Thanks.

Tried XPrivacyLua before, but forgot to unhide PhotoTAN from Xposed. 😑
      Please could you write the detailed steps to success with the phototan app?
      1. Make sure Magisk Manager is hidden and its app name is changed to something else
      4. Open EdXposed Manager, install XPrivacyLua, reboot. If you use Xposed Hide, make sure phototan is not blacklisted

For many users, EdXposed & XPrivacyLua are not needed - in my case, phototan is crashing when not using them.
      I did not need to clear phototan app data, but if the app does not work yet you can try clearing phototan cache and if it still does not work, clear app data too. Beware: Should you clear app data you will need to go through the phototan activation process again.
      As my device is not passing either of the two SafetyNet checks, I don't think it they are necessary for phototan.

@Laptapper
      If you follow these instructions exactly, it will work, I set it up on my note 20 and note 9 today.
      Since version 8.3.0 additional measures to detect root have been added, do not update as MagiskHide won't be able to prevent detection. Until a solution is found I would recommend staying on the previous version for as long as possible.

Finding out what exactly is causing the root detection is beyond my technical abilities but I would provide as much information needed to those willing to help.

---

The solution found by @pxrave appears to be working:

Update to latest v23
      Remove data from tan app

Link to the Riru Unshare module:

Update to latest v23
      Remove data from tan app

Update to latest v23
      Remove data from tan app

Just went through this process. For me it was sufficiant to update to magisk v23, rename magisk, install riru and riru unshare, hide all processes of phototan app in magisk hide and *clear cache* only for phototan app. This way I did not have to re-activate the phototan app (nor to wait 2 days) again.

Update to latest v23
      Remove data from tan app

Thank you (y). This seems to work.

I did an update to v23 for the app and Magisk itself. busybox and magisk hide props config are in latest version.
      Riru v25.4.4 was installed through magisk store and riru unshare v2 from github.
      My Magisk app is renamed and all processes are ticked in Magisk hide (had to check multiple times, because it unchecked before).
      After that I removed cache from tan app and it started without new activation.