Comdirect photoTAN app detecting root [Fix found]

Search This thread

swour

Jan 22, 2012
What about safetynet / unlocked bootloader? (Stock ROM / SM-G991B)
Since my device is running a custom rom, the bootloader is unlocked and the known methods via Magisk to pass the check by Google have been applied. SafetyNet doesn't seem to play a role here. However it is generally a good idea to make sure it will pass to avoid running into trouble if not already a requirement for another app like Google Pay.

It could also be the phone is simply too old for some of the root detection methods to yield results.

tko

• Oct 23, 2005
    I flashed magisk Canary
    After reboot, i can open phototan app one time witout root detetion, second (or more) time its cam the root decetion screen.

okay thats wierd.
    btw i was only talking about the carnary manager app. i have 23.0 flashed .... no idea if that makes a difference...

manager app name is changed?

(just for info... my bootloader is unlocked, safetynet full pass)
    Screenshot_20210517-192211.png

Conan179

Apr 28, 2010
    oh embarrassing embarrassing, after I switched to canary earlier, I forgot to hide the magisk app, just checked in and will now watch it.

hueuebi

May 18, 2021
    I got it working as well.

Safety net is intact.

I only installed riru and riru unshared, I didn't bother renaming magisk.
    Also I used magisk hide to hide all 3 photo tan processes.

Conan179

Apr 28, 2010
    I have found my problem,
    I created a module with the smali-patcher to always take a screenshot, even for apps protected by drm.
    If this is running, the phototan app does not start, without a module it always starts.

Reactions: swour

Knotte

Nov 19, 2012
    Munich
    Just went through this process. For me it was sufficiant to update to magisk v23, rename magisk, install riru and riru unshare, hide all processes of phototan app in magisk hide and *clear cache* only for phototan app. This way I did not have to re-activate the phototan app (nor to wait 2 days) again.
    Thank you as well. I did not even have to rename Magisk, just install the modules, hide all 3 PhotoTAN processes, clear its cache, done!

TheFerhatKing

Jul 22, 2012
    For me Commerzbank photoTan and Comdirect don't work. Note10+ Exynos (N975F) Android 11 One UI 3.1 May Patch DrKetan ROM.
    Installed both modules, hidden in magisk and renamed magisk. Last time it worked was on February Security Patch. I still ask me why I tried it again after tried so much things out.

I still think that the SafetyNet Fix included in ROM does interrupt the Banking App, but ROM Developer doesn't care. Maybe I will change the ROM if I have time.

Last edited:

Seppel007

Jun 10, 2012
    Stuttgart
    Hi, I got it working too :) with Magisk 23.0 then Hiding Magisk and

- installed the 2 Riru Modules (Riru v25.4.4 and Riru Unshare 2.0)
    - applied magiskhide on all 3 processes of the phototan-app

Instantly works again (didnt use it since it updated to 8.3.0 and wasnt working anymore.

Machine: OnePlus 5 Android 9.0.11 unlocked/rooted

Reactions: langweiligh3

Marty4

Jan 8, 2013
    Hi,

Is there anyone on rooted Android 11 who actually found a way to make the latest photoTAN app work?
    I'm running out of ideas...

My current config:
    • Magisk Canary with the following modules:
      • Riru 25.4.4
      • Riru - EdXposed
      • Riru - Enhanced mode for Magisk Hide
      • Systemless Hosts
      • Universal SafetyNet Fix
    (disabling these modules doesn't make a difference)

• Magisk Hide: all three photoTAN processes enabled
    • EdXposed Hide: photoTAN blacklisted
    • SafetyNet passed with BASIC
    • XPrivacyLua: "Get applications" restricted for photoTAN

Even Google Pay works like a charm! Any ideas what could be the problem for photoTAN?

Conan179

Apr 28, 2010
    Is there anyone on rooted Android 11 who actually found a way to make the latest photoTAN app work?
    Post 1

hey_malik

Dec 21, 2011
    Cologne
    The riru fix works for me too. Many thanks for that.

Are there any experiences with doing os updates (OnePlus 6t/oxygenos) with the riru modules installed? Is there a need to uninstall them prior to an update?

RfBob

• Oct 8, 2011
    Augsburg
    I'm on Oxygen OS 11.0.0.2 GM21BA on a OnePlus 7 Pro / Android 11
    Finally managed to get it running with the following setup:

Magisk Canary f822ca5b (23001)
    Magisk Manager Canary f822ca5b (23001) (21)
    comdirect Phototan 8.3.0 (latest version atm)

1. Hid the three processes of phototan in Magisk Manager
    2. renamed Magisk Manager to sth else (This did the trick in the end, I think. I had not known of the possibility to do so via magisks settings)
    (3. Hid the Adaway process in Magisk Manager - propably not necessary) Propably not necessary. Will trigger new problems once adaway or the ROM itself need updating.
    4. started phototan.

Last edited:
    Reactions: allrightlite

ralphabt

May 24, 2021
    I managed to get it working (Magisk 23.0).

Using only riru unshare was not sufficient for me. A few root apps are installed on my phone, Magisk has been renamed. Still phototan crashed on startup. After trying many things, XPrivacyLua did the trick (-> disable XPosed Hide for phototan & restrict "Get applications" for phototan).

@RfBob AdAway is installed on my phone, I did not need to hide the process

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Using only riru unshare was not sufficient for me. A few root apps are installed on my phone, Magisk has been renamed. Still phototan crashed on startup. After trying many things, XPrivacyLua did the trick (-> disable XPosed Hide for phototan & restrict "Get applications" for phototan).

1. Make sure Magisk Manager is hidden and its app name is changed to something else
      2. Install Riru Core, Riru EdXposed and Riru Unshare, reboot
      3. Activate MagiskHide for all three phototan processes
      4. Open EdXposed Manager, install XPrivacyLua, reboot. If you use Xposed Hide, make sure phototan is not blacklisted
      5. Open XPrivacyLua, select phototan and tick "Get applications"
      6. phototan should work now

For many users, EdXposed & XPrivacyLua are not needed - in my case, phototan is crashing when not using them.
      I did not need to clear phototan app data, but if the app does not work yet you can try clearing phototan cache and if it still does not work, clear app data too. Beware: Should you clear app data you will need to go through the phototan activation process again.
      As my device is not passing either of the two SafetyNet checks, I don't think it they are necessary for phototan.
      Thanks, I did everything from number 2 till 6, but unfortunately it doesn't work, still detecting root (see attached screenshot)
      I can't do number 1, cause the hide function in Magisk app it is greyed out (see second attached screenshot).
      Does someone know why/ what I can do to hide the magisk app?

Btw: so silly, that they (comdirect and their programmers) are making such a trouble about root, I have root to be more (!) secure and privacy protective (AfWall+/firewall, Adaway, XPrivacyLua/Pro,....)
      @comdirect: if you read this, please stop and let us use the app with root. You should stop the app from running, if people use a total old Android without any recent security patches etc, there lies a risk, not with us up to date custom rom+root users!

--edit--
      I use latest Magisk (currently 23.0), Android 11 based custom rom, Android 11 Firmware, Rom is OSS based, no GApps

This also worked for me! Thanks.

Tried XPrivacyLua before, but forgot to unhide PhotoTAN from Xposed. 😑
      Please could you write the detailed steps to success with the phototan app?
      1. Make sure Magisk Manager is hidden and its app name is changed to something else
      4. Open EdXposed Manager, install XPrivacyLua, reboot. If you use Xposed Hide, make sure phototan is not blacklisted

For many users, EdXposed & XPrivacyLua are not needed - in my case, phototan is crashing when not using them.
      I did not need to clear phototan app data, but if the app does not work yet you can try clearing phototan cache and if it still does not work, clear app data too. Beware: Should you clear app data you will need to go through the phototan activation process again.
      As my device is not passing either of the two SafetyNet checks, I don't think it they are necessary for phototan.

@Laptapper
      If you follow these instructions exactly, it will work, I set it up on my note 20 and note 9 today.
      Since version 8.3.0 additional measures to detect root have been added, do not update as MagiskHide won't be able to prevent detection. Until a solution is found I would recommend staying on the previous version for as long as possible.

Finding out what exactly is causing the root detection is beyond my technical abilities but I would provide as much information needed to those willing to help.

---

The solution found by @pxrave appears to be working:

Hey fellas I got it working and others apps detect magisk before.

Update to latest v23
      Install modules riru and riru unshare
      Remove data from tan app
      Go to magisk hide and tick all process to hide included the isolated
      Start the tan app and do the activation again.

Problem you need wait 2 days to activate because comdirect use new activation process for photo tan app.

Working fine all version 8.3

Link to the Riru Unshare module:

Update to latest v23
      Remove data from tan app

Problem you need wait 2 days to activate because comdirect use new activation process for photo tan app.

Update to latest v23
      Remove data from tan app

Just went through this process. For me it was sufficiant to update to magisk v23, rename magisk, install riru and riru unshare, hide all processes of phototan app in magisk hide and *clear cache* only for phototan app. This way I did not have to re-activate the phototan app (nor to wait 2 days) again.

Update to latest v23
      Remove data from tan app

Thank you (y). This seems to work.

I did an update to v23 for the app and Magisk itself. busybox and magisk hide props config are in latest version.
      Riru v25.4.4 was installed through magisk store and riru unshare v2 from github.
      My Magisk app is renamed and all processes are ticked in Magisk hide (had to check multiple times, because it unchecked before).
      After that I removed cache from tan app and it started without new activation.