• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Coming from New Oneplus 9 Pro to S21 Ultra

Search This thread

nitinvaid

So last week i bought new Oneplus 9Pro was using 7Pro previously
the battery on 9pro is soo worse..... and its not possible for me to charge the phone everytime SOT time is less then 3 hours
heating issues......
if i use camera it work for few min then recording stops getting notification phone heats up....

in the end i am really not satisfied with it.. now i am thinking to switch to Samsung S21 Ultra..
how's the battery life i am from india so ill be getting exynos version.. and can the samsung be easily rootable? any other drawback ?

HAFBeast

Apr 9, 2016
Dallas
the battery on 9pro is soo worse..... and its not possible for me to charge the phone everytime SOT time is less then 3 hours
heating issues......
if i use camera it work for few min then recording stops getting notification phone heats up....

in the end i am really not satisfied with it.. now i am thinking to switch to Samsung S21 Ultra..
how's the battery life i am from india so ill be getting exynos version.. and can the samsung be easily rootable? any other drawback ?
I went from 9 Pro to the S21 Ultra Snapdragon version a few days ago and it is a very nice device so far. I just got so fed up with OnePlus price increases while having awful customer service again and again, across several years but getting worse and worse with my 7 Pro and 9 Pro.

My takeaway.
1. The S21 Ultra display seems smoother in PokeMon go. the 7 Pro and 9 Pro never felt high refresh rate and I was always a bit bummed it wasn't better, but the S21 Ultra seems so much smoother in FPS refresh.
2. The 21 Ultra seems to have battery optimizations that don't ruin other apps. SMS Backup and restore would fail again and again on my 7 Pro and 9 Pro. I would try to restore 60k messages and I wouldn't have any other apps open, but just having my screen timeout and the app would stop and act like I never started it. I tried disabling battery optimizations, but that didn't fix anything. The S21 Ultra powered through these and didn't raise any issues. In fact, I restored about 800k messages (a lot of old backups I wasn't sure if they had restored properly so just making sure), and the S21 ultra powered through. I even opened Pokemon go while doing this.
4. Battery life on the S21 Ultra seem very good. The display is nice and bright and fluid. One noticably difference is the weight of the device. My 21 Ultra feels way bigger and heavier than my 9 Pro. The fingerprint scanner is always pretty fast and accurate. Also, since the screen isn't curved that much, the screen protectors will be easier to apply and not have them peel up or offer poor protection at teh edges.

Last edited:
Reactions: ayman86

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I have the Exynos model.

• Battery life is immense, I regularly get to the end of a 16+ hour day with circa 40% battery and having had over 4 hours SOT. Reaching 6 hours+ SOT on these phones is easy.
  • No issues with heating myself, although I've read others who have. My device with normal user hovers in the high 20s / low 30s degrees C, but that's with UK ambient temps. In India that's bound to be higher. If I record video or use the phone for something intense, it will go up to the high 30s but I think I've only seen it over 40 degrees once when I was benchmarking not long after I first got it in March.
  • I've rooted mine, it's very easy to do. However, I regretted it, but only because my 8 year old son dropped my phone about a week after I did that and Samsung refused to fix it even on a paid, non-warranty repair thanks to their bulls**t Knox policy. As such I'll never buy another Samsung device but I can't lie even though I'm annoyed with them, this is the best phone I've owned and the best phone out there right now I think. I bought a screen assembly for £280 UK, it's really easy to fit and now the phone is as good as new.

Reactions: maxq1

nitinvaid

I have the Exynos model.

• Battery life is immense, I regularly get to the end of a 16+ hour day with circa 40% battery and having had over 4 hours SOT. Reaching 6 hours+ SOT on these phones is easy.
  • No issues with heating myself, although I've read others who have. My device with normal user hovers in the high 20s / low 30s degrees C, but that's with UK ambient temps. In India that's bound to be higher. If I record video or use the phone for something intense, it will go up to the high 30s but I think I've only seen it over 40 degrees once when I was benchmarking not long after I first got it in March.
  • I've rooted mine, it's very easy to do. However, I regretted it, but only because my 8 year old son dropped my phone about a week after I did that and Samsung refused to fix it even on a paid, non-warranty repair thanks to their bulls**t Knox policy. As such I'll never buy another Samsung device but I can't lie even though I'm annoyed with them, this is the best phone I've owned and the best phone out there right now I think. I bought a screen assembly for £280 UK, it's really easy to fit and now the phone is as good as new.
Yes samsung service center personal are like dogs......
They sniff your phone to find out how to say to customer your warranty is void :p

Reactions: blackhawk

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'd go with Note 20U, you'll want the SD card slot.
It's also running on the less problematic Android 10.

How did you come to that conclusion? I've got 256gb in my Ultra and I doubt I'll ever get near to filling it and I suspect the same would apply to the vast majority of other users.

Gone are the days were films and music media needed to be held locally, it's almost all stream services now. Vast storage on a phone these days isn't a necessity for the majority, and that will only become more the case as we move forward.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
How did you come to that conclusion? I've got 256gb in my Ultra and I doubt I'll ever get near to filling it and I suspect the same would apply to the vast majority of other users.

Gone are the days were films and music media needed to be held locally, it's almost all stream services now. Vast storage on a phone these days isn't a necessity for the majority, and that will only become more the case as we move forward.
You can't stream what's not there... and you waste battery. No internet, no music.
With over 200 albums including HDCDs I don't care about online music much other than to sample. This arrangement allows me to fully utilize Poweramp's extensive audio features as well so it sounds better and the playlists/library are embedded and fully backed up.
Zero cloud dependent here.

You need an SD card to use as a data drive for critical data. All my machines are set up with an OS drive and a separate data drive(s).
Android OS's rarely crash until they do. At that point I can do a full restore in under 2 hours with no internet connection. Apps, backup files, everything I need is ready to go. No PC needed either as all the data is already on a .5tb V30 card which is redundantly backed up to a flash drive and hdds just in case.

The data drive also serve as a buffer zone in the case of malware infections. In over 15 years only once did malware breach a data drive; I can't say the same for the OS drives.

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
You can't stream what's not there... and you waste battery. No internet, no music.
With over 200 albums including HDCDs I don't care about online music much other than to sample. This arrangement allows me to fully utilize Poweramp's extensive audio features as well so it sounds better and the playlists/library are embedded and fully backed up.
Zero cloud dependent here.

You need an SD card to use as a data drive for critical data. All my machines are set up with an OS drive and a separate data drive(s).
Android OS's rarely crash until they do. At that point I can do a full restore in under 2 hours with no internet connection. Apps, backup files, everything I need is ready to go. No PC needed either as all the data is already on a .5tb V30 card which is redundantly backed up to a flash drive and hdds just in case.

The data drive also serve as a buffer zone in the case of malware infections. In over 15 years only once did malware breach a data drive; I can't say the same for the OS drives.

Ah, so you were taking your needs and saying it applied to him. Gotcha.

Personally, I perform a regular Nandroid backup so no matter what happens I have a means of returning it to its previous state.

Even speaking as someone who's worked in IT for 25+ years it sounds like you're using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Reactions: ione2380

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Ah, so you were taking your needs and saying it applied to him. Gotcha.

Personally, I perform a regular Nandroid backup so no matter what happens I have a means of returning it to its previous state.

Even speaking as someone who's worked in IT for 25+ years it sounds like you're using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
Allow me to retort *grin*,
I'm saying simply don't buy a very expensive phone that grossly limits your options by having no SD card support.

For years I used my SD card haphazardly like most until I realized I had a 1tb dual drive computer in my hands.
A SD card used correctly increases not only the memory capacity but the speed, redundancy, versatility and security of an Android. If you root you definitely want one...
So yeah, I think you goofed up🤣

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
We clearly have different definitions of what constitutes having one's options grossly limited.

Would I choose having an SD card slot over not having one? Yes. Would I describe not having one as being grossly limiting? No. I have enough knowledge of how phones and general technology works to get around any so called limitations the lack of one would bring.

As for the goofed up comment. Odd.

Reactions: panhkh811

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
We clearly have different definitions of what constitutes having one's options grossly limited.

Would I choose having an SD card slot over not having one? Yes. Would I describe not having one as being grossly limiting? No. I have enough knowledge of how phones and general technology works to get around any so called limitations the lack of one would bring.

As for the goofed up comment. Odd.

It's impossible to replace a data drive with up to a terabyte of additional storage. There's no easy workaround to not having instant access to data.

For a high end Samsung you should have this option. That's one reason repeat buyers choose Samsung, options, more then you'll ever likely use but they are there... or should be.
Something the inept marketing people at Samsung chose to ignore.
Actions have consequences Sammy.
I could buy a new flag$hip phone now but I choose not to. Instant karma Sammy...

Meanwhile some of the competition decided they would include SD card slots.
And one of those boasts the new graphene battery technology as well. As Sammy $crews around with their floundering Fold beta hardware some companies are slamming down advanced tech solutions that work.

Have bought the 21 Ultra 16 GB RAM 512 GB version
i have wireless charger of oneplus... it seems to be not working with this its detecting and then notification charging paused same thing again and again in loop....
The S21U will charge with any wireless charger that is Qi certified. If it isn't, it may not charge

nitinvaid

I have the Exynos model.

I am not able to figure it out how to root it.... easy way

chetly968

Jul 15, 2014
Paradise Valley

It isn't necessary but it's nice to have. I was hesitant to buy the s21 ultra and waited a few months just because of the SD card slot. I can manage to work around not having it but why if you don't have to? I like having my lossless music and all my photos and videos on one card that I can move on to the next phone. Obviously you gotta change with the times now that no phones really have it any more. Though I'm jumping to the Sony Xperia 1 III as soon as it's available.

chetly968

Jul 15, 2014
Paradise Valley
Have bought the 21 Ultra 16 GB RAM 512 GB version
i have wireless charger of oneplus... it seems to be not working with this its detecting and then notification charging paused same thing again and again in loop....
I have the same issue with the onplus wireless charger and any of my Samsung phones. The Note 20 ultra, z Fold 2 or the s21 ultra. Not sure why that is the case. Luckily I have a bunch of Samsung fast wireless chargers laying around as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Believe me dont go for 9Pro
    S21 Ultra is way much better i was also not samsung FAN since S4 but now one plus is not what we think
    I'd go with Note 20U, you'll want the SD card slot.
    It's also running on the less problematic Android 10.

Believe me dont go for 9Pro
    S21 Ultra is way much better i was also not samsung FAN since S4 but now one plus is not what we think
    heating issues......

I went from 9 Pro to the S21 Ultra Snapdragon version a few days ago and it is a very nice device so far. I just got so fed up with OnePlus price increases while having awful customer service again and again, across several years but getting worse and worse with my 7 Pro and 9 Pro.

My takeaway.
    1. The S21 Ultra display seems smoother in PokeMon go. the 7 Pro and 9 Pro never felt high refresh rate and I was always a bit bummed it wasn't better, but the S21 Ultra seems so much smoother in FPS refresh.
    2. The 21 Ultra seems to have battery optimizations that don't ruin other apps. SMS Backup and restore would fail again and again on my 7 Pro and 9 Pro. I would try to restore 60k messages and I wouldn't have any other apps open, but just having my screen timeout and the app would stop and act like I never started it. I tried disabling battery optimizations, but that didn't fix anything. The S21 Ultra powered through these and didn't raise any issues. In fact, I restored about 800k messages (a lot of old backups I wasn't sure if they had restored properly so just making sure), and the S21 ultra powered through. I even opened Pokemon go while doing this.
    4. Battery life on the S21 Ultra seem very good. The display is nice and bright and fluid. One noticably difference is the weight of the device. My 21 Ultra feels way bigger and heavier than my 9 Pro. The fingerprint scanner is always pretty fast and accurate. Also, since the screen isn't curved that much, the screen protectors will be easier to apply and not have them peel up or offer poor protection at teh edges.
    I have the Exynos model.

I have the Exynos model.

Yes samsung service center personal are like dogs......
    They sniff your phone to find out how to say to customer your warranty is void :p