Community development strength

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
You're a power user. Can the Google Pixel 2 keep up? Rate this thread to express how "healthy" the development scene is for the Google Pixel 2. A higher rating indicates available root methods, kernels, and custom ROMs.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Reactions: neonjam

Wartickler

Nov 4, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
How in the hell does Google let their devices languish in locked bootloader prison with carriers anymore? Why don't they give us the ability to root the phone if we're developers? You'd think you could just jump right in and unlock your bootloader on the Google Store purchased ones (unlocked ones - not Verizon trash) except they don't provide a cable TO CONNECT TO YOUR PC WTF WHY AM I YELLING

xdaninja

Aug 16, 2008
How in the hell does Google let their devices languish in locked bootloader prison with carriers anymore? Why don't they give us the ability to root the phone if we're developers? You'd think you could just jump right in and unlock your bootloader on the Google Store purchased ones (unlocked ones - not Verizon trash) except they don't provide a cable TO CONNECT TO YOUR PC WTF WHY AM I YELLING

am i missing something? i got my pixel 2 from google store, and unlocked / rooted it easily the same day i received it thanks to awesome members here at XDA

it also included the necessary USB-C cable (and adapter to connect to type A usb ports)

Reactions: eziop

Wartickler

Nov 4, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Dev strength

it also included the necessary USB-C cable (and adapter to connect to type A usb ports)

The cable I got was USB-C to USB-C to plug into the phone and the charging brick. The adapter I got was USB-C male/USB-A female so you could attach it to an old phone and transfer contacts. You telling me you got a cable/adapter that let you connect your new phone to your PC?? I'm even more pissed off if that's the case...poor distribution QA on top of the other issues too?!

Reactions: timmachovec

razrlover

Mar 28, 2012
The cable I got was USB-C to USB-C to plug into the phone and the charging brick. The adapter I got was USB-C male/USB-A female so you could attach it to an old phone and transfer contacts. You telling me you got a cable/adapter that let you connect your new phone to your PC?? I'm even more pissed off if that's the case...poor distribution QA on top of the other issues too?!

I received the same as you. I used the cable from my moto z2, not sure how it could have come with anything different than what we received.

Yes Google should have included a USB C to USB A male vs female for sure.

kendong2

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 29, 2009

So Google is now responsible for you having a PC without the proper connections to plug your phone in?
Or are they responsible for you not being able to order a Micro USB to USB C adapter for a few bucks?

Which one is it I wonder... :confused:

Wartickler

Nov 4, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
So Google is now responsible for you having a PC without the proper connections to plug your phone in?
Or are they responsible for you not being able to order a Micro USB to USB C adapter for a few bucks?

I really want you to be saying this in a sarcastic tone, but since this is the internet and I can't read tone I'm just going to fly into a rage instead.

Are you seriously suggesting that once the pixel 2 comes out everyone on the planet immediately gained the ability to connect USB-C straight to their computers? Or is it that you are seriously suggesting that it is somehow nonsensical to at least include an extra adapter that mates this new cable type to everyone's existing computer connections? Yes we can purchase a crap-ton of adapters that get us from the phone to the ISS but for the minimal cost of this simple connection type and for the cost I paid I would expect that I would be able to connect my development machine to this device in the exact same fashion I've been able to connect EVERY OTHER DEVICE I'VE EVER HAD. They've all been able to connect to my PC out of the box. This is the first time I've opened a new device box and been at a loss for how to immediately get to working on it. Somehow I believe this was an oversight on the part of Google.

kendong2

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 29, 2009
I really want you to be saying this in a sarcastic tone, but since this is the internet and I can't read tone I'm just going to fly into a rage instead.

Are you seriously suggesting that once the pixel 2 comes out everyone on the planet immediately gained the ability to connect USB-C straight to their computers? Or is it that you are seriously suggesting that it is somehow nonsensical to at least include an extra adapter that mates this new cable type to everyone's existing computer connections? Yes we can purchase a crap-ton of adapters that get us from the phone to the ISS but for the minimal cost of this simple connection type and for the cost I paid I would expect that I would be able to connect my development machine to this device in the exact same fashion I've been able to connect EVERY OTHER DEVICE I'VE EVER HAD. They've all been able to connect to my PC out of the box. This is the first time I've opened a new device box and been at a loss for how to immediately get to working on it. Somehow I believe this was an oversight on the part of Google.

Sure sure. Totally an oversight on the part of Google that you did not check which accessoires come with the phone, totally agree.

BTW, what do you think of the included headset? I think the volume is much too low, I can't hear anything. On the other hand, I never had the cables twisted yet!

Reactions: Rukbat

z28james

Jun 13, 2009
My 200 dollar Acer laptop has a USB C port and the provided cable works fine for me. USB C is the modern standard that everyone is moving to. Is it that unreasonable to think that Google would provide cabling for the modern standard that most manufacturers are adopting?

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
I can't be more happy with this phone.

The only thing I'd improve is to have 4 years of Android updates instead of 3.

In development they will always be on the top because of the open binaries / developers previews etc.

However....I think that over the last years security became a top priority and now a lot of people don't open the boot loader. Even Google disabled android pay when you open it.

And the price is not in favour neither. I think Google needs to release a budget Pixel at lower price...something like 400-450$.

Last edited:

bland.life

Oct 21, 2010
iron2000.deviantart.com
Theres the kernels and some homebrew ROMs.

Feels like this device is hard to work on.
TWRP now fails to decrypt after the February update.
A/B partition seems hard to support so theres no official custom ROMs for Pixel 2.

So far this phone is not what I would recommend for the serial flashers and customizers.
Just a normal phone for normal users.

Last edited:

LordM

May 31, 2007
Hamburg
I see development at Linage, at AICP for our device.
GApps are now available for Android 8.1. Many changes had to be made because of project Treble.
There is development, but for now many ppl look into things on their own and not as collective.

Rukbat

Feb 15, 2012
Fayetteville NC
A/B partition seems hard to support so theres no official custom ROMs for Pixel 2.
It's something we came up with at Citibank in about 1989 - update to an unused part of storage. If it works, point whatever is using that part of the firmware at the update and use the place the old version sat as the next update space. The update crashed right on the last byte? No problem. You haven't repointed to it, so it's just empty space until the next try. Better than a bricked phone because the battery died right at the end of an update. It's about time Google caught up to the late 80s. (Yes, that was sarcasm.) My only complaint is the SD card - I have to carry an adapter around with me, and keep the SD card and adapter in my pocket. 128GB internal and 256GB external would have been nice. (I already have about 50GB used, and that's with only one TWRP backup.)

Maybe it's time to flash a kernel with speed adjustment, although it seems to be idling around 430-450MHz.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You're a power user. Can the Google Pixel 2 keep up? Rate this thread to express how "healthy" the development scene is for the Google Pixel 2. A higher rating indicates available root methods, kernels, and custom ROMs.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

am i missing something? i got my pixel 2 from google store, and unlocked / rooted it easily the same day i received it thanks to awesome members here at XDA

Dev strength

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone