Compatible Magnetic Qi Car Charger

Search This thread

152bobby

Oct 18, 2019
Wokingham
I've been on Youtube for the last hour reviewing magnetic qi car chargers.

Obviously, they all differ considerably for each phone.

I'm looking for one that just has a flat front surface with no arms or clamps, so this means that a magnet of some kind has to go on the phone cover that I have on my P5.

There are vent and windscreen mount versions, I'm looking for one that is as unnoticeable as possible, so forget the windscreen mount type.

Has anyone got any experience with one of these. Whatever I get must not interfere when charging my P5 on the Google Pixel Stand.

Thanks

152bobby

Oct 18, 2019
Wokingham
With a metal plate inside the phone cover, placed carefully so it does not interfere with the wireless charging on my Pixel Stand and whatever I get for the car. I've had a normal magnetic mount in the car before using this method and it did not interfere with the wireless charging, as long as its placed properly.

jallenhayslett

Dec 23, 2012
The problem with the Pixel 5, and, to some extent, all phones with wireless charging, is that the location of the space for positioning the metal plate is either at the very top or the very bottom of the phone, thus making the phone either very bottom heavy or top heavy and prone to sliding and slippage.

Apple's MagSafe gets around this because their magnetic mounting system is built around the charging coil so as to not interfere with charging and provide a multipoint magnetic connection that is centered, more secure, and stays in alignment.

The only alternative that I've found that works for Android phones and works well is a system like the Mous Limitless system of cases and accessories. I've been using their case, card wallet, and charger mount for about a month now and they are great. If you want more info on them you can just read my post in the thread below this one where I detail my experience with their products. They also have their own info and explainers on their site at mous.co.

Reactions: 152bobby

152bobby

Oct 18, 2019
Wokingham
The problem with the Pixel 5, and, to some extent, all phones with wireless charging, is that the location of the space for positioning the metal plate is either at the very top or the very bottom of the phone, thus making the phone either very bottom heavy or top heavy and prone to sliding and slippage.

Apple's MagSafe gets around this because their magnetic mounting system is built around the charging coil so as to not interfere with charging and provide a multipoint magnetic connection that is centered, more secure, and stays in alignment.

The only alternative that I've found that works for Android phones and works well is a system like the Mous Limitless system of cases and accessories. I've been using their case, card wallet, and charger mount for about a month now and they are great. If you want more info on them you can just read my post in the thread below this one where I detail my experience with their products. They also have their own info and explainers on their site at mous.co.
Thanks for that and the mous info, funny, I was looking at their products online just last night. I think I'll have a closer look.
Cheers

152bobby

Oct 18, 2019
Wokingham
Thanks for that and the mous info, funny, I was looking at their products online just last night. I think I'll have a closer look.
Cheers
Actually, just one other question, does the Mous cases work perfectly with the Pixel stand ? If I go down the Mous route, I have to do my research thoroughly, because a case and a car qi charging pad is not cheap !!

jallenhayslett

Dec 23, 2012
I would imagine there would be no magnetic attachment compatibility if the phone attaches to the Pixel Stand magnetically, but, as far as wireless charging, to the best of my knowledge it does not interfere with any other wireless charging devices.

I have two Anker wireless chargers, one pad and one stand, and I haven't had any trouble with either one.

Reactions: 152bobby

152bobby

Oct 18, 2019
Wokingham
Is there a preferred cigar/cigarette adapter to use with the Mous wireless chargers . If I'm going to cough up this amount of money to accompany a already expensive phone purchase, why skimp on the adapter 😂

jallenhayslett

Dec 23, 2012
They supply a USB-C lighter port adapter as well as a braided USB-C cable with the charger mount, but I also have an Anker port adapter with USB-C and USB-A and it works as well.

Also, just for good measure, I thought I'd also attach a front and rear photo from my mount, to give you an idea of what it would look like.

Just remember, as per my post in the other thread, if you don't want to use the supplied vent clip, which I advise against as it's not very secure, you'll need a mount from another device with a 17mm ball joint. I previously had an iOttie One Touch CD slot mount and it worked perfectly.

Attachments

• PXL_20210513_173453650.jpg
    PXL_20210513_173453650.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 118
  • PXL_20210513_173507860.jpg
    PXL_20210513_173507860.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 119

152bobby

Oct 18, 2019
Wokingham
Excellent information, much appreciated, thanks. I'll update you with my progress.
Thanks. I have placed my order for the P5 case and the vent mount adapter (my intentions is to try the vent mount, if no good, I'm sure I can detach the mount part at the rear and attached it to my car dash with double sided tape). I did manage to contact Mous and they kindly gave me a 20% code for my first order 😀

jallenhayslett

Dec 23, 2012
Thanks. I have placed my order for the P5 case and the vent mount adapter (my intentions is to try the vent mount, if no good, I'm sure I can detach the mount part at the rear and attached it to my car dash with double sided tape). I did manage to contact Mous and they kindly gave me a 20% code for my first order 😀
If the tape method doesn't work, some of these options might. Just make sure the ball is 17mm. They all seem to be around $10, so not terrible, and cheaper than buying an entirely separate mounting system just for the ball joint.

152bobby

Oct 18, 2019
Wokingham
Thanks, I've been looking at these, should I need one. However, I don't see these with the part that would go on the rear of the Mous charging pad for the ball part to click in to ?

152bobby

Oct 18, 2019
Wokingham
Of course it is, I've just looked at the Mous air vent mount....I knew I shouldn't have had another beer !

Thanks, I'll see how it goes when it arrives.

152bobby

Oct 18, 2019
Wokingham
Of course it is, I've just looked at the Mous air vent mount....I knew I shouldn't have had another beer !

My Mous items arrived today. The case fits nicely, the car air vent actually works well in my car, but I can see it pulling off the vent eventually when removing the phone, but it's not where I want my phone. So I have ordered a 17mm ball joint from Amazon, so I can have it exactly where I want my phone to sit in the car. I've tested the wireless charging and magnetic strength and all is good. I have also tested the wireless charging on my two Pixel stands and my Anker stand also and they all charge fine through the case. So all good for a while :). Looking at the case in more detail and feeling it, I have high confidence in this case protecting my phone should I drop it. Thanks for the help I've had in making a decision for this purchase.

Reactions: jallenhayslett

152bobby

Oct 18, 2019
Wokingham
**UPDATE**
So I have had both the car wireless charger and the Mous case for my P5 for nearly a week now and I have come across a charging issue. I emailed Mous customer support about it and got a reply today, which to be honest, does not really help me and I think they almost admit that the Mous products are not all they are cracked up to be. They refer to iphone (which certainly does not help me).They have offered a full refund, but I am going to do some more testing myself, as I have a 2 hour drive to do tomorrow and I "think" the issue I am having is to do with me using Android Auto (Google Maps) wirelessly in the car whilst charging, I'm not exactly sure yet, but I am not replying to them until I have done this final test. I am going to use wireless Google Maps for half of my journey with the P5 on the charger and the other half with the phone just sitting on the charger charging with no Google Maps on.I have copied and pasted their reply below, my original message to them, is at the end of their reply, so read this first before reading their reply and possibly give me your thoughts ?
Hi Bobby,

Thanks for reaching out to us and I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve had some issues with your Wireless Charger.

I've had a word with our tech wizards, and they have suggested that you please see possible troubleshooting advice for your phone not charging correctly below:

1. For Apple users: Apple is frequently updating their firmware, which affects the wireless charging system. Therefore some of Apple's own updates could make wireless charging worse or better while they are tuning the software.

2. Wireless charging works by transmitting power from one coil of wire to another, however, the alignment of these coils is very important to transmit the power efficiently. Please make sure that your phone (even without a case) is positioned correctly and centrally, as this will improve charging time and efficiency.

3. Please ensure the voltage is set to the highest possible output to ensure your charger has the best chance of functioning through our case. Some wireless chargers will not have enough power to transmit power to the phone with a case on so make sure you are using a wireless charger that has power from the mains or uses a high-quality USB adaptor supplying more than 1.2 Amps.

4. We will soon be launching Mous wireless charging accessories which are designed to work seamlessly with our cases and will perfectly auto-align the receiver and transmitter coils in the phone and charger.

However, I can appreciate that this is not relevant for everyone, so you are welcome to return your Car Mount if you still wish.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Richard
Customer Experience Advisor
Mous Products Ltd.
On Mon, 24 May at 1:28 AM , Bobby McLeish
wrote:
Hello, I have only had my Mous items for a few days. I think there is a issue with my charging pad. It seems to only charge my phone for about 5% and then stops, if I leave the phone attached to the charging pad, it starts to charge again after about 10 minutes and then repeats this. The charging pad itself is quite hot, I think the charging pad is turning itself off when it gets too hot, so I suspect the charging pad is faulty ? I am using the official Mous Pixel 5 case and also the cable and car charger plug which came with the charger. I have ensured that there is no hot air coming from the cars air vent (it is completely off). I think this needs to be replaced, can you get back to me on what to do about this ? Thanks, Bobby.

jallenhayslett

Dec 23, 2012
**UPDATE**
So I have had both the car wireless charger and the Mous case for my P5 for nearly a week now and I have come across a charging issue. I emailed Mous customer support about it and got a reply today, which to be honest, does not really help me and I think they almost admit that the Mous products are not all they are cracked up to be. They refer to iphone (which certainly does not help me).They have offered a full refund, but I am going to do some more testing myself, as I have a 2 hour drive to do tomorrow and I "think" the issue I am having is to do with me using Android Auto (Google Maps) wirelessly in the car whilst charging, I'm not exactly sure yet, but I am not replying to them until I have done this final test. I am going to use wireless Google Maps for half of my journey with the P5 on the charger and the other half with the phone just sitting on the charger charging with no Google Maps on.I have copied and pasted their reply below, my original message to them, is at the end of their reply, so read this first before reading their reply and possibly give me your thoughts ?
Hi Bobby,

Thanks for reaching out to us and I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve had some issues with your Wireless Charger.

I've had a word with our tech wizards, and they have suggested that you please see possible troubleshooting advice for your phone not charging correctly below:

1. For Apple users: Apple is frequently updating their firmware, which affects the wireless charging system. Therefore some of Apple's own updates could make wireless charging worse or better while they are tuning the software.

2. Wireless charging works by transmitting power from one coil of wire to another, however, the alignment of these coils is very important to transmit the power efficiently. Please make sure that your phone (even without a case) is positioned correctly and centrally, as this will improve charging time and efficiency.

3. Please ensure the voltage is set to the highest possible output to ensure your charger has the best chance of functioning through our case. Some wireless chargers will not have enough power to transmit power to the phone with a case on so make sure you are using a wireless charger that has power from the mains or uses a high-quality USB adaptor supplying more than 1.2 Amps.

4. We will soon be launching Mous wireless charging accessories which are designed to work seamlessly with our cases and will perfectly auto-align the receiver and transmitter coils in the phone and charger.

However, I can appreciate that this is not relevant for everyone, so you are welcome to return your Car Mount if you still wish.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Richard
Customer Experience Advisor
Mous Products Ltd.

Is it a slow charging issue? One thing I've noticed with wireless car chargers is that, even when they are getting full power, they can't keep up with the power drain from using maps and other apps. I can't say if this applies to iPhone as well, since my last iPhone was the 4s, and I only have experience with the wireless on the Pixel 5, but whenever I run Google Maps and listen to Spotify at the same time, the power draw and charging hit a sort of break-even.

The Mous charger is a little bit better since it uses USB-C, but my previous charger that used Micro-USB couldn't keep up. I also think heat plays a role in it as well. Hot, sunny days on the dashboard seem to keep the phone hot. Add that to the heat produced from the wireless charging and you've got a recipe for faster battery drain. That's just speculation, though, so don't quote me on that.

All that said, I have noticed it stopped charging a couple times recently on particularly hot days, but once I got moving and the AC had time to cool the inside temperature down it started charging again. I also have both of the vents on the left and right side of the charger aimed directly at the mount to help get more airflow around it.

I haven't seen it happen enough to show cause for concern, but if yours is cutting out that often then it may actually be faulty. If you haven't already, try a different USB-C car adapter. If it does the same thing, take it inside your home and plug it into a USB-C wall charger. My guess is, if it's not a faulty pad, that it's either a car adapter or heat issue, and trying those two things will eliminate one or the other, or maybe both. Finally, just for good measure, if it's still an issue, try a different USB-C cable. Sometimes it's just that simple.

Just a sidebar, if you use Discord on your phone, consider closing it when not in use. I've noticed since their latest update that it burns through my battery to the tune of about 20%/hr when I'm on 5g.

Last edited:

taymo

Nov 2, 2011
Georgia
Google Pixel 5
I've been researching this one. It has a heafty price but, reviews have been majorally positive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210608-233628.png
    Screenshot_20210608-233628.png
    695.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20210608-233641.png
    Screenshot_20210608-233641.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 56

_aa_

Aug 5, 2011
Toledo
uaau.ws
I have the Mous Limitless 3.0 case and the wireless charging vent mount with my pixel 5. Had them for about 4 months. The case and mount work very good. Magnets are strong. I've never had the phone fall while driving and it charges at 15w reliably for me. Both vertically and horizontally. I think it's important that you use the included cable and cigarette lighter adapter.

I have an Anker Qi desktop charger and it charges at 15w through the Mous case. Not magnetic, though.

Downside for the Mous is the whopping price tag. I also think the case is a bit bulky but I'm used to it now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I would imagine there would be no magnetic attachment compatibility if the phone attaches to the Pixel Stand magnetically, but, as far as wireless charging, to the best of my knowledge it does not interfere with any other wireless charging devices.

I have two Anker wireless chargers, one pad and one stand, and I haven't had any trouble with either one.

My Mous items arrived today. The case fits nicely, the car air vent actually works well in my car, but I can see it pulling off the vent eventually when removing the phone, but it's not where I want my phone. So I have ordered a 17mm ball joint from Amazon, so I can have it exactly where I want my phone to sit in the car. I've tested the wireless charging and magnetic strength and all is good. I have also tested the wireless charging on my two Pixel stands and my Anker stand also and they all charge fine through the case. So all good for a while :). Looking at the case in more detail and feeling it, I have high confidence in this case protecting my phone should I drop it. Thanks for the help I've had in making a decision for this purchase.