Compiling Roms Thread: Build errors, bootloops, ...

Search This thread

Flo0008

Nov 2, 2013
Hi everybody!

Finally, our LG G2 got an Developer Discussion area. So I decided to create this thread:

This thread is set up for people who want to compile roms for our great device. Perhaps you compiled already
a rom sucessfull but the rom isn't booting? Post it here! Errors during the compile process? Again, write it in this
section here. Apps are crashing on your compiled rom? In here again!

This thread should be kept clean, no offtopic, this means no questions when a rom will be published.
This area should only be for devs or for people who want to get one.

Thank you and happy compiling!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: rafitcu and zg85

RenderBroken

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2013
/home/renderbroken/android
Hi everybody!

I need help from devs please:

So, I built Slim LP for the D802 but my problem is I am stuck in a bootloop (at the LG logo) after a clean installation.

I use the GCC 4.8 toolchain to compile the rom and the kernel.

Perhaps a dev can take a look on my local_manifest.xml if there are missing any needed repos.

Slim LP: https://github.com/Flo0008/android_scripts/blob/lp5.0/.repo/local_manifests/local_manifest.xml

Device tree:
https://github.com/Flo0008/android_device_lge_d802

https://github.com/Flo0008/android_device_lge_g2-common

I ran . build/envsetup.sh, then lunch slim_d802-userdebug and then make -j8 otapackage.
Do I have to run another command?

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps @arcardinal, have you an idea what causes the bootloop?

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app

How far do you get? Do you see Slim's boot logo? Also when you open the created zip, does everything look to be there? Like boot.img and such? Can you think of any more info?

Reactions: Flo0008

Flo0008

Nov 2, 2013
How far do you get? Do you see Slim's boot logo? Also when you open the created zip, does everything look to be there? Like boot.img and such? Can you think of any more info?

Thanks firstly for your help!

I get until the LG bootlogo, not further. I didn't see the bootlogo of Slimrom.
I have the same problem with AOSP, I don't get further than the LG logo.
SlimLP: After some time (at the LG logo) the phone starts vibrating but not more.
I flashed the roms via TWRP recovery and my phone is running the latest KK version 20h.

The boot.img is there and seems ok with a size of about 5.7Mb in the .zip file, the system folder seems to be complete and the META folder is also there.
In the thread of another device I read something about a problem with com.qualcomm.location in system/app or anything but I can't find this file there.

There were no errors during the flash-process on my device too. A problem I recogniced on AOSP LP was when I rebooted the device after flashing the rom with TWRP, that I got on a screen where on the top left is written:

[650] Fastboot mode started
[700] udc_start()

For both roms I used the kernel source of lg-dev's repo. One weird thing I recognized on AOSP was that the .zip file has only about 166Mb, SlimLP has a .zip size of aroung 195Mb.

I was thinking about that I am perhaps missing any device specific repo here on my local_manifest: https://github.com/Flo0008/android_scripts/blob/aosp_g2/.repo/local_manifests/local_manifest.xml
or I asked myself if I have to run any file like extract-files.sh in the device repo here: https://github.com/Flo0008/android_device_lge_d802/tree/aosp5.0.

One more thing I tried was to replace the boot.img of both roms with that one from CM's. Nevertheless nothing changed, the rom didn't boot up.

If you need more information please tell me.

Thank you very much!!!

Last edited:

RenderBroken

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2013
Thanks firstly for your help!

I get until the LG bootlogo, not further. I didn't see the bootlogo of Slimrom.
I have the same problem with AOSP, I don't get further than the LG logo.
SlimLP: After some time (at the LG logo) the phone starts vibrating but not more.
I flashed the roms via TWRP recovery and my phone is running the latest KK version 20h.

The boot.img is there and seems ok with a size of about 5.7Mb in the .zip file, the system folder seems to be complete and the META folder is also there.
In the thread of another device I read something about a problem with com.qualcomm.location in system/app or anything but I can't find this file there.

There were no errors during the flash-process on my device too. A problem I recogniced on AOSP LP was when I rebooted the device after flashing the rom with TWRP, that I got on a screen where on the top left is written:

[650] Fastboot mode started
[700] udc_start()

For both roms I used the kernel source of lg-dev's repo. One weird thing I recognized on AOSP was that the .zip file has only about 166Mb, SlimLP has a .zip size of aroung 195Mb.

I was thinking about that I am perhaps missing any device specific repo here on my local_manifest: https://github.com/Flo0008/android_scripts/blob/aosp_g2/.repo/local_manifests/local_manifest.xml
or I asked myself if I have to run any file like extract-files.sh in the device repo here: https://github.com/Flo0008/android_device_lge_d802/tree/aosp5.0.

One more thing I tried was to replace the boot.img of both roms with that one from CM's. Nevertheless nothing changed, the rom didn't boot up.

If you need more information please tell me.

Thank you very much!!!

Did I understand right that you are on a KK Bootloader? You need to be on a JB Bootloader for all of the current LP Source out right now. Try that and see if you get any further.

Flo0008

Nov 2, 2013
Thanks again. Yes I am on KK bootloader but I dont understand why Cyanogenmod 12 is working. But thanks for the information, I will try it.

Flo0008

Nov 2, 2013
So, what I did now: I flashed the JB baseband on my device via TWRP, rebooted to recovery and flashed SlimLP, but I still get a bootloop.

Or should I flash the .kdz of a JellybeanRom?

And do you know how to fix this error? I get it when I try to build AOSP LP.

/bin/sh: 1: cd: can't cd to out/target/product/d802/obj/KERNEL_OBJ
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/fabio/rasta/kernel/lge/msm8974'
Makefile:121: *** output directory "out/target/product/d802/obj/KERNEL_OBJ" does not exist. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fabio/rasta/kernel/lge/msm8974'
make: *** [out/target/product/d802/obj/KERNEL_OBJ/.config] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Last edited:

reaper61616

Nov 23, 2010
Brodnica
First:
In root directory of rom: make clean -> this should fix build error.

My proposition:
1. repo init -u https://github.com/SlimRoms/platform_manifest -b lp5.0-caf
2. roomservice.xml need to looks like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>

# Device Specific part
<project path="device/lge/d802" name="Flo0008/android_device_lge_d802" revision="lp5.0" remote="github" />
<project path="device/lge/g2-common" name="Flo0008/android_device_lge_g2-common" revision="lp5.0" remote="github" />
<project path="kernel/lge/msm8974" name="Flo0008/android_kernel_lge_msm8974" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />
<project path="vendor/lge" name="Flo0008/proprietary_vendor_lge" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />

</manifest>

3. repo sync.

. build/envsetup.sh
brunch d802

Try this if you want. :)

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

When finish building of DU will try SlimLP :)

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

SlimLP has a .zip size of aroung 195Mb.

Size of compiled CM12 is about 240 MB -> something is missing in your build...

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

look here:
https://github.com/TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_lge/blob/cm-12.0/d802/d802-vendor-blobs.mk
See how much blobs is there...

insteed of using your blobs try TheMuppets's blobs:

https://github.com/TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_lge

add this to roomservice.xml

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

My last proposition is to try using cm device tree and kernel...

<manifest>

# Device Specific part
<project path="device/lge/d802" name="CyanogenMod/android_device_lge_d802" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />
<project path="device/lge/g2-common" name="CyanogenMod/android_device_lge_g2-common" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />
<project path="kernel/lge/msm8974" name="CyanogenMod/android_kernel_lge_msm8974" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />
<project path="vendor/lge" name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_lge" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />

</manifest>

Then make some changes in device/lge/d802 .

:)

Flo0008

Nov 2, 2013
Thanks for your answer. I use already CM device repos (from lg-devs), all device specific folders are picked from them and I modified only some things for SlimLP.

I have to use the caf branch of Slim?

reaper61616

Nov 23, 2010
Brodnica
Thanks for your answer. I use already CM device repos (from lg-devs), all device specific folders are picked from them and I modified only some things for SlimLP.

I have to use the caf branch of Slim?

I think this is problem with blobs... Try using TheMuppets and will see :)

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Yes, need CAF branch :)

Flo0008

Nov 2, 2013
@RenderBroken

Can you or anybody else help me with this build error on AOSP Lollipop?

Target boot image: /data1/Flo0008/aosp_g2/out/target/product/d802/boot.img
usage: mkbootimg
--kernel <filename>
--ramdisk <filename>
[ --second <2ndbootloader-filename> ]
[ --cmdline <kernel-commandline> ]
[ --board <boardname> ]
[ --base <address> ]
[ --pagesize <pagesize> ]
-o|--output <filename>
device/lge/g2-common/releasetools/mkbootimg.mk:47: recipe for target '/data1/Flo0008/aosp_g2/out/target/product/d802/boot.img' failed
make: *** [/data1/Flo0008/aosp_g2/out/target/product/d802/boot.img] Error 1

Thanks in advance.

DeeZigneZ

Oct 12, 2014
Wished i had knowledge i would help.
If u need any tester for d802 u can Holla at me..

Maybe ASK @varund7726 Compiler of resurection remix he did Good job on the Rom...maybe he can give u advice..since he is a Good dev who also helps others.

Good luck my friend..

RenderBroken

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2013
@RenderBroken

--kernel <filename>
--ramdisk <filename>
[ --board <boardname> ]
[ --base <address> ]
-o|--output <filename>
device/lge/g2-common/releasetools/mkbootimg.mk:47: recipe for target '/data1/Flo0008/aosp_g2/out/target/product/d802/boot.img' failed

Thanks in advance.

This error means that the mkbootimg tool you have is not the correct one. Apparently there are more than one out there and the other supports different flags. Use the one here:

https://github.com/RenderBroken/mkbootimg_tools

Also CAF (to me) doesnt seem to be ready as a Daily Driver. Are you just wanting to mess around or get out a fully functioning build? I do know that LG-Devs CAF branch is still being worked on. Not sure about TheMuppets but they are always solid. Still LP CAF is not stable yet.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

First:

My proposition:

3. repo sync.

. build/envsetup.sh
brunch d802

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

look here:
https://github.com/TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_lge/blob/cm-12.0/d802/d802-vendor-blobs.mk

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Great Info! Thanks for chiming in.

Flo0008

Nov 2, 2013
@RenderBroken

I built AOSP LP again today, build size seems ok with around 200Mb but when I tried to flash the rom I gout stuck in TWRP. A kind of a flashloop (instead of bootloop) - anyway, the device didn't get bricked althought I shut down the phone after that. This means the .zip file didn't flash. Any ideas?

And where can I paste your mkbootimg_tools repo to build the boot.img with it?

And one more thing: In lollipop (Cyanogenmod 12) all the system files and so on get compressed into a .dat file, right? I have the problem, for me there isn't such a file in my .zip file ... Do you know what to do against this problem?

I hope I don't bother you too much ...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its not booting because of hardware/qcom/display. You need this commit for now
    https://gerrit.slimroms.net/#/c/20632/

If you look at the comments though, it breaks hammerhead from compiling. Until I can find a better solution, which may not happen, I won't be updating the g2 repos for slim.

Also, slim for g2 needs to be compiled on slimlp-caf branch, even though our kernel is not caf.

All my repos are up to date here
    www.github.com/CardinalTesting

Vendor is here
    www.github.com/arcardinal/proprietary_vendor_lge

lp5.0 branches for all my repos
    Ok Good to know that you are working on a lollipop edition of Slim roms. I don't to be rube or something else, but Are you planning to release it asap it gets stable?

Thanks in advance

I think we are diverging the subject of the thread, so if you or anybody want to talk me just PM. I'm not creating a new thread for that in the meantime, and I wish we don't spam this thread because I intend and the OP as well, this thread to be a helpful thread for new developers, I just posted the screenshots here because we were talking about SlimLP some pages ago.

Reworking on AOSP will be next step together maintaining the SlimLP unofficial.

Thanks guys.
    Also had the problem with AOSP going directly into fastboot menu, I have adapted everything I could. Using a prebuilt kernel the AOSP booted properly together some CM stuff I needed to add, now I just got some FC to handle, better, a lot of them. I'm using SimpleAOSP source code for now, It's quite modified but it keeps the AOSP base.
    About building SlimLP I did a test build for my D802 in December 11th and it ran properly, all apps and no force closes, got a very good result but I couldn't upload the modifications to GitHub because I was just learning how to git checkout, git rebase, git fetch/merge and so on...

If you want help on the SlimLP I'm available to help you out whenever you want, are you planning to build for the other variants as well OP?

Thanks for using the Dev section it's very useful for us to change ideas.
    First:

My proposition:
    <manifest>

# Device Specific part
    <project path="device/lge/d802" name="Flo0008/android_device_lge_d802" revision="lp5.0" remote="github" />
    <project path="device/lge/g2-common" name="Flo0008/android_device_lge_g2-common" revision="lp5.0" remote="github" />
    <project path="kernel/lge/msm8974" name="Flo0008/android_kernel_lge_msm8974" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />
    <project path="vendor/lge" name="Flo0008/proprietary_vendor_lge" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />

</manifest>

3. repo sync.

. build/envsetup.sh
    brunch d802

SlimLP has a .zip size of aroung 195Mb.

look here:

<manifest>

# Device Specific part
    <project path="device/lge/d802" name="CyanogenMod/android_device_lge_d802" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />
    <project path="device/lge/g2-common" name="CyanogenMod/android_device_lge_g2-common" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />
    <project path="kernel/lge/msm8974" name="CyanogenMod/android_kernel_lge_msm8974" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />
    <project path="vendor/lge" name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_lge" revision="cm-12.0" remote="github" />

</manifest>

@RenderBroken

--kernel <filename>
    --ramdisk <filename>
    [ --board <boardname> ]
    [ --base <address> ]
    -o|--output <filename>

Thanks in advance.

This error means that the mkbootimg tool you have is not the correct one. Apparently there are more than one out there and the other supports different flags. Use the one here:

https://github.com/RenderBroken/mkbootimg_tools

Also CAF (to me) doesnt seem to be ready as a Daily Driver. Are you just wanting to mess around or get out a fully functioning build? I do know that LG-Devs CAF branch is still being worked on. Not sure about TheMuppets but they are always solid. Still LP CAF is not stable yet.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

First:

My proposition:

3. repo sync.

. build/envsetup.sh
    brunch d802

look here:

Great Info! Thanks for chiming in.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone