• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

complete data backup

Search This thread

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
You mean built-in to make a direct local copy? There isn't really anything analogous to iPhone/iOS backups.
Google is working on fixing that with Android 12 and 13. See the developer documentation.
Don't hold your breath.

For now:

ADB: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
Extract and then:

For all app data:
./adb devices
./adb backup -noapk -noshared -all -system -f backup_appdata_plus_system.ab
./adb disconnect

For a specific app's data:
./adb backup -f com.something.some_app.ab com.something.some_app

To restore, after installing the apk manually (from a Store, for example):
./adb restore some_app.ab

You can specify multiple apps:
./adb backup -f multiple_apps.ab com.something.some_app com.something.another_app
./adb restore multiple_apps.ab

Note: You cannot easily restore a specific app from a large full-system backup (as shown above, 1st thing above).

Use Android Backup Extractor (abe.jar) to extract the ab files to examine them if you like:
java -jar abe.jar unpack com.something.some_app.ab com.something.some_app.tar password_here

See a list of all packages:
./adb shell pm list packages

Cloud:
Google Drive Backup -- it's end-to-end encrypted and free BUT limited to 25MB of App Data PER APP, otherwise it won't backup that app.
SMS and Calls Backup Pro -- to Google Drive (end-to-end encrypted) OR Local.

Other:
Shared Storage Space -- Copy it or Sync it somehow -- with FTP and FreeFileSync OR Syncthing.

Samsung gives you Smart Switch and their own cloud. It is good enough and supplementary to Google's efforts.

Do all of these together once a week or something.

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
By the way, Google is in the process of deprecating ADB backup.
They've held off for now, it seems.
You'll have to wait an year or two before a more robust app backup solution is pushed out.

Like everyone else has stated there isn't a TWRP like full backup for our P5's, but in the meantime, on the system side, I've been using Swift Backup Pro to backup all my important apps, mms, sms, etc and it's been awesome! Great features and nice interface as well!

So not TWRP or system image backup, but helps alleviate the pain of wiping and re-flashing or factory defaulting.

Reactions: xunholyx

nixnixnixnix4

Mar 15, 2021
Like everyone else has stated there isn't a TWRP like full backup for our P5's, but in the meantime, on the system side, I've been using Swift Backup Pro to backup all my important apps, mms, sms, etc and it's been awesome! Great features and nice interface as well!

So not TWRP or system image backup, but helps alleviate the pain of wiping and re-flashing or factory defaulting.
Swift Backup Pro cannot backup App Data without Root.
Only the adb commands I've shown above and Google Cloud Bsckup (E2EE) can backup and restore App Data without root.
Let's say you have an offline notepad app which has notes inside its app data and some settings to go along with it. Only the 2 things I mentioned above can backup and transfer that data to a new phone (Google Cloud and adb). Of course, if the app provides something internally to do a transfer or backup, that'd be great too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProjectAlly

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Swift Backup Pro cannot backup App Data without Root.
    Only the adb commands I've shown above and Google Cloud Bsckup (E2EE) can backup and restore App Data without root.
    Let's say you have an offline notepad app which has notes inside its app data and some settings to go along with it. Only the 2 things I mentioned above can backup and transfer that data to a new phone (Google Cloud and adb). Of course, if the app provides something internally to do a transfer or backup, that'd be great too.