Complete newbie needs help

Search This thread

MackiB

Jun 5, 2023
Hi all,
My Mom picked up the memo pad 7hd (me173x) running android version 4.2.2 at a garage sale this weekend. It appears to have been factory reset and I can connect it to my wifi But that’s where my troubles start. Some apps will update while others like system update give my errors regarding internet. Things like “internet connection error or the server is busy”. Using Chrome works for a very few websites but then I get SSL errors citing time & date are wrong but I’ve set both manually so i know they are right.
apps such as facebook, TikTok, crave, etc can’t be installed.
what can I do to make this tablet useable? I’ve never dealt with android systems before.

MarkR7

Aug 22, 2019
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
Hi all,
My Mom picked up the memo pad 7hd (me173x) running android version 4.2.2 at a garage sale this weekend. It appears to have been factory reset and I can connect it to my wifi But that’s where my troubles start. Some apps will update while others like system update give my errors regarding internet. Things like “internet connection error or the server is busy”. Using Chrome works for a very few websites but then I get SSL errors citing time & date are wrong but I’ve set both manually so i know they are right.
apps such as facebook, TikTok, crave, etc can’t be installed.
what can I do to make this tablet useable? I’ve never dealt with android systems before.
I have the tablet. At this point it's already ten years old and Asus, the bastards, never upgraded it past 4.2.4 Jelly Bean.
One developer put work into making LineageOS 14.1/Android 7.1 onto it.
That's recent enough to make most apps still work, even though we go to Android 14 now. If it stays on Android 4.2 you might find old app versions that work, but would be basically an ereader, some video viewer, etc.
If you follow steps in Dev thread carefully, you can make it work:

_AI_

It's been a long time since I've posted here as well. Looks like I was given an ASUS Memo Pad 7 LTE instead of the me176c variant? How would one check which version they have? Also, this tablet is another case of running 4.4.2 and not being able to update to Android Lollipop to get the UEFI bootloader for postmarketOS.....does anyone have a 5.1.1 rom link that works for this guy?