[CONCLUSION/HW ISSUE] G920f IMEI issues > NO SIM issue = factory warranty accepted

Search This thread

brenner650

Jan 12, 2016
Prague
Hello,

bought a used g920f s6 recently with no info of country of origin or original fw, it was stuck on logo, without warranty.
Knox was triped and twrp installed, tried flash several stock fw, allways stuck on logo, tried Soft Switch restore, but still the same.
Finally flashed latest Unikernel, and it booted up, flashed a ton of fw`s, if no unikernel allways stuck at logo, so I decided to leave unikernel, but IMEI reset to 35000000000000006, and emergency only (with signal bars) and no way of SIM registering to network, so i called few repair shops and even Samsung, most of them wanted to change the motherboard, and finally found a guy who said he can fix it with Z3X box.

He restored IMEI, but still SIM not registered and emergency only, so he said to leave him phone overnight to try reflash, I have been googling a bit before and asked him some questions about EFS and he said he doesnt know anything about it.
Later he called me and asked wich kernel was I using and somehow he managed to get SIM registered.
When I asked him how hw fixed it he said he patched the modem.
I brought the phone home to find out that phone often looses network registration, but signal bars are always there.

Since then tried to reflash several modems,bootloaders and fw`s, but either no network registration, or it often looses it randomly.
Last I flashed xstrestolite rom with unikernel from Aroma, but problem with network remains even with SIM from other operator and Model number changed to G925K.

Everything flashed through Odin, except Xtrestolite, following instructions provided with Aroma.
Tried with auto settings, LTE, WCDMA, GSM, signal jumps from 4g to 3g and vice versa, it is around 90-115 dBm, but asu often drops to 0 (have G360F on same location, has around 100 dBm and 40+ asu with same SIM on LTE)

Does anyone have some experience with this kind of issue, or could give me some advice how to fix it.

Galaxy S6
5.1.1 Android
Baseband: G920FXXU3COI9
Kernel: 3.10.61-S6 UniKernel v9-0000 Initial
gl@BlueDingo #1
Thu Sep 10 19:10:19 BST 2015
Build number: XtreStoLite Deo Mod v.2.4 - XXU3COI9
Fcc A3LSMG925F

If any other info needed I will gladly provide it asap just to fix this.
Thanks

Last edited:

brenner650

Jan 12, 2016
Prague
...no one had such experience and mange to fix it?
I also noticed that s/n is different on back of the phone and in phone options.

Tried smart switch one more time, noticed that SS was instaling ITV fw, so I guess it had an Italian fw on it, or am I wrong?

And I want to rule out the possibility of hw failure.

Update:

After re-initialising phone with Smart Switch, stuck on logo, flashed unikernel, boot successfull, but emergency only, and no way of registering to network automatic or manualy, both on LTE or WCDMA/GSM.
Flashed Adam kernel, same, SIM registered only when reset band disable on LTE or WCDMA in service mode, but signal strength 113 dBm, asu 0, so still unsuefull, starting to seriously doubt in hw failure.
Wifi works fine.
Will try flashing several modems over the weekend.
:(

Any ideas?

Thx

Last edited:

xstokerx

Jan 26, 2012
winnipeg
Google Pixel 5
...no one had such experience and mange to fix it?
I also noticed that s/n is different on back of the phone and in phone options.

Tried smart switch one more time, noticed that SS was instaling ITV fw, so I guess it had an Italian fw on it, or am I wrong?

And I want to rule out the possibility of hw failure.

Update:

After re-initialising phone with Smart Switch, stuck on logo, flashed unikernel, boot successfull, but emergency only, and no way of registering to network automatic or manualy, both on LTE or WCDMA/GSM.
Flashed Adam kernel, same, SIM registered only when reset band disable on LTE or WCDMA in service mode, but signal strength 113 dBm, asu 0, so still unsuefull, starting to seriously doubt in hw failure.
Wifi works fine.
Will try flashing several modems over the weekend.
:(

Any ideas?

Thx

I tryed helping another guy with this same problem and we couldnt find anyway to fix it as he could not get the stock firmwares to flash threw odin and unless u have a efs back up i think your outta luck its not a hardware thing its software has to do with mix match boatloader modem or curupt broken efs folder. Only fix ive heard is flashing stock threw odin.

brenner650

Jan 12, 2016
Prague
I tryed helping another guy with this same problem and we couldnt find anyway to fix it as he could not get the stock firmwares to flash threw odin and unless u have a efs back up i think your outta luck its not a hardware thing its software has to do with mix match boatloader modem or curupt broken efs folder. Only fix ive heard is flashing stock threw odin.

I dont have stock efs backup, when I got phone it was stuck on logo with twrp flashed.
But now i initialized phone throug Smart switch, shouldn`t that restore original efs?

Backed up everything after Smart switch reinitialization, just in case, this is only efs backup I have.

xstokerx

Jan 26, 2012
winnipeg
Google Pixel 5
I dont have stock efs backup, when I got phone it was stuck on logo with twrp flashed.
But now i initialized phone throug Smart switch, shouldn`t that restore original efs?

Backed up everything after Smart switch reinitialization, just in case, this is only efs backup I have.

It should ive never used so not sure but looks like ur on the right track to getting it working

brenner650

Jan 12, 2016
Prague
It should ive never used so not sure but looks like ur on the right track to getting it working

Do you think that efs backup from another g920f would work?
Or there is a way to rebuild efs folder?

I tried adb steps from post below, back when my IMEI was 360000000000006, and got error in the process.
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s6/help/help-restore-lost-imei-serial-sm-g920fd-t3239815/page3
(For Fixing Efs.

adb shell
/system/xbin/su
mke2fs /dev/block/sda3
mkdir /efs
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/sda3 /efs (this line did not work for me)
reboot)

Do you think that efs backup from another g920f phone would work?

xstokerx

Jan 26, 2012
winnipeg
Google Pixel 5

I tried adb steps from post below, back when my IMEI was 360000000000006, and got error in the process.
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s6/help/help-restore-lost-imei-serial-sm-g920fd-t3239815/page3
(For Fixing Efs.

adb shell
/system/xbin/su
mke2fs /dev/block/sda3
mkdir /efs
reboot)

Well in all the reading ive only heard of flashing stock trew odin but im sure there are other ways of recovering
Maybe this work?
Preparation:
1. Flash stock latest firmware.
2. CF autoroot doesn't work for 5.1.1 anymore. Use Unikernel Latest version by g.lewarne. Download the Odin version.
3. Install custom recovery, I use Philztouch/CWM for this. Download the odin version for your device.
4. Download SuperSu flashable zip by Chainfire. Get the latest.
5. Download ADB tool in your pc.
6. Install Recovery and Unikernel via Odin. Don't expect for your device to work at this moment. Reboot to recovery after this.
7. Go to Mounts & Storage and mount System.
8. Install SuperSu via adb sideload (enable install via sideload first in Philz):

> adb sideload <supersu.zip location in pc>

or push the file in your sdcard:

> adb push <supersu.zip location in pc> /sdcard

and install it via Philz recovery.

Backup EFS.
1. Backup EFS and radio?? (Just to be sure if radio does have imei info also) just backup, it will do no harm to you.

From adb cmd type this:

> adb shell
> /system/xbin/su
#> dd if=/dev/block/sda3 of=/sdcard/efs.img bs=4096
#> dd if=/dev/block/sda8 of=/sdcard/radio.img bs=4096

--Note it's better to save the file in external via USB-OTG. Just mount it via Philz.
--I'm not sure of your model device but SDA3 (efs) and SDA8 (radio) refers to the efs and radio partitions, mine is G920FD, it is device specific. If unsure you can check which mount should you. It will give you what you need. From adb type this:

> cd /dev/block/platform/15570000.ufs/by-name/
> ll (or ls -l)

<comment> It's double letter L, now you could see which partitions/mounts to use.

2. After that, backup it for safety.

3. If you want to restore in the future:

> dd if=/sdcard/efs.img of=/dev/block/sda3 bs=4096
> dd if=/sdcard/radio.img of=/dev/block/sda8 bs=4096

For Fixing EFS:

> adb shell
> /system/xbin/su
#> mke2fs /dev/block/sda3
#> mkdir /efs
#> mount -t ext4 /dev/block/sda3 /efs
#> reboot

Now your device should boot properly.

Note: all credit goes to @batuzai04123, as I only made some typo correction and added the step to mount /system in recovery prior tu issue adb commands, which him forgot to include in his guide.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2392632
http://www.technobezz.com/fix-samsung-galaxy-unknown-baseband-version/
And two more to have a read trew

Reactions: MoHuToP

brenner650

Jan 12, 2016
Prague
I tried adb shell commands, but I must say that I am not familiar with linux commands, and specified commands did not work for me (probably I typed something wrong).
On folder list efs foleder was marked hidden, and there was a18 mark, not sda3, modem folder was marked sda8, as in command.
Tried to run command as is, and even change sda3 to a18 or sda18, but still got cannot find folder error.
EFS Professional looks promising, just need to figure it out, note that device s/n is different from number on back of the phone.
3CladRi.png

Update:

Boot up phone - emergency only..
enter service mode/band selection/automatic/LTE band 19 phone connects to network and I am able to make calls
Sometimes signal drops and I am back to emergency only, then if I repeat steps from above (even if that band is allready selected) phone reconnects and I am again able to make calls temporarily.

Can anyone tell me is this Netwrok mode normal?
aw9snc.png

Update:

Managed to fix wrong s/n via ES file explorer, in the efs folder found file serial whith zeros in it, changed zeros to number from back of the phone, restart device and now serial is correct in phone info.

But manage to mess up something probably in the service mode, because now my SIM is not recognized (If I pull it out while phone is open, it detects that SIM has been removed), and no mobile networks in settings :(
Will try reflash and see if that helps.

Update:

Reflashing stock ITV fw, did not help, still no SIM and no mobile networks menu. :/

Last edited:

brenner650

Jan 12, 2016
Prague
Can anyone with g920f G920FXXU3COI9 ITV fw make efs backup with TWRP and upload pls?

Last edited:

brenner650

Jan 12, 2016
Prague
Yesterday I picked up phone after it spent three weeks in repair service, they couldnt fix no SIM issue, telling me it is a software issue.
IMEI of the phone was unknown, same as sn, and csc.
I used Smartswitch emergency initialization, and flashed unikernel and now IMEI is back, but still no SIM, and no mobile networks menu.
Also when I try to turn Mobile data on, via shortcut, it ask me to insert SIM.

So to sumarize:
-tried to turn radio off and on in service mode
-phone is showing network signal
-there is no Mobile networks menu in the settings
-in service mode SIM is shown as not attached
-when tried to select EU band (or any other) in service mode, says unavailable

Last edited:

graphbyte

Apr 14, 2010
bentong Pahang
try this bro... flash any stock rom via odin.. root using any available tool.. install xplore file manager and grant root permission... go to EFS folder in root/system/efs.... delete all file inside efs folder... reboot device... (let android system auto restore efs) now boot to download mode again.. and flash again stock rom... now its should boot up and your emei restored.... good luck...

brenner650

Jan 12, 2016
Prague
try this bro... flash any stock rom via odin.. root using any available tool.. install xplore file manager and grant root permission... go to EFS folder in root/system/efs.... delete all file inside efs folder... reboot device... (let android system auto restore efs) now boot to download mode again.. and flash again stock rom... now its should boot up and your emei restored.... good luck...

Thanks, my IMEI is shown in IMEI info, but not in SIM info.
I will try that today and post results. :)

brenner650

Jan 12, 2016
Prague
yeah.. its all about EFS thing to configure the system... theres nothing wrong with the hardware.. thrust me... i just get throw it before with my Mega 6.3 lte.. (sorry for my bad english)..

well, deleting everything inside efs folder resulted in IMEI 3600000000006 after reboot.
but..after flasing fw through odin, and booting into recovery, after dead android with exclamation mark logo, it does not say dm verity verification failed...check drk, instead says:
*MANUAL MODE*
-- appling (this is not a typo, it actualy says: appling) Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : ITV
Successfully applied multi-CSC

wiped data/factory reset...reboot system... stuck at logo.
after that in recovery again says dm verity verifcation failed....check drk
after twrp and unikernel instalation, booted successfully, but IMEI still 3600000000006, and still no SIM detected, along with mobile networks menu in settings :/

Last edited:

lummujaj

Jun 21, 2011
Only z3x or Octoplus can fix your phone at this point ....you need imei and network repair. Go to 3rd party mobile service ( mostly of them own z3x they will fix 100% and gona cost you 30€ something )
Until you get back a normal imei and sn from backplate you wont be able to get network data...

Last edited:

brenner650

Jan 12, 2016
Prague
Only z3x or Octoplus can fix your phone at this point ....you need imei and network repair. Go to 3rd party mobile service ( mostly of them own z3x they will fix 100% and gona cost you 30€ something )
Until you get back a normal imei and sn from backplate you wont be able to get network data...

I restored efs backup i made before last post, so IMEI is back in IMEI info, sn appears if I write it in serial file i found in somewhere in efs folder.
Mobile networks menu still missing from settings, and still no SIM.

As for 3rd party mobile service, I will try to find someone who actually knows what he is doing.

Is there a way to boot official fw without custom kernel on phone once rooted, after Smart Switch emergency initialization?
My phone is allways stuck on boot logo if I dont flash custom kernel.

lummujaj

Jun 21, 2011
I restored efs backup i made before last post, so IMEI is back in IMEI info, sn appears if I write it in serial file i found in somewhere in efs folder.
Mobile networks menu still missing from settings, and still no SIM.

As for 3rd party mobile service, I will try to find someone who actually knows what he is doing.

Is there a way to boot official fw without custom kernel on phone once rooted, after Smart Switch emergency initialization?
My phone is allways stuck on boot logo if I dont flash custom kernel.

Stuckin in boot logo its not a problem. Its meesing around with firmwares and recoveries. But if your imei is 3600000000000xxx blla blla its not OK... You MUST MUST MUST have the same imei from back panel ... Check back panel there is a small imei there...

brenner650

Jan 12, 2016
Prague
Stuckin in boot logo its not a problem. Its meesing around with firmwares and recoveries. But if your imei is 3600000000000xxx blla blla its not OK... You MUST MUST MUST have the same imei from back panel ... Check back panel there is a small imei there...
IMEI is the same as on the back of the phone now, but after graphbyte steps in above post, it changed to 3500000000006, fortunately I made a efs backup before i tried it so I just restored it and now it`s same as on the back of the phone in IMEI info in settings, only in SIM info in settings, IMEI is unknown, like everything else in that menu

lummujaj

Jun 21, 2011
Is your sim pin code recognized ... After put sim inside go *#0011# to see if CERT is PASS or FAIL... Anyway you need network repair with z3x

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

(For Fixing Efs.

adb shell
    /system/xbin/su
    mke2fs /dev/block/sda3
    mkdir /efs
    reboot)

Well in all the reading ive only heard of flashing stock trew odin but im sure there are other ways of recovering
    Maybe this work?
    Preparation:
    1. Flash stock latest firmware.
    2. CF autoroot doesn't work for 5.1.1 anymore. Use Unikernel Latest version by g.lewarne. Download the Odin version.
    3. Install custom recovery, I use Philztouch/CWM for this. Download the odin version for your device.
    4. Download SuperSu flashable zip by Chainfire. Get the latest.
    5. Download ADB tool in your pc.
    6. Install Recovery and Unikernel via Odin. Don't expect for your device to work at this moment. Reboot to recovery after this.
    7. Go to Mounts & Storage and mount System.
    8. Install SuperSu via adb sideload (enable install via sideload first in Philz):

> adb sideload <supersu.zip location in pc>

or push the file in your sdcard:

> adb push <supersu.zip location in pc> /sdcard

and install it via Philz recovery.

Backup EFS.
    1. Backup EFS and radio?? (Just to be sure if radio does have imei info also) just backup, it will do no harm to you.

From adb cmd type this:

> adb shell
    > /system/xbin/su
    #> dd if=/dev/block/sda3 of=/sdcard/efs.img bs=4096
    #> dd if=/dev/block/sda8 of=/sdcard/radio.img bs=4096

--Note it's better to save the file in external via USB-OTG. Just mount it via Philz.
    --I'm not sure of your model device but SDA3 (efs) and SDA8 (radio) refers to the efs and radio partitions, mine is G920FD, it is device specific. If unsure you can check which mount should you. It will give you what you need. From adb type this:

> cd /dev/block/platform/15570000.ufs/by-name/
    > ll (or ls -l)

<comment> It's double letter L, now you could see which partitions/mounts to use.

2. After that, backup it for safety.

3. If you want to restore in the future:

> dd if=/sdcard/efs.img of=/dev/block/sda3 bs=4096
    > dd if=/sdcard/radio.img of=/dev/block/sda8 bs=4096

For Fixing EFS:

> adb shell
    > /system/xbin/su
    #> mke2fs /dev/block/sda3
    #> mkdir /efs
    #> mount -t ext4 /dev/block/sda3 /efs
    #> reboot

Now your device should boot properly.

Note: all credit goes to @batuzai04123, as I only made some typo correction and added the step to mount /system in recovery prior tu issue adb commands, which him forgot to include in his guide.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2392632
    http://www.technobezz.com/fix-samsung-galaxy-unknown-baseband-version/
    And two more to have a read trew
    Is your sim pin code recognized ... After put sim inside go *#0011# to see if CERT is PASS or FAIL... Anyway you need network repair with z3x

Now you reminded me that I have changed my old SIM for new one, on my old one PIN was turned off, but on new it doesnt even asks for PIN after booting.
    Anyway I put new SIM in another phone and turn off PIN check, nothing new happend.

I ran 0011 code with Shortcut master, and select stack 1 (there was stack 1 and stack 2 in first menu), this is how it looks:

G920F
    m_wlZd2iWmq6SkjZHF7iF5eocNHLeqOjdrGIcwis3XTkWZQDRoWknzS0yGj5OlnffgLxpTbH3xW7-Xezsj2VYcEP9ohA-eKeLiiPAk6hl6IjqJYOXyqOuAYziYJA9b9VVSoI1jqPbn5dpn3KqddjzAyC71Ok52uZ9-f07uT2YgTDpu8sQgvWLmabYOMS5l1ese5-ymXirsJaZ8olk6TXbhl86SALw4zs6z1B3Xr-QOzOL7Yj4SkTBRPvdXFfXNkRJlGgXCJOfMXKKOasCdgnzAZJiQV8T6xtm7xo3yfZD61Ri1OICpLvKOGWpRI79CrMMNQWsj26amS01V69-xF2Btww7inO_mi6WdVhS83eGKs1-z1i30-aupleDRZX0LrN-fvsWa5ZYELN4bhtV8Y1ZtiW88GhMKxThzyK5pyVzun4ZR8BJQs5q3RCuubkycUoX94hpRUMRXJd1CdkS_7C-rCtFdWWklhRP4piwHATqlPlq44zpN8Z5XZvywV_0FO-snjHkka7iQ7jXg4gM5N4qrKG1nZz9jiEIjhKiJMucTzo-ysbJoZl6yDhI3zfznwiTTc7=w405-h719-no

However dialing *#0011# in G360F just for comparison, which is my other official (stock) phone looked different, and there was no option to choose stack:

G360F
    2rqookn.png
    I did it with twrp recovery, but if you are doing it with some app, I can download it.

here is efs backup with how to get back original imei inside use apps inside https://www.mediafire.com/?loh80547x1k5cg8
    They call me here if they stuck sonewhere ... I own plenty of cert files. Almost for all new Samsung devices. Ive a friend who gives me them. We corporate .. He stuck at bootlogo bcoze he didnt know to root. Always happens with s6 ... Im 99% sure your phone need just to flash a cert file ... Im sorry you had bad luck eith that Russian guy ... Root the phone yourself and go to him. Also he must have z3x pro ... Its very simple procedure. If he dont know ask him to do it yourself. Or say you will teach him if he let you finish the phone

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

This is not a problen of IMEI cert. I guarantee it ... I had s6 with factory imei and at my home didt get more than 2bars LTE eith it... Now i own OPT and i have full bars... S6 has so bad signal reception

no you didnt understand what is the problem
    the problem is i got new 920f working awsome with updates from samsung and Knox working but in few days i got emergency call only when i checked imei i found it 350000000000000 and it i didnt made backup
    and i flashed stock evrything...nothing changed then i took it to repair place he fixed it with octoplus or zex box (i did buy 920F because its Global and for roms i didnt wanna buy my country version because it sucks and no one make roms for it....so i didt get him fixed with difrent imei and difrent Sasung serial number but i managed to set back original IMEI and S/N info ...just in case wanna sell it later...but the problem is when i switched to LTE time time the signal drops in split sec but when i switched to gprs it never drops....i think i need some optimized radio.img or some stuff...if you can hook me with old radio.img version ill flash it

and this is the case for all who got this problem
    @tazaga
    Thanks for efs backup, I restored it to the phone yesterday, IMEI turned to unknown, and sn changed, probably to yours, and tried to change it with apps you provided.
    IMEI changer force closes, and device ID changer does not seem to change IMEI after reboot.
    Mobile networks menu is still missing from settings menu, and SIM is still not recognized :(
    But i managed to flash official fw, through Smart Switch, and now it boots without uni-kernel. (before it was stuck to Samsung logo)
    Been rather busy yesterday, so I did not have much time to play with phone, this morning battery is empty, so I will recharge it and give it a try again later.

1 install root
    2 install xposed installer
    3 install busy-box pro
    4 install device id changer pro 1.5.1 app (activate it on xposed installer)
    5 restart phone
    6 change imei with device id changer 1.5.1 pro app
    7 restart
    8 check imei dial *#06#
    9 if the app didn't work use ( imei changer pro 1.2 app "activate it on xposed installer" ) but don't uninstall device id changer..
    10 restart phone
    11 change imei with imei changer pro 1.2 app
    11 restart

( it works for me i can change my imei to whatever i want to....S/N is easy only modify serial_no file inside \efs\FactoryApp )