[CONFIRMED] Moto will honor warranty after unlock

Search This thread

phermey

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville, TN
i sent punit soni an email asking about the warranty policy on the pure edition.

"you guys are advertising unlockable bootloader on the 'pure edition'. a lot of us on the moto forums, and even more on droid life and android central are wanting to know if unlocking the bootloader will void the warranty.

motocare is giving us both yes and no answers depending on who we talk to. please get us some info on this soon. pre-orders start tomorrow and this is very important to a lot of early adopters. "

"We will honor warranty even if you unlock. Wait for official post on this."

Jan 12, 2010
i sent punit soni an email asking about the warranty policy on the pure edition.

"you guys are advertising unlockable bootloader on the 'pure edition'. a lot of us on the moto forums, and even more on droid life and android central are wanting to know if unlocking the bootloader will void the warranty.

motocare is giving us both yes and no answers depending on who we talk to. please get us some info on this soon. pre-orders start tomorrow and this is very important to a lot of early adopters. "

Man, this is great news! Moto is doing good things. But the battery of the phone got me concerned. After reading about this though, I think I can look past the battery. This surely helps us hackers :D

Reactions: phermey

Jan 12, 2010
Great news! So it means its fine to root on the first day (if rooting method is available) ? :D

for SuperSU, can't we download it from the Play Store and it can install or something? I need root. I need xposed and the Nlpwakelock module that can reduce the amount of wakelocks from Play Services, which can help the battery of this phone :good:

Jan 12, 2010
I mean to say was will we still get the latest firmware upgrade even when the phone is rooted ? f so then thats wonderful. :D

I assume if all you do is root the stock ROM, you can just unroot (completely remove SuperSU) and you'll be able to get the firmware upgrades again. if there is one single change in the /system, then firmware upgrades do not work. but by restoring it to how it's suppose to be, then the update will see no files changed and continue with the upgrade. that's how it worked with the Nexus phones, and the Moto X Pure Edition is essentially a Nexus phone with tweaks

Reactions: Jack Sparrow xda

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
I assume if all you do is root the stock ROM, you can just unroot (completely remove SuperSU) and you'll be able to get the firmware upgrades again. if there is one single change in the /system, then firmware upgrades do not work. but by restoring it to how it's suppose to be, then the update will see no files changed and continue with the upgrade. that's how it worked with the Nexus phones, and the Moto X Pure Edition is essentially a Nexus phone with tweaks

Is root already available?

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
I don't believe it until I read it in the fine print. I don't plan to unlock root my Moto G or X, but if I go to the bootloader unlock page it have to not mention anything about voiding your warranty in the process.

theideaweb

Aug 18, 2010
Excellent! I was a little concerned price wise that we'd be looking at another $100 tacked on to the $499 to get a 'Developer Edition' with an unlockable bootloader and warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Man, this is great news! Moto is doing good things. But the battery of the phone got me concerned. After reading about this though, I think I can look past the battery. This surely helps us hackers :D
    I mean to say was will we still get the latest firmware upgrade even when the phone is rooted ? f so then thats wonderful. :D

I don't believe it until I read it in the fine print. I don't plan to unlock root my Moto G or X, but if I go to the bootloader unlock page it have to not mention anything about voiding your warranty in the process.

the moto support forums manager confirmed my confirm.
    https://forums.motorola.com/posts/677736c888?page=2
    So I was poking around on the Moto site because I'm about to unlock my bootloader. Motorola seems to have the Pure Edition listed as a dev edition, at least according to the page where you can download the factory images.
    https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/recovery-images
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone